Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Guardians! First post here. Shortly after acquiring my first GEC (93 Ramfoot) and getting hooked, I had the pleasant opportunity to get my hands on this gorgeous Lambfoot. No safe queens here so looking forward to putting her to good use!

sLkfy6N.jpg

Dylan, those photos are absolutely fantastic :) It sounds like you had a fantastic time my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack! Your AC is always a good choice, it still remains my favorite of your SFOs.

Such great pictures, makes me want to go camping. :cool::thumbsup:

Thank you, John. I didn't get to do near as much camping this year as I usually do. Aside from planned hunting trips and knife gatherings, I haven't been out as much as I would have liked. My kids are a bit sore with me, understandably so... :oops:. On the bright side, I am investing in fishing gear for both of them as part of their Christmas presents so I'm working on that part of the equation at least :D.

I have the Waynorth in Ebony with me today. Paired with a dram or ten and a pleasant smoke on this cool autumn evening.

r7QN4nE.jpg

I got a few decent shots (hopefully all non-lambfoot blades have been adequately cropped out):

Incredible shots Dylan ! :thumbsup:

Bowl by our man Dan :cool: :thumbsup:

Dan's gift makes a wonderful backdrop for Lamb pics. :cool::thumbsup:
Thank you guys :)
We all gotta start somewhere. Thanks!
Welcome @Coldstorage :):thumbsup:
Guardians! First post here.
Beautiful lamb M MRpink :thumbsup: Welcome :)
With the fiber optic sight it almost feels like cheating ;)
WOW .... fiber optic sights for slingshots !!!.... down the rabbit hole I keep on falling and you guys are no help :D
Incredible Doc! :D :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack, here are some Chickadee action shots :)
BLT41tY.jpg

hbQdqyI.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Not sure how I glazed over the index but I have my evening reading planned. Cheers.

*edit: just glanced at the index and I’m blown away. What a commitment. I’m a 25 year record collector so I’m no stranger to fanaticism but ... wow...

Hope you enjoyed reading up on all things Lambsfoot :thumbsup:

Decadent!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Living the high life! :D :thumbsup:

My lambsfoot barlow with my current favorite catty. With the fiber optic sight it almost feels like cheating ;). Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday.

View attachment 1235592

Very sophisticated Jon, looks impressive, and it makes for a great Lambsfoot pic :cool: :thumbsup:

Sorry folks, my Google calendar tripped me up :rolleyes:

Guardians! First post here. Shortly after acquiring my first GEC (93 Ramfoot) and getting hooked, I had the pleasant opportunity to get my hands on this gorgeous Lambfoot. No safe queens here so looking forward to putting her to good use!

sLkfy6N.jpg

Welcome to the Guardians Mr Pink :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack! Your AC is always a good choice, it still remains my favorite of your SFOs.

Thank you, John. I didn't get to do near as much camping this year as I usually do. Aside from planned hunting trips and knife gatherings, I haven't been out as much as I would have liked. My kids are a bit sore with me, understandably so... :oops:. On the bright side, I am investing in fishing gear for both of them as part of their Christmas presents so I'm working on that part of the equation at least :D.

I have the Waynorth in Ebony with me today. Paired with a dram or ten and a pleasant smoke on this cool autumn evening.

r7QN4nE.jpg

Thanks Dylan, it was certainly a lot less trouble than my other SFOs, which gives it a special place in my heart! ;) :D :thumbsup:

Excellent pic my friend :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack, here are some Chickadee action shots :)
BLT41tY.jpg

hbQdqyI.jpg

Fantastic Dan :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope you're all having a passable week. Not a great day here, but at least it's not raining o_O Thought I'd step out with Miss Lucy today ;) Have a good one folks :thumbsup:

nsgSKXo.jpg

I may be wrong, but I pronounce it with a long I and a silent "s": EYE-la. Maybe our British members will set us straight.
Thanks, Vince. :) I didn't even consider a "silent s"!

Thank you, Gary. I think I still owe you a pic of this one with a two tone car from the 50's. :oops:
I too played a lot of Donkey Kong in my day. That set up sounds interesting. Do you still have it?
The TV and the Color Computer (and the stacks of magazines dedicated to that model) are long gone, and I'd be surprised if the Donkey Kong cassette (or any of the Color Computer software I had) was still here.

