Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Evening Guardians, I've had a pretty exhausting day. It was all going well until we came across this, which meant a lot of running around trying to escape asbestos-laden smoke, and just trying to get back home. Full report tomorrow. Have a good weekend folks :thumbsup:

_110736161_mediaitem110736159.jpg

7oNeIhq.jpg

Afternoon Guardians
My wife and I are on a little get-away in Northern California. We are spending a couple of days in the California foothills, visiting the gold rush towns of Angels Camp and Murphys. These towns are "historic" by California standards, which is pretty young by English standards. But they are full of Gold Rush and Old West history, as well as many tributes to Mark Twain who got his start here. He was writing stories while hiding from the law in a cabin in these hills. Oh ya, the weather is in the 70s and Sunny, an absolutely beautiful day. :cool::thumbsup:

The old town of Murphy

The old town of Angels Camp

A Jumping Frog panning for Lambsfoot Nuggets. :D

We also visited a museum that had a huge building dedicated to wagons and coaches. The old stage coach and covered wagon were my favorites.

Good morning Guardians, starting out my day, as usual, with a couple of slices of toast and a cup of Yorkshire tea :)

kKMAN0V.jpg

Today, I'm using the butt-end of a granary loaf from York's Bluebell Bakery for my toast :)

F2jxfDB.jpg

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Unfortunately, I'm going to be busy over the next 2 days with a big parcel of work that has just landed in my lap, but I'll try and hang out here when I can. Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday :thumbsup:

Well guys and gals, I'm making this my last post for the next three to four weeks. We're off to Portland, Oregon and OHSU (Oregon Health and Science University) Ivory Tower Hospital for cancer removal from my mouth and removal of my left jaw bone. They say they are going to take a piece of my fibula from my leg and put it where the removed jaw bone was. Ain't life grand:rolleyes::). I kinda need something humorous for a pick-me-up so my last glorious "Lambfoot" picture will be a two-blade Lamnbfoot with Rosewood covers along with my favorite "Wombat Poop" article along with a cute picture of a wombat and his poop. Makes me smile:):):) I hope the majority of these little guys survive the fires in Australia. GO WOMBATS!!!!
3Lk6H3V.jpg

Very sorry that you're having to go through all this Ed :( I hope that the operation is successful, and that you'll soon be back with your friends on The Porch. We all care deeply about you Ed :thumbsup:

Yesterday started off as a pretty nice day. We arrived in the neighbouring town of Huddersfield early, and called in at the Saturday market, which is always worth a visit. Like many places in the north of England, Huddersfield is a once grand and prosperous town, which has been in decline for a very long time, but it's still a nice place in my opinion. This is the train station, with a statue to one of Britain's former prime ministers, who was born in the town.

ijuMzDa.jpg

After going to the market, we went for coffee and a toasted teacake, and then set out to walk up the canal to one of Huddersfiel's small satellite towns and villages, which were built around the cloth and woolen mills, which once gave the town its prosperity. The day had started off breezy, and the cold, biting wind, with some rain, only got worse as we walked, totally putting paid to my plans to get some slingshot practice on the way, and to test out a new wood stove set-up.

fnEm5a0.jpg

We arrived at our destination, Slaithwaite, a little battered by the wind, but in reasonable time, and I decided to pick up a couple of loaves from the excellent bakery there - one of their Sourdough loaves and a slab of rosemary and sea-salt focaccia.

3dMDbKX.jpg

After visiting a local antique shop, where I bought a watch-chain, and with the weather deteriorating, we boarded a bus to take us over the hills to another local town, Holmfirth.

