Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Still enjoying Scruton. Carrying my AC lambsfoot. Oh my, the stag on it is beautiful!

View attachment 1273262

Nice pic Joshua :)

Thanks for clearing that up Jack :thumbsup: I've no proof but I reckon my grandad acquired them at one of the various auctions the U.S military held at RAF Burtonwood after WWII. :thumbsup:

Maybe they played an important role working out flight plans during the war David :thumbsup:

The Extraordinary Adventures of Linus the Lambsfoot!

Well my time with Linus has come to an end. Enjoyed carrying him around and using him. He did help with putting out deer blocks one day.
View attachment 1273344

And now off to his next adventure with @Wild Ben
View attachment 1273345

Thanks to @Pàdruig for the opportunity and I look forward to where else he gets to go and do.

Nice to see Linus again Fred, and I'm sure I'm not the only Guardian looking forward to his further adventures with @Wild Ben :thumbsup:

It's just too long in-between Lunch and Dinner... ;)

Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage. :)

Those look like very tasty sausages John :) :thumbsup:

Due to some new arrivals, I feel I've been neglecting my flock a bit. Going to change that tomorrow. I've got the HHB ready to go for the morning.

See ya later, Alligator...
N0gIJih.jpg

...After a while, Crocodile :D

Cool pic Mike :D I can remember my uncle teaching me that as a very young boy :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Much thanks Jack. Such a wonderful place for you to traipse around with your Hartshead and your three assault weapon guarding lady friends.

Thanks Harvey, I don't know if I'd be able to keep up with those three partisanas! The image is taken from Ingrid Strobl's book of that name :thumbsup:

81IZQyaVQkL.jpg

It's a few years since I read the book, but maybe one of them is Lyudmila Pavlichenko, for whom Woody Guthrie wrote this famous song :thumbsup:

She probably carried a Lambsfoot :thumbsup:

Yesterday was, of course, the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz concentration camp, and International Holocaust Memorial Day.

8ipZGd3.jpg

Now that's what I call a RADD surfboard!
Cowabunga!
Intergalactic surf's up!! Very cool, Vince! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (The text reminds me of Spaceman Spiff in the now-defunct Calvin & Hobbes comic strip.)

@cigarrodog
I lost the quote, but I think it was you who asked about the Russian tube? It's a small but handy telescope I usually keep in my truck for when we go camping, watching the wildlife!
Thanks for the additional info about your telescope, Dennis; terrific photo! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Good morning Guardians! :) I’m carrying a beautiful Horn 2017 Guardians SFO today! :thumbsup: :)
High-class horn, José & Ron! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

How’s it, Guardians? Toting my AC again today. Hope you all have a great weekend!

View attachment 1271076
ACs are Always Captivating, Joshua; glad you have one again! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Those buckles are worth their weight in gold for young, single men. There is a phenomenon called the Buckle Bunny.

Supplementing my stag #73 with my Wright's today.
Why do you think I was so happy to win my first buckle while I was still in high school... ;):thumbsup:
I've led such a sheltered life; are there any family-friendly Buckle Bunny documentaries?? :eek::D
Impressive edge on your lambsfoot, Christian! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I see a new theme happening...
Shucks, I'll ignore the entire corny discussion, except for acknowledging the quality of this image! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I couldn't honestly tell you. I've never used tung oil. I think the linseed oil works pretty well. I use that and some beeswax on occasion.
Thanks. :) I've used Sno-Seal, which is basically beeswax, on wood handles, and have been happy with the results.

Well done on the mammoth post Gary :) Thanks for your very kind words on my Hartshead Barlow, I'm looking forward to seeing your blueberry scones :) That Alfred Blackwell has certainly been to the School of Hard Knocks! :D Thanks also for the compliment on my Stan Shaw my friend. I walked past those two shops just yesterday, you'd be hard pushed to actually get inside them because of the amount of stock! :eek: :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :)

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you kindly, GT. In my linited experience, it would seem that many tang stamps on older Sheffield knives are either worn down, or flawed. Yet on some, the tang stamps are perfect.
Moon over 2-blade lambsfoot: splendid photos, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
I don't know how tang stamps are applied to a knife. If they involve striking some kind of die with a hammer, I can imagine quite a range of quality due to uneven strikes, double strikes, etc. but that's all idle speculation by me.