Thanks GT. I'm looking forward to introducing "the new kid on the flock :D" to you and all the Guardians, hopefully this week.
Sounds good, James. :) I suppose that a "kid" is technically a goat, not a sheep, but I couldn't pass up the word play. :D

Thanks Gary, I reckon so :thumbsup: I put some LiquidSkin over the thumb wound yesterday, just to stop it opening up again. The fingernail is still a bit sore o_O :thumbsup:

I think you would Gary, hard to believe it's directed by David Lynch :rolleyes: Thank you :) :thumbsup:
LiquidSkin also sounds like a useful product to keep around. I've already been developing the annual deep cracks in the skin on the tips of some fingers because of cold dry weather, and have been using super glue to seal them, but LiquidSkin is probably a better choice.

I finally remembered that I enjoyed Richard Farnsworth in the role of a baseball coach in The Natural starring Redford.

5K Qs 5K Qs

GT, from the Fluid Film FAQ:
FLUID FILM will prevent snow from sticking to snow blowers, snow shovels, snow mobiles, etc. and will also keep locks from freezing. It works in sub-zero weather conditions. Application may be required before each use.

I haven’t used it on a shovel. I’d keep it warm inside the house before spraying it. Shake it up good.

Nice pic of your Rosewood HHB! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info and compliment. :) When you recommend "keep it warm inside the house before spraying it", are you referring to the Fluid Film, the shovel, or both??

5K Qs 5K Qs - That very nice shadowy lighting is a good look for your Hartshead Barlow, GT.

Good Afternoon/Evening Guardians.
F185941D-663D-4416-93F3-78CFF1678DF5_zps3iqbqbmq.jpeg
Great light and shadow composition, GT. :D:thumbsup:
Thanks for the good word about my HHB pic, Harvey & John; the lighting was an accident, but I'll gladly take credit for it.:)

Splendid photo of your old lambsfoot, Harvey! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (Is the background showing your tax dollars at work? ;))

Is Donkey Kong like Mario Bros.?
I know almost nothing about home video games (I usually played Donkey Kong using quarters in video arcades or bars), but I'd guess there's a relationship, that @Leslie Tomville confirms below. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1234558

@Prester John , Donkey Kong was one of the all time great video games of the 80’s. I was our University Champion I don’t mind saying. It was a wonderful game, and Mario made his first appearance there as the Kong’s protagonist.

@flatblackcapo , 5K Qs 5K Qs , it might be nice to have a home version, but nothing could beat playing Donkey Kong in an arcade one quarter at a time. Those were the last days of the Pin Ball Wizard! I remember having a great run going one evening right at the Arcade’s closing time. They let me stay for an extra hour before finally pulling the plug on the machine so they could get me out and close the shop!
Thanks for the Donkey Kong stories, Leslie, and congrats on your skill! :):thumbsup::thumbsup: I dropped a lot of quarters into DK in arcades, but never got very good at it; IIRC, it was rare for me to even reach the third level. Long before the appearance of DK, I lived near a pinball place called "Funky Fingers", and had an unexpected hot streak one day on a pinball machine called Superstar. For some reason, I was able to shake the machine mercilessly without tilting it and earned a score high enough to win a Funky Fingers t-shirt that I proudly wore so much that it eventually turned to rags.

Morning Guardians, hope everyone had a great weekend :) It's fairly sunny here, for a change :rolleyes: Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start :) Carrying this Alfred Blackwell today :thumbsup:

cYrjNXu.jpg
Always a treat to see that knife, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: How do you like that puck-shaped stone? Are there situations in which you find it especially effective?

Good Morning Guardians
I figured I'd better post proof that I went to the ballet... I only fell asleep a few times. :D
You're a good, and cultured, dad, John; that distinguished ebony WCLF is a perfectly classy knife to take to the ballet! ;):cool::cool: I think I could enjoy attending a ballet, since I watched many young kids doing it when my daughter took lessons when she was very young. Opera, however, is an "art" for which I've never developed any appreciation.