ss40l8l.jpg

After a nice lunch, and a quick look around the town, we decided to return to Leeds via Wakefield. While it has to be one of the least attractive places in the north of England, Wakefield was on our way home, and I fancied visiting the antiques centre there. The journey over the Yorkshire hills and dales is a pleasant one, but as we started approaching the city itself, we ran into bad traffic. After 20 minutes of shuffling along, during which time I'd suggested getting off and walking several times already, we saw a couple of fire-engines arrive. With the high winds, I thought that they may have come to an incident related to a fallen tree, but soon after, we began to see black smoke appearing. A search on the internet indicated that there was a very large fire close by, and directly on our route. More fire-engines arrived, forcing the traffic onto the pavement. The bus clearly wasn't going anywhere, so I eventually managed to shoe-horn my companion out of her seat, and off of the bus :rolleyes: Other passengers got off, and as we began to walk into Wakefield, we began to see police officers wearing smoke-masks. The fire was some distance away, but the strong winds were pushing the smoke in our direction, and it had a pungent smell. One of the cops warned us that the smoke contained asbestos, and advised us to get out of the area as quickly as possible. We crossed the road, and quickly made our way through already deserted residential streets for half a mile or so, when I took a couple of pics.

DgID7C9.jpg

dVnHIyK.jpg

We headed on, through an industrial estate, following a winding lane which took us alongside the river.

yHfxPh4.jpg

We were more than a mile away from where we'd started by now. We could see the smoke in the distance getting worse, and the wind direction changing, one minute blowing in our direction, the next blowing directly towards the city centre. Unfortunately, there was no bridge to cross the river, so we had to head back in the direction of the smoke to find one. We crossed over, and continued to move away from the smoke, with the air getting noticeably clearer. I took a few photos of this interesting old chapel (this is a different river here).

pv4aSNm.jpg

qr6NYuz.jpg

C3AUHIG.jpg

vhb0uvi.jpg

q4Kv2V3.jpg

The wind had changed again, and the smoke had gotten worse, and we could see the city centre wreathed in smoke. The traffic was completely gridlocked. We walked on through empty streets, trying to stay as far away from the smoke as possible. I then realised we were near the city's lesser railway station, and we headed towards it, with light smoke around us. At the old station, there were a few people, with their faces covered, trying to escape the smoke. A woman came in to tell us the city centre had been evacuated. Fortunately, a train came 10 minutes later, and we were able to get away, though we could still see the smoke even from the suburbs of Leeds.

They're still putting the fire out in Wakefield, and I'm still coughing, but I do need to get on with my work, so sorry for a very hurried report, and have a good day folks, I'll try to catch up fully later :thumbsup:

fuRHKzN.jpg

Great to see all the comradely posts to our fellow Guardian @Modoc ED :) Well done folks :thumbsup:

It's been a hectic couple of weeks so I haven't been on here but wishing everyone a happy and eventful weekend ..I had the A Wright and sons lambfoot out a couple of days during last week I'm liking it but still haven't given it the same pocket time as the way north witch is becoming one of my favourite tools .altogether I'm really appreciating this wonderful pattern it truly is an all business knife

Great pic Stephen, in spite of Photobucket's best efforts o_O :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack. May the weather be your friend tomorrow.

Thank you Harvey, certainly had worse days my friend ;) :thumbsup:

Good evening, Guardians! I have an honored guest in the house tonight: cousin Linus (on the left) has swaggered in to visit my ebony lamb! They seem to be hitting it off quite well. Linus has something of a debonair, but slightly rough around the edges and worldly air about him. Quite charming, actually!
I will be turning in for the night shortly for an early work day tomorrow, but I will let the boys visit as long as they would like.
We will keep you posted with Linus' adventures as soon as we can!
BenView attachment 1275752

Great to see Linus there with you Ben, look forward to seeing more of your adventures :thumbsup:

wuj5reS.jpg

Wonderful beer.

Fantastic pic Vince, hope you enjoyed the Taddy Porter :) :thumbsup:

xO2Rffg.jpg

zmdPJIo.jpg

Good Morning Guardians

Great to see you still enjoying that one John :) :thumbsup:

Morning John, et al!

