Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good Morning, Jack!!! Nice to see your HartsHead Stag collecting a nice patina!!
Those Neccos sure bring back fond memories!! I was out late, and I'm just off to sleep!!:D
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words, Jack!! Goodnight!!

Thank you Charlie, I hope you sleep like a tot dreaming of Necco candy wafers :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1245633 Decided to roast some chestnuts and what better way to open the skin for roasting than with my rosewood lamb

Great pic Al, a Lambsfoot is the ideal tool for the job :) Enjoy your chestnuts my friend :thumbsup:

I'm just having my mid-morning coffee, while trying to restore order to the chaos of Grumble Towers :eek: Boy, do I have some kipple! :rolleyes:

0gcVcRG.jpg

Morning Guardians !
G4UM1wx.jpg

Great colour contrast there. :thumbsup:

Good morning/afternoon!

Citrus Season. :thumbsup: The cutting board hardwood end-grain Amish-made.

IMG-1629.jpg

I've got to say. I covet your chopping board. :D

Another day. My Rosewood "Big-un" enjoying the scenery behind our house.

EsnjJSz.jpg

What a great view. Your rosewood deserves it's own little porch on there. :thumbsup:

Thanks Rachel, one of many thoughtful gifts I received recently from Reaper AL Reaper AL :) :thumbsup:

Great pic John :D :thumbsup:

After stopping off to do some shopping in the nearby town of Harrogate, I went on to Knaresborough. It turned out that there was a Christmas market on, so the place was packed. The first photo below is taken right on the edge of the market square, and really doesn't show how crowded it was.

pb1URD3.jpg

At the opposite side of the square, a traditional brass band contributed to the festive atmosphere.

v9dYDlX.jpg

In the centre, where the stalls were it was absolutely packed, (and with people and their kids wandering around somewhat aimlessly), as were the pubs and cafes. So I grabbed me some good ales, and high-tailed it back to Leeds. Having not eaten any lunch, this sandwich, shown with my beer haul, was rather hastily put together, and scoffed even quicker! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

V0TOEUE.jpg

Great pics Jack. I didn't know Knaresborough had a Christmas Market, but it appears everywhere does these days.
I visited Lincoln Christmas Market on Thursday. I can't stand crowds these days either but it wasn't bad with it being middle of the week.
7yjTcXX.jpg

X3W0u1H.jpg

SamtrGs.jpg

I took my horn lambsfoot with me just in case I ran into knife arches, but I didn't come across silliness like that.
juVGmjs.jpg

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.:thumbsup:

Great pics Jack. I didn't know Knaresborough had a Christmas Market, but it appears everywhere does these days.
I visited Lincoln Christmas Market on Thursday. I can't stand crowds these days either but it wasn't bad with it being middle of the week.
7yjTcXX.jpg

X3W0u1H.jpg

SamtrGs.jpg

I took my horn lambsfoot with me just in case I ran into knife arches, but I didn't come across silliness like that.
juVGmjs.jpg

Thanks David, yes, they do don't they, and often with a good few weeks until Christmas :rolleyes: Great to see your pics of Lincoln, I travelled down to see my sister, who lives there, one Christmas, and all I saw was the Indian restaurant opposite the train station o_O I might go down and see my niece sometime next year, hopefully see a little more :rolleyes: Hope you're having a good weekend yourself my friend, we must meet up for a pint again before too long :thumbsup:

We were talking about sharpening equipment a few weeks back, and I received a bumper package from Reaper AL Reaper AL in the week, which along with a lot of other stuff, included a couple of large paddle strops, and this Guided Field Sharpener from Work Sharp. I used it straight away, and was impressed, it seems like a pretty good sharpening system to keep in a pack, or in the glove-box. It has coarse and fine diamond-coated plates, which attach onto the sides magnetically, which means they can be replaced (and small items, such as a piece of stropping compound) can be placed underneath. There's a (removable) ceramic rod, which rotates to give 3 options, and even a small leather strop :cool: :thumbsup:

Y3D00dy.jpg

Love your picture
Superb pic Dan :) :thumbsup:
Gracias amigos :)

