Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Yabby Dabby Doo good morning to you Guardians and anyone else looking in..

J65137J.jpg

Good morning Guardians! How about some Rosewood for Wednesday! :) :thumbsup:

49753119882_e2b3c5f2b7_o_d.jpg

Nice to see one of us knows what day it is Ron! :D :thumbsup:

Going with ebony on a fine Wooden Wednesday. Hope all have a great day!
e6Zj2ya.jpg

Some nice patina forming there :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, hope everyone is well.

ySDkO5V.jpg

Gorgeous knife Rob :cool: :thumbsup:

Yes!
Apparently the kid that used to live in my house would shoot out the lights on her barn.
But she's kind of a crazy woman, so who knows if it's true or not. I just try to be a good neighbor.

I wonder why he'd do that?! :rolleyes: ;) :D :thumbsup:

That's what we call English Muffins (I think). :D

Really, I thought THIS was what you called English Muffins?! :D :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
I carry a Lambsfoot...

So I'm always prepared for Wooden Wednesday... and possibly even Black Friday. :D

:D :thumbsup:

How about you?

I know that many people here favor the lambsfoot because it has the greatest overlap of strength and finesse out of the straight edged blade patterns. Theoretically that might be true, but it's a non-issue for me. I've never broken the tip of a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe. Ironically the only knife I've tipped is a lambsfoot. o_O

I like the sheepsfoot the least. Yes, it's the longest lasting with that wide blade. But I've never yet managed to wear out a knife, and I don't foresee ever doing so. I'd rather have a knife with a more useful point. The wharncliffe is my favorite. The aesthetics of its sinuous curves appeal to me. The lambsfoot falls somewhere in between the two.

48317401377_4f067d0084_c.jpg

Still, despite my preference for wharncliffes, the straight edged knife I favor the most out of the ones I own is the #93 WCLF. It's a knife that just screams traditional. Not a slipjoint, but "TRADITIONAL!" Uncommon jigged bone covers, fluted steel bolsters, and made with an attention to detail that is very hard to find these days. It's a piece evocative of the fine craftsmanship of older knives.

49915913293_7099bbff82_c.jpg

I guess for me it's all about the knife. I don't really favor one pattern above all others, but rather judge each knife and the totality of its details on a case-by-case basis.

I went for a walk in and around some local woods, walked about 6 miles in all. Beautiful day, but I'm looking forward to when it's open-season on joggers o_O The area starts just up the road from me, but entering it is like going into a time warp, suddenly you appear to be in the middle of nowhere, with narrow winding roads sided by high stone walls, and grand old mansions. I once drove through it, at night, with a friend who was visiting Leeds, and it freaked him out so much that he did a U-turn and headed back where we'd come from! :D

JTWKzSS.jpg

cBKSImm.jpg

ZN8bEZM.jpg

VU8Wn1P.jpg

dfoLO8y.jpg

7oNlFoa.jpg

anXd9TB.jpg

2ZEUafN.jpg

Saw another of these wee libraries :)

8dDcuAP.jpg

I know that many people here favor the lambsfoot because it has the greatest overlap of strength and finesse out of the straight edged blade patterns. Theoretically that might be true, but it's a non-issue for me. I've never broken the tip of a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe. Ironically the only knife I've tipped is a lambsfoot. o_O

I like the sheepsfoot the least. Yes, it's the longest lasting with that wide blade. But I've never yet managed to wear out a knife, and I don't foresee ever doing so. I'd rather have a knife with a more useful point. The wharncliffe is my favorite. The aesthetics of its sinuous curves appeal to me. The lambsfoot falls somewhere in between the two.

48317401377_4f067d0084_c.jpg

Still, despite my preference for wharncliffes, the straight edged knife I favor the most out of the ones I own is the #93 WCLF. It's a knife that just screams traditional. Not a slipjoint, but "TRADITIONAL!" Uncommon jigged bone covers, fluted steel bolsters, and made with an attention to detail that is very hard to find these days. It's a piece evocative of the fine craftsmanship of older knives.

49915913293_7099bbff82_c.jpg

I guess for me it's all about the knife. I don't really favor one pattern above all others, but rather judge each knife and the totality of its details on a case-by-case basis.

Weren't there some rather special circumstances to you breaking the tip of that Lambsfoot though Christian? It's a fair point you make though, you're not careless with your knives, so the strength of the tip is much less of an issue than it might be otherwise. I once broke the tip on a very heavy Joseph Rodgers Sheepsfoot (a British Navy Knife), but that was because I dropped it, and the tip of that very heavy knife hit a rock. That's a nice custom Wharncliffe, better made than most I would think. I've seen plenty of Wharncliffes with broken points, and I have to say there are plenty of things I routinely do with my Lambsfoot, I wouldn't feel confident about doing with a Wharncliffe, not the ones I have anyway. Great-looking WCLF, and it's easy to see why you like it so much :thumbsup:

Yep, it’s Wednesday! :thumbsup: Those look like what I buy as English Muffins! ;) But what does an old Tennessee boy know! :eek: :D

