Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    My hair-loss seems to have accelerated lately. I'm going to try self-hypnosis.
    I was going to say, "I also have a memory like a server", but I don't remember why I thought that would be funny.o_O
    [​IMG]

mitch4ging, Modoc ED, Dschal and 14 others like this.
  2. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2019
    IMG_2351.JPG And this post is for pg 2001; a lamb foot odyssey.:D

[​IMG]

mitch4ging, Modoc ED, Dschal and 16 others like this.
  3. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Good morning, Guardians! Enjoying a beautiful, cool morning with a pair of champions!

[​IMG]

4. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks John :) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks John, nice work my friend :) :thumbsup:

Cheers Vince, thanks to you and all our other regular posters :) :thumbsup:

Really interesting pics Dan :) Thanks buddy :thumbsup:

LOL! :D That's another incredible milestone - wow! :cool: :thumbsup:

It made me laugh Jer! :D :thumbsup:

LOL! :D I'm sure there's a great Photoshop opportunity there :D :thumbsup:

5. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Cool pic Jeff :) :thumbsup:

JohnDF likes this.
  6. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    :thumbsup: Jack!

Jack Black likes this.
  7. rockman0

rockman0 Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2013
    Thanks Jack and congratulations on 2000 pages:thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's an interesting knife all around John, cut swedge with the nick in it along with hand filed or rasped bone, a flush and clean joint which takes a very skilled cutler to get it right, I saw a post on BF by T. Bose who says the F&C joint came along earlier than the flush joint so it's probably a late 1800s to early 1900's knife.

I agree on Jack's choice of celebratory food:confused: he must be putting his money towards the good beer he drinks:thumbsup:;)

Hahaha that's funny Jer, let us know how the self hypnosis works out, if you don't forget ;)

8. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    That would explain it. :D

Prester John, Jack Black and rockman0 like this.
  9. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    2001, a new Lambsfoot Millennium.
    [​IMG]
    Congratulations, Guardians!

mitch4ging, Modoc ED, Dschal and 16 others like this.
  10. donn

donn Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 14, 2002
    If you ever fancy a trip to a Sam Smith's pub with a really nice beer garden then you need to visit the Crown Inn, in Bolton Percy which is about 4 miles south east of Tadcaster. You could in theory walk from the crossroads in Taddy; I don't think that road is a particularly busy one as it only goes to Bolton Percy and Appleton Roebuck.
    I was going to say also the Agar Arms in Warthill north east of York, which is an easy walk from the Coastliner bus route through Stockton-on-the-Forest. It overlooks the village green and pond and is really pleasant. But I've just come across this...
    https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/17937274.agar-arms-warthill-serves-last-pint---least-time/

Your welcome. Cheers. :thumbsup:

I think you need to do a comprehensive compare and contrast. I'd recommend several repetitions just to be sure. :D

:D:D I know I'm from Wigan, but I'm not that much from Wigan. :D

Your welcome; nowhere more fancy than my mum's back garden.

We'll look forward to seeing the finished article. :thumbsup:

I know how you feel about those covers; it's rubbish material for knife covers.
    [​IMG]
    I'd give my right arm for some fine bone covers on this one. :thumbsup:

What a great shot there. Certainly flying Yorkshire's flag. :thumbsup:
    Oh errr...you mean the beer with the pie? I try and wait until the sun is at least somewhere near the Yardarm. :D

I just use butchers block oil. I've still half a bottle left that I picked up in Barnitts years ago.

Ha! Great picture! :D:thumbsup:

And I was determined to catch page 2000 and I damned well missed it. :rolleyes: You snooze ya lose I guess. Anyway the other half of my salty pie.
    [​IMG]

mitch4ging, Modoc ED, Dschal and 15 others like this.
  11. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    2001 A Lambsfoot Odyssey.
    [​IMG]
    Face it... Y'all knew I'd do it. ;)

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    mitch4ging, Modoc ED, Dschal and 17 others like this.
  12. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks for the comments and compliments Gary! :) We’ve definitely been hard at it for a couple of weeks! We still have a way to go! It’ll be worth it! :cool: Pam buzzed my head three weeks ago. I chose a 3 because that’s what I trim my beard with. First time in 56 years my hair has been buzzed! :eek: That’s a great photo of your LamBarJack! :thumbsup: :)

13. rockman0

rockman0 Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2013
    David that would be a nice one to have new bone covers put on:thumbsup: I like a lambfoot and pen 2 blade:thumbsup: I'm having mine done in smooth horn. Here's a big un with the same nasty covers, because of that it's become a permanent resident of a pocket in my gym bag, otherwise it's a great knife.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  14. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I enjoyed your photos of your walk in the local woods, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
    I also tip my hat to your noticing one of the little libraries, and your posing your stag HHB there. ;) I've read a book or two by Jack Higgins, I think. :cool:

I saw one of these Blessing Boxes you describe on one of my walks, Chuck. I wasn't aware of their existence, but it's a marvelous idea! Your 2-tone lambsfoot is looking fine! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Exquisite SamDamLamb senator, Harvey; he has my vote!:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

A practical pair of tools, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Exemplary ebony, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Jack, do your robins migrate, or are they year-round residents of Yorkshire? In my area, the robins leave for the winter, and there's all this "cultural baggage" about robins being the harbingers of springtime.

Here's a term I've seen you use several times: bottle bank. Is that a recycling bin for glass? Do you pay a deposit on beverage containers when you buy beer and soft drinks?

