Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Looks like a great afternoon (?) Vince, though I'm sorry you were disappointed with the result :( Hope it was an entertaining match at least :thumbsup:
The game was in the afternoon in the UK, but it aired at 11:30 am here. And I was not disappointed much with the results. And I was being facetious about a "blowout", of course. Soccer games seem to be close, low-scoring games, most of the time.
I followed Arsenal for a couple of years, trying to understand the game more, and have been somewhat loosely following Liverpool. I love hearing the crowd sing "You'll Never Walk Alone." My game is baseball, much more interesting to me, but the season is over. But I enjoy other sports, and the Premier League has some of the best athletes in the world. And I enjoyed the game.

Thanks for mentioning that Temperance Bar; I'll look that up. Of course, our cities are still full of 'Temperance Bars'. There called Starbucks. :rolleyes:
At least you didn't have Prohibition! We still have (or did in the recent past--haven't checked lately) "dry counties" in Texas, where you can't buy alcoholic beverages.

And a Good Morning to all my fellow Guardians!
ta6tA0n.jpg

(That's Linus, a recent visitor.)

The game was in the afternoon in the UK, but it aired at 11:30 am here. And I was not disappointed much with the results. And I was being facetious about a "blowout", of course. Soccer games seem to be close, low-scoring games, most of the time.
I followed Arsenal for a couple of years, trying to understand the game more, and have been somewhat loosely following Liverpool. I love hearing the crowd sing "You'll Never Walk Alone." My game is baseball, much more interesting to me, but the season is over. But I enjoy other sports, and the Premier League has some of the best athletes in the world. And I enjoyed the game.

At least you didn't have Prohibition! We still have (or did in the recent past--haven't checked lately) "dry counties" in Texas, where you can't buy alcoholic beverages.

ta6tA0n.jpg

Yes indeed, and a higher standard of play often leads to fewer goals :rolleyes: At least you weren't standing in the rain watching it Vince! :eek: :D That's a great pic of Linus my friend :) :thumbsup:

That's pretty common in states across the South Vince. "Jack Daniels Whiskey" is made in a dry county in Tennessee and when you tour their distillery, you can't get a sample of whiskey as you can at almost all other distilleries. "Blue Sunday" was another abomination in the South. You couldn't make any retail purchases on Sunday - all retail stores had to be closed on Sunday. The only exception was drug stores and the only thing they could sell was prescription medicine. No over the counter medicine was included in that, i.e. aspirin, etc..

Another day. WCLF basking in the sun.

ZyCGe4i.jpg

Hope you're getting to do some basking too Ed :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack. Fine looking WNLF.

Thank you Harvey :) :thumbsup:

Leeds, where I've lived for the past 20 years, is Yorkshire's biggest city, and increasingly during that period it's become a real 'Party Town', where every weekend folks come, from all the hick towns roundabouts, and indeed from all over the kingdom, to get hopelessly drunk. Does this cause problems? Yes, it does; a lot. But there's plenty of money to be made, so the burger-meisters only encourage it. From mid afternoon, there'll be so many drunks in the street that the traffic can't move. It really doesn't make for a nice place to be, and so I try to stay out of the city centre at the weekend. The movie I went to yesterday went on a little later than I expected, mainly due to all the pre-film ads, and so by the time we got out of the cinema, Leeds was looking like a scene from Sean Of The Dead! Far worse was undoubtedly due to come, but even by early evening, it was bad. Standing waiting for a bus, I must have counted 200 drunks in 20 minutes, and every single one of them was female (I dare say the male drunks go to another town, or come out later, or something) Mainly women under 30, but plenty in their 40's, 50's, and 60's, just getting warmed up, and it really wasn't a pretty site! :eek: I ducked into a small supermarket to try and buy some bread. That was full of drunks too, and they'd also cleared the booze shelves. I bought two of the last bottles of beer, and I really wished I hadn't bothered o_O

This is just some supermarket muck...

vzvck8P.jpg

This tastes like it looks (where's the 'barf' icon gone)! o_O It's very rare that I find a beer so bad that I have to tip it down the sink, but this stuff isn't beer. Be warned Guardians! I have to say that if I'd checked out the 'brewery's pretentious website first, I'd have been forewarned. I really don't know how they have the cheek to call this filth beer :thumbsdown:

GoZlb0o.jpg

Thankfully, I had some mouthwash in the cupboard ;)

osXiKnD.jpg

Hope everyone is having a good day :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - You’ve convinced me, Jack. I’ll visit during weekdays, only.:eek: Sounds like a nightmare. So does that beer. The good news your larder included the proper antidote.:)

