Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I think I'd have to move.

Oh ya, I'd definitely move. :D

That building is fabulous! :cool::thumbsup:
Looks like a fun event. My Norwegian wife and kids would have loved it.

I used to have a lot of friends from York - in Sheffield - they reckoned it was a great place to visit, but not a good place to live! :rolleyes:

I think she would John, there were lots of Norwegians there :) :thumbsup:

They are real old buildings there too Charlie, but York floods so frequently they are pretty used to it. That pub there is closed at the moment, but it has a submarine-type door they swing to, they even used to keep serving behind the bar! :D :thumbsup:
I'm glad they have adapted, Jack!!
Cap't Nemo's Pub!! Kippers a speciality!!
Guinness Trout on tap at all times!!:D

Great pics! Weather like that is a distant memory over here.:(
Thanks, David. It was in the 70's F. Got chillier later in the week. In the 60's today, but I'm wearing short sleeves. I would hate wearing multiple layers of clothing in the winter.

The Viking Festival seemed a bit low-key this year, compared to in the past, but the traders were located in one of York's many impressive buildings, the medieval Merchant Adventurers' Hall. Check out the pics on the website because mine turned out rubbish! :( Plenty of knives on sale, and some even looked to be of a higher standard than the ones usually sold at the event :rolleyes:

1HlNUUp.jpg

p8T7zDI.jpg

xP19DVZ.jpg

fgxoc1c.jpg

if868RY.jpg

DYTvpWe.jpg

eIKzdGc.jpg

bhUsBtr.jpg

Obligatory naughty Viking with phone pic :rolleyes:

JeNniDd.jpg

I didn't buy any knives, but I did pick up a few bits and pieces :) The fire steel throws some good sparks, after some of my previous purchases, I made sure I had a piece of flint in my pocket so I could check it in advance of buying it ;) :thumbsup:

BfhkJC3.jpg

Hope everyone else is having a nice Saturday :thumbsup:
Lovely pics of the Viking Festival, Jack. :thumbsup:

Lambsfoot content:
BTIW0On.jpg

Today is Washington's Birthday (February 22). It was officially observed on Monday, but I still celebrate it on the 22nd (and Lincoln's on the 12th). I heard he carried a Barlow. I am sure it was not a lambsfoot, but I think he would have liked this one.

I'm glad they have adapted, Jack!!
Cap't Nemo's Pub!! Kippers a speciality!!
Guinness Trout on tap at all times!!:D

:D :thumbsup:

Thanks, David. It was in the 70's F. Got chillier later in the week. In the 60's today, but I'm wearing short sleeves. I would hate wearing multiple layers of clothing in the winter.

Lovely pics of the Viking Festival, Jack. :thumbsup:

Lambsfoot content:
BTIW0On.jpg

Today is Washington's Birthday (February 22). It was officially observed on Monday, but I still celebrate it on the 22nd (and Lincoln's on the 12th). I heard he carried a Barlow. I am sure it was not a lambsfoot, but I think he would have liked this one.

I think you'd hate not wearing it even more Vince! :eek: :D Thanks for the info on George Washington's birthday, which I'd thought was on Monday :confused: What do I know?! :rolleyes: That's a nice photo my friend :) :thumbsup:

Are the Dwarves? :D

I'm not sure John but they certainly like digging holes...
Llechwedd Slate Caverns.
hKQTdgc.jpg

Parys Mountain copper mine. They were digging this hole 3000 years ago.
ORaP2Cv.jpg

The Viking Festival seemed a bit low-key this year, compared to in the past, but the traders were located in one of York's many impressive buildings, the medieval Merchant Adventurers' Hall. Check out the pics on the website because mine turned out rubbish! :( Plenty of knives on sale, and some even looked to be of a higher standard than the ones usually sold at the event :rolleyes:

1HlNUUp.jpg

p8T7zDI.jpg

xP19DVZ.jpg

fgxoc1c.jpg

if868RY.jpg

DYTvpWe.jpg

eIKzdGc.jpg

bhUsBtr.jpg

JeNniDd.jpg

I didn't buy any knives, but I did pick up a few bits and pieces :) The fire steel throws some good sparks, after some of my previous purchases, I made sure I had a piece of flint in my pocket so I could check it in advance of buying it ;) :thumbsup:

BfhkJC3.jpg

They are real old buildings there too Charlie, but York floods so frequently they are pretty used to it. That pub there is closed at the moment, but it has a submarine-type door they swing to, they even used to keep serving behind the bar! :D :thumbsup:

I used to have a lot of friends from York - in Sheffield - they reckoned it was a great place to visit, but not a good place to live! :rolleyes:

I think she would John, there were lots of Norwegians there :) :thumbsup:

Great pics Jack; it certainly looks like a better effort than last year:thumbsup: It's great to see the market back in one of the old buildings and not in a crappy tent on Parliament Street. That looks like a great firesteel. :thumbsup:

Aye I remember that about the Kings Arms. I don't know if it's still done but during floods the Kings Arms used to lay a few planks out balanced on kegs and beer crates leading to their side door.:) So if you fancied having an ale or two in your wellies/waders you could wonder down King Street. No toilets though of course.

York is a great place to live but in the last 10 years say, it's become to gentrified and along with the intensive tourism has become an extremely expensive place to live. It has recently seen the third highest increase in residential rents in the the entire UK. :oops: I was going to move back there someday, but even if I could afford to I wouldn't as I can't justify the cost of property when I know 10 miles away property is 50% cheaper.:rolleyes:

Oh in all honesty I'd actually be flaking in the 70's. :( I'm much more used to winter but luckily I don't have to wear multiple layers.:D You may like this joke about Newcastle, one of our northern cities whose inhabitants have a reputation for being a bit hardy. It's comparing them to southerners who have a reputation in the north for, well, not being hardy. :D

The Fahrenheit temperature scale
50ºF
- Southerners turn on their heating. People in Newcastle plant their gardens.
40ºF- Southerners shiver uncontrollably. People in Newcastle sunbathe
35ºF- Southerners cars won't start. People in Newcastle drive with the windows down.
20ºF- Southerners wear coats, gloves and wool hats. People in Newcastle throw on a T-shirt (girls start wearing mini skirts).
15ºF- Southerners begin to evacuate. People in Newcastle go swimming in the North Sea.
0ºF- Southern landlords turn up the heat. People in Newcastle have the last barbecue before it starts to get cold.
-10ºF- Southerners cease to exist. People in Newcastle throw on a lightweight jacket.
-80ºF- Polar bears wonder if its worth it. Boy scouts in Newcastle wear long trousers.
-100ºF- Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. People in Newcastle put on their long johns
-173ºF- Alcohol freezes. People in Newcastle become frustrated because the pubs are shut
-297ºF- Microbial life starts to disappear. The cows on Newcastle Town Moor complain of vets with cold hands
-460ºF- All atomic motion stops. People in Newcastle start to stamp their feet and blow on their hands.
-500ºF- Hell freezes over. Sunderland qualify for Europe.

I saw a documentary on Mount Vernon a couple of years back; it looked a fascinating place full of history. :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - your images tells the story of water levels. I’d say there will be more coastal migration as whole cities get flooded over.:eek: Sadly what you show will be considered the good old days. Aren’t I the cheery sort?:D Great images of the Viking festivities.

donn donn - Thank you David. Parys Mountain Copper Mine is a fascinating look at History.

Good afternoon Guardians. (Sorry for the repeat image).
E60D8E2A-1C5F-483B-A17C-91FCB8903219.jpeg

1HlNUUp.jpg

p8T7zDI.jpg

xP19DVZ.jpg

fgxoc1c.jpg

if868RY.jpg

DYTvpWe.jpg

eIKzdGc.jpg

bhUsBtr.jpg

JeNniDd.jpg

BfhkJC3.jpg

Great post, Jack! I remember the Merchant Adventurers Hall like it was yesterday, although it's been years since we were there. Looks like fun!

