Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

getting old does that along with some other undesirable losses.
My hair-loss seems to have accelerated lately. I'm going to try self-hypnosis.
Ace pic Rob :cool: I don't recall seeing it before, but then I've got a memory like a sieve! :D :thumbsup:
I was going to say, "I also have a memory like a server", but I don't remember why I thought that would be funny.o_O
olXdHhD.jpg

Great picture, Jack. :cool::thumbsup:

Somebody needs to teach you how to celebrate, Jack. :D

Thanks John :) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
Congratulations to Jack and all the Guardians for 2,000 pages. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks John, nice work my friend :) :thumbsup:

Congrats on 2,000 pages, Jack!
6gQqQlp.jpg

Cheers Vince, thanks to you and all our other regular posters :) :thumbsup:

Congratulations Jack and all the Guardians of the Lambsfoot in reaching this 2000 page milestone !!!

zme8iKV.jpg

Xk6CwDK.jpg

Really interesting pics Dan :) Thanks buddy :thumbsup:

And this entry is for the 40,000 posts in the Guardians thread LOL :D

LOL! :D That's another incredible milestone - wow! :cool: :thumbsup:

I was going to say, "I also have a memory like a server", but I don't remember why I thought that would be funny.o_O
olXdHhD.jpg

It made me laugh Jer! :D :thumbsup:

View attachment 1347430 And this post is for pg 2001; a lamb foot odyssey.:D

Guardians_of_the_lambsfoot.jpg

LOL! :D I'm sure there's a great Photoshop opportunity there :D :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack and congratulations on 2000 pages:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ace pic Rob :cool: I don't recall seeing it before, but then I've got a memory like a sieve! :D :thumbsup:

It's an interesting knife all around John, cut swedge with the nick in it along with hand filed or rasped bone, a flush and clean joint which takes a very skilled cutler to get it right, I saw a post on BF by T. Bose who says the F&C joint came along earlier than the flush joint so it's probably a late 1800s to early 1900's knife.

I agree on Jack's choice of celebratory food:confused: he must be putting his money towards the good beer he drinks:thumbsup:;)

Somebody needs to teach you how to celebrate, Jack. :D

Very interesting with the nick in the swedge. :cool::thumbsup:

Hahaha that's funny Jer, let us know how the self hypnosis works out, if you don't forget ;)

My hair-loss seems to have accelerated lately. I'm going to try self-hypnosis.

Thanks David, I used to have quite a lot of business in Otley and Knaresborough, and would come back that way on the bus, and drop off for a pint or two. I always had the beer garden to myself, and it is such a relaxing place to sit and drink a couple of pints :) :thumbsup:

If you ever fancy a trip to a Sam Smith's pub with a really nice beer garden then you need to visit the Crown Inn, in Bolton Percy which is about 4 miles south east of Tadcaster. You could in theory walk from the crossroads in Taddy; I don't think that road is a particularly busy one as it only goes to Bolton Percy and Appleton Roebuck.
I was going to say also the Agar Arms in Warthill north east of York, which is an easy walk from the Coastliner bus route through Stockton-on-the-Forest. It overlooks the village green and pond and is really pleasant. But I've just come across this...
https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/17937274.agar-arms-warthill-serves-last-pint---least-time/

Thanks David, for both the links, and for the compliment :) That pie looks excellent, well done :thumbsup:

Your welcome. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Thanks, David! I spend a lot of time out on the front deck/porch this time of year. :thumbsup: I enjoyed the Porter, although I think I like their Pale Ale and Oatmeal Stout a bit more. I might have to go back later and taste a few of my favorites side by side. :D

I think you need to do a comprehensive compare and contrast. I'd recommend several repetitions just to be sure. :D

Your pork pie looks pretty good! :thumbsup: Maybe you should try it between a couple slices of bread. ;)

:D:D I know I'm from Wigan, but I'm not that much from Wigan. :D

Thanks for the kind words, David. :)
Looks like you had a delicious lunch in a lovely locale! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Your welcome; nowhere more fancy than my mum's back garden.

