Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

The lamb foot knife is a stunner Jack :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. I also enjoyed the article about hiking boots. I have a pair of Danner's that I love.

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg

Thanks Bill, it's great to have a truly good pair of boots :) Sadly, I can't wear most of mine now. I buy inexpensive lighter boots, which last me less than a year :( :thumbsup:

Nice work John, and that's great-looking garden furniture, and dog - what little I can see of him! :D :thumbsup:

It would irritate me too Matt, it's possible it's a 'second', but either way, I think it's shameful that a knife leaves the factory in that condition :(

That looks very tasty Ron, your ebony '18 too! :D Nice post my friend :thumbsup:

Hope you get a good one, I'm afraid they can be very hit and miss :( I can put up with cosmetic flaws, but a crooked blade would kill it for me too o_O Many of the knives here are SFOs, and I think it's fair to say they're very different to the standard models, hand-picked or not :thumbsup:

Thanks Barrett, I probably tested 20 pairs of boots that year, maybe more, it was a full-time job for me, as I acted as a design consultant to a few manufacturers too. In terms of publishing, that winter boots article was published in the January issue, which would have come out in December, and so I would have submitted it in November. Some of those boots I'd previously reviewed for other publications the winter before, and they were still available (no point writing about boots which nobody can buy), others I'd tested at the end of the previous winter, but some of them I'd have had to test in the summer, when I'd have preferred to be wearing lighter footwear otherwise. At the time, I didn't think I'd ever have a problem with my feet, but testing all those rigid, stiff boots (and I tested plastic mountaineering boots too) almost certainly contributed to the problems I have now.

At the time I was testing, the only Danner boots imported here, were military-style boots, which were sold by a sole-trader (no pun intended). I did review a few military-style boots, but not Danners. That pair look like a well-made pair of boots, but also very old-fashioned in terms of the Alpine styling. Over the past few decades, boots have become much lighter, with manufacturers utilising techniques, materials, and designs from other forms of footwear. Generally, a well-fitted pair of boots shouldn't require tortuous breaking-in, as in the past, but the trade-off is in longevity, so manufacturers get to sell more boots :rolleyes:

I'm not sure yet Barrett, but I doubt I'll be using one regularly. I think that's the first time I've drunk Lagavulin from one (I may be wrong), and I did overfill the glass, but I found the narrow neck of the glass tended to funnel the alcohol too much, rather than letting it disperse, and rather masking what I really enjoy about that whisky. For tasting, I think I prefer a wine-tasting glass, and for drinking I prefer my own whisky glass :)

NH1ptvW.jpg

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Funny story Barrett :D And nice Lambsfoot pics ;) :thumbsup:

That looks fantastic Dan :cool: :thumbsup:

:D :D :D :thumbsup:

I'd forgotten about Linus! :eek: Hope he's OK, Mark too, of course :) That's a great pic of your Guardians '19 Dylan. Hope you have a relaxing weekend my friend :) :thumbsup:

:cool: :thumbsup:
Jack, your HHB fits in well with the Lagavulin. Both are classics.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Having a mug of tea this morning - a little too early for my Lagavulin :D.

IMG_2262.JPG

Last edited:
For tasting, I think I prefer a wine-tasting glass, and for drinking I prefer my own whisky glass
A paper bag and a straw for me!
I'm going to buy some paper sandwich bags today to sort the knives in my former sock drawer. It takes me a long time to find any particular knife these days.
And my kitchen table is getting ideas from Jack Black Jack Black 's.
Deleted pic because the lambsfoot was on a background of non-lambsfoots.

Last edited:
Jack, your HHB fits in well with the Lagavulin. Both are classics.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Having a mug of tea this morning - a little too early for my Lagavulin :D.

View attachment 1315193

Thanks Bill, enjoy your tea :) :thumbsup:

A paper bag and a straw for me!
I'm going to buy some paper sandwich bags today to sort the knives in my former sock drawer. It takes me a long time to find any particular knife these days.
And my kitchen table is getting ideas from Jack Black Jack Black 's.