And, from the Ghost of Christmas Past, here's my Union Jack with holiday decorations (apologies to Dan and his REAL chickadee photos :D):
uj-4chickadees-jpg.1245176

- GT
:D:D:D WOW GT
It's going to take me while to get a few chickadees to hold a lambsfoot on their heads :D

My daughter and I are all set up with new equipment for xc skiing this winter. I am able once again to spell the unspeakable word .... SNOW :D .... let it come now
4zru3jf.jpg

Your Harsthead is developing a lot of character. Looking good. :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks a lot John :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians

Cool pic :cool: :thumbsup:

It's going to take me while to get a few chickadees to hold a lambsfoot on their heads :D

My daughter and I are all set up with new equipment for xc skiing this winter. I am able once again to spell the unspeakable word .... SNOW :D .... let it come now
4zru3jf.jpg

I'm sure you have them in training Dan! ;) I have always thought XC skiing looked like a lot of fun (even better with shooting thrown in! :D), but the equipment would be a poor investment in this country I think :rolleyes: As an outdoor journalist, I used to attend a ski show every year (to cover the clothing and other equipment a lot of UK outdoor companies launched there), but I have never been on skis or ice-skates in my life. Reckon I'm too old to learn now :(

Thanks David, yes, they do don't they, and often with a good few weeks until Christmas :rolleyes: Great to see your pics of Lincoln, I travelled down to see my sister, who lives there, one Christmas, and all I saw was the Indian restaurant opposite the train station o_O I might go down and see my niece sometime next year, hopefully see a little more :rolleyes: Hope you're having a good weekend yourself my friend, we must meet up for a pint again before too long :thumbsup:

We were talking about sharpening equipment a few weeks back, and I received a bumper package from Reaper AL Reaper AL in the week, which along with a lot of other stuff, included a couple of large paddle strops, and this Guided Field Sharpener from Work Sharp. I used it straight away, and was impressed, it seems like a pretty good sharpening system to keep in a pack, or in the glove-box. It has coarse and fine diamond-coated plates, which attach onto the sides magnetically, which means they can be replaced (and small items, such as a piece of stropping compound) can be placed underneath. There's a (removable) ceramic rod, which rotates to give 3 options, and even a small leather strop :cool: :thumbsup:

Y3D00dy.jpg

Oh you should see more of Lincoln. I recommend the Castle, which houses Lincoln Prison and of course the Magna Carta exhibition. About a 10 minute walk out of the city centre is the Museum of Lincolnshire Life which I liked. And of course Lincoln Cathedral, one of our finest in my humble opinion. Unfortunately it appears to be quite the building site at the moment with extensive renovation works being carried out to both the west and east ends, but if you do go the £4 roof tour is a must. :thumbsup:
Older pictures.
8q7BqI8.jpg

NeG5Kaz.jpg

Now that Work Sharp seems to be a handy piece of kit. It's always interesting to see other field sharpening systems.

Aye Jack, we should meet up for a pint again but it would be February at the earliest now so we'll sort something out in the new year. :):thumbsup:

@herder - Nice and clean Sheldon and fine image. Big fan of friction folders. I had previously read the the Sheldon thread Jack referred to, which in turn, motivated me to find an example(Lamb Foot). I found it a great carry, partially because of its’ Bexoid hafting.

Jack Black Jack Black - Cheesy toast, Henderson’s, and your beloved Hartshead. A great Kodak Moment.

Your generously gifted from Reaper AL Reaper AL - WSGFS is the very one I finally decided on, recently. It has given me the confidence, previously lacking. I will be very interested in your thoughts as you put it to use.

donn donn - I always enjoy your photo essay like posts, David.

Good Afternoon Guardians.

