Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

OK Vince, you've twisted my arm! :D Thanks for letting me know about that (though it was up over 24 hours, and I put a link in my sig line) :) However, I'm not running it with under a dozen valid entries :thumbsup: 'Ungodly hour'? In Yorkshire?! :eek: ;) :D :thumbsup:

OK folks here's a link to the giveaway, spread the love! ;) :thumbsup:
Well, this will take some research. The couple of members I had in mind apparently have lambsfoot knives, but are not frequent posters in this thread. I will nominate someone before midnight my time (it's 3:25 pm now--I took the day off to recover from yesterday!).

With page 2000 swiftly approaching, I thought we'd better have a giveaway :) I managed to find one of the 10 knives I had made up with vintage African Rosewood covers...

vturM74.jpg

It's only open to Guardians, but here's the twist, you can nominate someone who doesn't have a Lambsfoot knife to receive this one as a prize. They must have at least 20 posts in the Traditional forum to qualify (please check), agree to give the knife a try, and not sell it (they can put it up for another giveaway or pass it on to another member here). To enter, please say that you're in, name the member you're nominating, and say why you're nominating them to win a Lambsfoot knife :thumbsup:
1- I am in.
2- I nominate JonMcD JonMcD (new BF member with 130 posts in traditional).
3- I nominate him because I suspect he will like the pattern.

I'll copycat Vince.
1. I'm in
2. I nominate @afishhunter he has plenty of posts on the porch and a few in this thread.
3. I nominate him because he hasn't found a lambfoot he can afford.

https://bladeforums.com/threads/guardians-of-the-lambsfoot.1406735/page-1975#post-19748495

Thanks for the giveaway Jack, you are a generous man who brings a lot of knowledge and willingly shares it and you are an enabler cause I now have a vintage lambfoot addiction and love it:thumbsup::thumbsup:

With page 2000 swiftly approaching, I thought we'd better have a giveaway :) I managed to find one of the 10 knives I had made up with vintage African Rosewood covers...

vturM74.jpg

It's only open to Guardians, but here's the twist, you can nominate someone who doesn't have a Lambsfoot knife to receive this one as a prize. They must have at least 20 posts in the Traditional forum to qualify (please check), agree to give the knife a try, and not sell it (they can put it up for another giveaway or pass it on to another member here). To enter, please say that you're in, name the member you're nominating, and say why you're nominating them to win a Lambsfoot knife :thumbsup:

dpC0z2Ph.jpg

Rosewood today.
The Shadow Knows!o_O
:D:thumbsup::thumbsup: Bill, I immediately thought of the old The Shadow radio broadcasts when I saw Greg's post; I think I have some episodes on cassette audio tapes that we used to listen to on long car trips in a 1996 Dodge Caravan equipped with a cassette player.

I also thought of that old Rolling Stones hit with the lyric
Have you seen your lambsfoot, baby, standing in the shadow?

A Spring Knife is the original, and more correct way of describing a slipjoint, a term which I doubt is more than a couple of decades old. It was in use from when the mechanism was first introduced :thumbsup:
"Slipjoint" has always seemed "too cute" to me, and I try to avoid using it, but "spring knife" seems very straightforward and descriptive. Maybe I'll try to use that term regularly. :rolleyes:

A bit of classic American fiction which I didn't get round to reading today as I got busy with other stuff.
Ihaoose.jpg
You should post that one in the Books and Blades thread, David. ;):thumbsup::cool: 45+ years ago, I read a lot of Burroughs' Tarzan novels and enjoyed them immensely, but I had to read them with a dictionary at hand. I think my old dictionary still has several sheets of words/meanings I wrote down back then (and tried to add to my vocabulary by using them in letters I wrote (using a pen on paper) to friends).

Happy Saturday, Guardians! Ebony Big 'un (thanks Jack!) in the pocket today.

iOzEaFd.jpg
Lovely large lambsfoot, Mike! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I met a BP engineer who was from the Orkney Islands. These islands are home to the northernmost Scotch distillery in the world. So in an effort to bust up the Samuel Smith party I thought I would throw this out there. :D A bottle or two of some of that Chocolate Stout does sound pretty good though.
I'll see you! ;) I always have a bottle of Highland Park in ;) Slainte :thumbsup:

KuPk4z6.jpg

Les & Jack, I don't have much desire for distilled spirits, but those stag lambsfoot knives certainly command my attention! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

The two four-packs I got in cans (the Nut Brown Ale and the Lager) were also available in bottles, but the price was the same, and the cans are 14.9 oz versus 12 oz bottles. That’s 23.2 oz of free beer! ;) :D
Good analysis, Barrett! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: Unit pricing is so important for comparison shopping: I have to always at least consider the beer with the lowest price per ounce, or the knife with the lowest price per inch! :rolleyes::D

I had the Pure Brewed Organic Lager tonight, as well. ... Of the two I had tonight, I definitely prefer the Pale Ale.

