Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Hard working knives deserve to be pampered every once in a while. That means.... Spa Day!

My three most hard working lambsfoot knives each got some TLC this afternoon. Each knife received essentially the same treatment. The order of operations differed a bit, but each luxuriated in:

Deep Cleaning
e0pFE5Sh.jpg

I used Goof Off to remove any residual gunk from slicing through plastic shipping tape. Then I oiled and flushed their joints. The rosewood one pictured above had a bunch of gunk come out of the joint. It had been getting really catchy while opening recently, so it was a relief to see that clear and then feel a nice smooth action after that on opening and closing.

Edge Touch Up
Each knife received a touch-up on the KME sharpening system followed by power stropping on the leather honing wheel of my Tormek.

FojFFjah.jpg

The Hartshead had a nice edge that had been originally set with the KME, so I worked it through the 600 and 1500 grit stones before stropping on the Tormek to bring it back to the way I'd originally set it.

The other two had most recently had their bevels set on the Tormek, which gave them a slightly hollow grind. That made touching them up on the KME with the 600 grit stone super quick: there was very little contact between the steel and the stone.

After finishing up with the leather honing wheel they were all shaving sharp. Just the way I like them.

Conditioning
Their handles all were treated with homemade wood balm that contains beeswax and mineral oil. I've routinely use thing on the buffalo horn one and figured it'd help up the luster on the wood handles as well. I slathered it on, let it set, and then buffed it off with a cloth.

3lzgQi2h.jpg

Relaxing
Here's the happy trio, basking in the afterglow of their spa day:

SLPkJxSh.jpg

Tomorrow it'll be back to hard work. :)

Very NICE Greg :) :thumbsup:
It's satisfying to look at those razor sharp edges on your last pic :thumbsup::)

This is what my old pair of boots (purchased around 2001 and replace about 10 years ago) looked like when I finally retired them. :eek: :D

7uuwIYa.jpg

Yowza, Barrett! I’d say they’d earned a rest!

Looks delicious Greg! :)

Thanks, Ron! They went down a little too easy. Ended up skipping lunch. ;)

Super job!!! They look like they're ready to be put to work again. :cool::thumbsup:

Very NICE Greg :) :thumbsup:
It's satisfying to look at those razor sharp edges on your last pic :thumbsup::)

Thanks, guys! It was well past due.

Last edited:
Hard working knives deserve to be pampered every once in a while. That means.... Spa Day!

My three most hard working lambsfoot knives each got some TLC this afternoon. Each knife received essentially the same treatment. The order of operations differed a bit, but each luxuriated in:

Deep Cleaning
e0pFE5Sh.jpg

I used Goof Off to remove any residual gunk from slicing through plastic shipping tape. Then I oiled and flushed their joints. The rosewood one pictured above had a bunch of gunk come out of the joint. It had been getting really catchy while opening recently, so it was a relief to see that clear and then feel a nice smooth action after that on opening and closing.

Edge Touch Up
Each knife received a touch-up on the KME sharpening system followed by power stropping on the leather honing wheel of my Tormek.

FojFFjah.jpg

The Hartshead had a nice edge that had been originally set with the KME, so I worked it through the 600 and 1500 grit stones before stropping on the Tormek to bring it back to the way I'd originally set it.

The other two had most recently had their bevels set on the Tormek, which gave them a slightly hollow grind. That made touching them up on the KME with the 600 grit stone super quick: there was very little contact between the steel and the stone.

After finishing up with the leather honing wheel they were all shaving sharp. Just the way I like them.

Conditioning
Their handles all were treated with homemade wood balm that contains beeswax and mineral oil. I routinely use this on the buffalo horn one and figured it'd help up the luster on the wood handles as well. I slathered it on, let it sit, and then buffed it off with a cloth.

3lzgQi2h.jpg

Relaxing

SLPkJxSh.jpg

A great post Greg! :thumbsup: A terrific looking trio of Lambs! :cool: :thumbsup: :)

Through mud and snow and ice. I couldn’t take action photos, because I was with other people, socially distant. No crampons needed today.
FWLxt0s.jpg

TSxbQIo.jpg

Great pics Dave, I hope you and your pals had a grand day out :) :thumbsup:

First time out in my little shed this year wood turning
Ambrosia Maple bowl .

QIirWP1.jpg

aD74MNz.jpg

7RyAi2N.jpg

Wow Dan, that's amazing, well done :) Great pics too :thumbsup:

Deep Cleaning
e0pFE5Sh.jpg

Edge Touch Up

FojFFjah.jpg

Conditioning
Their handles all were treated with homemade wood balm that contains beeswax and mineral oil. I routinely use this on the buffalo horn one and figured it'd help up the luster on the wood handles as well. I slathered it on, let it sit, and then buffed it off with a cloth.

