Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack. It’s a shame they don’t bring back the monocle.:) Though it looks like fun with wonderful things to see, hear, and taste, I avoid crowds of any kind.:eek: You’ve done a fine job of restocking your beer larder. Always a pleasure to see your lovingly carried Hartshead.:thumbsup::cool:

@5K Qs - A quite handsome Valley Jack, GT.

Good Morning Guardians.
584F3FF7-15D2-44E4-9FAE-CE48376E1DE4.jpeg

For me today is a day of reflection and a day of reflection for the "Lil un's" blade reflecting the rock it sits on.

cXlRl29.jpg

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack. It’s a shame they don’t bring back the monocle.:) Though it looks like fun with wonderful things to see, hear, and taste, I avoid crowds of any kind.:eek: You’ve done a fine job of restocking your beer larder. Always a pleasure to see your lovingly carried Hartshead.:thumbsup::cool:

@5K Qs - A quite handsome Valley Jack, GT.

Good Morning Guardians.
View attachment 1245220

Maybe it'll come back one day Harvey, with the price of specs, it might be a little cheaper! :D I don't blame you my friend, it might sound curmudgeonly, but if I'd known there was a Christmas Market on, I'd have stayed at home! :rolleyes: Thank you for the compliment, the beer was lovingly carried too ;) That pic is hilarious Harvey, well done :D :thumbsup:

For me today is a day of reflection and a day of reflection for the "Lil un's" blade reflecting the rock it sits on.

cXlRl29.jpg

Well said Ed ;) :thumbsup:

After stopping off to do some shopping in the nearby town of Harrogate, I went on to Knaresborough. It turned out that there was a Christmas market on, so the place was packed. The first photo below is taken right on the edge of the market square, and really doesn't show how crowded it was.

pb1URD3.jpg

Jack Black Jack Black - You're slipping Jack. You brought the beer home but evidently failed to Chat-up the two Blondes, especially the Blonde with the brown purse. A missed opportunity in my book Jack.:rolleyes:

You curmudgeons!
I went to the local artists' sale at the nature center, but turned around on the grass when I saw they were parked half way out to the road from the parking lots. I could have parked on the grass and walked in, but it would have been way too crowded in there.
XD2WHJs.jpg

Wait for hours? They should have heated trucks!
It's a Roy Smeck Harmony ukulele from Chicago in the 1950s. Solid mahogany throughout, except for the plastic fingerboard, which I don't think should affect the sound. $30 because it needs some gluing.

It's been maybe as much as three hours. Not several yet.
It's probably fine. Better wait.

Last edited:
Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack. 23 and me confirmed that I am curmudgeonly.:) But seriously... it’s more because of geopolitical reality.:eek:

:eek: :D :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - You're slipping Jack. You brought the beer home but evidently failed to Chat-up the two Blondes, especially the Blonde with the brown purse. A missed opportunity in my book Jack.:rolleyes:

I've been slipping a few years now Ed! :eek: :D In my defence, I was distracted by Santa's 'Elf'! ;) :D :thumbsup:

fHk4uPC.jpg

You curmudgeons!
I went to the local artists' sale at the nature center, but turned around on the grass when I saw they were parked half way out to the road from the parking lots. I could have parked on the grass and walked in, but it would have been way too crowded in there.
XD2WHJs.jpg

Wait for hours? They should have heated trucks!
It's a Roy Smeck Harmony ukulele from Chicago in the 1950s. Solid mahogany throughout, except for the plastic fingerboard, which I don't think should affect the sound. $30 because it needs some gluing.

It's been maybe as much as three hours. Not several yet.
It's probably fine. Better wait.

Exciting stuff Jer :) :thumbsup:

Good 'elf Guardians :thumbsup:

3ZgmQ8W.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Harvey, I'm afraid there is no great story behind the portrait, it was just a random, and quite hurried, Google pick :rolleyes: The painting is called 'The Explorer' and is by Theodore Case, "A humorous portrait in the classical manner of a mutton-chop wearing, incredulous fellow with a monocle and pith-helmet." Great photo of your Joseph Rodgers Lambsfoot my friend :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone has a great weekend. I'm on my own today, so after having a shave, I'm off to visit some local antique shops, and pick up a few nice beers :) :thumbsup:

Ltfq3Hq.jpg
Happy hunting, Jack!

Great pictures as always from everyone!!!
Here is something a bit different sitting on a postcard from my (our) friend, Jack.
It is a "Sheldon" type one hand folder which is stamped "Albert Oates Sheffield England" along with their "Current" trademark stamp.
"Wrights" made these same models in the 1960s / 1970s era, but I'm not sure if someone owned the "Oates" name at that time since it appears the company was gone around 1959.
Maybe Wrights acquired the tooling from Oates and continued to produce these knives with their own name after Oates did??? Jack might known for certain and he has talked about these models before.

View attachment 1245389

Great pictures as always from everyone!!!
Here is something a bit different sitting on a postcard from my (our) friend, Jack.
It is a "Sheldon" type one hand folder which is stamped "Albert Oates Sheffield England" along with their "Current" trademark stamp.
"Wrights" made these same models in the 1960s / 1970s era, but I'm not sure if someone owned the "Oates" name at that time since it appears the company was gone around 1959.
Maybe Wrights acquired the tooling from Oates and continued to produce these knives with their own name after Oates did??? Jack might known for certain and he has talked about these models before.