Jack and Dennis, most of my meals start with me thoughtlessly cutting up a bunch of vegetables and fruit, and then I start to think about what form they'll take when I actually eat them. :rolleyes:

Outstanding knife, Ben! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Sorry to read that your walk "backfired" on you, David :(; I hope your back is soon fit as a fiddle. :thumbsup: Nice photos of the Eye of Sauron on your trip! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Vince, I've been wearing suspenders instead of a belt for 2 years now, and I no longer have to keep tugging up my pants. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: As I got older and my hip bones were covered with a layer of fat, belts stopped working for me because there was no bony protuberance at waist level on which I could hook the belt, so the belt always slid down below my waist and I was constantly adjusting it (even the stretchy belts that I would cinch up incredibly tight).

:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: A picture is worth a thousand words, or, equivalently, 0.001 Picture = 1 Word!

Handsome Hartshead Barlow, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Very interesting, Dave. :thumbsup::cool::cool: When I was about 7 years old, growing up on a Michigan dairy farm, it seemed like our hay fields contained lots of pheasants and bobolinks (and uncountable numbers of red wing blackbirds). By the time I was finishing high school a decade later, I almost never saw pheasants or bobolinks, and even the red wing black birds seemed far less common than they had been. I'll bet it was due to improvements in my Dad's farming practices, with the cows confined to smaller pastures and fed fresh-cut hay starting early in the spring. We also gradually moved to getting 3 cuttings of baled hay from most fields instead of two, with the first cutting starting soon after the corn got planted. So I'm sure the hay fields were bird havens for a much shorter time in the spring than they had been when I was quite young.

:D:D:thumbsup: Love to see this recurring theme, especially when posted by the theme's creator!!

Sensational! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

No accounting for taste, and it's always subjective, and all that, but this may be my favorite lambsfoot of yours, Ron! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Attractive sheath, Dennis; looks fantastic with your stag HHB! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Did you "turn" the barrel for that pen, too?

LamBarJack with me all week:
    hhb2.mark.open.slanted.jpg

- GT

mitch4ging, Modoc ED, Dschal and 15 others like this.
  15. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Superb stag HHB, Bill! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Unearthly ebony on a post, whether man-made or natural, John and Dan!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Interesting term, Les! I had to look it up, and as Jack noted, it's related to "gallows" and you can see the connection to getting your pants to hang high. :rolleyes::cool::cool:

Thanks for another fine photo that reveals details my old abused eyes would never pick up on their own, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Great reply to Greg's question, FBC! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Some notable lambsfoot pics, too. What's on your sandwich besides onions in the pic with the horn knife? Good old Jake looks like he can survive a 'quake! ;)

What struck me about your results, Jack, is that your dialect was judged least similar to an area of the US that we typically call New England! :eek::rolleyes:

Glad you had a nice visit with your mom, John! :thumbsup::):thumbsup: I wonder if she feels like YOU are the one in prison? Stellar stag HHB!

IIRC, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is a beverage I enjoyed immensely. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: When I got groceries last week, I searched the shelves and coolers of the beer section of the store, but found no Samuel Smith products. Maybe I should go to a different store in the same chain in a more "upscale" neighborhood than the store I typically go to; I think the upscale store might carry both Samuel Smith and Shiner products. But the upscale store is farther from where I live (but probably only 6 miles away, instead of 2), and it doesn't have the "history" of my usual store, which was the first "superstore" established by a local mom&pop grocer in 1962.

- GT

mitch4ging, Dschal, Pt-Luso and 7 others like this.
  16. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Since her favorite words recently are, "They won't let me out of my room"... ;):D

17. Half/Stop

Jul 25, 2014
    Good morning Guardians! I see I’ve missed a lot over the weekend. First, I want to offer a heartfelt congratulations to Jack on 2000 pages. That’s a great milestone Jack! :thumbsup: I’m proud to have been sharing my love of the Lambsfoot with y’all since page 4 (below). Second, I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day! :thumbsup: We spent the day working like a team of borrowed mules! :rolleyes: We did take time to pickup some BBQ from a local restaurant. It was good, but not like homemade! I’m resting this morning, but I’ll be back at the yard and deck after lunch! I apologize for missing a lot of your posts. I’ll try to get caught up soon! :) :thumbsup:

My first post in the “Guardians of the Lambsfoot” thread! :D
    In my pocket today. Y’all stay safe out there! :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

mitch4ging, Modoc ED, Dschal and 13 others like this.
  18. Half/Stop

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks Gary! I agree on both counts! :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black likes this.
  19. Wild Ben

Wild Ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2016
    IMG_2420.JPG Something from the celebrated Joseph Rodgers to celebrate 2000 (and one) pages!!

20. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    And nearly half of those have actually been about Lambsfoot knives! ;) :D :D

It is a bit odd, and to top it all off, the horn on that one has shrunken away from the liners. :confused:

That’s a well-camouflaged Lambsfoot! :thumbsup:

Nice mug! :thumbsup: Seems like a good enough reason to recycle this Lambsfoot photo. :D

[​IMG]

Cool photo! :thumbsup:

I lucked out; I was up with a newborn early this morning, otherwise I might’ve missed it! (I made that 2K photo back when the thread was on page 1985. I think in my mind I was thinking it was at 1995. So I was holding onto that picture for several days, hoping I didn’t miss the page, which of course went by fast!)

Don’t tell Jack, but that Colman’s Mustard might be my favorite condiment from England. :eek: :D Eleanor loves it, too, which surprised me a bit the first time she tried it. (I was expecting one of those reactions like when you give a baby a lemon.) :D

You’re an OG, Ron. (Original Guardian) :cool: :D