Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

LUowFgf.jpg

Had my Guardians lambsfoot with me today. Since work has slowed down I had time to start the bathroom remodel. 8 hours later tiles are laid grouting tomorrow.

I have had a A Wright Lambfoot Buffalo-31B for a while and for the life of me I can not get an edge as slicey as any of my GECs , but I have come to realise that if I cast my mind back to when I was a little lad and used my poorly sharpened pocket knife for all sorts of things that came up in my daily getting on with life, this comfortable in the hand sturdy Sheffield built tool is pretty near perfect for tackling those tasks that I would rather not use my rather more expensive USA made knives for, after all does it really matter that it wont slice newspaper or shave hair. I believe my new knife is what a pocket knife should be , as I think the kids say "it is down and dirty" and gets the job done.

LUowFgf.jpg

Had my Guardians lambsfoot with me today. Since work has slowed down I had time to start the bathroom remodel. 8 hours later tiles are laid grouting tomorrow.

Work never seem to stop for you lately Kevin! :eek: ;) I remember the days, when my family were young, and I'd often have to come home from work and start decorating, or laying carpet, or plumbing in a washing-machine, or whatever o_O I certainly wouldn't have the energy for it now! :rolleyes: Nice work my friend, and it's always good to see your Lambsfoot :thumbsup:

This Stag Big’un shared the pocket with a Red Bone today! :D

38663844755_d32c76abfa_b_d.jpg

Looking good Ron :thumbsup:

I have had a A Wright Lambfoot Buffalo-31B for a while and for the life of me I can not get an edge as slicey as any of my GECs , but I have come to realise that if I cast my mind back to when I was a little lad and used my poorly sharpened pocket knife for all sorts of things that came up in my daily getting on with life, this comfortable in the hand sturdy Sheffield built tool is pretty near perfect for tackling those tasks that I would rather not use my rather more expensive USA made knives for, after all does it really matter that it wont slice newspaper or shave hair. I believe my new knife is what a pocket knife should be , as I think the kids say "it is down and dirty" and gets the job done.

Fair point :thumbsup: I was talking about edges with ScruffUK a couple of years back, and how I was struggling to get a particular knife hair-popping sharp. He made a rather sensible point along the lines that it perhaps did not need to be quite that sharp. It was a bit of an epiphany for me to be honest, though I still occasionally back-slide! :rolleyes: I do think a knife should be up to the job of slicing newspaper though, and with some work, of being sharper still. Have you thought of thinning out the edge a little, sometimes the blades can be a little 'fat' I think? I've been pretty lucky with Wright's knives myself, and haven't had to put a great deal of work in at all :thumbsup:

AWSFO 13-9.JPG

Jack I do believe you are trying to make me feel bad :D I use mostly a Sharpmaker , fine grit ceramic stone and strop, I also have an assortment of stones of different grits but to be honest I am not the best of sharpeners , if I push the point through a page of newspaper it will continue to cut although not with that satisfying hiss that a truly sharp blade will make, I guess I am going to have to put more work into the heel of the blade to get it to catch. I have seen the sort of edge the WickedEdge setup will produce, but they are a bit to pricey for me. Perhaps I should go on YouTube to find a good how to video and study it carefully.

Jack I do believe you are trying to make me feel bad :D I use mostly a Sharpmaker , fine grit ceramic stone and strop, I also have an assortment of stones of different grits but to be honest I am not the best of sharpeners , if I push the point through a page of newspaper it will continue to cut although not with that satisfying hiss that a truly sharp blade will make, I guess I am going to have to put more work into the heel of the blade to get it to catch. I have seen the sort of edge the WickedEdge setup will produce, but they are a bit to pricey for me. Perhaps I should go on YouTube to find a good how to video and study it carefully.

LOL! :D Not at all my friend, I'm a VERY pedestrian sharpener :) Check out the new index to this thread though, there have been some great sharpening posts here, and specific to Wright's Lambsfoot knives :thumbsup:

Still have this one with me today. Happy Tuesday, Guardians!

IG1hHql.jpg

Beautiful Dylan, you take a great pic :thumbsup:

That may not be perfect Jack , but it looks pretty nice to me . What is the Closed Length and Overall Length of it ???

Thanks Harry :) That one is one of only four knives in my fire-safe (the other 1000+ won't fit! :D), but I think it's the same size as the Sheepsfoot Stan made for me, which I have right here :) That measures 4 1/4", 7 1/2" overall. The overall length of the Lambsfoot might be just a bit more :thumbsup:

I went over to see @ADEE today, in the neighbouring West Yorkshire town of Huddersfield. It's been bitterly cold, and when it wasn't raining, it was snowing. Absolutely rotten! :rolleyes: I was glad I had a hot cup of coffee on my way to the train station in Leeds :thumbsup:

A.Wright Straight Sambar Lambsfoot 8-1.JPG

As I already have a Lambsfoot 31B I have just gone ahead and ordered a Buffalo Lambfoot blade pocket knife with pruner handle, it says on their sales page that it is a variant of the standard lambfoot pattern pocket knife but is slimmer than the standard model and is less bulky to carry in the pocket. As it does not appear to have a designation number like for instance the 31B I have not been able to spot a picture or size and weight specs. By the way I have got the 31B to paper cutting but not yet hair popping, it has been a busy late afternoon.:)

As I already have a Lambsfoot 31B I have just gone ahead and ordered a Buffalo Lambfoot blade pocket knife with pruner handle, it says on their sales page that it is a variant of the standard lambfoot pattern pocket knife but is slimmer than the standard model and is less bulky to carry in the pocket. As it does not appear to have a designation number like for instance the 31B I have not been able to spot a picture or size and weight specs. By the way I have got the 31B to paper cutting but not yet hair popping, it has been a busy late afternoon.:)

Nice work on that blade :) I do find the designations/descriptions of Wright's knives confusing, they seem to do so many Lambsfoot knives with similar pattern numbers! :eek: I probably need to concentrate more! :D Hope you get a nice one :) :thumbsup:

Looking good Ron :thumbsup:

Fair point :thumbsup: I was talking about edges with ScruffUK a couple of years back, and how I was struggling to get a particular knife hair-popping sharp. He made a rather sensible point along the lines that it perhaps did not need to be quite that sharp. It was a bit of an epiphany for me to be honest, though I still occasionally back-slide! :rolleyes: I do think a knife should be up to the job of slicing newspaper though, and with some work, of being sharper still. Have you thought of thinning out the edge a little, sometimes the blades can be a little 'fat' I think? I've been pretty lucky with Wright's knives myself, and haven't had to put a great deal of work in at all :thumbsup:

awsfo-13-9-jpg.830290
Thanks for the compliment Jack! :) I would think that one plenty sharp my friend! :eek:

View attachment 830703
As I already have a Lambsfoot 31B I have just gone ahead and ordered a Buffalo Lambfoot blade pocket knife with pruner handle.....By the way I have got the 31B to paper cutting but not yet hair popping, it has been a busy late afternoon.:)

Oldmanrunning,

First, let me say that you will love the version with the pruner handle. That’s what I have, and it feels great in the hand. It also fits well in the pocket and makes the knife look a lot better To my eye.

Second, my knife was also too thick behind the edge and would not slice paper either. I have a Lansky system and used my coarsest stone at a 15 degree angle on each side to thin as much of the blade as I could, then I used the two progressively smoother stones I have to polish it up. Then I did the same thing at 20 degrees on each side to finish off the edge. Now the knife slices paper like it should. It is not as smooth as my other knives, but it is sufficient and no longer irritates me.

I agree that we should not be obsessed with razor sharpness, but I cannot abide by a knife that will not cleanly slice though a piece of paper. My knife would not until I thinned it behind the edge.

The Lansky system is the least expensive and fool proof sharpening kit you can buy. I know there are many better systems, but they cost much more. Believe me, if I can use it successfully, anyone can. I do not think a Sharpmaker or Lansky Turnbox would be coarse enough to do the job.

Leslie, thank you for the information , I have just had a look at the Lansky standard system on Ebay and it looks like I could snag one for about the equivalent of $55, I think I can swing that and after watching a how to video on YouTube probably I can manage to use it.

Thanks for the compliment Jack! :) I would think that one plenty sharp my friend! :eek:

Thanks pal, it does the job :)

View attachment 830703

Oldmanrunning,

First, let me say that you will love the version with the pruner handle. That’s what I have, and it feels great in the hand. It also fits well in the pocket and makes the knife look a lot better To my eye.

Second, my knife was also too thick behind the edge and would not slice paper either. I have a Lansky system and used my coarsest stone at a 15 degree angle on each side to thin as much of the blade as I could, then I used the two progressively smoother stones I have to polish it up. Then I did the same thing at 20 degrees on each side to finish off the edge. Now the knife slices paper like it should. It is not as smooth as my other knives, but it is sufficient and no longer irritates me.

I agree that we should not be obsessed with razor sharpness, but I cannot abide by a knife that will not cleanly slice though a piece of paper. My knife would not until I thinned it behind the edge.

The Lansky system is the least expensive and fool proof sharpening kit you can buy. I know there are many better systems, but they cost much more. Believe me, if I can use it successfully, anyone can. I do not think a Sharpmaker or Lansky Turnbox would be coarse enough to do the job.

Excellent photo and post my friend :thumsup: Yes, I think that's the least you should be able to expect from a knife :thumbsup: I try not to be too obsessive, and think I'm reasonably laid back these days, but a blunt knife would drive me crazy! o_O :D In terms of the Sharpmaker, without the coarse diamond rods, re-profiling a blade would take a heck of a long time I think :thumbsup:

Cold and miserable here :( Cheering myself up with some pocket candy ;) :D :thumbsup:

AWSFO 17-8.JPG

Back