LOL! :D As long as you can find your Lambsfoot Jer ;) :thumbsup:

I carry a lambsfoot .....

comUubtm.jpg

.....because any knife with a pull of less than 9.5 is for sissies

How 'bout you?
Truth... :D:thumbsup:

I'm glad you got to get outside. Beautiful picture as usual. :cool::thumbsup:

Seriously...That’s one of the nicest knife sheath I’ve ever seen. Love the black stitching.
Thank you, Harvey. :)

Oooh... I really like that picture.
Not sure why, but it really stands out to me. Probably the leather... :D

Nice work John, and that's great-looking garden furniture, and dog - what little I can see of him! :D :thumbsup:
Thank you, Jack. :)
My Brother-in-Law builds wood outdoor furniture.
I told him (jokingly) I'd like a really big 10 foot picnic table.
Wouldn't you know he actually showed up with it one day. Really good guy.

Here's a better picture of my old dog, named Jack, Jack. :D

I like the switch-up, Jack. Keep things interesting. ;)
Hope you find more interesting things to keep you busy today.

Beautiful stag on your Hartshead. :cool::thumbsup:
Hope you're having a good day, Big Bill.

Half/Stop Half/Stop - I wish the whole country would act as one, with every State sheltering in place. May you and yours stay safe, Ron. Your 2018 Ebony SFO and a plate of bounty looks quite appealing.

Good Evening Guardians. Safety First!
9f035e89-1453-41a6-8ba5-f129ac6939d9-jpeg.1315125
Thanks Harvey! I totally agree with you about all states following the same guidelines. I’m afraid the ones that are not doing it now will pay the price eventually. :( I love my ‘18 Ebony! :) That’s a beautiful photo of your Stag Hartshead. The stag looks like caramel! :thumbsup: Be safe! :)

That looks very tasty Ron, your ebony '18 too! :D Nice post my friend :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack! :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, I hope that all of you are safe and well, and that everyone still working is enjoying a much-needed break :thumbsup: It's starting to feel a bit like Groundhog Day here at Grumble Towers, so, since my choices are limited in most things, I thought I'd have a change of Lambsfoot today ;) Have a good weekend Guardians :thumbsup:

BKzwgep.jpg
It’s great to see your Rosewood Bigun. :thumbsup: Hope you have a great day Jack! :)

Your knife and the food look awesome!:thumbsup:
Thank you Bill. :)

Good Morning Guardians
I can kind of relate to Jack's Groundhog Day comment.
Being stuck at home with the same people every day seems to breed predictability.
Mornings in the shop, afternoon walk/workout, sit on the porch, evening dinner, board games, and TV before bed.
I'm not complaining, it's been kind of fun and reminds me of how things must have been in days of old... you might say, "traditional". ;)

We had to wear steel toed boots at work and the company paid for one pair a year. I made sure to grab a last pair just before I retired in 2010. These Timberlands were comfortable right out of the box. When I was younger I would get Red Wing boots. Good boots but the break-in period was a nightmare. :eek:

Here's a better picture of my old dog, named Jack, Jack. :D

I like the switch-up, Jack. Keep things interesting. ;)
Hope you find more interesting things to keep you busy today.

Good name for an old dog ;) Nice story behind your table John :) I haven't been out since Thursday, and we're being told to stay indoors this weekend :( I'm sure I can find things today though, just done the dishes o_O ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks Harvey! I totally agree with you about all states following the same guidelines. I’m afraid the ones that are not doing it now will pay the price eventually. :( I love my ‘18 Ebony! :) That’s a beautiful photo of your Stag Hartshead. The stag looks like caramel! :thumbsup: Be safe! :)

Thank you Jack! :) :thumbsup:

It’s great to see your Rosewood Bigun. :thumbsup: Hope you have a great day Jack! :)

Thank you Bill. :)

