Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

LOL! :D I can recall when frog's legs were quite popular here in England, as an exotic pub dish. I always wanted to try them, but have never seen them on a menu in France or in the market. I think they were out of fashion when I lived there. I often heard visiting English people asking for them, but without success :) Snake was always something I fancied trying. I have to say I've got a lot more picky as I've got older! :D :thumbsup:
Maybe it's a Cajun thing. There is a good seafood restaurant here (currently only open for take-out :() called Catfish Charlie's. They have frog legs on the menu, but I've never tried them. I always get the catfish and shrimp.

Maybe it's a Cajun thing. There is a good seafood restaurant here (currently only open for take-out :() called Catfish Charlie's. They have frog legs on the menu, but I've never tried them. I always get the catfish and shrimp.

Yeah, they eat a lot of stuff down that way too don't they?! :D One of the things I enjoyed about the series Treme was seeing the passion they have for food in New Orleans :) I've never had catfish Vince, we just don't get it here, but my granddad reckoned he had eaten CAT during the depression, and, knowingly or otherwise, he wasn't alone. Rabbits are still traditionally sold with the heads still unskinned and attached, so you can see they're not felines :eek:

I've just been taking some photos of squirrels messing around in my garden. There's always at least a couple of them. If times get tough, I'll be putting my slingshot to good use! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Fbld8aK.jpg

After about 10 days of not being able to use my slingshot because of Tennis Elbow, I thought I'd give it a try tonight. I was worried that the enforced lay-off might have caused me to lose my aim, but it didn't seem too adversely affected :) I was just enjoying myself though, when the inevitable happened. I have really got a heck of a lot of use out of these light tubes, and had just been wondering how much longer they'd last :( @CrazyCanuck made them me up, and they are ideal for using with light practice ammo indoors. I was worried that I didn't have another set, and might struggle to get a replacement at the moment. Mike sent me a whole load of bands over, and I was just going through them all, and all the other bands and tubes I have, when I came across a wallet from Mike with 3 more sets in it :) Should keep me going for a while! :D Thanks Mike :) :thumbsup:

FWqhdQc.jpg

Yes, I think anyone who thinks they're going to get 'expert advice' in the vast majority of outdoor shops is as deluded as someone who thinks they're going to get expert advice on Grand Cru claret from the lass behind the till in the supermarket. If anything the lass in the supermarket will be on better wages :rolleyes:

I think that's quite right David, and probably as true of knives as anything else. Years ago, I was talking to a feller who had been the buyer for Wakefield's Army Stores in the 1970's. He told me that they used to ask Chinese manufacturers to put a full extra pound of steel in the shank of each boot, so people would pick them up, weigh them in their hand, and say 'Now that's a quality boot!" It worked too :rolleyes:

A match made in heaven! :) I came up with the idea when I was 20, based on what was in my fridge :rolleyes: My kids still have them! :D :thumbsup:

LOL! Great! I know some working class lasses who are certainly more expert in fine wines than the staff in outdoor shops are experts in outdoor gear. :D

I sort of miss the days when the weight of a boot was an indicator of it's quality, but I guess it's not dissimilar to a Roman soldier judging the quality of his marching boots on the number of it's hobnails. :D

And I've got corned beef. I've got cheese. I'm going to have to do great things with them. :):thumbsup:

Don’t worry David! I’m sure we’ll all have plenty of opportunities to photograph Spam in the coming weeks! ;) I’ve eaten Spam my entire life and we always have a couple of cans in the cabinet. It really is a good item to have on hand. Maybe now more than ever! :thumbsup: :D

Everything else will of gone. Ramen noodles. Toilet rolls. Beer. :eek: But the Spam is eternal... :D

After a busy yard day yesterday I woke up a little sore. I have my trusty blade today for another round of "honey doo's".
View attachment 1317846

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

I feel you Bill! ;) Seems to be a little rougher the older we get! :rolleyes: That is some beautiful Sambar on your Hartshead my friend! :thumbsup: :cool:

Ahhh...the joys of bachelorhood....
No honey to come up with 'doo's'.... :D

Thank you David. I am very fortunate to live in a relatively rural corner of New England. That picture was taken near the Appalachian Trail, which runs through my town for a short way. Most of the peaks are wooded, so not as dramatic as the Lake District!

Ahh the AP trail. On my wish list but I'll never do it now. I understand that's lovely country round there. Your lucky to live in such a place. :):thumbsup: And I don't know the terrain but I dare say you've probably land that exceeds the elevation of our Lake District. :thumbsup:

The moon talk reminded me of one of my favorite early shots of my first lambsfoot, the one that’ll be my pocket today.

65rte9Sh.jpg

Looking back at my photos to find this one, I saw many knives that have moved on. This one isn’t going anywhere. Ever. :)

What a great shot. :thumbsup: Much about some supermoon last night and tonight but it didn't seem to be that impressive when I looked last night.