CtCtkCF.jpg

Great to see your distinctive AC, Barrett! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Vivacious vintage stag lambsfoot, José! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians and Happy Sunday.
Knife and sheath are both outstanding, John!! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Do you make that oak and acorns with a single die, or is it all hand-carved? Impressive to me either way! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup::)

Waynorth Cutlery Lambfoot with jigged bone covers. @waynorth

When New:
W3c5hNX.jpg

Used a Bit:
9h1aB77.jpg
Memorable knife, new or used, ED! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

So for a brief period of time (I was probably 10 years old), I thought I was a cowboy. ;) I had a cowboy hat, and boots, and a leather belt that my grandma bought for me at a craft fair with my name and some oak leaves and acorns (like those on your slip) on it. :thumbsup:

Here’s another recycled Lambsfoot photo. :D

XdQovfM.jpg
Any photos of your cowboy outfit, Barrett? I'd love to compare your "costume" with the one Vince recently posted! ;):cool::thumbsup: Great shot of your ironwood Guardians lambsfoot! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Not feeling well today, will try to comment on everyone's great photos. Have a great Sunday!

Desktop shot..
OuY7EET.jpg
Thanks for the excellent photo, Dennis! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Sorry to read that you were feeling poorly. :( I hope there's been some improvement!

Don't think this test is very accurate. Or maybe I don't talk right.
Vince, the test has probably blown your cover as a chameleon, an international man of mystery who can fit in wherever he goes as if he were one of the locals (at least all along the East and Gulf Coasts). :rolleyes::D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Although you can't see it clearly, here I am on the way to mow the yards with a Buffalo Horn covered "Big-un". I had another knife in a pocket but it has to remain "unmentionable" in this Lambfoot thread.

RtDmijH.jpg
Looking good, ED! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I hope the ride on that vehicle isn't too "bone-jarring" and didn't bother leg or jaw! :eek:

For New York I think it was my response to the pronunciation of "Mary", "merry", and "marry".
That question always makes me think, "How can you pronounce them differently?", and then I think of this:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is doing OK, thought I'd carry my AC for a change :) :thumbsup:

HIWCVEt.jpg
Superb pic of your AC, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Apple blossoms?

Happy Monday Guardians and Happy Memorial Day to my fellow US members! A special day calls for a special knife, so I think I'll slip this one into the pocket. Plan to smoke some spare ribs today and hopefully get the kayaks out with the kids for a bit.
YRBS3EI.jpg
Glorious knife! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

The Oatmeal Stout is fantastic! I’m a sucker for stouts anyways, and this one doesn’t disappoint. Nice and toasty, just a little sweetness, not too heavy. I’m really enjoying it. :thumbsup:
Barrett, I think you're channeling my thoughts from the first time I ever tried that Oatmeal Stout many years ago! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Thank you and deep appreciation to those in the Military, past and and present who have made the ultimate sacrifice, defending our liberty and freedom. A debt that can never fully be repaid. I would submit that all the first responders who have given their lives to protect ours, be included in this august group of Heroes.

Good Afternoon Guardians.
526D7E42-0DA7-4B52-9CDD-E4547317C7A0_zpsgbdfpkgl.jpeg
Great sentiment, and knife, Harvey (what's the image on the tang stamp)! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
I spent a couple of hours Monday morning, as I occasionally do on Memorial Day, searching the internet for info on a guy who was 3 years ahead of me in school, went to the same church I did, grew up on a dairy farm about 5 miles from the one on which I was raised. He was killed in a guard tower at the MACV compound (posthumously named after him) in Hue, South Vietnam while fighting off the initial enemy assault during the Tet Offensive, Jan 31, 1968, less than 2 weeks before his 20th birthday and 39 days before he was scheduled to return to the US. I suppose not surprisingly with memories of a violent situation like that, there's a lot of conflicting info online.