The situation here is even more confused it seems, nobody seems to know the heck is going on? o_O Thanks a lot Ron :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
Being stuck at home with the same people every day seems to breed predictability.
Mornings in the shop, afternoon walk/workout, sit on the porch, evening dinner, board games, and TV before bed.
I'm not complaining, it's been kind of fun and reminds me of how things must have been in days of old... you might say, "traditional". ;)

Have a good Groundhog Day John ;) Lambsfoot and pie, mmmm ;) :D :thumbsup:

I believe I’ll stay around the house today! :rolleyes: Y’all be vigilant out there! :thumbsup: What can I say Jack?! :eek:Great minds and all! :thumbsup: :D

49556110058_6c21397fbc_o_d.jpg

Looking good pal ;) :thumbsup:

I was busy yesterday slicing fruit for a smoothie. The hardest work I've done since February.

vRopGDG.jpg

Good stuff Ed, hope you're slicing fruit for a cocktail soon ;) :thumbsup:

We had to wear steel toed boots at work and the company paid for one pair a year. I made sure to grab a last pair just before I retired in 2010. These Timberlands were comfortable right out of the box. When I was younger I would get Red Wing boots. Good boots but the break-in period was a nightmare. :eek:

Always worth having a pair of steelies in the closet, I came across a pair myself just the other day ;) I'll have to drag them out for a pic :thumbsup:

There was a time I used to wear them every day myself, but most pairs I find a little stiff for me these days :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
Remember in the history category that it was the Moops that invaded Spain.

I’m enjoying all this talk of boots. My 15 year old pair of Carolina work boots went to the cobbler for resoling shortly before the shelter-in-place order and they’re still there. I suspect they’ll be there a while. Fortunately, they see rare and light use, so their absence is not a burden. I do hope the cobbler is fairing OK though. He’s a nice guy and does good work.

On the sourdough front, I’ve reached the final step of the process I’ve been following. It should be ready to try for its first bread in the next day or so.

xzRWD0kh.jpg

Can it achieve a full GUARDIAN rise today? We’ll find out!

Last edited:
It's a start... ;):D:thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

You as well, Jack.:)
Not sure why you can't step outside, but I guess if you loosen the reins then you have too many taking advantage of it.

So far, all the vague government instructions have been based on what is happening in London, where they are being routinely ignored. They have issued particular instructions to stay indoors this weekend based on the London weather forecast for bright sunny weather - it's dull, overcast, and quite cold here. I'd probably be OK going out to the garden, but police vans keep going up and down the street, so I'm not going to go further afield. I wouldn't be going shopping this weekend anyway, which is about the only thing I'm allowed to go out to do. Essential workers are allowed to move around, going to and from work, but since they haven't defined what constitutes essential work, many people are either ignoring it, or being bullied into work. I have a neighbour 2 doors down, with a couple of young kids, who, after taking 2 weeks holiday, has been threatened with the sack if she doesn't come into work on Monday (which means her kids will be schooled with the kids of nurses, doctors, etc). She works in a call-centre selling packages for Sky! o_O

A simple breakfast of eggs and fruit.

A healthy-looking repast John :) :thumbsup:

I’m enjoying all this talk of boots. My 15 year old pair of Carolina work boots went to the cobbler for resoling shortly before the shelter-in-place order and they’re still there. I suspect they’ll be there a while. Fortunately, they see rare and light use, so their absence is not a burden. I do hope the cobbler is fairing OK though. He’s a nice guy and does good work.

On the sourdough front, I’ve reached the final step of the process I’ve been following. It should be ready to try for it’s first bread in the next day or so.

xzRWD0kh.jpg

Can it achieve a full GUARDIAN rise today? We’ll find out!

I hope the cobbler survives OK Greg. Here, I doubt a lot of small businesses will :(

Good luck with your first sourdough my friend :) Good-looking horn on your Guardians Lambsfoot :cool: :thumbsup:

Back