Good Afternoon Guardians. Chris Johnson
View attachment 1238537

Sorry for the rant! :rolleyes: There's a lot I like about this city, but some things I definitely don't :rolleyes:

That 'beer' was so awful, I think it's the worst beer I've ever tasted! :eek:

I was just admiring that old beauty in the Sunday thread Harvey, such great stag :) :thumbsup:

Leeds, where I've lived for the past 20 years, is Yorkshire's biggest city, and increasingly during that period it's become a real 'Party Town', where every weekend folks come, from all the hick towns roundabouts, and indeed from all over the kingdom, to get hopelessly drunk. Does this cause problems? Yes, it does; a lot. But there's plenty of money to be made, so the burger-meisters only encourage it. From mid afternoon, there'll be so many drunks in the street that the traffic can't move. It really doesn't make for a nice place to be, and so I try to stay out of the city centre at the weekend. The movie I went to yesterday went on a little later than I expected, mainly due to all the pre-film ads, and so by the time we got out of the cinema, Leeds was looking like a scene from Sean Of The Dead! Far worse was undoubtedly due to come, but even by early evening, it was bad. Standing waiting for a bus, I must have counted 200 drunks in 20 minutes, and every single one of them was female (I dare say the male drunks go to another town, or come out later, or something) Mainly women under 30, but plenty in their 40's, 50's, and 60's, just getting warmed up, and it really wasn't a pretty site! :eek: I ducked into a small supermarket to try and buy some bread. That was full of drunks too, and they'd also cleared the booze shelves. I bought two of the last bottles of beer, and I really wished I hadn't bothered o_O

vzvck8P.jpg

This tastes like it looks (where's the 'barf' icon gone)! o_O It's very rare that I find a beer so bad that I have to tip it down the sink, but this stuff isn't beer. Be warned Guardians! I have to say that if I'd checked out the 'brewery's pretentious website first, I'd have been forewarned. I really don't know how they have the cheek to call this filth beer :thumbsdown:

GoZlb0o.jpg

osXiKnD.jpg

Sounds like Leeds is the place to drink to excess!!!:eek::mad:
Hope you don't run to anymore pseudo-beer!!
Sounds like afternoon matinees are a better bet!!:)
At least you were carrying a nice knife!!!:D

Sounds like Leeds is the place to drink to excess!!!:eek::mad:
Hope you don't run to anymore pseudo-beer!!
Sounds like afternoon matinees are a better bet!!:)
At least you were carrying a nice knife!!!:D

Yeah, it used to be York where all the stag and hen parties went, now it's Leeds. Half the people who visit for the weekend, or just for the night, are drunk before they get here o_O As Harry Callahan said, "A man's gotta know his limitations"! A woman too! :rolleyes:

Thanks pal, it really was disgusting! o_O

The film was on at a really stupid time, 3.15pm :confused: Thanks again Charlie :) :thumbsup:

Tools of the day

mtIJBur.jpg

Cool pic :cool: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hello Guardians!

It's been a long time since I've checked in here. The last couple of months have gone by incredibly quickly and I've only recently felt that I had enough spare time to allow myself to start checking in here again and risk getting back sucked in to this and other fine Porch threads. :)

I started a new job at the end of September and there has been a lot of learning to do. That, combined with my desire to make a good initial impression and the typical ongoing family and community commitments have pretty much spoken for all of my time lately. Fortunately, I feel like I've got my legs solidly underneath me at work now, and, with the Thanksgiving Holiday coming up, I have the opportunity for some rest and relaxation and a bit of recalibration of my time.

Linus' impending visit is coming at the perfect time! I was excited when I heard from Ron that it would soon be my time to play host. It's a great way to draw me back in to spending quality time with you folks. :)

I don't know yet where I'll land as far as a workable life balance that includes the Porch, but I do hope that I'll be more a presence here soon, even if it may not be every day.

Today my younger dog, Tucker, and I took advantage of a beautiful autumn day to go for a hike:

43pehpGl.jpg

We're due for rain and cooler daytime temperatures, which I'm looking forward to. It's past time for some seasonal change and to experience what passes as winter weather in the Bay Area.