Old picture of a knife I bought over a year ago, sent it to Glenn around the end of last year, has a cracked bolster and a substantial amount of side to side blade play, hopefully he can work his magic and fix those issues, if so it will be sporting new covers when it comes home. I'm not a fan of the bois durci or whatever plastic feeling compound they are made from.

ZbvG1CD.jpg

We'll look forward to seeing the finished article. :thumbsup:

I know how you feel about those covers; it's rubbish material for knife covers.
0QJ4rop.jpg

I'd give my right arm for some fine bone covers on this one. :thumbsup:

All looks from here, David...but where's the appropriate beverage?:D:thumbsup:

Have a great Tuesday!:):thumbsup:
A recycled for today...
P8Wgi1E.jpg

What a great shot there. Certainly flying Yorkshire's flag. :thumbsup:
Oh errr...you mean the beer with the pie? I try and wait until the sun is at least somewhere near the Yardarm. :D

Good stuff Barrett (sadly, they stopped selling it in pharmacies here, some years ago, for some reason) :thumbsup: I thought it might be camellia oil - came highly recommended, made a real mess of some of my old knives o_O

I just use butchers block oil. I've still half a bottle left that I picked up in Barnitts years ago.

Congrats on 2,000 pages, Guardians! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

UiBBy4u.jpg

Ha! Great picture! :D:thumbsup:

And I was determined to catch page 2000 and I damned well missed it. :rolleyes: You snooze ya lose I guess. Anyway the other half of my salty pie.
snd5S1G.jpg

Looks like you've been working hard, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Can't believe you're just tossing all that great whittling stock, though! :eek::D

Congrats on your new acquisition, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Yep, I've often heard "Come for the knives, stay for the people" applied to The Porch in general, and I think that's very accurate. Certainly applies to the Guardians, too! :thumbsup::):cool::thumbsup:

My wife buzzed my head last week for the first time since the end of January; life is a little simpler now! ;) A #2 guard was my preference, but somehow we've lost that one, so now I have to decide between a #1 and a #3.

LamBarJack for me this week:
View attachment 1347181

- GT
Thanks for the comments and compliments Gary! :) We’ve definitely been hard at it for a couple of weeks! We still have a way to go! It’ll be worth it! :cool: Pam buzzed my head three weeks ago. I chose a 3 because that’s what I trim my beard with. First time in 56 years my hair has been buzzed! :eek: That’s a great photo of your LamBarJack! :thumbsup: :)

David that would be a nice one to have new bone covers put on:thumbsup: I like a lambfoot and pen 2 blade:thumbsup: I'm having mine done in smooth horn. Here's a big un with the same nasty covers, because of that it's become a permanent resident of a pocket in my gym bag, otherwise it's a great knife.
s0SaemV.jpg

We'll look forward to seeing the finished article. :thumbsup:

I know how you feel about those covers; it's rubbish material for knife covers.
I'd give my right arm for some fine bone covers on this one. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I went for a walk in and around some local woods, walked about 6 miles in all.
Saw another of these wee libraries :)

8dDcuAP.jpg
I enjoyed your photos of your walk in the local woods, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
I also tip my hat to your noticing one of the little libraries, and your posing your stag HHB there. ;) I've read a book or two by Jack Higgins, I think. :cool:

Jack sounds like you had a great walk, my granddaughter also came across one of these Tiny Libraries on our walk last night when we were going to put some non-perishable food item in a Blessing Box. the Blessing Box was the same size as the tiny library and it is for any one in need. My Granddaughter has the biggest heart of anyone I know.
Here’s my Lambsfoot today.
View attachment 1343885
I saw one of these Blessing Boxes you describe on one of my walks, Chuck. I wasn't aware of their existence, but it's a marvelous idea! Your 2-tone lambsfoot is looking fine! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good Afternoon Guardians
View attachment 1343761
Exquisite SamDamLamb senator, Harvey; he has my vote!:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