Looks like Cilantro to me. Much better tasting than Parsley. IMO;)
Edit: Just saw Jacks reply. Here in the US, only the seeds are referred to as Coriander. The leaves and stems are called Cilantro.:thumbsup:

Ebony from the Lambsfoot ambassador- Jack Black
Nice ebony, Mark! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
My wife claims that she has seen cilantro called coriander, Chinese parsley, Mexican parsley, and some word from India that she didn't remember.

Navy lambsfoot. The straight edge, the lambsfoot spine, and that little extra downward blade angle that comes from the navy knife pattern. I had a lot of fun, even though it wasn’t a flawless outcome.

View attachment 1271458 View attachment 1271459
Edit: I was surprised by the quality of this cheap Chinese model. It has some significant flaws, sure, but the action, the centering, and the grind were all pretty good. It wasn’t sharp out of the box, but it’s a laser now.
Very cool mod, Joshua! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Is that a Cannon sailor's knife? I have a set of 3 of those that are really surprisingly-nice knives. :)

Also…

35,000 posts
in this thread!! Wow!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited to add some Lambsfoot content to Post #35000. :D
Noteworthy milestone!!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for noting it, Barrett. :)
Immaculate ironwood! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Hey Guardians! :) I have a few posts to catch up with, but I just got in, after what has been a pretty good day :) I set out fairly early, on the top deck of the 36 bus, which takes me in grand style, from the bottom of my street, out into the splendour of the Yorkshire countryside, passing through the Harewood Estate and Harewood Castle. Along the way, I saw numerous Red Kites, deer, and a heron, along with some magnificent views.
haQI8oO.jpg

I was a bit spoiled for choice by the ales on offer, and ended up getting a pint of Brass Castle's excellent Hazelnut Porter, with half a Mad Monk Imperial Stout on the side ;) :thumbsup:
Thanks for the report on your travels, Jack. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Great photos and descriptions of some of the sights you saw and places you visited. I like the idea of getting 2 different beers in 2 different sizes!! ;):thumbsup:

Thanks for your titanic efforts of Lambsfoot inventorying Gary, it made for a very enjoyable read :) Do you know Listers from your time on the farm? I used to work on Listers very regularly when I first left school, they were the standard workhorse engine, and used on all manner of machinery :thumbsup:

Two great pics of Valley Jack :) :thumbsup:
I appreciate your encouraging words, Jack. :) I had not heard of Lister engines before seeing the diagram in your photo. Much of the farm machinery ran off a power-take-off shaft from a tractor engine (and machines that always stayed in the same place often had an electric motor). We did have a couple of small internal combustion engines on some equipment (e.g., a conveyor to move baled hay from the wagon up into the top of the hay mow in the barn), but those were air-cooled (IIRC, a common maker was Briggs & Stratton).

Thanks very much! I just finished butchering an apple with it...View attachment 1271756
:D:D

A herculean multi-quote from our friend, GT. :cool::thumbsup:

We should all be so lucky as to put down our lists and bathe among sweet treats. ;)

Trust me, working with them is MUCH harder than roping them. You have my respect. :):thumbsup:

Your week is off to a good start with the Valley Jack. :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words, John. :)

This is a very special blade, with seemingly magical qualities. It gave me the evil eye once.
Sensational knife, but some spooky patina! :eek::confused::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My lambsfoot this week is Black Jack, my 2018 Guardians ebony lambsfoot:
BJ.pile.Vopen.stonecoaster.jpg

- GT

Attachments

• 6.view.fr.alhambra.JPG
    6.view.fr.alhambra.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 9
  • 7.mountains.JPG
    7.mountains.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 9
This yours Valley Jack, Guardians 19, has extraordinary ironwood, Gary!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, José. That was a wonderful SFO; many of the knives were very different, yet were all very desirable! :):thumbsup::cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you GT. Your multi quotes post are a treasure. Valley Jack, a classic looked like it was having tons of fun.