Tensions are raising in Chickadee land !

CkJUfuR.jpg

Dan, when I see your bird photos, I've often thought that you should have a falconers' glove for protection. Now that I see a couple of chagrined chickadees perched on your bare hand, I definitely think you'd be wise to invest in a leather gauntlet! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

I shaved off my 'tache a few weeks ago. It was starting to seem like more trouble than it was worth, considering I had a painful whisker and I was never going to look much like Errol Flynn.
Strangely, nobody noticed, though to me my nose seemed as big as a doorknob, there was a vast distance between my nose and upper lip, and my mouth had shrunk sideways.
I was in a hurry, so I shaved with two lambsfoots at once.
GV9SorH.jpg

Actually, my favorite provider at my favorite bar noticed.
She said, "Hey, your nose is as big as a doorknob!"
Two-fisted shaving with a pair of lambsfoots sounds quite swashbuckling to me, Jer! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians. I’m a beginner at knife sharpening and just got this one. I like it. I feel liberated.

WS Guided
View attachment 1234666
Congrats on the new sharpener, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I hope you develop better skills than I have so far. I can make my knives sharper when they get dull, but I don't think I've ever experienced "screaming sharp". :(:rolleyes: As far as I know, I've never yet raised a burr on an edge.

Man Jack is my lambsfoot this week (thanks, @R.c.s):
MJ.pile.slip.jpg

- GT

LiquidSkin also sounds like a useful product to keep around. I've already been developing the annual deep cracks in the skin on the tips of some fingers because of cold dry weather, and have been using super glue to seal them, but LiquidSkin is probably a better choice.

Yeah, I reckon Gary. I have to say, I've cut myself more times while I've been posting here than during the rest of my life! :rolleyes: Those cracks sound nasty :(

I know almost nothing about home video games (I usually played Donkey Kong using quarters in video arcades or bars), but I'd guess there's a relationship, that @Leslie Tomville confirms below. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You know more than me mate, I've never even played Space Invaders! :D I did once write the programme for Pong though (didn't take long)! :D I remember playing that a few times as a kid - we all thought we'd be living on the moon soon after! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Always a treat to see that knife, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: How do you like that puck-shaped stone? Are there situations in which you find it especially effective?

Thank you :) I use the Lansky Puck for sharpening my axes, works well :thumbsup:

Man Jack is my lambsfoot this week (thanks, @R.c.s):
View attachment 1235780

Great to see your Man Jack, that was a generous giveaway from @R.c.s :) Hope we'll see him here before too long :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. Those Black Jacks have an...interesting...texture. Must be the beef gelatin. :p

Is there beef gelatin in them? :eek: They're kind of old-fashioned :rolleyes: I don't think I've had them since I was a kid, when they were sold individually at 4 for a penny :rolleyes:

I get those too, though not yet this year. Note to self: grease self. Especially since I have a uke gig coming up. Note to self: practice that uke, self.
9q43ySC.jpg

I can't find my corn-husker's lotion or my working hands rugged and manly hand cream.

I once knew a guy who used to busk in the street with a Double Bass, his fingers would bleed! :eek:

Forgot to insert quote for above. It isn't the gelatinous lozenges that I also get.

Along with his trusty Lambsfoot, George Mallory carried a tin of beef lozenges on his ill-fated Everest expedition. I always thought they sounded rather gross, but I dare say he was glad of them :thumbsup:

Scan+21.JPG

Scan+20.JPG

Is there beef gelatin in them? :eek: They're kind of old-fashioned :rolleyes: I don't think I've had them since I was a kid, when they were sold individually at 4 for a penny :rolleyes:

I once knew a guy who used to busk in the street with a Double Bass, his fingers would bleed! :eek:

Along with his trusty Lambsfoot, George Mallory carried a tin of beef lozenges on his ill-fated Everest expedition. I always thought they sounded rather gross, but I dare say he was glad of them :thumbsup:

Scan+21.JPG

Scan+20.JPG
I'm not saying they're bad, just that they were a lot softer than I expected. ;) The flavor is pretty close to the Black Jack gum. :cool::thumbsup:

I've always enjoyed reading the lists of ingredients on packaged foods.
We'd play a game as inebriated teenagers hanging out in a convenience store. Find the weirdest ingredients. I remember the winners:
Fresca soda contains brominated vegetable oil.
The first two ingredients in a can of potted meat was: "partially defatted beef fatty tissue" and "beef fat."