My second homemade pork pie. A tad to much salt with this one but not bad all the same. :)
SbgKAL3.jpg
Looks great, David! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

"Slipjoint" has always seemed "too cute" to me, and I try to avoid using it, but "spring knife" seems very straightforward and descriptive. Maybe I'll try to use that term regularly. :rolleyes:
I don't care for the term "slipjoint", and rarely use it. Learned it on BF. They're "pocketknives." The newfangled "tactical" knives with thumbstuds and pocket clips are the one that need special names. I'm just gonna keep using my pocketknives. :cool:

A Spring Knife is the original, and more correct way of describing a slipjoint, a term which I doubt is more than a couple of decades old. It was in use from when the mechanism was first introduced :thumbsup:

I don't care for the term "slipjoint", and rarely use it. Learned it on BF. They're "pocketknives." The newfangled "tactical" knives with thumbstuds and pocket clips are the one that need special names. I'm just gonna keep using my pocketknives. :cool:

How do y’all feel about “slippie”? :rolleyes: :D

Good analysis, Barrett! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: Unit pricing is so important for comparison shopping: I have to always at least consider the beer with the lowest price per ounce, or the knife with the lowest price per inch! :rolleyes::D

I’m all for finding a good deal, but I usually stay away from the cheapest-per-ounce beers at the liquor store. o_O :D

Any photos of your cowboy outfit, Barrett? I'd love to compare your "costume" with the one Vince recently posted! ;):cool::thumbsup: Great shot of your ironwood Guardians lambsfoot! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I don’t have any from that time period, but here’s one from a few years earlier.

cp6GVfJ.jpg

(I don’t know why I looked so angry.) :D

I continued my Samuel Smith’s tasting experience tonight with the Organic Chocolate Stout. I was surprised just how pronounced the chocolate flavor was. It’s kind of like drinking a black-and-tan, if the black was stout, and the tan was chocolate milk! :D It’s not a bad beer by any means — actually pretty good as far as chocolate stouts go — but a bit too sweet for me. I let my wife try a sip, and she loved it! (Of course, one of her favorite beers from a local brewery here in Minnesota is a chocolate peanut butter porter. :rolleyes:) I think this one might be best saved for dessert. :D

ALvhk97.jpg

It was at this point that I realized I’ve tasted every Sam Smith’s beer I got except the Stingo (and I haven’t put that one in the fridge yet), so I thought I’d keep going with stouts and crack open another Oatmeal Stout. I wouldn’t recommend drinking this one right after the Chocolate Stout; if you wanted to drink both, maybe go the other way. I think the Oatmeal Stout is the better beer, but back to back it gets overpowered by the chocolate. (Don’t worry, about halfway through my palate had recovered and I got to enjoy all the toasty, bittersweet notes I loved about the Oatmeal Stout again.) :thumbsup:

M40RpTQ.jpg

How do y’all feel about “slippie”? :rolleyes: :D

I’m all for finding a good deal, but I usually stay away from the cheapest-per-ounce beers at the liquor store. o_O :D

I don’t have any from that time period, but here’s one from a few years earlier.

cp6GVfJ.jpg

I continued my Samuel Smith’s tasting experience tonight with the Organic Chocolate Stout. I was surprised just how pronounced the chocolate flavor was. It’s kind of like drinking a black-and-tan, if the black was stout, and the tan was chocolate milk! :D It’s not a bad beer by any means — actually pretty good as far as chocolate stouts go — but a bit too sweet for me. I let my wife try a sip, and she loved it! (Of course, one of her favorite beers from a local brewery here in Minnesota is a chocolate peanut butter porter. :rolleyes:) I think this one might be best saved for dessert. :D

ALvhk97.jpg

It was at this point that I realized I’ve tasted every Sam Smith’s beer I got except the Stingo (and I haven’t put that one in the fridge yet), so I thought I’d keep going with stouts and crack open another Oatmeal Stout. I wouldn’t recommend drinking this one right after the Chocolate Stout; if you wanted to drink both, maybe go the other way. I think the Oatmeal Stout is the better beer, but back to back it gets overpowered by the chocolate. (Don’t worry, about halfway through my palate had recovered and I got to enjoy all the toasty, bittersweet notes I loved about the Oatmeal Stout again.) :thumbsup:

M40RpTQ.jpg
Making me thirsty! Good thing I have a few Sam Smiths in the fridge. Gonna have a lager and then a chocolate stout for dessert.

Thanks Duncan, always a treat when you stop by pal :) Hope you can introduce me to this lady one day, seems to have some sand :cool: ;) :thumbsup:

uA87foC.jpg

Thanks Jack.
I had to chuckle as I purchased a very very well used Lambsfoot the other day, so it will be interesting when that arrives- of course - its forst post will be here - if not for anything but a Chuckle on a well used great old Knife!

Jacinda - Has sold herself well, I could go onto a political rant - but this isnt the Thread lol.