A practical pair of tools, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! :) I hope y'all are safe and sound this morning! I'm totin' my Jack Black Special Ebony. :thumbsup:
Exemplary ebony, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Me too Gary, I didn't realise our robins were different either :) As in the US, language is also very localised here, which when you first start travelling around, comes as quite a surprise (perhaps less so now because of TV). The most localised word I know of is one they use for a liquor-store in Sheffield, 'Beer-off', I've never heard it used anywhere else, not even in the neighbouring towns :rolleyes:

Looks like a healthy repast that Lam Jack is tucking into there :) :thumbsup:
"Mates eat oats, and does eat oats, and little Lambs eat ivey, carrots, broccoli.....":D:thumbsup: Fine looking horn, Gary!:cool::thumbsup:
Jack, do your robins migrate, or are they year-round residents of Yorkshire? In my area, the robins leave for the winter, and there's all this "cultural baggage" about robins being the harbingers of springtime.

Here's a term I've seen you use several times: bottle bank. Is that a recycling bin for glass? Do you pay a deposit on beverage containers when you buy beer and soft drinks?

Jack and Dennis, most of my meals start with me thoughtlessly cutting up a bunch of vegetables and fruit, and then I start to think about what form they'll take when I actually eat them. :rolleyes:

View attachment 1344248 Good morning, Guardians! Another dark, damp and cool day here, but I have my Lambfoot, so I'll be okay!
Outstanding knife, Ben! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Just some shots on a local walk the other day which was meant to help my back pain but actually made it a lot worse. :rolleyes:...
QP0j5rd.jpg

Sorry to read that your walk "backfired" on you, David :(; I hope your back is soon fit as a fiddle. :thumbsup: Nice photos of the Eye of Sauron on your trip! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I think I tried them once (just the kind that holds men's trousers up!). Didn't like them.
Vince, I've been wearing suspenders instead of a belt for 2 years now, and I no longer have to keep tugging up my pants. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: As I got older and my hip bones were covered with a layer of fat, belts stopped working for me because there was no bony protuberance at waist level on which I could hook the belt, so the belt always slid down below my waist and I was constantly adjusting it (even the stretchy belts that I would cinch up incredibly tight).

:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: A picture is worth a thousand words, or, equivalently, 0.001 Picture = 1 Word!

My Lambsfoot out in the woods yesterday ;) :thumbsup:

dEqHqHo.jpg
Handsome Hartshead Barlow, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

It's not my yard David, although at one time it was privately owned. That's where I monitor birds for the non-profit that now owns it. The bird we are watching is the Bobolink, which winters in the Amazon and breeds here in the summer. We make sure the babies have fledged before that field is mowed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobolink
Very interesting, Dave. :thumbsup::cool::cool: When I was about 7 years old, growing up on a Michigan dairy farm, it seemed like our hay fields contained lots of pheasants and bobolinks (and uncountable numbers of red wing blackbirds). By the time I was finishing high school a decade later, I almost never saw pheasants or bobolinks, and even the red wing black birds seemed far less common than they had been. I'll bet it was due to improvements in my Dad's farming practices, with the cows confined to smaller pastures and fed fresh-cut hay starting early in the spring. We also gradually moved to getting 3 cuttings of baled hay from most fields instead of two, with the first cutting starting soon after the corn got planted. So I'm sure the hay fields were bird havens for a much shorter time in the spring than they had been when I was quite young.

I carry a lambsfoot...

WemZIbkh.jpg

... because cauliflower doesn't grow in bite-sized pieces.

How 'bout you?
Happy Friday, Guardians!

I carry a lambsfoot...

O5EqwG0h.jpg

... because sometimes it's nice to share.
:D:D:thumbsup: Love to see this recurring theme, especially when posted by the theme's creator!!

Sensational! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

My ole Rosewood big ‘un is my choice for today. :)

49556110058_85225c37dc_c_d.jpg
No accounting for taste, and it's always subjective, and all that, but this may be my favorite lambsfoot of yours, Ron! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

John JohnDF JohnDF motivated me to try my shakey hand at making one of these. Kinda got started down the road with them niw!
rcyA5Ex.jpg
Attractive sheath, Dennis; looks fantastic with your stag HHB! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Did you "turn" the barrel for that pen, too?

