Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Bonus Sunday Picture...

And a great bonus it is John, I have a wee stiddy that size sitting on my desk-top :)

Him too, I guess. I remember on his website, he had a list of every book he's read, I think going back to the 1960's, at least. Not a lot of fluff on the list.

I always wondered what those pop-stars did with themselves between magnums of Champagne and dalliances with besotten young ladies :D :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians :)
Thank you for the kind words :)

OuAAVEp.jpg

Today I plan on organizing my shop and perhaps start some turning.
Trying to decide between an ambrosia maple and a mahogany blanks for my first bowl of 2020.

VJeAija.jpg

Please keep us posted Dan :) :thumbsup:

Infuriating, isn't it? I suppose at one point the manufacturers could be excused for not having long term data on how the materials hold up. Now, though, I think it may be chalked up to planned obsolescence or consumers now replacing things for shinier new models before they hit this point.

Yes, a certain type of dual-density sole introduced in the mid 90's seems to have been particularly vulnerable, but the problem is widespread. There are so many con-tricks perpetrated upon outdoor enthusiasts, and none of the stuff is cheap. Sadly, most folks fall for all the lies told to them, and accept replacing equipment that fails long before it should. There was a time when people put on their old clothes to go out to the great outdoors, now they have to dress up in this seasons colours. No wonder they're seen as easy prey by ad-men and unscrupulous vendors o_O

I also had two taquitos: one with potatoes and egg a la Mexicana (with onion, tomato, and serrano peppers), and one with refried beans and bacon. And I added some shredded cheddar cheese. And hot sauce, of course. With whole milk and black coffee--breakfast of champions! :):cool:

Sounds good Vince :) Late afternoon here, and I am just finishing off that veggie chilli with some brown rice. Next, I am going to weave some sandals out of organic yogurt and tie-dye a kaftan! :D :thumbsup:

Here's a screenshot from Art's website:
Y0m4eYD.png

Individually wrapped in plastic, as well as recorded :rolleyes: I'm sure he's read Freud! :D He's actually keeping his hair a lot better than one might have expected, but then I think Paul Simon was the wild one of the duo ;)

I have a friend who I've known since he was in his early twenties. All that time he's had his head shaved, and so I've never seen his hair colour. Apparently though, a photo exists of him, as a 14 year-old, with both the hair and hair-line of Art Garfunkel (hence the crop)! :D He figured he was about to go bald, but maybe not. I'll have to show him this pic Vince, I've tried all sorts of ruses to try and get him to grow his hair over the years! :D :thumbsup:

I hope you all are keeping well in these strange times. I wanted to talk about Linus for a moment - I might have missed it somewhere but last I saw, he was with Mark? I hope he is well. With everything that is going on in the world, please do not feel obligated to adhere to the guidelines of the passaround. If anyone needs help with shipping, send me a message, I will gladly cover it. Otherwise, stay healthy, keep safe, and enjoy what pleasant moments that come your way.

I hope the weekend turns out to be a pleasant one. I'm taking advantage of a nice break in the weather with some good Ol' Ironwood.

ggT53o0.jpg

Hello fellow Guardians!

I haven't been able to get to the rest of my "quotes" but wanted to address this one asap.

Hi Dylan, Hope you are doing well.:thumbsup:
Linus is here with me and safely "sheltering in place". To be honest, not near the top of my list of priorities, at the moment. I'm sure you'll understand. Rest assured he is safe and will be going out as soon as I am able to. With that said, I always have trouble finding the list of participants and will need the next persons info, when that time comes. Can anyone point me towards that list?
Thanks, all.:thumbsup:

Hello fellow Guardians!

I haven't been able to get to the rest of my "quotes" but wanted to address this one asap.

Hi Dylan, Hope you are doing well.:thumbsup:
Linus is here with me and safely "sheltering in place". To be honest, not near the top of my list of priorities, at the moment. I'm sure you'll understand. Rest assured he is safe and will be going out as soon as I am able to. With that said, I always have trouble finding the list of participants and will need the next persons info, when that time comes. Can anyone point me towards that list?
Thanks, all.:thumbsup:

Not to worry Mark. Things (injuries, illness, surgeries) happen in life that derail our plans.