Sorry, a recycled photo this morning.
Fbvv6TS.jpg

Hope you're doing OK DEnnis, and having a great weekend pal :thumbsup:

Developing a nice natural patina
anyone any info on the age of the lambfoot design I don't recall seeing Any at the start of the forum

You need to check out the thread index Stephen, lots of interesting discussion there. Late 19th century :thumbsup:

Took my kids to the skate trough the forest place yesterday.
I wanted to do a 5 km skate and check my progress stats :)
My kids took off fast and lost me in the first 3 min :D
My stats:
Distance: 5 km
Time: 25 min
Average speed: 12 km/hr

Not to too bad for their old man :D ( specially considering he is a short and stout, middle age man from south america who had never experienced ice and snow until his 20's LOL :D )

hUN9tp7.jpg

SyMwkvj.png

oh ... and I had a pretty nice wipe out at a fork in the trail ... in front of a couple that was standing there :D

Well done Dan :) :thumbsup:

My Jack Black Ashley’s Choice SFO today! :)

44771684972_3e2f5a6800_o_d.jpg

Nice to see the pile side Ron :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Sounds like quite an adventure. As long as you’re safe and sound. My advice is to have a couple of pints and post us later.

Good Afternoon Guardians.
View attachment 1276124

It was a bit Harvey, wish I'd come home a different way! :D Thank you my friend, that's a wonderful photo, has me hankering for a second breakfast - or lunch! :D :thumbsup:

Have a great weekend Guardians!
jVGYKEJ.jpg

Smashing Dave, another great pic of another Tadcaster brew :) I'm thirsty! :D :thumbsup:

Glad you're okay. Looks kinda scary. :eek:

Thanks a lot John, we were a long way off, but the wind was pushing that nasty smoke a long way :thumbsup:

Afternoon Guardians
My wife and I are on a little get-away in Northern California. We are spending a couple of days in the California foothills, visiting the gold rush towns of Angels Camp and Murphys. These towns are "historic" by California standards, which is pretty young by English standards. But they are full of Gold Rush and Old West history, as well as many tributes to Mark Twain who got his start here. He was writing stories while hiding from the law in a cabin in these hills. Oh ya, the weather is in the 70s and Sunny, an absolutely beautiful day. :cool::thumbsup:

The old town of Murphy

The old town of Angels Camp

A Jumping Frog panning for Lambsfoot Nuggets. :D

We also visited a museum that had a huge building dedicated to wagons and coaches. The old stage coach and covered wagon were my favorites.

Outstanding post John, hope you enjoy the rest of your break :) It sounds like a fascinating area to visit :) :thumbsup:

It crossed my mind to tote something a little fancier today, but I forgot! :D :thumbsup:

I8uOXiQ.jpg

Here's a knife from the same group Jack Black Jack Black and Ramrodmb Ramrodmb have been discussing. Mine has dark, rich, ebony but as you can see, the dummy that did the final sharpening at A. Wright managed to scratch the blade.

xuSq4Qv.jpg
Still a handsome, capable knife Ed, even with its issues. I think we are both lucky to have them. :thumbsup:
Very sorry to hear of your current situation and wish you the very best recovery and quick return to your back porch as well as our "porch" here. I have a feeling you're a tough old bird. Keep your chin up, my friend!:thumbsup:

Thanks John, but sadly...no:confused::rolleyes:

Thanks Harvey, an old Army issue shotgun shell pouch. :cool::thumbsup:

Glad she's ok,John! You have to worry about every little bump at that age. Glad you're close enough to take care of her!:):thumbsup:

Thank you kindly, Gary!:):thumbsup:

Sweet shot, Harvey!@:D:thumbsup:

A couple of fantastic photos Gary!! :cool:;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
The bottom photo, is that stone a metate??

Ouch! Hope it all went well!! Nice "worry stones " you have!:cool::thumbsup:

The cane could be Oosik?:eek::D:thumbsup:
Does look like a good one!! I hate having to use one, but it beats the alternative of falling and knocking down wallmart displays!:rolleyes:

Niiice, Harvey!!:)

That looks like a bag of trouble, Jack!:D:thumbsup: Fun shot!