Woah 2000 pages came and went! Congrats Jack on starting such an amazing thread with fantastic information, great photos and comradere!!

Congrats Guardians as well!!

Thanks Taylor, for the kind words, and for all your contributions here :) :thumbsup:

Well, this will take some research. The couple of members I had in mind apparently have lambsfoot knives, but are not frequent posters in this thread. I will nominate someone before midnight my time (it's 3:25 pm now--I took the day off to recover from yesterday!).

Just to clarify, you can nominate posters who have never contributed to the Guardians thread, but I would hope that whoever enters on their behalf can give some reason why they would like a Lambsfoot (eg a post they've made), rather than just who wouldn't want one :thumbsup:

1- I am in.
2- I nominate JonMcD JonMcD (new BF member with 130 posts in traditional).
3- I nominate him because I suspect he will like the pattern.

Thanks Vince, good proposal, JonMcD JonMcD has previously posted here, and enquired about the Lambsfoot pattern. Can future entrants please say more in support of their chosen nominee please :thumbsup:

I'll copycat Vince.
1. I'm in
2. I nominate @afishhunter he has plenty of posts on the porch and a few in this thread.
3. I nominate him because he hasn't found a lambfoot he can afford.

https://bladeforums.com/threads/guardians-of-the-lambsfoot.1406735/page-1975#post-19748495

Thanks for the giveaway Jack, you are a generous man who brings a lot of knowledge and willingly shares it and you are an enabler cause I now have a vintage lambfoot addiction and love it:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Rob, perfect :) You're very kind my friend :) :thumbsup:

I don't think I'd ever heard the phrase 20 years ago, and it sounds concocted to me too. It became more prominent, here in the UK, because British Law decided to differentiate between locking and non-locking folders, and users (and certainly the Law) were perhaps unaware that the latter already had a long-standing name. When I was younger, we just referred to penknives, or pocketknives, and to lock-knives if that applied. The terms 'spring-knife' and 'spring-knife cutler' have never ceased to be used in the Sheffield cutlery trade :thumbsup:

6gSsuAc.jpg

Les & Jack, I don't have much desire for distilled spirits, but those stag lambsfoot knives certainly command my attention! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Superb pic of your AC, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Apple blossoms?

Thanks a lot Gary :) Yes, apple blossoms :) :thumbsup:

cp6GVfJ.jpg

ALvhk97.jpg

M40RpTQ.jpg

Great photo Barrett :) My mother used to have one of me in a cowboy outfit when I was 3 :D

The Chocolate Stout is definitely not a session beer :D Great pics my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thanks so much Prester John Prester John ! I come and ogle the Guardians thread each day, wipe up my drool and leave. Thanks for thinking of me!

Good luck Jon! :D :) :thumbsup:

Making me thirsty! Good thing I have a few Sam Smiths in the fridge. Gonna have a lager and then a chocolate stout for dessert.

Hope you enjoyed them Vince :) :thumbsup:

I was in charge of dinner tonight.

Looks great John! :) :thumbsup:

I carry a lambsfoot...

Wp8WM3A.jpg

...because the cream cheese doesn't spread itself.

How 'bout you?

Nice Vince :) :thumbsup:

Come on, Guardians--let's nominate some more people for the giveaway. This cult needs to grow!

Hope you don't mind me emboldening your post Vince, I do hope we get some more entries :) Come on Guardians, think of those poor knife-lovers who have thus far been denied a Lambsfoot ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack.
I had to chuckle as I purchased a very very well used Lambsfoot the other day, so it will be interesting when that arrives- of course - its forst post will be here - if not for anything but a Chuckle on a well used great old Knife!

Jacinda - Has sold herself well, I could go onto a political rant - but this isnt the Thread lol.

Looking forward to seeing that one Duncan :) :thumbsup:

I'm very sorry Duncan, that wasn't supposed to be a political post, I don't know anything about NZ politics. Please excuse my ignorance, and thank you for your restraint my friend :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians, hope everyone is doing OK :) I waited in all day yesterday for some deliveries, which are now due to arrive today :rolleyes: Halfway through another week, and I'm carrying my 2018 Guardians Lambsfoot in ebony. Have a good day folks, and don't forget to enter that giveaway :thumbsup:

pqaegvR.jpg

Back to work after taking 5 days off to go camping, no phone, internet or TV it was great. It’s kinda funny with things starting to open up again my work is slowing down, warehouse at capacity and with most of our customers not open but buying product , they are full also. Nice to have a little breather.

I thought I would show the other side of my companion today,
upload_2020-5-27_7-38-50.jpeg

Back