View attachment 1245389

Great to see you here pal, hope you're having a great weekend :) Nice to see one of those Lambsfoot Sheldon Knives. As I understand it, Albert Sheldon, who designed the pattern, and previously worked for, or was associated with, Albert Oates and Wade & Butcher, acquired Wright's, and so the pattern was made there subsequently. Here's a link to the patent. It was a very popular pattern once, but seems to have gone out of fashion in the early 1980's. There's more info in this thread here :thumbsup:

Great to see you here pal, hope you're having a great weekend :) Nice to see one of those Lambsfoot Sheldon Knives. As I understand it, Albert Sheldon, who designed the pattern, and previously worked for, or was associated with, Albert Oates and Wade & Butcher, acquired Wright's, and so the pattern was made there subsequently. Here's a link to the patent. It was a very popular pattern once, but seems to have gone out of fashion in the early 1980's. There's more info in this thread here :thumbsup:

Thanks for this information, Jack. Interesting that the patent dates to 1964 when the Oates company seems to have expired around 1959 (according to Tweedale)
But I guess that is not so uncommon as we have seen other knives in production before patents were applied to them.

Thanks for this information, Jack. Interesting that the patent dates to 1964 when the Oates company seems to have expired around 1959 (according to Tweedale)
But I guess that is not so uncommon as we have seen other knives in production before patents were applied to them.

I see Geoff says that the Albert Oates name was last listed in directories in 1959, but as you know, many of the older Sheffield names were subsequently passed on, and when they are not actually being used, it can be very difficult to find out who actually owns them. As with many aspects of Sheffield cutlery history, we have to rely on word of mouth, and unfortunately there are fewer and fewer people to ask. Many of the Sheffield firms survived for years as much diminished companies, with little or few assets, and names that may not have been worth selling. The retirement or passing away of a single cutler or individual often saw them quietly fade into history. It could be that the Oates mark was acquired by Mr Sheldon, or by Jack Howarth, who as well as making knives under his family name, was first a director, and then owner of Wright's. It's unfortunate that Geoff passed over the Howarth's, probably for reasons of time I imagine, but he subsequently published a history, which I have as a PDF. There's no mention of Jack Howarth though, or that the company still survives, in name at least, having been bought by John Maleham when he acquired Wright's. I have some papers relating to Wright's, and they possibly had other Sheffield firms under their wing, so to speak, at one time. I still need to thoroughly go through them. Unfortunately, perhaps because they only date to 1947, the history of Wright's has not really been written up. How much they survive themselves remains to be seen.

This knife is super special, it keeps calling me back.
I think it's going to be a pocket hog for a while. Hope you all don't get bored of seeing it...

Great-looking ebony John, I'm sure nobody will get tired of seeing it :cool: :thumbsup:

Oink, Oink!! Mine's a pocket hog too!!:D Love the feel and usefulness of that Ebony knife!!
View attachment 1245472

Great to see your ebony beauty Charlie :) :thumbsup:

Happy Saturday, Guardians.

Nice pics of the Christmas market "attractions", Jack.
Some wonderful Ebony in here lately!

TQp7is0L1yCOngISS6KjNF60x4MMW2J7aQoDNhMgSppJDRJ7b2_KZz5CAgRlihZlHtCTWB-PRuVicvWJqJTSzbBj4B6TGdyWP9SbTWedYNYWkXw9qxpHT7GTC6ZIiuipZyw80T7tR9zFoi4RVrJlbDthLteorR7lF91vlWh9hSgMxTgdm0Y4VPvPNJF8vVImAcG6cR4Z7TPMca6UkzhaHbH4ob3A1G63GNinpx5nC2TU8cgDtInElF4PbS7lmvQwY5hOUauTC1pRTthRYM7YfUF3i22u6j8NBCClXsOLlOOE6oK_6gaZKinn_wO13mhYUusSbCEJjoftCyh6Zqfgg76sEKL_Cnko9Ituy99MgVsYrvyJSwjci4LBjdvUtJMzkCxXz6ODQZPmjOchme-QIcupkvrmJpceCf_7SZkyVJipntPn9PTFCy8iYC8ol82ceng0cJI-zorFyMnO8xOsuYdLoJaSuNYZlG1S2oxLQerg4QR1U4MuLGZaIsvVXqzEC3QJZKO66X9Igq32mEz00RUgd4iKMP1-qMX80ZoobMZNONPQPJaMyLYMK1xZPmfJeqzkigrTMZwHjAyp8oJql_pFT7ESUy3EV7aiDwOuJ7x7ayhAwmyIBYb17Ko8AHqral_ZVgy1nBdFc-xKlfY4ITpYxTiUOWTOO9EATcdOmPskTjKXldCcfVU=w1208-h1610-no

Thanks my friend, I'm afraid I'm not seeing your photo :( :thumbsup:

Oink, Oink!! Mine's a pocket hog too!!:D Love the feel and usefulness of that Ebony knife!!
View attachment 1245472

We're on an Ebony roll!:thumbsup::cool:

btEJ6F9.jpg

Looking lush and lovely Mark, and it's nice to see your spectacular stick again :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is enjoying a splendid weekend, and that you have a very enjoyable Sunday. I have a day of pre-Christmas housework, and tidying-up ahead of me, probably with a bit of knife cleaning and oiling thrown in :rolleyes:

I'm enjoying the Necco wafers H herder sent me, the old-fashioned flavours bring back memories of my childhood. Incredible to think they were being made in 1847 :cool:

QVkJmDe.jpg

Back