Yes, a certain type of dual-density sole introduced in the mid 90's seems to have been particularly vulnerable, but the problem is widespread. There are so many con-tricks perpetrated upon outdoor enthusiasts, and none of the stuff is cheap. Sadly, most folks fall for all the lies told to them, and accept replacing equipment that fails long before it should. There was a time when people put on their old clothes to go out to the great outdoors, now they have to dress up in this seasons colours. No wonder they're seen as easy prey by ad-men and unscrupulous vendors o_O

Yeah. :(

I do want to say, though, lest I sound too negative, that there are still some very stand-up manufacturers out there. I'm sure you have your favorites.

Within the past few years I've had a small climbing equipment manufacturer repair a 15 year old day pack under their lifetime warranty (it seemed like normal wear to me and I expected to pay, but they concluded that the stitching had not been up to snuff; perhaps just an excuse to really stand by their product) and an outerwear manufacturer replace, for the cost of a repair, an expensive Gore-Tex jacked I'd torn when they were unable to repair it. I was already sold on their products and now have double reason to be a customer of theirs for life. :thumbsup:

I also had two taquitos: one with potatoes and egg a la Mexicana (with onion, tomato, and serrano peppers), and one with refried beans and bacon. And I added some shredded cheddar cheese. And hot sauce, of course. With whole milk and black coffee--breakfast of champions! :):cool:

Vince, if I ever find myself in your neck of the woods, we're going to have breakfast together. For all three meals! :D

How did I miss this?! :eek: That looks great Greg :thumbsup:

:D And here I thought I was getting the silent treatment for too much sourdough and too little lambsfoot content. :D

Speaking of lambsfoot content, I think I'll give my three heavy users (standard buffalo, JB SFO rosewood, Hartshead Barlow) the spa treatment today. Each could use a touch up of their edges and some oiling. It's pouring rain outside, which is perfect knife maintenance weather if you ask me. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah. :(

I do want to say, though, lest I sound too negative, that there are still some very stand-up manufacturers out there. I'm sure you have your favorites.

Within the past few years I've had a small climbing equipment manufacturer repair a 15 year old day pack under their lifetime warranty (it seemed like normal wear to me and I expected to pay, but they concluded that the stitching had not been up to snuff; perhaps just an excuse to really stand by their product) and an outerwear manufacturer replace, for the cost of a repair, an expensive Gore-Tex jacked I'd torn when they were unable to repair it. I was already sold on their products and now have double reason to be a customer of theirs for life. :thumbsup:

Greg, there are certainly some good manufacturers out there. As a general rule, I tend to find those still owned by their original founders to be among them (not always though). Good service is always a good reason to return. On a more subtle level, there is an awful lot of badly-designed junk out there. The buying public generally believe that if they're paying $500 for a waterproof jacket, for example, it will be well-designed, and will keep them dry. Maybe, maybe not :rolleyes:

And here I thought I was getting the silent treatment for too much sourdough and too little lambsfoot content. :D

:D :thumbsup:

You can still get the old label, which I definitely prefer, but most of the supermarkets, which are now stocking it, seem to prefer the new one. There's a few other designs. They're a bit of a stupid company really, for years of having no marketing at all, the very limited marketing they're now doing is really poor o_O The most annoying thing for me is them trying to re-brand the age-old relish as 'Hendo's'! :mad: Sheffielders either call it 'Henderson's', 'Enderson's', or just 'relish' 'Hendo's sounds like something that would come out of the mouth of some whiney Scouse student, sitting in his 'onesie', putting it on his cornflakes! :mad: Why did they ever abolish horse-whippin'?! o_O

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is doing OK and keeping well :) No bread for my toast this morning, but I managed ;) Enjoy your Sunday folks :thumbsup:

a6JIoq4.jpg

I bet they thought “Hendo’s” would be better for a hashtag. #hendos :rolleyes: :D

I'm enjoying the boot discussion at the moment. I no longer have to wear dedicated work boots but did in my formative years. I still though own a pair of steelies though for those occasional jobs but I've got to say here in the UK the quality of footwear has deteriorated in the past few years, with of course a corresponding increase in price. I pity folk these days who have to wear the poor excuse for modern work boots. Examples are Doc Martens, which now are complete rubbish, and Catepillar, though I know that those companies distribute different makes and models in different countries. Certainly in North America you appear to have a much greater range of quality work boots available. :thumbsup:
What is really annoying though is a few years ago manufacturers actually started messing round with the sizes. For 30 years I'd been a UK size 9 but about 5 years ago I found out I was a UK size 10.:confused::rolleyes:

But Jack's right about how comfortable modern walking boots are. These are my Alt-Berg Tethara, my dedicated winter walking boots. About 11 years old now I could walk miles in these straight out the box; not something I could of done with boots 20 years ago. Certainly not cheap, and I'm not looking forward to paying for their replacement :eek: but they are worth every penny.:thumbsup:
zQrVn6f.jpg

I hope everyone has a nice Sunday planned.:thumbsup:

Nice looking pair of boots there, David! :thumbsup:

I used to wear Doc Martens in the 80's, and I got through a pair every 3 months o_O But they were cheap then, unlike now :eek: Unfortunately, the manufacturing industry here is barely non-existent now, and most footwear is imported from Third World countries, with lots of the old outdoor companies having been bought up by that scumbag trainer-king :mad: Every time I go to buy any form of footwear, I have to explain that an 11 is not a 45 (it's somewhere between a 46 and a 47), and that a 46 (10 3/4) is not a 12! o_O Most of my boots are now sized 48! Half-sizes and different width fittings have all but disappeared here. Those look like an excellent pair of winter boots David, hope you have a good day my friend :) :thumbsup:

Doc Martens were the “cool” thing to have back when I was in junior high and high school, but I can’t think of the last time I’ve seen someone wearing them.

What about Art Garfunkel, with that 'high-forehead' and preppy look?! :D :thumbsup:

:D :D

Two years ago that happened to a pair of mine while backpacking. Chunks of the midsole just started coming off. The sole of one of my companions’ boots also delaminated. By the time we finished the trip we’d run through all of our emergency duct tape and resorted to paracord to hold our boots together.

dkaXvmHh.jpg

The next year, the sole of one of my other companion’s boots failed on the trail. All three of us now have new boots. Hopefully we’ll be OK for several years. But, with all of our purchases aligned in time, perhaps we are setting ourselves up for an epic boot failure in a future trip... :eek:

This is what my old pair of boots (purchased around 2001 and replace about 10 years ago) looked like when I finally retired them. :eek: :D

7uuwIYa.jpg

I'm surprised they sell Dukes that far north Barrett! Since it's an old time southern brand from North Carolina. :thumbsup: Those pigs look delicious and the Rosewood Hartshead fits right in there! :cool: :)

They have it at the bigger Walmarts up here, but that’s about it. Last time we were back in Arkansas a bought a couple jars; much easier to find it there. :thumbsup:

Here’s a recycled Lambsfoot photo, my Hartshead Barlow and a bottle opener that was a gift from Jack Black Jack Black (mounted on the wall near my “beer fridge”).

jnrihlt.jpg

I bet they thought “Hendo’s” would be better for a hashtag. #hendos :rolleyes: :D

From what I understand, they didn't have a website, and some stupid pop band offered to set one up for them o_O

Doc Martens were the “cool” thing to have back when I was in junior high and high school, but I can’t think of the last time I’ve seen someone wearing them.

Popular with hipster types here, and cost way north of £100 a pair o_O My granddad used to wear them :rolleyes:

:D :thumbsup:

This is what my old pair of boots (purchased around 2001 and replace about 10 years ago) looked like when I finally retired them. :eek: :D

7uuwIYa.jpg

Looks like you got your money's worth Barrett, but that's poor construction isn't it? My first pair of really good boots were Blake-sewn Scarpas, and I got tens of thousands of miles out of them over 10 years. When it got to the point the tread was so worn they needed replacing, they were still as solid as when I bought them, but by then I wasn't having to pay for my boots ;) :thumbsup:

Here’s a recycled Lambsfoot photo, my Hartshead Barlow and a bottle opener that was a gift from Jack Black Jack Black (mounted on the wall near my “beer fridge”).

jnrihlt.jpg

That's a coincidence my friend, I picked that bottle-opener up in Eyam, from a shop I was telling @donn about just the other day :) Nice photo :thumbsup:

Back