I managed to eat a pancake and fried egg for breakfast this morning by mouth.:) I'm slowly working my way off the feeding tube.:thumbsup: Wahoo!!!

8ERe5Ty.jpg

Great news. Baby steps sir, baby steps. :thumbsup:

I've just been taking some photos of squirrels messing around in my garden. There's always at least a couple of them. If times get tough, I'll be putting my slingshot to good use! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Fbld8aK.jpg

That's missing a super-imposed crosshairs... :D

Doing my bit to support the small local independent brewers during the current fiasco.
My delivery today. :):thumbsup:
bQFbb9O.jpg

And I don't know about everyone else but recently every day seems to be ending on a familiar theme...
xqcLkqS.jpg

View attachment 1318145 Been working! Garden progress so far, some seeds in the house in the germation process. Gonna add a little more space with some field fencing on the side. Lambs foot helped slice irrigation line! It did a fantastic job.

Great work Taylor, now is a good time to start growing your own food I reckon :thumbsup: Not that there's ever a bad time! :D Nice pic :) :thumbsup:

LOL! Great! I know some working class lasses who are certainly more expert in fine wines than the staff in outdoor shops are experts in outdoor gear. :D

I sort of miss the days when the weight of a boot was an indicator of it's quality, but I guess it's not dissimilar to a Roman soldier judging the quality of his marching boots on the number of it's hobnails. :D

And I've got corned beef. I've got cheese. I'm going to have to do great things with them. :):thumbsup:

Everything else will of gone. Ramen noodles. Toilet rolls. Beer. :eek: But the Spam is eternal... :D

That's missing a super-imposed crosshairs... :D

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Doing my bit to support the small local independent brewers during the current fiasco.
bQFbb9O.jpg

And I don't know about everyone else but recently every day seems to be ending on a familiar theme...
xqcLkqS.jpg

You lucky sausage! :cool: Great pics too :) I forgot I actually KNOW some brewers, just having a parallel text conversation about beer deliveries, though it seems it's a seller's market at the moment :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

You lucky sausage! :cool: Great pics too :) I forgot I actually KNOW some brewers, just having a parallel text conversation about beer deliveries, though it seems it's a seller's market at the moment :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Grrr....:mad::mad:
It shouldn't be! These brewers are lucky to have the business. I was chatting to the guy who delivered mine today. Their 'ticking over' just about, but things will get harder for them certainly once any lock down continues into May. But in comparison to what they'd do for their on-sales it's barely enough to keep their head above the water. :(:(
The market is there; the supermarkets can't stock sufficient beer to meet demand. But these idiots running these hip n trendy breweries are going to have to pull their heads out the hole there stuck up at the moment and realize if they don't stop all this urbanite gouging profiteering rubbish they'll be bankrupt in eight weeks. :mad:

Grrr....:mad::mad:
It shouldn't be! These brewers are lucky to have the business. I was chatting to the guy who delivered mine today. Their 'ticking over' just about, but things will get harder for them certainly once any lock down continues into May. But in comparison to what they'd do for their on-sales it's barely enough to keep their head above the water. :(:(
The market is there; the supermarkets can't stock sufficient beer to meet demand. But these idiots running these hip n trendy breweries are going to have to pull their heads out the hole there stuck up at the moment and realize if they don't stop all this urbanite gouging profiteering rubbish they'll be bankrupt in eight weeks. :mad:

Yeah, some of the Leeds breweries have shut down, and I guess the larger independents will suffer. The micros (the one-man and a dog operations) should be OK in the short-term though, don't you think? Until folks run out of beer-money that is! From what I've seen online, there aren't many 'special offers' on, I paid through the nose today, and had to settle for beer I wouldn't normally have bought :( Maybe North will be glad to take some cash in a week or two! :thumbsup:

Good luck with your sourdough :) :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack, the starter seems to be coming along just fine :thumbsup:
Anxious to "maybe" show my first loaf in a few days .... depending on the results :)
That's a great set up you have there; just the sort of thing I was thinking of.
Thanks David, I just came back inside from plinking for a while.
I logged off work at 4 pm and out I went to de- stress a bit with my slingshots :thumbsup: ... It works :)

Another one teetering on the edge of the vortex, just about to get sucked in... :D

Welcome to the kitchen science fair! I hope you have as much fun with it as I have been.

Thanks Greg ... I've seen what you can do :thumbsup: ... we'll see how mine turns out in a few days :)

After a busy yard day yesterday I woke up a little sore. I have my trusty blade today for another round of "honey doo's".
View attachment 1317846

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

Beautiful Hartshead Bill :thumbsup:.... I know you got a few compliments already but I had to add mine :thumbsup::)

Good Morning Guardians
Still on Spring Break, so I plan to spend a few hours in the shop today... My Happy Place :)

Lambsfoot in your pocket + being in your shop = Happiness :)

I managed to eat a pancake and fried egg for breakfast this morning by mouth.:) I'm slowly working my way off the feeding tube.:thumbsup: Wahoo!!!

