Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

American bacon is what you’d call streaky bacon. Your bacon would (I think) be called “back bacon” over here, but to be honest, you can’t really find it anywhere. (Which is a shame, because it’s good! I ate my fair share of bacon butties when we visited England.) :D

I didn’t know about suspenders, but I do now! :eek: :D

We’re doing ok. Scout sleeps a lot… right up until about 1 am, when she apparently wants to be awake and angry for several hours. :confused:

I’ve always been interested in this sort of thing, too. (Maybe y’all remember the Dialect Quiz from the Lounge a while back? :D) I’d never heard of a meat raffle or pull-tabs before we moved to Minnesota (both things that usually take place in a bar, coincidentally).

Very interesting Barrett, Here we have various kinds, but mainly 'streaky', 'middle', and 'back bacon'. My favourite is smoked back bacon, but it's all good if it's cooked properly (growing up, my mother was a TERRIBLE cook) :thumbsup: I know some will recoil in horror, but I actually lost my taste for bacon when I got into my 40's :eek: :D

Your brother probably thought it'd be more fun not to tell you! :D I was running a bar at the Glastonbury Festival one time, and these three drunken guys came over to get some drinks. I was handing them over, and I said to one of them, "You might want to tell your mate, he's got a baked bean stuck on the side of his face." The bloke roared with laughter, and said, "I know, it's been there all day!!" :eek: :D

Hope Scout settles down buddy :) :thumbsup:

I did think about posting a link to the Dialect Quiz! :D It's excellent! :cool: We have both meat raffles and pull-tabs here too! :D :thumbsup:

Oh, I checked out the muffins in the supermarket, they're now 'Toasting Muffins'! :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

Now I have to know... What's wrong with suspender?
I don't wear them, never have, but my curiosity is getting the better of me.

I have nothing against braces, wear them sometimes, not inclined to wear suspenders! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Ln7gvV9.jpg

Edit - There was a reason for me wearing those to my pal's wedding reception. The darn tailor cut my waistcoat (vest) 2" too short, and as I only got it 2 days before the wedding, my solution was to buy trousers (pants) too large for me, and wear 'braces', so the trousers rose up! :D :thumbsup:

ZFYpgLl.jpg

OLwCTQN.jpg

Last edited:
That's some yard you have to work there. :eek::D
It's not my yard David, although at one time it was privately owned. That's where I monitor birds for the non-profit that now owns it. The bird we are watching is the Bobolink, which winters in the Amazon and breeds here in the summer. We make sure the babies have fledged before that field is mowed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobolink

Last edited:
Nice Ron :) I only got a few things from the supermarket in the end, just some fresh fruit and veg, and an apple pie, I spent well under £10. I have only been in that store first-thing in the morning before, but by the time my delivery arrived, it was about 1.30pm, and a lot of the trust-fund brats who live round there had clearly just managed to drag themselves out of bed o_O You could barely move in there for all the vain 20-something 'men', wandering about using their phones to check their Facebook profiles or 'tweet', not looking where they're going because they're only interested in looking at their own reflections in the glass of the freezer cabinet, or not being able to see because they're wearing shades or can't see past their blond-highlighted fringe (bangs), and dressed like they're headed to the beach o_O I hope Pam fared better ;) Wright's promised the same ebony for the 2018 Guardians knives, but even though that stuff was nice, it wasn't what was promised :(
Thanks Jack! We actually had a good shopping trip. :) It sounds like you had entertainment included with your shopping! And with no charge! :eek: :rolleyes:

Great catch Ron, your certainly having some luck with your acquisitions. :thumbsup:

Just some shots on a local walk the other day which was meant to help my back pain but actually made it a lot worse. :rolleyes:
qMN8JA7.jpg

sjxcQBW.jpg

QP0j5rd.jpg

Great shots everyone! I hope everyone's having a good week. :thumbsup:
Thanks David! I’ve been fortunate to pick up a couple of nice lambs lately! :thumbsup: Thanks for the photos, but I’m sorry to hear about your back! Hope it improves soon! :) :thumbsup:

The Ebony Lambsfoot did a fine job! :thumbsup: We’ve certainly been ordering a lot online that we’d usually just run to the store to pick up.
I know exactly what you mean! I just saw on the news this evening where Amazon, Target, Walmart and a few others had staggering increases in sales! :rolleyes:

Sourdough baking journey's end for today :)
Just cut into a still warm loaf and I am very happy how they turned out.

I carry lambsfoot knives to guard my loaves lol

4BMJbNy.jpg

zTCY217.jpg
Great looking loafs. Bread making was not in the cards for me unfortunately....

Hello!

By happenstance I have had my eye on a lambsfoot knife for sometime. I finally found this thread about a 2 years ago. Thanks for always posting your pictures of exquisite lambsfeet(?)!

Anyway, I am about to l make the plunge and get one (about time!) and I had a final quick question for you lambsfoot folk:

1) Do these typically come equipped with a half stop?

I appreciate the info and help! Thank you in advance:)

(ps. I have two sitting in my cart: Both just basic A. Wright & sons - carbon, rosewood. I am still deciding whether I want the 7cm vs 8cm blade length... any thoughts one way or the other? Wife says I can only have one... :/ )

I carry a lambsfoot...

WemZIbkh.jpg

... because cauliflower doesn't grow in bite-sized pieces.

How 'bout you?

Indispensable Greg ;) :thumbsup:

Sourdough baking journey's end for today :)
Just cut into a still warm loaf and I am very happy how they turned out.

I carry lambsfoot knives to guard my loaves lol

4BMJbNy.jpg

zTCY217.jpg

Well done Dan, those look absolutely fantastic, great pics :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! We actually had a good shopping trip. :) It sounds like you had entertainment included with your shopping! And with no charge! :eek: :rolleyes:

That's good to hear Ron :) Yeah, I'll be sure to get up there early next time, and avoid it! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Hello!

By happenstance I have had my eye on a lambsfoot knife for sometime. I finally found this thread about a 2 years ago. Thanks for always posting your pictures of exquisite lambsfeet(?)!

Anyway, I am about to l make the plunge and get one (about time!) and I had a final quick question for you lambsfoot folk:

1) Do these typically come equipped with a half stop?

I appreciate the info and help! Thank you in advance:)

(ps. I have two sitting in my cart: Both just basic A. Wright & sons - carbon, rosewood. I am still deciding whether I want the 7cm vs 8cm blade length... any thoughts one way or the other? Wife says I can only have one... :/ )

Hi Pinktoe, dive on in! :D None of Wright's Lambsfoot knives come with a half-stop. Some vintage models do, and the Waynorth Cutlery Lambsfoot knives too. I think your vendor needs to get a new tape measure! :D The blade on Wright's standard model I make as 6.5cm, just under 7.5cm for the Big 'Un. I guess the dealer is measuring the whole blade from bolster to point, rather than the edge (from the front of the tang to the point). The Big 'Un makes a great knife, but most of the ones you'll see here are the shorter size. Hope you get a good one, look forward to seeing more of you here :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is doing OK. The arrival of Friday doesn't seem to have the same zing as it once did, but still it's here, and with it another weekend. I'm hoping to get out for another walk today, weather permitting. Still pretty dull and overcast here, but I'm hoping it'll brighten up. Have a good day everyone, take care, and stay safe :thumbsup:

yCDngVs.jpg

Back