And, to be sure that I'm including Lambsfoot Content, here is a picture of Tucker and my non-canine trusty daily companion taken a bit later on in the hike:

MArtT57h.jpg

Thanks for your patience in my absence and understanding of my inability to catch up on all that has happened here over the past couple of months. I hope to be able to keep up with the majority of what's flowing through the Guardians Fire Hose going forward, but we'll see. It is so gratifying to see, though, what a vibrant community this has become.

Cheers!

vzvck8P.jpg

GoZlb0o.jpg

osXiKnD.jpg

Mate,mate,mate, you are so correct, a very drunk woman is not a pretty site, especially older woman who you think would know better.:(

Hello Guardians!

It's been a long time since I've checked in here. The last couple of months have gone by incredibly quickly and I've only recently felt that I had enough spare time to allow myself to start checking in here again and risk getting back sucked in to this and other fine Porch threads. :)

I started a new job at the end of September and there has been a lot of learning to do. That, combined with my desire to make a good initial impression and the typical ongoing family and community commitments have pretty much spoken for all of my time lately. Fortunately, I feel like I've got my legs solidly underneath me at work now, and, with the Thanksgiving Holiday coming up, I have the opportunity for some rest and relaxation and a bit of recalibration of my time.

Linus' impending visit is coming at the perfect time! I was excited when I heard from Ron that it would soon be my time to play host. It's a great way to draw me back in to spending quality time with you folks. :)

I don't know yet where I'll land as far as a workable life balance that includes the Porch, but I do hope that I'll be more a presence here soon, even if it may not be every day.

Today my younger dog, Tucker, and I took advantage of a beautiful autumn day to go for a hike:

43pehpGl.jpg

We're due for rain and cooler daytime temperatures, which I'm looking forward to. It's past time for some seasonal change and to experience what passes as winter weather in the Bay Area.

And, to be sure that I'm including Lambsfoot Content, here is a picture of Tucker and my non-canine trusty daily companion taken a bit later on in the hike:

MArtT57h.jpg

Thanks for your patience in my absence and understanding of my inability to catch up on all that has happened here over the past couple of months. I hope to be able to keep up with the majority of what's flowing through the Guardians Fire Hose going forward, but we'll see. It is so gratifying to see, though, what a vibrant community this has become.

Cheers!

Fantastic to see you (and Tucker) here Greg, and I am really looking forward to seeing more of your posts with Linus. Glad to hear you're keeping well my friend :) :thumbsup:

Mate,mate,mate, you are so correct, a very drunk woman is not a pretty site, especially older woman who you think would know better.:(

The scale of it is unbelievable, I dread to think what it is like by midnight :eek: There are still folks trying to get home with their kids in the early evening, and it really is not pleasant to see. You can barely drive for all the drunks stumbling across the road, falling over, or fighting :thumbsdown:

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack. Have a great week, friend.

Thank you Harvey, you too my friend :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, I woke up to another wet and miserable day here in Yorkshire, and it looks like that's the way it's going to be this week (again), so I hope it's a lot nicer where you are, and that you all have a good week :) Thought I'd go with my Hartshead Barlow today :) :thumbsup:

Jj1AguQ.jpg

Another day. WCLF basking in the sun.

ZyCGe4i.jpg

Great sunny shot! We've not seen that in awhile.:(

Sorry for your/ours digital woes. So critical in your health care providing environment,

Even more so when you have enemy missiles homing in on your airfields and aircraft carriers I guess.:rolleyes:

ta6tA0n.jpg

Oh there working on prohibition over here.:rolleyes:
One of my brothers lived in Logan in Utah for several years. If he wanted to stock up on beer and spirits for say Christmas he'd drive out of state to do so.

Hello Guardians!
Good to see you back Greg, sounds like you've been busy. Great shot of your hound there. :thumbsup:

vzvck8P.jpg

GoZlb0o.jpg

osXiKnD.jpg

Sorry to hear about your beer woes Jack. Sounds like a bottle of Tetley's would of done you better. :)

No lambsfoot for me today as I'm about to step out the door for work.
Hope Monday treats everyone as well as Monday can treat anyone. :thumbsup:

Even more so when you have enemy missiles homing in on your airfields and aircraft carriers I guess.:rolleyes:

"Re-boot! Re-boot!" :eek:

Sorry to hear about your beer woes Jack. Sounds like a bottle of Tetley's would of done you better. :)

No lambsfoot for me today as I'm about to step out the door for work.
Hope Monday treats everyone as well as Monday can treat anyone. :thumbsup:

Thanks David, that would have been a big improvement my friend :) Hope you have a decent week :thumbsup:

Back