Pleasant indeed, Ed! Just need a margarita!:cool::thumbsup:

Hope your dentist visit went well, Jack! Can't let that bread go to waste!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

A great looking dynamic duo, José!:cool::thumbsup:

Wonderful fotos, Mr Black! Hope you find a home for your psychedelic equestrian stray! :D:thumbsup:

Nice!!
I'm jealous of those handsome AC's!!:eek::):thumbsup:

Nice...and warm photo Mark! Well done!:):thumbsup:

:D Spidey would approve!!:cool::thumbsup:

Mmmmm, little sizzlers? :cool::thumbsup:

:( No fun at all, Dan! Been through a couple of those lately, you have my empathy!

:eek::eek: Well that wasn't very nice of you!! Never heard of that restaurant, but we have recently had a Black Bear Dinner open, and they can shure ruin a diet!:p:thumbsup:
And a great shot of your William Rogers!:thumbsup:

:cool::thumbsup:
Always liked Thing!:D Great backdrop for your herd!:thumbsup:

I carry a Lambsfoot....
JKj7wPb.jpg

....Because alien robots!:cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments, Dennis! Watch out for those alien robots and keep your Lambsfoot close at hand!

Handsome knife, Mark! :cool::cool::thumbsup: What are all the "squiggly white threads" in the pic? Some kind of spider web?

Here's another pic of Union Jack at the base of the pump where it bolts to the table:
View attachment 1266647

And since Union Jack is my lambsfoot this week, here's a bonus shot of his pile side, with a friend. Makes one wonder who's guarding whom! ;)
View attachment 1266646

- GT

Thanks, Gary! Yes, those white threads are the remnants of last Halloween's spider webs that get stretched across the shrubbery.:rolleyes: I didn't even notice them until seeing them in the photo.
Union Jack is handsome as ever!;) Nice pics there, my friend.:thumbsup:

Nice ebony, Mark! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
My wife claims that she has seen cilantro called coriander, Chinese parsley, Mexican parsley, and some word from India that she didn't remember.

My lambsfoot this week is Black Jack, my 2018 Guardians ebony lambsfoot:
View attachment 1273675

- GT

Thanks for the compliment on my Ebony, Gary. :thumbsup: I've always admired your Ebony "Black Jack" and that's another fine photo!:cool:
Coriander/ Cilantro is an interesting herb with quite a history, it seems. I have seen it called those other names as well, but never heard of the Indian word for it. I've read that there may be a genetic predisposition for some folks to find the taste off putting.

Jack Black Jack Black Sounds like you had quite an adventure yesterday! Glad you made it home safely and hoping the rest of your weekend is a little more relaxing and smoke free!:eek: Thanks for the photos and recap.:thumbsup:

2019 Ironwood sfo helping with some vehicle maintenance.

p6As1yV.jpg

LBPnENv.jpg

Hope everyone has an enjoyable Sunday!

Yesterday started off as a pretty nice day. We arrived in the neighbouring town of Huddersfield early, and called in at the Saturday market, which is always worth a visit. Like many places in the north of England, Huddersfield is a once grand and prosperous town, which has been in decline for a very long time, but it's still a nice place in my opinion. This is the train station, with a statue to one of Britain's former prime ministers, who was born in the town.

ijuMzDa.jpg

After going to the market, we went for coffee and a toasted teacake, and then set out to walk up the canal to one of Huddersfiel's small satellite towns and villages, which were built around the cloth and woolen mills, which once gave the town its prosperity. The day had started off breezy, and the cold, biting wind, with some rain, only got worse as we walked, totally putting paid to my plans to get some slingshot practice on the way, and to test out a new wood stove set-up.

fnEm5a0.jpg

We arrived at our destination, Slaithwaite, a little battered by the wind, but in reasonable time, and I decided to pick up a couple of loaves from the excellent bakery there - one of their Sourdough loaves and a slab of rosemary and sea-salt focaccia.