Before the internet, kids had to make their own fun. :D

Good morning Guardians! Its been 10 days or so since I’ve been able to post on the forum. My apologies to all you Guardians for being such a poor host for Linus. But contrary to popular belief he has not been lost or hidden away in a drawer under a pile of papers. He has actually been a constant companion since his arrival in Tennessee. Things have happened since I received Linus that I had no control of. One of those things was the fact that I to replace my cell phone. Anyone that has done this may know what a hassle it can be. Especially with backups or lack of backups of photos. :rolleyes: With three days of traveling for family, including air. I chose to mail Linus back to my home to keep from taking a chance on him going AWOL from my luggage. And then there’s that virus that came to visit for four days while I was in Washington DC. :( So here is a photo of Linus enjoying some seasonal decorations. I’m in the process of putting together a post showing some of the sites that Linus has visited. I’m going to keep Linus until Sunday. I’ll then send him on the next leg of his trip to visit Greg @WhittlinAway.

49061037971_034f71907c_o_d.jpg

I once knew a guy who used to busk in the street with a Double Bass, his fingers would bleed!
I wonder if it's possible to play Helter Skelter on a uke.
I never heard of beef lozenges, but it sounds like a similar principle to colonial Williamsburg's condensed soup as an iron ration.
Sorry, that's "pocket soup".
qorbpeH.jpg

I'm not saying they're bad, just that they were a lot softer than I expected. ;) The flavor is pretty close to the Black Jack gum. :cool::thumbsup:

I've always enjoyed reading the lists of ingredients on packaged foods.
We'd play a game as inebriated teenagers hanging out in a convenience store. Find the weirdest ingredients. I remember the winners:
Fresca soda contains brominated vegetable oil.
The first two ingredients in a can of potted meat was: "partially defatted beef fatty tissue" and "beef fat."

Before the internet, kids had to make their own fun. :D

Oh really? :( I'll have to buy some and try them, the old ones weren't like that, they were quite hard - it is over 50 years ago though! :D Funnily enough, when I tasted the Black Jack gum, I thought the same :) Ugh! :eek: I used to know someone who regularly ate a combination of a certain frozen pizza topped with a type of instant noodles, he reckoned that the combination contained every single 'E' number! :eek: :D

Yep, those were the days! :D :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! Its been 10 days or so since I’ve been able to post on the forum. My apologies to all you Guardians for being such a poor host for Linus. But contrary to popular belief he has not been lost or hidden away in a drawer under a pile of papers. He has actually been a constant companion since his arrival in Tennessee. Things have happened since I received Linus that I had no control of. One of those things was the fact that I to replace my cell phone. Anyone that has done this may know what a hassle it can be. Especially with backups or lack of backups of photos. :rolleyes: With three days of traveling for family, including air. I chose to mail Linus back to my home to keep from taking a chance on him going AWOL from my luggage. And then there’s that virus that came to visit for four days while I was in Washington DC. :( So here is a photo of Linus enjoying some seasonal decorations. I’m in the process of putting together a post showing some of the sites that Linus has visited. I’m going to keep Linus until Sunday. I’ll then send him on the next leg of his trip to visit Greg @WhittlinAway.

49061037971_034f71907c_o_d.jpg

Good to have you back Ron :) It sounds like you've had a lot on my friend. New cell-phone, that's nasty! :eek: Hope you're fit and well now :thumbsup:

I wonder if it's possible to play Helter Skelter on a uke.

I never heard of beef lozenges, but it sounds like a similar principle to colonial Williamsburg's condensed soup as an iron ration.
Sorry, that's "pocket soup".
qorbpeH.jpg

LOL! :D 'Pocket Soup'? What a great name! :D :cool: I'm about to go and make some leek and potato soup to take to the market tomorrow. Think I'll put it in a flask rather than in my pocket though :D ;) :thumbsup:

Back