Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    @mitch4ging - BTW...No one I know would ever tire of seeing a Hartshead Barlow. Always a pleasure to see your SFO. Hope good things are going your way.

@Jack Black - Sounds like quite an adventure. As long as you’re safe and sound. My advice is to have a couple of pints and post us later.

Good Afternoon Guardians.
    46A66FD3-0C5A-45A6-92B0-AE567BE2CCB5.jpeg

2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Not much before 1900, is my recollection. It's been discussed way back.

Stephen byrne and Prester John like this.
  3. Dschal

Dschal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Have a great weekend Guardians!
    [​IMG]

4. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Glad you're okay. Looks kinda scary. :eek:

Jack Black and cigarrodog like this.
  5. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Afternoon Guardians
    My wife and I are on a little get-away in Northern California. We are spending a couple of days in the California foothills, visiting the gold rush towns of Angels Camp and Murphys. These towns are "historic" by California standards, which is pretty young by English standards. But they are full of Gold Rush and Old West history, as well as many tributes to Mark Twain who got his start here. He was writing stories while hiding from the law in a cabin in these hills. Oh ya, the weather is in the 70s and Sunny, an absolutely beautiful day. :cool::thumbsup:

The old town of Murphy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The old town of Angels Camp
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Jumping Frog panning for Lambsfoot Nuggets. :D
    [​IMG]

We also visited a museum that had a huge building dedicated to wagons and coaches. The old stage coach and covered wagon were my favorites.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pàdruig, mitch4ging, donn and 16 others like this.
  6. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    @JohnDF Great photos John! Hope you and the missus have a great weekend my friend! :thumbsup: :)

7. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Thank you, Ron. :)
    I can't beat the company. ;);)

Crazy Canuck and Half/Stop like this.
  8. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I pressed the like button.... but if you could read my mind it was more like the “envy” button
    :)

9. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    ^^^What Dan said!!:D^^^

10. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    @JohnDF - That was fantastic. Thanks for sharing your adventure, John.

11. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Good morning Guardians, starting out my day, as usual, with a couple of slices of toast and a cup of Yorkshire tea :)

[​IMG]

Today, I'm using the butt-end of a granary loaf from York's Bluebell Bakery for my toast :)

[​IMG]

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Unfortunately, I'm going to be busy over the next 2 days with a big parcel of work that has just landed in my lap, but I'll try and hang out here when I can. Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday :thumbsup:

12. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Very sorry that you're having to go through all this Ed :( I hope that the operation is successful, and that you'll soon be back with your friends on The Porch. We all care deeply about you Ed :thumbsup:

13. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Yesterday started off as a pretty nice day. We arrived in the neighbouring town of Huddersfield early, and called in at the Saturday market, which is always worth a visit. Like many places in the north of England, Huddersfield is a once grand and prosperous town, which has been in decline for a very long time, but it's still a nice place in my opinion. This is the train station, with a statue to one of Britain's former prime ministers, who was born in the town.

[​IMG]

After going to the market, we went for coffee and a toasted teacake, and then set out to walk up the canal to one of Huddersfiel's small satellite towns and villages, which were built around the cloth and woolen mills, which once gave the town its prosperity. The day had started off breezy, and the cold, biting wind, with some rain, only got worse as we walked, totally putting paid to my plans to get some slingshot practice on the way, and to test out a new wood stove set-up.

[​IMG]

We arrived at our destination, Slaithwaite, a little battered by the wind, but in reasonable time, and I decided to pick up a couple of loaves from the excellent bakery there - one of their Sourdough loaves and a slab of rosemary and sea-salt focaccia.

[​IMG]

After visiting a local antique shop, where I bought a watch-chain, and with the weather deteriorating, we boarded a bus to take us over the hills to another local town, Holmfirth.

[​IMG]

After a nice lunch, and a quick look around the town, we decided to return to Leeds via Wakefield. While it has to be one of the least attractive places in the north of England, Wakefield was on our way home, and I fancied visiting the antiques centre there. The journey over the Yorkshire hills and dales is a pleasant one, but as we started approaching the city itself, we ran into bad traffic. After 20 minutes of shuffling along, during which time I'd suggested getting off and walking several times already, we saw a couple of fire-engines arrive. With the high winds, I thought that they may have come to an incident related to a fallen tree, but soon after, we began to see black smoke appearing. A search on the internet indicated that there was a very large fire close by, and directly on our route. More fire-engines arrived, forcing the traffic onto the pavement. The bus clearly wasn't going anywhere, so I eventually managed to shoe-horn my companion out of her seat, and off of the bus :rolleyes: Other passengers got off, and as we began to walk into Wakefield, we began to see police officers wearing smoke-masks. The fire was some distance away, but the strong winds were pushing the smoke in our direction, and it had a pungent smell. One of the cops warned us that the smoke contained asbestos, and advised us to get out of the area as quickly as possible. We crossed the road, and quickly made our way through already deserted residential streets for half a mile or so, when I took a couple of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We headed on, through an industrial estate, following a winding lane which took us alongside the river.