3dMDbKX.jpg

After visiting a local antique shop, where I bought a watch-chain, and with the weather deteriorating, we boarded a bus to take us over the hills to another local town, Holmfirth.

ss40l8l.jpg

After a nice lunch, and a quick look around the town, we decided to return to Leeds via Wakefield. While it has to be one of the least attractive places in the north of England, Wakefield was on our way home, and I fancied visiting the antiques centre there. The journey over the Yorkshire hills and dales is a pleasant one, but as we started approaching the city itself, we ran into bad traffic. After 20 minutes of shuffling along, during which time I'd suggested getting off and walking several times already, we saw a couple of fire-engines arrive. With the high winds, I thought that they may have come to an incident related to a fallen tree, but soon after, we began to see black smoke appearing. A search on the internet indicated that there was a very large fire close by, and directly on our route. More fire-engines arrived, forcing the traffic onto the pavement. The bus clearly wasn't going anywhere, so I eventually managed to shoe-horn my companion out of her seat, and off of the bus :rolleyes: Other passengers got off, and as we began to walk into Wakefield, we began to see police officers wearing smoke-masks. The fire was some distance away, but the strong winds were pushing the smoke in our direction, and it had a pungent smell. One of the cops warned us that the smoke contained asbestos, and advised us to get out of the area as quickly as possible. We crossed the road, and quickly made our way through already deserted residential streets for half a mile or so, when I took a couple of pics.

DgID7C9.jpg

dVnHIyK.jpg

We headed on, through an industrial estate, following a winding lane which took us alongside the river.

yHfxPh4.jpg

We were more than a mile away from where we'd started by now. We could see the smoke in the distance getting worse, and the wind direction changing, one minute blowing in our direction, the next blowing directly towards the city centre. Unfortunately, there was no bridge to cross the river, so we had to head back in the direction of the smoke to find one. We crossed over, and continued to move away from the smoke, with the air getting noticeably clearer. I took a few photos of this interesting old chapel (this is a different river here).

pv4aSNm.jpg

qr6NYuz.jpg

C3AUHIG.jpg

vhb0uvi.jpg

q4Kv2V3.jpg

The wind had changed again, and the smoke had gotten worse, and we could see the city centre wreathed in smoke. The traffic was completely gridlocked. We walked on through empty streets, trying to stay as far away from the smoke as possible. I then realised we were near the city's lesser railway station, and we headed towards it, with light smoke around us. At the old station, there were a few people, with their faces covered, trying to escape the smoke. A woman came in to tell us the city centre had been evacuated. Fortunately, a train came 10 minutes later, and we were able to get away, though we could still see the smoke even from the suburbs of Leeds.

They're still putting the fire out in Wakefield, and I'm still coughing, but I do need to get on with my work, so sorry for a very hurried report, and have a good day folks, I'll try to catch up fully later :thumbsup:

fuRHKzN.jpg

Sounds like an interesting day to say the least. Glad you managed to get back home safely, on the flip side your detour allowed for some pretty spectacular photos. Thanks for sharing Jack.

View attachment 1276455 Mail call from who else but @jackblack not only games to play with my grandkids but licorice that I won’t share and a beautiful Hartshead lambsfoot. Great thanks jack

Glad it finally made it Al, and I hope you're having a great weekend my friend :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black Sounds like you had quite an adventure yesterday! Glad you made it home safely and hoping the rest of your weekend is a little more relaxing and smoke free!:eek: Thanks for the photos and recap.:thumbsup:

2019 Ironwood sfo helping with some vehicle maintenance.

p6As1yV.jpg

LBPnENv.jpg

Hope everyone has an enjoyable Sunday!

Thank you Mark, I have asthma due to air pollutants, so that smoke was irritating. Certainly made for an interesting day :rolleyes: Great pics of your '19 helping out there :) :thumbsup:

Sounds like an interesting day to say the least. Glad you managed to get back home safely, on the flip side your detour allowed for some pretty spectacular photos. Thanks for sharing Jack.

Yes indeed Willie, I think my highlight was the great burger I had in Holmfirth :D Thank you :) It was nice to finally get some pics of that old chapel, and of course there was nobody else in sight ;) :thumbsup:

Back