Without a doubt, I love my Ebony Big un. Perfect size.
98557258-0313-4A57-9471-F71151B129E0.jpeg

:D :thumbsup:

Aarrrrrghhhh! :cool: :thumbsup:

You too Mark, looks like you and your Lambsfoot have been hard at work :thumbsup:

Indubitably my friend, very uncivilized! :eek: Knives separate us from the beasts! ;) :D :thumbsup:

293600-JYGWZOZE-7.jpg

Superb pic Dan :) :thumbsup:

That's a real nice board, and a great pic :) :thumbsup:

Yay! :) Nice to see the creek Vince :) :thumbsup:

Must be nice to sit on your porch Ed :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone has had a good week, with a great weekend ahead :) :thumbsup:

I see Geoff says that the Albert Oates name was last listed in directories in 1959, but as you know, many of the older Sheffield names were subsequently passed on, and when they are not actually being used, it can be very difficult to find out who actually owns them. As with many aspects of Sheffield cutlery history, we have to rely on word of mouth, and unfortunately there are fewer and fewer people to ask. Many of the Sheffield firms survived for years as much diminished companies, with little or few assets, and names that may not have been worth selling. The retirement or passing away of a single cutler or individual often saw them quietly fade into history. It could be that the Oates mark was acquired by Mr Sheldon, or by Jack Howarth, who as well as making knives under his family name, was first a director, and then owner of Wright's. It's unfortunate that Geoff passed over the Howarth's, probably for reasons of time I imagine, but he subsequently published a history, which I have as a PDF. There's no mention of Jack Howarth though, or that the company still survives, in name at least, having been bought by John Maleham when he acquired Wright's. I have some papers relating to Wright's, and they possibly had other Sheffield firms under their wing, so to speak, at one time. I still need to thoroughly go through them. Unfortunately, perhaps because they only date to 1947, the history of Wright's has not really been written up. How much they survive themselves remains to be seen.

Great-looking ebony John, I'm sure nobody will get tired of seeing it :cool: :thumbsup:

Great to see your ebony beauty Charlie :) :thumbsup:

Thanks my friend, I'm afraid I'm not seeing your photo :( :thumbsup:

Looking lush and lovely Mark, and it's nice to see your spectacular stick again :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is enjoying a splendid weekend, and that you have a very enjoyable Sunday. I have a day of pre-Christmas housework, and tidying-up ahead of me, probably with a bit of knife cleaning and oiling thrown in :rolleyes:

I'm enjoying the Necco wafers @herder sent me, the old-fashioned flavours bring back memories of my childhood. Incredible to think they were being made in 1847 :cool:

QVkJmDe.jpg
Thanks for the nice words, Jack. Hope you had a great weekend and week to come, as well. :thumbsup:That's incredible to think the Necco wafers have been made for 170 yrs.:eek:

Your stag HHB is looking very utilitarian, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I was surprised to discover that I'm one of the absent Guardians; I haven't posted here in more than 2 weeks :eek:, even though I've been reading the thread daily to keep up with the posts. Just reading without commenting is not very interactive, though, and not nearly as satisfying for me. :(

This week my lambsfoot has been my Valley Jack:
View attachment 1245162

And, from the Ghost of Christmas Past, here's my Union Jack with holiday decorations (apologies to Dan and his REAL chickadee photos :D):
View attachment 1245176

- GT
Stunning photo of your beautiful Ironwood SFO, GT. Glad to see you back.:thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - I don't know if it's been mentioned before; Did you source the Ironwood for your wonderful 2019 Guardians SFO, or Wrights? They are just such beautiful wood. Thanks again for your efforts in having them made for us all to enjoy.:thumbsup:

I've got to say. I covet your chopping board. :D

What a great view. Your rosewood deserves it's own little porch on there. :thumbsup:

7yjTcXX.jpg

X3W0u1H.jpg

SamtrGs.jpg

juVGmjs.jpg

Oh you should see more of Lincoln. I recommend the Castle, which houses Lincoln Prison and of course the Magna Carta exhibition. About a 10 minute walk out of the city centre is the Museum of Lincolnshire Life which I liked. And of course Lincoln Cathedral, one of our finest in my humble opinion. Unfortunately it appears to be quite the building site at the moment with extensive renovation works being carried out to both the west and east ends, but if you do go the £4 roof tour is a must. :thumbsup:
Older pictures.
8q7BqI8.jpg

NeG5Kaz.jpg

Now that Work Sharp seems to be a handy piece of kit. It's always interesting to see other field sharpening systems.