I'm not sure John but they certainly like digging holes...
Llechwedd Slate Caverns.
hKQTdgc.jpg

ORaP2Cv.jpg

Great pics Jack; it certainly looks like a better effort than last year:thumbsup: It's great to see the market back in one of the old buildings and not in a crappy tent on Parliament Street. That looks like a great firesteel. :thumbsup:

Aye I remember that about the Kings Arms. I don't know if it's still done but during floods the Kings Arms used to lay a few planks out balanced on kegs and beer crates leading to their side door.:) So if you fancied having an ale or two in your wellies/waders you could wonder down King Street. No toilets though of course.

York is a great place to live but in the last 10 years say, it's become to gentrified and along with the intensive tourism has become an extremely expensive place to live. It has recently seen the third highest increase in residential rents in the the entire UK. :oops: I was going to move back there someday, but even if I could afford to I wouldn't as I can't justify the cost of property when I know 10 miles away property is 50% cheaper.:rolleyes:

Oh in all honesty I'd actually be flaking in the 70's. :( I'm much more used to winter but luckily I don't have to wear multiple layers.:D You may like this joke about Newcastle, one of our northern cities whose inhabitants have a reputation for being a bit hardy. It's comparing them to southerners who have a reputation in the north for, well, not being hardy. :D

The Fahrenheit temperature scale
50ºF
- Southerners turn on their heating. People in Newcastle plant their gardens.
40ºF- Southerners shiver uncontrollably. People in Newcastle sunbathe
35ºF- Southerners cars won't start. People in Newcastle drive with the windows down.
20ºF- Southerners wear coats, gloves and wool hats. People in Newcastle throw on a T-shirt (girls start wearing mini skirts).
15ºF- Southerners begin to evacuate. People in Newcastle go swimming in the North Sea.
0ºF- Southern landlords turn up the heat. People in Newcastle have the last barbecue before it starts to get cold.
-10ºF- Southerners cease to exist. People in Newcastle throw on a lightweight jacket.
-80ºF- Polar bears wonder if its worth it. Boy scouts in Newcastle wear long trousers.
-100ºF- Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. People in Newcastle put on their long johns
-173ºF- Alcohol freezes. People in Newcastle become frustrated because the pubs are shut
-297ºF- Microbial life starts to disappear. The cows on Newcastle Town Moor complain of vets with cold hands
-460ºF- All atomic motion stops. People in Newcastle start to stamp their feet and blow on their hands.
-500ºF- Hell freezes over. Sunderland qualify for Europe.

I saw a documentary on Mount Vernon a couple of years back; it looked a fascinating place full of history. :thumbsup:

Nice pics David :) Thanks :) Aside from the stuff at the Merchant Adventurers' Hall, there didn't seem to be anything else on at all, but it was pretty good there, lots of stalls, a really nice atmosphere, a beautiful building, the only downside was the two surly middle-aged attendants who spent the day growling at everyone :mad: Hard to imagine an easier job, they weren't actually 'security guards', and basically had nothing to do, but get paid to stand around, and they couldn't even be polite to the visitors, miserable pair of %&$@£#*! :mad: I really hope they both get sacked :thumbsdown:

I think the King's Arms has been closed at least a year now David. Sam Smith's pub, so they probably can't find anyone to run it o_O I hope it opens again soon :thumbsup:

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

It would take my dog about a week. :D

:D :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - your images tells the story of water levels. I’d say there will be more coastal migration as whole cities get flooded over.:eek: Sadly what you show will be considered the good old days. Aren’t I the cheery sort?:D Great images of the Viking festivities.

donn donn - Thank you David. Parys Mountain Copper Mine is a fascinating look at History.