8ERe5Ty.jpg
Great milestone on your recovery road Ed :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fbld8aK.jpg

JACK !!! Your are supposed to "talk" to them, then take pics of your Hartshead with them.
Have you not learned anything from me since I joined the Guardians ? :D

Howdy Guardians.
Recycled pic today ( some of the nice trails are closed now, they are still allowing walking outside close to your house on the ones that are open as long as you keep plenty of distance from other people you may encounter ) We are lucky to have a trail withing walking distance of home that hardly anyone ever uses.

axNj6g6.jpg

fPpjeR9s.jpg

Yeah, some of the Leeds breweries have shut down, and I guess the larger independents will suffer. The micros (the one-man and a dog operations) should be OK in the short-term though, don't you think? Until folks run out of beer-money that is! From what I've seen online, there aren't many 'special offers' on, I paid through the nose today, and had to settle for beer I wouldn't normally have bought :( Maybe North will be glad to take some cash in a week or two! :thumbsup:

It depends. I went with 4T not only as there one of the few breweries delivering to where I live but more specifically because they don't have a large supermarket contract. 'Coach House' are also based in Warrington but have a huge contract with Morrisons in the north west so don't need my help.
Some breweries have shut in the north west (eg, Bank Top in Bolton) but like we mentioned the other day I believe that's to ensure they preserve their yeast strains.
I don't think people will run out of beer money for off-sales but that could be a different matter for on-sales given the already exorbitant cost of pub beer as it is.
Have you tried Sam Smiths? There only in Tadcaster. I'd be surprised to learn Humphrey hasn't sorted something for home delivery. :D

Silver lining! :)

Well, for the breweries! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack, the starter seems to be coming along just fine :thumbsup:
Anxious to "maybe" show my first loaf in a few days .... depending on the results :)

Thanks David, I just came back inside from plinking for a while.
I logged off work at 4 pm and out I went to de- stress a bit with my slingshots :thumbsup: ... It works :)

JACK !!! Your are supposed to "talk" to them, then take pics of your Hartshead with them.
Have you not learned anything from me since I joined the Guardians ? :D

Howdy Guardians.
Recycled pic today ( some of the nice trails are closed now, they are still allowing walking outside close to your house on the ones that are open as long as you keep plenty of distance from other people you may encounter ) We are lucky to have a trail withing walking distance of home that hardly anyone ever uses.

axNj6g6.jpg

fPpjeR9s.jpg

That's good Dan, I hope it all goes well :) I do enjoy firing a slingshot, with things being so quiet here at the moment, maybe I could get away with it in my back garden, though I do have nosey neighbours o_O

LOL! I wouldn't trust the squirrels not to run off with my Lambsfoot Dan! :eek: I once nailed a bird-feeder to the tree, went back inside, looked out of the window, and it was on the floor. When I went to investigate, I saw that, not only had the squirrels ragged it off the tree, and looted it, within a couple of minutes, but they'd taken a great chunk out of the wooden feeder! :eek: o_O That pic was taken from a first-floor window! :thumbsup:

Wonderful photo my multi-talented friend :) :thumbsup:

It depends. I went with 4T not only as there one of the few breweries delivering to where I live but more specifically because they don't have a large supermarket contract. 'Coach House' are also based in Warrington but have a huge contract with Morrisons in the north west so don't need my help.
Some breweries have shut in the north west (eg, Bank Top in Bolton) but like we mentioned the other day I believe that's to ensure they preserve their yeast strains.
I don't think people will run out of beer money for off-sales but that could be a different matter for on-sales given the already exorbitant cost of pub beer as it is.
Have you tried Sam Smiths? There only in Tadcaster. I'd be surprised to learn Humphrey hasn't sorted something for home delivery. :D

I looked at Meanwood, but they have closed, as I think have Kirkstall. Maybe I'll do some more investigating tomorrow :thumbsup:

I haven't looked at Sam Smith's, they can't even manage to keep their own brewery tap stocked most of the time, or even open for that matter, but you never know. Mind you, Humphrey might want to come into my house to check that I don't have any modern appliances - like a gramophone for example, and test my vocabulary for unlicensed saltiness! :rolleyes:

Ahhh...the joys of bachelorhood....
No honey to come up with 'doo's'.... :D

bQFbb9O.jpg

xqcLkqS.jpg
David I believe you’re going to be okay! :thumbsup: You’ve got beer, cheese, corned beef and a good sharp Lambsfoot. :) Now all you need is a honey to give you some “doos” and you will be set! ;) :rolleyes:

Back