3lzgQi2h.jpg

Relaxing

SLPkJxSh.jpg

Excellent post Greg :) I've never seen Goof Off here, I use lighter fluid for removing blade gunk. How do you find that KME system? I'd forgotten about your Tormek system, leather wheels are cool. I came across a tube of Tormek paste in my sharpening box, but I haven't used it yet. Fantastic work my friend, thanks for sharing :) :thumbsup:

Cool pic, that's a very respectable Lambsfoot collection :) :thumbsup:

What's the best wrap-up for a Spa Day? Pizza!

1vcRkmJh.jpg

Sourdough, of course! ;)

A well-deserved reward :) Looks delicious Greg :) :thumbsup:

I’m from Arkansas. We went barefoot a lot. :p

LOL! :D Here, boys still had to wear short trousers 365 days a year, irrespective of the weather (some cold winters here in the 60's)! :eek: You'd get locked up if you treated your kids like that today! o_O :D :thumbsup:

Cool pic Taylor, looks well-loved :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is doing OK in these difficult times, and that you had a passable weekend. Good luck to everyone who is starting another working week, and to everyone who is locked down too. Take care, and stay safe :thumbsup:

Sunny here today :) We're pretty much locked-down. I may go out to the dustbin, and sit out a bit later. I need to find some beer at some point, but it'll probably not be today :rolleyes: Thought I'd carry my ebony '18 for change. Here's an old pic of it helping me out ;) :thumbsup:

tZyAPWP.jpg

There's no justice in this world mate! :D :thumbsup:
Back in the 1980's, a friend of mine thought he'd go and have a look inside the Henderson's Relish factory. He said there were just a few old ladies filling up bottles from pressure-barrels! :D :thumbsup:

You mean like these chaps...? :D

Every time I go to buy any form of footwear, I have to explain that an 11 is not a 45 (it's somewhere between a 46 and a 47), and that a 46 (10 3/4) is not a 12! o_O Most of my boots are now sized 48! Half-sizes and different width fittings have all but disappeared here. Those look like an excellent pair of winter boots David, hope you have a good day my friend :) :thumbsup:

Not helped by the disinterested idiots working on commission that some outdoor shops employ. You just can't compare the service you get in say 'Outside' in Hathersage, and say 'Blacks' in Manchester.

To some extent, I do. Amazon delivery driver left the box on the door-step, I opened it there, binned the carton,

I know of plenty of folk who are 'washing their shopping' :thumbsup:

Two years ago that happened to a pair of mine while backpacking. Chunks of the midsole just started coming off. The sole of one of my companions’ boots also delaminated. By the time we finished the trip we’d run through all of our emergency duct tape and resorted to paracord to hold our boots together.

dkaXvmHh.jpg

The next year, the sole of one of my other companion’s boots failed on the trail. All three of us now have new boots. Hopefully we’ll be OK for several years. But, with all of our purchases aligned in time, perhaps we are setting ourselves up for an epic boot failure in a future trip... :eek:

That's pretty shocking isn't it. I wonder though if some manufacturers are using adhesives that cannot cope with the full range of temperature and humidity found in the all the different locations where they market their products?

Thank you, David. :)
I did it for a living years ago, it's taking a short while to get back in practice.

Always useful to have a second string to your bow. :):thumbsup:

First product of my sourdough starter: waffles!

uYT2H9Xh.jpg

Your isolation is looking a lot tastier than my isolation. :):thumbsup:

Nicely posed photo there. :thumbsup:

Nice looking pair of boots there, David! :thumbsup:

This is what my old pair of boots (purchased around 2001 and replace about 10 years ago) looked like when I finally retired them. :eek: :D

7uuwIYa.jpg

Thanks. Alt-Berg make the footwear for our armed forces and are a favourite with our emergency services.
https://www.altberg.co.uk/
I hope you got some miles out of those things before that happened. :thumbsup:

First time out in my little shed this year wood turning
Ambrosia Maple bowl .

QIirWP1.jpg

aD74MNz.jpg

7RyAi2N.jpg

Dan that's cracking work.:thumbsup: You should make aftermarket covers for lambsfoot knives. :D

My ironwood again.
VNLZgF9.jpg

Apparently it's Monday today folks. :D

You mean to say you really don't have a pipeline from the factory?? :D

The clowns aren't running the circus. The clowns are just running around the circus. There's a difference. :rolleyes::D

All the important food groups then. :thumbsup:

John that looks great; you've got some talent there sir. :thumbsup:

I think your ammos expired. :D

I'm enjoying the boot discussion at the moment. I no longer have to wear dedicated work boots but did in my formative years. I still though own a pair of steelies though for those occasional jobs but I've got to say here in the UK the quality of footwear has deteriorated in the past few years, with of course a corresponding increase in price. I pity folk these days who have to wear the poor excuse for modern work boots. Examples are Doc Martens, which now are complete rubbish, and Catepillar, though I know that those companies distribute different makes and models in different countries. Certainly in North America you appear to have a much greater range of quality work boots available. :thumbsup:
What is really annoying though is a few years ago manufacturers actually started messing round with the sizes. For 30 years I'd been a UK size 9 but about 5 years ago I found out I was a UK size 10.:confused::rolleyes:

But Jack's right about how comfortable modern walking boots are. These are my Alt-Berg Tethara, my dedicated winter walking boots. About 11 years old now I could walk miles in these straight out the box; not something I could of done with boots 20 years ago. Certainly not cheap, and I'm not looking forward to paying for their replacement :eek: but they are worth every penny.:thumbsup:
zQrVn6f.jpg

I hope everyone has a nice Sunday planned.:thumbsup:
I too have a pair of ten year old Alt-Berg Tethra and they are without doubt the best boots I have ever owned. Yorkshire made too! As a Lancastrian I have to admit that Yorkshire does make the best boots and pocket knives!

You mean like these chaps...? :D

Not helped by the disinterested idiots working on commission that some outdoor shops employ. You just can't compare the service you get in say 'Outside' in Hathersage, and say 'Blacks' in Manchester.

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Blacks are absolutely terrible these days, owned by JD Sports o_O The staff haven't got a clue have they? :rolleyes:

That's pretty shocking isn't it. I wonder though if some manufacturers are using adhesives that cannot cope with the full range of temperature and humidity found in the all the different locations where they market their products?

I don't think they care. The manufacturers probably use whatever is cheapest. I remember getting some samples from 5.10 years ago. I could see straight away they weren't going to be up to much (and I noticed the upper of one model was identical to a Nike shoe). They had a really pushy rep, and when I pointed out the poor standard of fit and finish, with glue all over the place, he smartly replied, "Well, that's your guarantee the sole has been stuck on!" :rolleyes:The soles of both pairs turned into cream cheese in record time (I forget what this process is called 'hydro' something or other)! o_O

My ironwood again.
VNLZgF9.jpg

Apparently it's Monday today folks. :D

Nice pic David :) :thumbsup:

A great post Greg! :thumbsup: A terrific looking trio of Lambs! :cool: :thumbsup: :)

Thanks, Ron!

Excellent post Greg :) I've never seen Goof Off here, I use lighter fluid for removing blade gunk. How do you find that KME system? I'd forgotten about your Tormek system, leather wheels are cool. I came across a tube of Tormek paste in my sharpening box, but I haven't used it yet. Fantastic work my friend, thanks for sharing :) :thumbsup:

A contractor left it behind after doing some work at my house several years ago. Even then, the can looked ancient. I wonder if it’s still on the market. It smells a lot like lighter fluid, so it may share some ingredients.

I really like the KME. With the optional pocketknife jaws I can get a nice low angle. Now that I have experience with both systems, I think I’ll mostly stick with the KME (or freehand) for pocket knives at the Tormek for larger knives. All knives get the stropping wheel though.

A well-deserved reward :) Looks delicious Greg :) :thumbsup:

Thanks! I was quite pleased with it. The best crust I’ve ever made from scratch. Which isn’t too brag... I have a poor track record making pizza dough. :)

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is doing OK in these difficult times, and that you had a passable weekend. Good luck to everyone who is starting another working week, and to everyone who is locked down too. Take care, and stay safe :thumbsup:

Sunny here today :) We're pretty much locked-down. I may go out to the dustbin, and sit out a bit later. I need to find some beer at some point, but it'll probably not be today :rolleyes:

For some reason you not today comment remind me of the Dread Pirate Roberts:

“Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.”

In this case the foam disintegrated. Despite my best effort to leave no trace, I probably left a bit on the trail. :(

Your isolation is looking a lot tastier than my isolation. :):thumbsup:

Fortunately our open-air farmers market is open so I braved it on Saturday and picked up produce for the week, including those strawberries.

Nice pictures, Dschal, and beautiful bowl next to a beautiful knife, CelloDan!!!

Beautiful work, Dan! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I was hoping you'd pick the Ambrosia.
That "turned" out really beautiful. :cool::thumbsup:

Wow Dan, that's amazing, well done :) Great pics too :thumbsup:

Dan that's cracking work.:thumbsup: You should make aftermarket covers for lambsfoot knives. :D

Thank you Guardians !
It felt good to de-stress for a while in my little shop :thumbsup::)
When woodturning is harder for my mind to worry or think stuff to much ... I am just there ... in the present ...watching this block of wood take shape :thumbsup:
My first time trying ambrosia and I was very pleased how the grain popped when I applied the oil .

Sourdough, of course! ;)

You know ...it's now only a matter of time before a so called cellodan will attempt sourdough :)

A classic, helping out with an instant classic. :cool::thumbsup:
Hope you have a good day, Jack.
After two weeks of not leaving the house,
I had to take a drive through town just to see some different scenery and people. :D

I like it when Guardians use everyday items as backgrounds,
but then it takes me a minute to figure out what the heck it is. :cool::thumbsup:

Back