View attachment 1288941

Things aren't getting any better are they Harvey?! o_O That pic is well worth repeating my friend :) I took a Lambsfoot and Brownie pic today, but like a lot of my pics today, it was out of focus :confused: o_O

Harvey, we'll always take a second helping of your delicious photos :D

Definitely :) :thumbsup:

Great post, Jack! I remember the Merchant Adventurers Hall like it was yesterday, although it's been years since we were there. Looks like fun!

Thanks a lot Gary, it's one of my favourite buildings :) :thumbsup:

1582420047253486414928.jpg
The lambsfoot on the left came to me in a box from mitch4ging mitch4ging in the latest edition of @mrknife's giveaway. They took the time to sniff each other, beautiful horn handle scales... Hard for me to send him on his way but I'm already a guardian (the rosewood handled knife on the right is my resident lambsfoot). Hopefully someone who isn't already will enter and perhaps give him a good home... Darned fine example if you ask me. I had a hard time packing it back up, but the way it sits I probably won't carry it. I decided to come here to hopefully find a good home for it... Nail nick is set up for a southpaw.

Getting some great patina on your HHB, Taylor!:thumbsup:
Thank you, fellas!

rAfwOmv.jpg
Nice, Dylan! Great contrast going on there!:cool::thumbsup:
This is a mid 20th century stag handled model from Joseph Elliot of Sheffield.

bf-lambfoot-joseph-elliot-jpg.1288444
What a beauty!:thumbsup:
Muchas Gracias, Señor Dennis. I found “Improper Dancing” quite proper. Added to my play list.
Lol, he was getting it!:D
I've not been up to much anything recently so it's been my swayback horn that's barely left my pocket for the past 4 days. A recycle pic.
bI6f9aQ.jpg
Still a great shot, David!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
View attachment 1288620
Lambsfoot and lamb chops for breakfast!
That's....canable lambable?:eek::D

Haven't carried Black Beauty for a while (my wife's name for this knife:)) but it felt like that kinda morning.

XPp2ucj.jpg
Sure, first they name them,...then they confiscate them!:p
Great looking "Black Beauty "!:thumbsup:
Lovely Lamb, Dennis. :cool::thumbsup:
Thank you much, John!:):thumbsup:
Good Morning Guardians
Just imagine the bell tied around a Lamb. ;)
Well that would certainly "ring" true!:D:rolleyes::oops: Love your WCLF!!:thumbsup:
Great pic, that patina is spectacular :cool: :thumbsup:
Thank you very much, Jack!:cool::thumbsup:
Here's the river a few weeks back...

tyb7z3b.jpg

...and from the same bridge today.

x9BOouL.jpg
Man, well here's to hoping it continues to drop and not rise anymore!
Led Zeppelin would have been obvious, so here's some Johnny:
Plenty of knives on sale, and some even looked to be of a higher standard than the ones usually sold at the event :rolleyes:

1HlNUUp.jpg
The fire steel throws some good sparks, after some of my previous purchases, I made sure I had a piece of flint in my pocket so I could check it in advance of buying it ;) :thumbsup:

BfhkJC3.jpg
Very cool, looks like a fun event!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Lambsfoot content:
BTIW0On.jpg
A very presidential HHB, Vince!;):thumbsup:
ORaP2Cv.jpg
Very interesting, David!
I grew up in a copper mining town, in SW New Mexico. The mine is Santa Rita. My great great grandfather was a miner in Cornwall, migrated to New Mexico in the 1860s. My father was born in the town in the photo, which is now part of the open pit. Thanks for the photos and history!:):thumbsup:
375px-Santa-Rita-NM-1919.jpg c0270442-800px-wm.jpg
e60d8e2a-1c5f-483b-a17c-91fcb8903219-jpeg.1288941
Sweet!!:cool::thumbsup:

My Horn Lamb.
DNhNyq9.jpg

View attachment 1289117
The lambsfoot on the left came to me in a box from mitch4ging mitch4ging in the latest edition of @mrknife's giveaway. They took the time to sniff each other, beautiful horn handle scales... Hard for me to send him on his way but I'm already a guardian (the rosewood handled knife on the right is my resident lambsfoot). Hopefully someone who isn't already will enter and perhaps give him a good home... Darned fine example if you ask me. I had a hard time packing it back up, but the way it sits I probably won't carry it. I decided to come here to hopefully find a good home for it... Nail nick is set up for a southpaw.