Good Afternoon Guardians.
View attachment 1271960
I appreciate your positive comments, Harvey. :)
Enchanting photo of your old lambsfoot and watch! :cool::thumbsup::cool: For some reason, that watch makes me think of the White Rabbit's watch in Alice in Wonderland. :rolleyes:

I'm calling it beer thirty in Philly. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

1X9rBSQ.jpg
Looks like there's a Celebration going on in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

EJFDFSW.jpg
Ebony Lambfoot on a Sierra Nevada coaster. Although Sierra Nevada Beer in not one of my favorites, their coasters make nice backgrounds for knife pictures.

JE0uHe4.jpg
Excellent series of photos of fine lambsfoots along with Sierra Nevada products! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: It reminded me that several years ago, I went to visit my daughter living in Spain at the time. She took me to Granada for a couple of days, and Spain's Sierra Nevada mountains are visible southeast of that city.
View attachment 1273673
We ate lunch one day in the ancient Moorish section of the city at a place called Café 4 Gatos, and the owner was wearing a Sierra Nevada (CA) brewing t-shirt of which he was quite proud!
View attachment 1273672

Black Jack again:
BJ.mark.Vopen.flat.sunset.jpg

- GT

Always a pleasure to see your African Rosewood Lamb.
Thank you, Jack. It's always a pleasure to carry it. :)

Those look like very tasty sausages
I think I need to try Beans on Toast next. :D

Beautiful picture of your Hartshead, Jack. :cool::thumbsup:
I'm glad you carry yours so often, mine barely sees the light of day except for pictures. Brings balance to the force. ;)

I've led such a sheltered life
GT, stuck on the farm with only the cows for company. :( :D

bj-pile-vopen-stonecoaster-jpg.1273675
Fabulous photo. It's looking like a well-loved tool, GT. :cool::thumbsup:

Intergalactic surf's up!! Very cool, Vince! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (The text reminds me of Spaceman Spiff in the now-defunct Calvin & Hobbes comic strip.)

Thanks for the additional info about your telescope, Dennis; terrific photo! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

High-class horn, José & Ron! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ACs are Always Captivating, Joshua; glad you have one again! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've led such a sheltered life; are there any family-friendly Buckle Bunny documentaries?? :eek::D

Shucks, I'll ignore the entire corny discussion, except for acknowledging the quality of this image! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks. :) I've used Sno-Seal, which is basically beeswax, on wood handles, and have been happy with the results.

Thanks, Jack. :)

Moon over 2-blade lambsfoot: splendid photos, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
I don't know how tang stamps are applied to a knife. If they involve striking some kind of die with a hammer, I can imagine quite a range of quality due to uneven strikes, double strikes, etc. but that's all idle speculation by me.

Nice ebony, Mark! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
My wife claims that she has seen cilantro called coriander, Chinese parsley, Mexican parsley, and some word from India that she didn't remember.

Very cool mod, Joshua! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Is that a Cannon sailor's knife? I have a set of 3 of those that are really surprisingly-nice knives. :)

Noteworthy milestone!!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for noting it, Barrett. :)
Immaculate ironwood! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the report on your travels, Jack. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Great photos and descriptions of some of the sights you saw and places you visited. I like the idea of getting 2 different beers in 2 different sizes!! ;):thumbsup:

I appreciate your encouraging words, Jack. :) I had not heard of Lister engines before seeing the diagram in your photo. Much of the farm machinery ran off a power-take-off shaft from a tractor engine (and machines that always stayed in the same place often had an electric motor). We did have a couple of small internal combustion engines on some equipment (e.g., a conveyor to move baled hay from the wagon up into the top of the hay mow in the barn), but those were air-cooled (IIRC, a common maker was Briggs & Stratton).

:D:D

Thanks for the kind words, John. :)

Sensational knife, but some spooky patina! :eek::confused::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1273675

- GT

Thanks GT! It is a Cannon brand, and I was surprised at its quality for the price. I think if I do another mod, I might try an Otter anchor knife in carbon.