[​IMG]

We were more than a mile away from where we'd started by now. We could see the smoke in the distance getting worse, and the wind direction changing, one minute blowing in our direction, the next blowing directly towards the city centre. Unfortunately, there was no bridge to cross the river, so we had to head back in the direction of the smoke to find one. We crossed over, and continued to move away from the smoke, with the air getting noticeably clearer. I took a few photos of this interesting old chapel (this is a different river here).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wind had changed again, and the smoke had gotten worse, and we could see the city centre wreathed in smoke. The traffic was completely gridlocked. We walked on through empty streets, trying to stay as far away from the smoke as possible. I then realised we were near the city's lesser railway station, and we headed towards it, with light smoke around us. At the old station, there were a few people, with their faces covered, trying to escape the smoke. A woman came in to tell us the city centre had been evacuated. Fortunately, a train came 10 minutes later, and we were able to get away, though we could still see the smoke even from the suburbs of Leeds.

They're still putting the fire out in Wakefield, and I'm still coughing, but I do need to get on with my work, so sorry for a very hurried report, and have a good day folks, I'll try to catch up fully later :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Great to see all the comradely posts to our fellow Guardian @Modoc ED :) Well done folks :thumbsup:

Great pic Stephen, in spite of Photobucket's best efforts o_O :thumbsup:

Thank you Harvey, certainly had worse days my friend ;) :thumbsup:

Great to see Linus there with you Ben, look forward to seeing more of your adventures :thumbsup:

Fantastic pic Vince, hope you enjoyed the Taddy Porter :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great to see you still enjoying that one John :) :thumbsup:

Hope you're doing OK DEnnis, and having a great weekend pal :thumbsup:

You need to check out the thread index Stephen, lots of interesting discussion there. Late 19th century :thumbsup:

Well done Dan :) :thumbsup:

Nice to see the pile side Ron :) :thumbsup:

It was a bit Harvey, wish I'd come home a different way! :D Thank you my friend, that's a wonderful photo, has me hankering for a second breakfast - or lunch! :D :thumbsup:

Smashing Dave, another great pic of another Tadcaster brew :) I'm thirsty! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot John, we were a long way off, but the wind was pushing that nasty smoke a long way :thumbsup:

Outstanding post John, hope you enjoy the rest of your break :) It sounds like a fascinating area to visit :) :thumbsup:

It crossed my mind to tote something a little fancier today, but I forgot! :D :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Pàdruig, mitch4ging, donn and 15 others like this.
  15. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Sunday Sausage Sandwich on Sla'wit Sourdough :)

[​IMG]

16. Reaper AL

Reaper AL Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 28, 2019
    CD72EF84-45C3-496E-B292-1AE95CC84A59.jpeg Mail call from who else but @jackblack not only games to play with my grandkids but licorice that I won’t share and a beautiful Hartshead lambsfoot. Great thanks jack

17. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb

Jun 9, 2010
    Still a handsome, capable knife Ed, even with its issues. I think we are both lucky to have them. :thumbsup:
    Very sorry to hear of your current situation and wish you the very best recovery and quick return to your back porch as well as our "porch" here. I have a feeling you're a tough old bird. Keep your chin up, my friend!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments, Dennis! Watch out for those alien robots and keep your Lambsfoot close at hand!

Thanks, Gary! Yes, those white threads are the remnants of last Halloween's spider webs that get stretched across the shrubbery.:rolleyes: I didn't even notice them until seeing them in the photo.
    Union Jack is handsome as ever!;) Nice pics there, my friend.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment on my Ebony, Gary. :thumbsup: I've always admired your Ebony "Black Jack" and that's another fine photo!:cool:
    Coriander/ Cilantro is an interesting herb with quite a history, it seems. I have seen it called those other names as well, but never heard of the Indian word for it. I've read that there may be a genetic predisposition for some folks to find the taste off putting.

@Jack Black Sounds like you had quite an adventure yesterday! Glad you made it home safely and hoping the rest of your weekend is a little more relaxing and smoke free!:eek: Thanks for the photos and recap.:thumbsup:

2019 Ironwood sfo helping with some vehicle maintenance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope everyone has an enjoyable Sunday!

18. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Sounds like an interesting day to say the least. Glad you managed to get back home safely, on the flip side your detour allowed for some pretty spectacular photos. Thanks for sharing Jack.

r8shell and Jack Black like this.
  19. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Glad it finally made it Al, and I hope you're having a great weekend my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Mark, I have asthma due to air pollutants, so that smoke was irritating. Certainly made for an interesting day :rolleyes: Great pics of your '19 helping out there :) :thumbsup:

Yes indeed Willie, I think my highlight was the great burger I had in Holmfirth :D Thank you :) It was nice to finally get some pics of that old chapel, and of course there was nobody else in sight ;) :thumbsup:

20. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks Jack! The pile side is different from the mark side, but still great Sambar making for a beautifully crafted SFO. :thumbsup: :)

@Reaper AL That’s a great mail call! :thumbsup: :)

@Jack Black Thanks for the great photo journey Jack! Hope y’all don’t have any lasting effects from that nasty smoke! :thumbsup: :)

Jack Black likes this.