Great to see the Lambsfoot Love getting spread around :)

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack. Hang in there, Pal.

Thanks Harvey, I'm doing OK my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thank you very much, Jack!:cool::thumbsup:

Man, well here's to hoping it continues to drop and not rise anymore!
Led Zeppelin would have been obvious, so here's some Johnny:

Thanks for the tune pal :) It rained heavily throughout the afternoon, and all night long, so there may have been some more flooding. It's basically been raining here since last August, so all the ground is saturated. In the photos I showed of York, that is the River Ouse, which flows all the way to the North Sea. It has taken the water of the River Wharfe a few miles back. York is built at the confluence of the Rivers Ouse and Foss, but the smaller Foss has a flood barrier, which usually takes care of things. The Ouse has risen again since yesterday, but they seem to manage flooding pretty well over there, having had plenty of practice. Some of the smaller Yorkshire towns are much more affected though :(

I grew up in a copper mining town, in SW New Mexico. The mine is Santa Rita. My great great grandfather was a miner in Cornwall, migrated to New Mexico in the 1860s. My father was born in the town in the photo, which is now part of the open pit. Thanks for the photos and history!:):thumbsup:
View attachment 1289248 View attachment 1289249

Sweet!!:cool::thumbsup:

My Horn Lamb.
DNhNyq9.jpg

Very interesting Dennis, and a great pic of your Oxhorn Lamb :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend, and that all this talk of rising water levels isn't making you shiver! :eek: Has anyone heard from @Modoc ED ? I hope he is doing OK :thumbsup: It's not actually raining here at the moment, but a pretty gloomy day nonetheless, and I doubt our next downpour is that far away o_O I've plenty to do at home anyway, a couple of hours work, and lots of chores, and 'stuff that needs doing', so I don't reckon I'll be going anywhere. Enjoy your Sunday Guardians :) :thumbsup:

ZQGtkAE.jpg

btb01 btb01 looks like we’re neighbors. An island on Minnetonka, must be a Mound guy... or near enough. We’re just up the road in Rogers.

Yep, we’re in Mound. Been up to the Cabela’s in Rogers several times. :thumbsup:

1HlNUUp.jpg

p8T7zDI.jpg

xP19DVZ.jpg

fgxoc1c.jpg

if868RY.jpg

DYTvpWe.jpg

eIKzdGc.jpg

bhUsBtr.jpg

JeNniDd.jpg

BfhkJC3.jpg

Great photos, Jack! :thumbsup: I’m not sure what punishments were common in Viking culture, but they ought to subject that anachronistic Viking to a mock flogging, or maybe put him in the stocks for a bit. :D

Great photos, Jack! :thumbsup: I’m not sure what punishments were common in Viking culture, but they ought to subject that anachronistic Viking to a mock flogging, or maybe put him in the stocks for a bit. :D

Thanks Barrett, they did use to ask them to go away somewhere else and use their magical otherworldly devices, but I think a mild flogging or exile to some horrible place like Betty's Tea Rooms, would be quite appropriate for those who can't be asked nicely o_O Stocks even better! :D A few years ago, I was nearly skewered by a young 'Viking' who was walking along the street, eyes glued to his phone, while carrying a six-foot spear horizontally in his other hand! :eek: I did see one character with a squared-off spear-point, and wondered if this was punishment for some similar behaviour :rolleyes:

There was a group of 'Vikings' standing right outside the Hall vaping too yesterday :eek: Unlike these two from a couple of years ago, who took a more 'traditional' approach o_O

GJFOIvx.jpg

Last edited:
Back