LamBarJack with me all week:
hhb2.mark.open.slanted.jpg

- GT

Good morning all. Looks like another bad weather day again:mad:. I must have jinxed it because the sun came out and I got my HHB out for a photo session and low and behold...the sun went back in and the clouds moved in. :( Oh well what are you gonna do?o_O
View attachment 1344746
Superb stag HHB, Bill! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
Carrying my Ebony Lambsfoot for Black Friday. :cool::thumbsup:
Me too John :)
My ebony lamb for black Friday ... :cool:
( and Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, )
0vKr1rz.jpg
Unearthly ebony on a post, whether man-made or natural, John and Dan!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Things move fast around here. Getting back to the suspenders, I wanted to mention another name for them even though the only person I ever heard use this was my dad. Galluses. According to the dictionary that word has been around since Arkansas became a state, 1836.
Interesting term, Les! I had to look it up, and as Jack noted, it's related to "gallows" and you can see the connection to getting your pants to hang high. :rolleyes::cool::cool:

Thanks for another fine photo that reveals details my old abused eyes would never pick up on their own, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

One from last Sunday,
49910990716_4ba189b9b2_h.jpg

Jake seems to be my constant work companion lately.
49917400243_95174d48eb_h.jpg
Great reply to Greg's question, FBC! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Some notable lambsfoot pics, too. What's on your sandwich besides onions in the pic with the horn knife? Good old Jake looks like he can survive a 'quake! ;)

Yeah, I've done that dialect quiz a couple of times, and I got similar results. I was surprised by some of the vocabulary, as I thought it was limited to certain areas here :) Here's where I'm really from :D :thumbsup:

bryE5xG.jpg

What struck me about your results, Jack, is that your dialect was judged least similar to an area of the US that we typically call New England! :eek::rolleyes:

Good Morning Guardians and Happy Saturday :)
It's a special day so I'm carrying a special knife. I get to visit my Mom for the first time in two months. She lives in an assisted living fcility and they have been in strict lock-down with zero visitors. But today we get to drive up in our car, they will bring her out and keep her 10 feet away, but we get to see her and talk to her for 20 minutes. Feels a lot like my Mom is in prison. ;)

Glad you had a nice visit with your mom, John! :thumbsup::):thumbsup: I wonder if she feels like YOU are the one in prison? Stellar stag HHB!

I had my first Samuel Smith about 40 years ago here in south Texas. Been one of my favourites since. Going out in a little while to get some. :)
EpAxSXn.jpg

(Recent pic. Will post new ones tonight. With the Barlow. Maybe I should call it my "Barley Barlow". :D )
IIRC, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is a beverage I enjoyed immensely. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: When I got groceries last week, I searched the shelves and coolers of the beer section of the store, but found no Samuel Smith products. Maybe I should go to a different store in the same chain in a more "upscale" neighborhood than the store I typically go to; I think the upscale store might carry both Samuel Smith and Shiner products. But the upscale store is farther from where I live (but probably only 6 miles away, instead of 2), and it doesn't have the "history" of my usual store, which was the first "superstore" established by a local mom&pop grocer in 1962.

- GT

Good morning Guardians! I see I’ve missed a lot over the weekend. First, I want to offer a heartfelt congratulations to Jack on 2000 pages. That’s a great milestone Jack! :thumbsup: I’m proud to have been sharing my love of the Lambsfoot with y’all since page 4 (below). Second, I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day! :thumbsup: We spent the day working like a team of borrowed mules! :rolleyes: We did take time to pickup some BBQ from a local restaurant. It was good, but not like homemade! I’m resting this morning, but I’ll be back at the yard and deck after lunch! I apologize for missing a lot of your posts. I’ll try to get caught up soon! :) :thumbsup:

My first post in the “Guardians of the Lambsfoot” thread! :D
Ladies and gentlemen I am officially submitting my application for membership in the Guardians! :)

A. Wright & Son Thanks Jack :)
26942072802_87b840167d_b_d.jpg

Humphreys Radiant
20826302494_b21d1a524c_b_d.jpg

In my pocket today. Y’all stay safe out there! :) :thumbsup:

49938003256_a15dfe1bb3_o_d.jpg

Back