I think they're still just called muffins here, but they're much less common than when I was a boy, and in fact less common than the American-style muffins, which perhaps rather confusingly, are also just called muffins here :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Weren't there some rather special circumstances to you breaking the tip of that Lambsfoot though Christian? It's a fair point you make though, you're not careless with your knives, so the strength of the tip is much less of an issue than it might be otherwise. I once broke the tip on a very heavy Joseph Rodgers Sheepsfoot (a British Navy Knife), but that was because I dropped it, and the tip of that very heavy knife hit a rock. That's a nice custom Wharncliffe, better made than most I would think. I've seen plenty of Wharncliffes with broken points, and I have to say there are plenty of things I routinely do with my Lambsfoot, I wouldn't feel confident about doing with a Wharncliffe, not the ones I have anyway. Great-looking WCLF, and it's easy to see why you like it so much :thumbsup:

I never figured out what happened to that lambsfoot Jack. I don't remember doing anything abusive with it, certainly not anything that would have damaged the tip. It was probably just weakened steel from the initial factory sharpening that simply broke off. It'll sharpen out in time.

Now that I've thought about it more, I don't know if I can honestly say that I prefer wharncliffes. There are plenty of wharncliffe knives I have no interest in owning. Not to mention the fact that I deeply regret not picking up a cocobolo ramsfoot. And I'd love to find an stag covered Admiralty pattern 301. As mentioned above specific knives call to me, general patterns not so much.

I never figured out what happened to that lambsfoot Jack. I don't remember doing anything abusive with it, certainly not anything that would have damaged the tip. It was probably just weakened steel from the initial factory sharpening that simply broke off. It'll sharpen out in time.

Now that I've thought about it more, I don't know if I can honestly say that I prefer wharncliffes. There are plenty of wharncliffe knives I have no interest in owning. Not to mention the fact that I deeply regret not picking up a cocobolo ramsfoot. And I'd love to find an stag covered Admiralty pattern 301. As mentioned above specific knives call to me, general patterns not so much.

Sorry Christian, I thought you'd said that you might have thinned it out too much. Steel/HT/manufact ure/QC are not always perfect of course, with any pattern :thumbsup:

Those other knives you regret buying are ones to discuss elsewhere :thumbsup:

Sorry Christian, I thought you'd said that you might have thinned it out too much.

Here's what I was thinking of :thumbsup:

I've broken the tip on my small Wright's Jack. It's miniscule, most people would not notice if they took a look at the knife, the edge was straight as a ruler from choil to point and it's not anymore. I don't know how it happened, but it did.

Of course I reprofiled the blade, taking it very close to flat to the stone. The damage probably would not have happened if I kept the edge angle as it came from the factory.

I got the small swaybacked version.

No pic. It's a non-issue really. Even with the (very) minor damage, my Wright's is still pointier than it came from the factory. It's pointier than my waynorth. If I handed this knife to someone who hadn't thoroughly examined it before, there's little chance any damage would be noted.

Just imbibing the first of my Sam Smith's big box :) British-brewed lager is something I generally avoid, but if you like lager-style beers, I think Smith's brew a decent example, and from quality ingredients. I've usually only had it if I'm at a venue that has run out of proper beer, but it's going down OK :D ;) :thumbsup:

e2GZAdy.jpg

I went for a walk in and around some local woods, walked about 6 miles in all. Beautiful day, but I'm looking forward to when it's open-season on joggers o_O The area starts just up the road from me, but entering it is like going into a time warp, suddenly you appear to be in the middle of nowhere, with narrow winding roads sided by high stone walls, and grand old mansions. I once drove through it, at night, with a friend who was visiting Leeds, and it freaked him out so much that he did a U-turn and headed back where we'd come from! :D

JTWKzSS.jpg

cBKSImm.jpg

ZN8bEZM.jpg

VU8Wn1P.jpg

dfoLO8y.jpg

7oNlFoa.jpg

anXd9TB.jpg

2ZEUafN.jpg

Saw another of these wee libraries :)

8dDcuAP.jpg
Jack sounds like you had a great walk, my granddaughter also came across one of these Tiny Libraries on our walk last night when we were going to put some non-perishable food item in a Blessing Box. the Blessing Box was the same size as the tiny library and it is for any one in need. My Granddaughter has the biggest heart of anyone I know.

Here's what I was thinking of :thumbsup:

Good memory. The thing is, I've given the same treatment to other knives without any ill effects. And that small lambsfoot hasn't endured any further damage. I think that it was a heat treat issue as you indicated. Looks like I'm past the crumbly/crummy steel and am now into the good stuff.

Jack sounds like you had a great walk, my granddaughter also came across one of these Tiny Libraries on our walk last night when we were going to put some non-perishable food item in a Blessing Box. the Blessing Box was the same size as the tiny library and it is for any one in need. My Granddaughter has the biggest heart of anyone I know.

It's been a lovely day here Chuck, I'm just thinking of going out to the garden for a bit, while it is still nice :) Oh, we have one of those on my street too, it's quite big, and people leave books, DVDs, clothing, anything they want to pass on really. There's also a foodstuffs section, including a small part for things like fruit and vegetables, sometimes people leave stuff they've grown in their gardens. It's a nice idea. Your Granddaughter sounds wonderful Chuck :) :thumbsup:

Back