Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

id have to say likely 70/30. out of all my lamb foots, only 2/3 of em came straight framed which means I have to be careful before making any further purchases. at the end of the day, its not a huge deal. but for example id buy another in the snakewood because that came straight frame and id like another as a user.

Despite the Snakewood, that's probably the Lambsfoot I like least I think, it's practically round. It's a very fancy knife for a user though :)

AW Snakewood Lambsfoot 1-9.JPG

Something I was thinking about today was a shadow pattern Lambsfoot, lignum vitae covers, Bird's Eye pivot, straight frame, mmmm....:rolleyes: :cool: :D :thumbsup:

Despite the Snakewood, that's probably the Lambsfoot I like least I think, it's practically round. It's a very fancy knife for a user though :)

View attachment 829779

Something I was thinking about today was a shadow pattern Lambsfoot, lignum vitae covers, Bird's Eye pivot, straight frame, mmmm....:rolleyes: :cool: :D :thumbsup:

but that blade shape? i remember writing in to the dealer and got a very poor reason of why the ones i purchased dont have the usual lambsfoot appearance. neat choices!!! I have a list of the remaining handles scales that I plan to purchase eventually, mainly exotic woods and some of the common ones. hopefully they get it all in straight frame. :):rolleyes::eek:

but that blade shape? i remember writing in to the dealer and got a very poor reason of why the ones i purchased dont have the usual lambsfoot appearance. neat choices!!! I have a list of the remaining handles scales that I plan to purchase eventually, mainly exotic woods and some of the common ones. hopefully they get it all in straight frame. :):rolleyes::eek:

LOL! Well you wouldn't get much sense out of that feller mate! :D PM me if there's anything particular you're after :thumbsup:

Hmmm, that is an interesting concept... Could fit very well in GEC's Farm & Field line, again using the #47 frame, with that alluring sway...

ngyrOhv.jpg

You are going to have quite a considerable collection when all is said and done. Are you focusing solely on Wright's? Or are/will you be looking at collecting from other makers as well?

Hmmm, that is an interesting concept... Could fit very well in GEC's Farm & Field line, again using the #47 frame, with that alluring sway...

ngyrOhv.jpg

You are going to have quite a considerable collection when all is said and done. Are you focusing solely on Wright's? Or are/will you be looking at collecting from other makers as well?

Well it was just a thought :) :D :thumbsup:

LOL! Well you wouldn't get much sense out of that feller mate! :D PM me if there's anything particular you're after :thumbsup:

Much obliged Jack, will do pal!

ngyrOhv.jpg

It doesn't have to be wrights, mainly interested in 6.25 inch lambsfoot in all ranges of materials. I don't even use them, they are just neat to me in the case. I do purchase extras for the occasional giveaway and what not. But maybe if the next snakewood comes straight back with the proper blade itll go wright in the pocket/edc box. ;)

LOL! He's a dark one for sure! ;) :D :thumbsup:

I reckon there'll be a day when we can sway him over ;) :thumbsup:

You must trust your feelings! Give in! Do it!

Z0mpTcf.jpg

Last edited:
I think the 47 frame would make it closer to the current "big un" offering from Wright's, which (who am I kidding) is something i'd be very interested in, but i would really like to see a smaller, more pocketable sway back akin to the standard lambsfoot size for EDC.

Of course, I'm just sitting in the peanut gallery waiting for the show to start regardless. :D

I think the 47 frame would make it closer to the current "big un" offering from Wright's, which (who am I kidding) is something i'd be very interested in, but i would really like to see a smaller, more pocketable sway back akin to the standard lambsfoot size for EDC.

Of course, I'm just sitting in the peanut gallery waiting for the show to start regardless. :D

While I think the GEC 47 would/will make a great Lambsfoot frame, I was really thinking along the lines of Wright Medium-sized frame. Really just thinking aloud in any case, I've got a few more ideas before that ;) :) :thumbsup:

The 47 frame varies a tad bit, with the F&F line and the Harvesters running at 3 7/8" closed and the Vipers at 3 3/4" closed.

I do agree though, the medium size (roughly 3 1/2" closed) would be the ideal size. I am unaware of another swayback frame that GEC utilizes, maybe it is time for them to make another!

The appeal of the straight frame to me, having only handled swaybacks, is mostly aesthetic. It reminds of the GEC 15 frame. However the GEC 15's with sheepsfoot blades leave a lot of exposed blade when closed. The straight A. Wright lambsfoots (lambsfeet?) seem to have a little cleaner appearance when closed. All of this still aesthetic, of course.

The appeal of the straight frame to me, having only handled swaybacks, is mostly aesthetic. It reminds of the GEC 15 frame. However the GEC 15's with sheepsfoot blades leave a lot of exposed blade when closed. The straight A. Wright lambsfoots (lambsfeet?) seem to have a little cleaner appearance when closed. All of this still aesthetic, of course.

Charlie's 'Ancient' Barlow blade sat pretty low in the #15 frame, possibly even lower than the Wright Lambsfoot in their straight frame :) :thumbsup:

Ancient 8-3S.jpg

Thanks Dylan, Wright's seem to be able to do wood and horn really well I think :) I wish their bone wasn't so pedestrian :( :thumbsup:

I can't say that I am fond of their bone either and I've only seen them in pictures.

I wouldn't mind seeing them produce something in walnut again, I think it is a highly underrated wood these days and certainly speaks volumes to the utility of the Lambsfoot pattern itself, making it a wonderful pairing.

Back