Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Great pics, Ron. And Maggie's a lovely lass.

cigarrodog and mitch4ging like this.
  2. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    And i thought i got shafted with the change to decimal currency.:confused: Boy, you really copped it.:eek:

Ramrodmb, Jack Black and mitch4ging like this.
  3. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Thank you very much, Mark!:):thumbsup: Sorry for my slow response .
    That setting looks as if it requires...by law...a fishing pole and ale!! Beautiful shot, Jack!:cool::thumbsup:
    Man Jack is looking quite Manly!:D:thumbsup:
    Sounds a bit like a confession of a knife knut:p:thumbsup:
    Very cool photo, Ron!:cool::thumbsup:
    That's good to hear, John!!:):thumbsup:
    Your TEW is looking great, Charlie! Liking the turquoise as well!:cool::thumbsup:
    Hope all goes well, Ed! Tests...waiting for results...tests...yada-yada:mad: It does wear you out. Best wishes and prayers for you!:thumbsup:
    Dandy of a photo, Dylan!:cool::thumbsup:
    An Awsome AC is a good descriptor, Duncan!!;):thumbsup:
    :eek::eek:
    Is that right after a Full Moon?:D
    Nice photo of your JB HHB!:cool::thumbsup:
    Well, dang Charlie! Seems it never ends! Much smoke and prayers headed your way, my friend! This whole getting old thing....o_O:confused::thumbsdown:
    Your '19 JB is looking great, Mark!:):thumbsup:
    That ebony WCLF .....wonderful!! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:I hate it everytime you post it:mad::p:thumbsup:
    Great shot of your JB HHB, Kevin!:cool::thumbsup:
    Great shot of your HHB on the great Texas Serengeti, Vince!:cool::thumbsup:
    Can't go wrong with pizza and beer, mit der Lamb!!:cool::thumbsup:
    A great looking Pair of Patina Partners, Ron!!:D:thumbsup:
    Looks like a fantastic trip! Can't go wrong with a bigger bucket!!:D
    Did you get to see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier?

Another shot of the Lamb on the Rocks!
    PSX_20191121_125144.jpg

4. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Thanks, Dennis. Nice shot of yours on the rocks (pun intended)!

(I may have a shot on the rocks myself when I get home--maybe a double!)

5. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    Mad if you don't.:);)

6. draggat

draggat Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Good afternoon guardians! I've been spending most of my free time this past week polishing the stag on a lambfoot I picked up last year. I have mixed feelings with the Pere David stag and I must admit, I like this knife a lot better with its new shine. Probably sacrilege, but oh well.... :D

Only have the mark side done so far.... pile side next then a good sharpening.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

JustinR, Wurrwulf, Modoc ED and 20 others like this.
  7. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    You have done a really good job.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

CelloDan and draggat like this.
  8. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Vince, I actually thought about my BladeForums friends from Texas for that very reason! ;):thumbsup:

Thanks Dennis! I didn’t make it to the Tomb on this trip. :)

9. draggat

Jul 26, 2010
    Thank you! It actually didn't take all that long, I just don't have much free time. :)

Jack Black likes this.
  10. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Thank you, fellas! Jack, I've done a bit with no success but to be fair, my gear is in pretty sorry shape. I met up with another forum member when I was in Denver several weeks ago and he took me to do some fly fishing, showing me some techniques and equipment that I think will serve very well in my creek. The gear will be a Christmas present to my kids as well as myself.

I am getting ready to head out to a brew pub that I just discovered, a place that only crafts Braggot style brews. I am pretty excited to check it out.

[​IMG]

11. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    We expect a full:confused: { pun intended } report on the pub.:D

mitch4ging, Pàdruig and Jack Black like this.
  12. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    That looks great to me. Maybe even as good as the smooth white bone Lambsfoot I've been dreaming of.
    What did you use, sandpaper?

13. draggat

Jul 26, 2010
    Thanks! Yes, sandpaper. I didn't want to remove too much so I started with 150 then moved to 220, 400, 1000, 1500 then rubbed it down with flitz which really made it shine.

I wanted to keep the contours of the stag so I rolled the paper into tubes to follow the grooves but if you have a relatively smooth handle you could do away with most of the grooves. Going around the pins was slow because I didn't want to sand them off. They look cleaner in hand than in the photo.

I've never handled polished stag before but it doesn't quite feel like bone. It's more akin to ivory. I actually really like it myself.

14. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    I have a polished deer antler point handle on a Spanish navaja, which I love. Polished stag is a great handle. (Can't post a pic in this thread, though.)

Modoc ED, draggat and Jack Black like this.
  15. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I do like the way you kept the contours of the stag. I'll bet it feels like a worry stone. :cool::thumbsup: I may have to pick up a small pere david one of these days and give it a try.

16. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Awesome!!

draggat likes this.
  17. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Looks like that one has been getting plenty of use Dennis :) :thumbsup:

Nice catch Mr Pink ;) Joseph Rodgers may well be the world's most famous historic cutlery company, so you won't have difficulty finding info on the firm. Here's a good start :thumbsup:

The Brothers look good Ron :D :thumbsup:

Two great posts Ron :) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Here's a pic of my horn Big 'Un with a bucket ;)

[​IMG]

Here's the bucket :D It was used for pouring molten steel :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

18. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Another great post Ron, I'm glad you and Linus made it back to Tennessee OK :) :thumbsup:

It's talked to folks in Europe, who had it the same when their national currency was changed to the Euro - a convenient excuse to double prices overnight o_O

It's a spot called Paul's Pond Dennis, and I'd love to go fishing there :) When I was a kid, water pollution was so bad here, I had to travel 2 counties away to fish, now I see people pulling out fish out of virtually every river, lake, and water-hole I come across :) :thumbsup:

Great pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

Nice work :thumbsup:

That sounds like a nice meet-up Dylan :) Hope the new gear makes a difference, it sure would be nice to be able to wet a line from your 'back yard' :) Hope you had a great time at the brewery too, that's a quality pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, it's Friday! :) I didn't get to drink much of my beer last night, I was so tired that I fell asleep early, and slept like a log :rolleyes: Cold, windy, and raining hard today, so if it doesn't clear up, I think I'm going to find some stuff to do in the house. Unfortunately, the weather forecast for Saturday is even worse o_O Hope the rest of you are basking in pleasant sunshine, and that you have a great Friday, and an even better weekend ;) :thumbsup:

Carrying my ebony Big 'Un today :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

19. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb

Jun 9, 2010
    Thanks for the tips, Vince.:thumbsup: I will keep an eye out for a vintage safety razor. I do remember trying out my Dad's Aqua-Velva as a boy learning to shave.;)

Thanks for the nice words, Dennis. Smoke and prayers up for you, @waynorth , @Modoc ED and anyone else dealing with any medical issues currently.

@Half/Stop -Ron, great photos of Linus and the cedar bucket as well as the DC area.:thumbsup: I can understand your hesitancy and hope you are feeling better, my friend! Good luck with the new phone, that can be a real pain to deal with.

20. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb

Jun 9, 2010
    Great pic, Jack! That is the one I want to pick up, an Ebony Big-un. Quite a shame things went south with Wrights.:thumbsdown: Hope you have a warmer Friday;) and a great weekend!:thumbsup:

Prester John likes this.