Nice pic Joshua :)

Maybe they played an important role working out flight plans during the war David :thumbsup:

Nice to see Linus again Fred, and I'm sure I'm not the only Guardian looking forward to his further adventures with @Wild Ben :thumbsup:

Those look like very tasty sausages John :) :thumbsup:

Cool pic Mike :D I can remember my uncle teaching me that as a very young boy :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Harvey, I don't know if I'd be able to keep up with those three partisanas! The image is taken from Ingrid Strobl's book of that name :thumbsup:

81IZQyaVQkL.jpg

It's a few years since I read the book, but maybe one of them is Lyudmila Pavlichenko, for whom Woody Guthrie wrote this famous song :thumbsup:

She probably carried a Lambsfoot :thumbsup:

Yesterday was, of course, the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz concentration camp, and International Holocaust Memorial Day.

Thank you, Jack.

Very interesting GT, I the Hindi name for dried cilantro/coriander is dhania, and I think it's the same when it's fresh :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend :) The Old Cock is a small low-ceilinged old pub, which always has a range of good beers on. As it was busy though, I couldn't see all the ones they had on tap, but greedily spotted the Imperial Stout right away. I asked how strong it was, and the landlady told me 8%, so I just asked for a half. "Just a half?" She asked. I told her that I'd probably end up having another, but since it was 8%, it seemed cheeky to have a pint in one go :D As she was poring it though, I spotted the Brass Castle Hazelnut Porter, so said I'd have a pint of that 'on the side' ;) :thumbsup:

Sorry for my confusion, and thanks for the information GT :) Those Lister engines are old-fashioned air-cooled straight twin diesel-engines, used on a variety of 'plant' machinery, (though the company made a range of engines), usually in a static or semi-static situation. They were 'common as muck' when I was young, but quite collectible today :thumbsup:

View attachment 1273675
[/QUOTE]

Great to see your Black Jack back :) :thumbsup:

We ate lunch one day in the ancient Moorish section of the city at a place called Café 4 Gatos, and the owner was wearing a Sierra Nevada (CA) brewing t-shirt of which he was quite proud!
View attachment 1273672

Black Jack again:
View attachment 1273676

- GT

Unusual name for a cafe GT! :D Another fab pic of your Black Jack :thumbsup:

I think I need to try Beans on Toast next. :D

Beautiful picture of your Hartshead, Jack. :cool::thumbsup:
I'm glad you carry yours so often, mine barely sees the light of day except for pictures. Brings balance to the force. ;)

You should John :D It's a snack, rather than a meal, and I don't actually have it very often, but every time I have beans on toast I really enjoy it! :D :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend, I really enjoy carrying it :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians

Cool pic John :cool: :thumbsup:

Another AC day. Anticipating baseball season.

View attachment 1273736

Looking good Joshua :) :thumbsup:

Seriously?? Do you think I'd get any action with this...?? :D
3rpFwsP.jpg

Saying that. Single? Yes. Young? Not so much...:D

Lol...you'd have to ask JohnDF JohnDF about that.

Unfortunately I have no firsthand knowledge on the subject. :oops:

Thanks. The factory edge was unsatisfactory, so I took the blade nearly flat to the stone. No longer mint, she's a fierce cutter now.

Apparently I'd missed a couple of posts over the weekend...

Do you think I'd get any action with this...?? :D
3rpFwsP.jpg
The only action you would get from that is "Bolt, Single, Double, Pump, or Lever." :D

Hello, Guardians!
Yesterday, I went to a friend's daughter's birthday party. They hired a petting zoo, and while I couldn't get amazing pictures like Dan's, it still was a lot of fun.
oHlwo1w.jpg
iRjvcJ1.jpg

Well, it's about time! Both wonderful, but that smooth white bone is fantastic.

I've been carrying my newest, the Ebony Big'un, but this coming week I'll switch it out for an old favorite. The Li'l Sambar. Often mistaken for an Ashley's, it's a shorter run Jack Black SFO. You can see the difference in the non-lined bolster.
Iq48cmg.jpg
I want to hold a hedgehog!!! :)
Love the picture with your AC and the Jammie Dodgers. I need to get some more of those.

Back