Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

View attachment 1316679 Old boots and new knife.

Looks like you've had some long miles out of those :) :thumbsup:

A contractor left it behind after doing some work at my house several years ago. Even then, the can looked ancient. I wonder if it’s still on the market. It smells a lot like lighter fluid, so it may share some ingredients.

I really like the KME. With the optional pocketknife jaws I can get a nice low angle. Now that I have experience with both systems, I think I’ll mostly stick with the KME (or freehand) for pocket knives at the Tormek for larger knives. All knives get the stropping wheel though.

That's unusual, here they usually try and take things away with them! :rolleyes: I imagine some of the ingredients are the same :) Great to have your thoughts on the KME and Tormek systems Greg, thank you. I quite fancy a stropping wheel myself ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks! I was quite pleased with it. The best crust I’ve ever made from scratch. Which isn’t too brag... I have a poor track record making pizza dough. :)

Well done Greg, I used to make mine in the bread-maker - the one I don't currently have any flour for :rolleyes:

For some reason you not today comment remind me of the Dread Pirate Roberts:

“Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.”

:D :D :thumbsup:

Thank you Guardians !
It felt good to de-stress for a while in my little shop :thumbsup::)
When woodturning is harder for my mind to worry or think stuff to much ... I am just there ... in the present ...watching this block of wood take shape :thumbsup:
My first time trying ambrosia and I was very pleased how the grain popped when I applied the oil .

I'd imagine it is very therapeutic Dan, and you get something really special at the end of it :) :thumbsup:

A classic, helping out with an instant classic. :cool::thumbsup:
Hope you have a good day, Jack.
After two weeks of not leaving the house,
I had to take a drive through town just to see some different scenery and people. :D

I like it when Guardians use everyday items as backgrounds,
but then it takes me a minute to figure out what the heck it is. :cool::thumbsup:

Thank you very much John, I know how you feel my friend :) Can anybody figure what the background here is? ;) :thumbsup:

AZTJFtC.jpg

Good Morning Guardians

Nice John, I don't think anyone has posted a black and white image for a while :) :thumbsup:

I carry a Lambsfoot and it’s sheltered in place in Tennessee! :( I hadn’t carried this Bigun in several days. When I took it out of the roll to my surprise something that I cut the last time I used it has eaten some of my patina! :thumbsdown: I hate ugly patina! :rolleyes: I may resort to some Flitz and start completely over. Or I may get one of my grapefruit out of the fridge at some point today and get some vitamin C! :eek: Y’all please be safe out there! :thumbsup: :)

49741842628_5f2792b1f8_o_d.jpg

I carry a Lambsfoot and it’s sheltered in place in Tennessee! :( I hadn’t carried this Bigun in several days. When I took it out of the roll to my surprise something that I cut the last time I used it has eaten some of my patina! :thumbsdown: I hate ugly patina! :rolleyes: I may resort to some Flitz and start completely over. Or I may get one of my grapefruit out of the fridge at some point today and get some vitamin C! :eek: Y’all please be safe out there! :thumbsup: :)

49741842628_5f2792b1f8_o_d.jpg

I know what you mean Ron, I Flitzed this one a while back. I tend to wipe it with a bandana after using it when I'm out hiking, just to dry the blade, but it can streak existing patina, making it look like the blade has cheesy 'go faster' stripes! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

nz12SAi.jpg

Looks like beer foam run through different filters. :D

It is actually a selection of elemental maps from historic crucible steel finds in Sheffield my dear sir ;) :thumbsup:

I'm the same way, Ron.
I really LIKE a dull gray patina with black spotting/pitting. I think it looks natural.
I really HATE the black, scaly, build-up, kind of patina. I think it looks dirty and nasty.

I know what you mean Ron, I Flitzed this one a while back. I tend to wipe it with a bandana after using it when I'm out hiking, just to dry the blade, but it can streak existing patina, making it look like the blade has cheesy 'go faster' stripes! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

nz12SAi.jpg

It is actually a selection of elemental maps from historic crucible steel finds in Sheffield my dear sir ;) :thumbsup:

John and Jack, I thank you both for the comments. :thumbsup: I know patina can be a personal thing. Some like it and others don’t! The polished finish that is on some of our lambs takes a different patina than the satin blades. It appears as a multi toned bluish color versus a dull grey on the satin finish. I believe I’m going to open a can of Spam for sandwiches at lunch. I’ll use the Lambsfoot to slice it and see what happens. :rolleyes: Then I’ll make a decision! :thumbsup: :D

I'm the same way, Ron.
I really LIKE a dull gray patina with black spotting/pitting. I think it looks natural.
I really HATE the black, scaly, build-up, kind of patina. I think it looks dirty and nasty.

I too like an even grayish patina on a blade but if a knife is used for fruit or other messy things and the patina is legit, there's nothing wrong with a dark, splotchy patina such as on this Lamb used for cutting up oranges for my smoothie the other day. I'll just leave it (the patina) on and over time it'll blend in with other added patinas as time goes on.

vmDEMGg.jpg

Yes, I’m low on flour myself Jack! I’m going to go to a grocery store in the next town to see if I can find some.

Good luck Dave :) I haven't really done much shopping for a month now, so maybe I could find some if I really searched about, though they are arresting people here for making those kind of journeys (I heard of 65-year old man arrested for driving a mile to take his dog for a walk today) :eek: I'm going to go to the small supermarket up the road tomorrow, so maybe I will spot some. This is an analysis of why there has been a flour shortage in supermarkets here, maybe some it might apply to the US too? :thumbsup:

John and Jack, I thank you both for the comments. :thumbsup: I know patina can be a personal thing. Some like it and others don’t! The polished finish that is on some of our lambs takes a different patina than the satin blades. It appears as a multi toned bluish color versus a dull grey on the satin finish. I believe I’m going to open a can of Spam for sandwiches at lunch. I’ll use the Lambsfoot to slice it and see what happens. :rolleyes: Then I’ll make a decision! :thumbsup: :D

I really like it when the colours first appear on a polished carbon blade :cool: I was stropping a knife last night, and noticed it left some marks on the existing patina, which look almost like scratch marks. I hope they'll fade away after a little use :thumbsup:

Good morning, Guardians! Jelly is helping me to not fret about the current situation, but all you Knights are making me hungry!

r8m5qg5.jpg

Stay safe out there, everyone!

Very good Matt :D :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back