Aye Jack, we should meet up for a pint again but it would be February at the earliest now so we'll sort something out in the new year. :):thumbsup:
Enjoyed your posts very much, David, as always.:thumbsup::cool: Buy Jack a pint for me, will ya?;)

Light as a feather, with a tiny soundbox and a big sound. I can't see where it needs gluing; maybe they fixed it themselves and forgot to change the description. It came with the nice padded gig bag, too.
x3CahgX.jpg
Cool pic and nice Uke, Jer. Looks like a heck of a bargain!

It's cold and raining here today so I thought the warmth of deep, rich, Ebony might warm me up.

dSOawQR.jpg
Definitely, Ed. :thumbsup: Not sure where your other post went but, beautiful view from your porch too!

@herder - Nice and clean Sheldon and fine image. Big fan of friction folders. I had previously read the the Sheldon thread Jack referred to, which in turn, motivated me to find an example(Lamb Foot). I found it a great carry, partially because of its’ Bexoid hafting.

Jack Black Jack Black - Cheesy toast, Henderson’s, and your beloved Hartshead. A great Kodak Moment.

Your generously gifted from Reaper AL Reaper AL - WSGFS is the very one I finally decided on, recently. It has given me the confidence, previously lacking. I will be very interested in your thoughts as you put it to use.

View attachment 1245775
What a great photo, Harvey! I'm waiting for an Ebony Big-un to arrive and suspect I'll feel the same way.:thumbsup:

Hoping this weekend has been good to everyone. :thumbsup:

hEqGiuD.jpg

Light as a feather, with a tiny soundbox and a big sound. I can't see where it needs gluing; maybe they fixed it themselves and forgot to change the description. It came with the nice padded gig bag, too.
x3CahgX.jpg

Glad you're bonding Jer :) :thumbsup:

It's cold and raining here today so I thought the warmth of deep, rich, Ebony might warm me up.

dSOawQR.jpg

Hope so Ed, we have the same weather here. Had a curry, a couple of pints, and some good company to warm me up :) :thumbsup:

Older pictures.
8q7BqI8.jpg

NeG5Kaz.jpg

I'd expected to see more of Lincoln when I travelled down, but I forgot to take into account what an utterly thoughtless bovine my sister is! :mad: Thanks for the extra pics David, it certainly looks worth visiting :thumbsup:

I'm sure February will soon come round :thumbsup:

Fabulous Kevin :thumbsup:

View attachment 1245775

Thanks buddy :) Beautiful photo :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the nice words, Jack. Hope you had a great weekend and week to come, as well. :thumbsup:That's incredible to think the Necco wafers have been made for 170 yrs.:eek:

Stunning photo of your beautiful Ironwood SFO, GT. Glad to see you back.:thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - I don't know if it's been mentioned before; Did you source the Ironwood for your wonderful 2019 Guardians SFO, or Wrights? They are just such beautiful wood. Thanks again for your efforts in having them made for us all to enjoy.:thumbsup:

Enjoyed your posts very much, David, as always.:thumbsup::cool: Buy Jack a pint for me, will ya?;)

Cool pic and nice Uke, Jer. Looks like a heck of a bargain!

Definitely, Ed. :thumbsup: Not sure where your other post went but, beautiful view from your porch too!

What a great photo, Harvey! I'm waiting for an Ebony Big-un to arrive and suspect I'll feel the same way.:thumbsup:

Hoping this weekend has been good to everyone. :thumbsup:

hEqGiuD.jpg

Thank you Mark, it's been quite a nice one. I got a surprise invitation to join my mate, and his missus and kids, for curry and beer, so that was an unexpected treat :) Hope you've been having a good weekend yourself :thumbsup:

I believe that Necco wafers are no longer made now unfortunately, but they certainly had a good run :)

Wright's sourced the Ironwood in the USA, it was pricey, but fabulous wood I think :) That's a great pic of your 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot my friend :) :thumbsup:

Back