Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

An easy 20ish minute walk from the station or on the ?number 1 bus.

Oh on a rainy Saturday the badder the better. :D:thumbsup:

Cheers chaps. :thumbsup:

Oh I bet that's a joy to sweep up after it's rained. :D

Yeah they could of done that here but haven't. :rolleyes:

I posted a link in this thread a few weeks back to a report I'd read about the effect of this fiasco on U.S craft brewers and it made sober reading. :( It was estimating as many as 40% may not survive, which I sincerely hope has not been the case.

I've got to see if I can find someone stocking this Duke's mayo as it seems to be highly regarded.

Much improved and those covers are real nice. :thumbsup:

I'm recycling a pic from winter cos it's grim and miserable round me today.
GKOwCML.jpg

I hope your all having a decent Saturday.:thumbsup:
Nice photo. Reminds me of an area in Pennsylvania that I used to hunt.

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg

Be easier to forgive if there was less self-promotion, and more humility, not to mention honesty, involved Bill. Sad to think some of those reading the published guff may think that's the work of a "Sheffield Master Cutler" o_O I'm glad you got a useable knife in the end :thumbsup:

That was a good series/movie wasn't it John? :) They seem to have a bit of a theme going at that brewery ;) :thumbsup:

32-abbeydale-websitev2-heresy-gf-440.png
32-abbeydale-websitev2-unbelievertropberl-gfvg-440.png
32-abbeydale-websitev2-voyager21-gfvg-440.png

Looking good John, thought you might be interested in my biscuit choice today! :D ;) :thumbsup:

m1MD9Jj.jpg
Jack, I can assure you; lesson learned. :)

Congratulations to you and your daughter. I'm glad it was a successful day. :):thumbsup:

I like the name of the beer.
One of my favorite Sci-Fi Space Ships was named Serenity. :cool::thumbsup:

I'm glad it turned out to be okay in the end, Bill. Sure is a looker. :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks John - it took awhile to get it to this stage but I definitely have a nice knife now. Mind you, I was expecting something better but considering where it started out I have to be
semi-satisfied:):thumbsup:

Kind of reminds me of our Napa Valley.

Errr...yeah. How about now? :D
01rQdzS.jpg

(A couple of miles away from the first picture roughly same time of year but on a different day). :D

Lambfoot content for the day, had to crop a blasphemous sheepfoot out of this recycled photo from an old stag Saturday post ;)

7XW4jn6.png

I've seen that on the Old Knives thread haven't I. Lovely collection. In all the antique shops I've visited in the UK I've never come across any pocket knives as fine as those. :(

I must’ve missed that. I certainly hope things turn out better than that in the end! :(

Here you go Barrett. This was back in April, so things may of changed as you guys have dealt with this differently to how we have here in the UK.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/brew...y-they-may-be-forced-to-close-within-3-months

The closest I can come to sharing a pint with Jack Black Jack Black and donn donn at one of those wonderful English pubs they often post about and I'm sure are missing frequenting.

be18yvVh.jpg

Picked up from the brewery/pub as a to-go order. Love the place: the beers are served from hand-pulled beer engines and they have outstanding chips (a.k.a. fries stateside). Took my Hartshead there for both the day it arrived. :)

Cheers Greg! There ain't no 'frequently' about me missing pubs. I'm missing them all the time. :( I could say something about it here but it's not the thread to do so. :mad:
That caramel beer sounds interesting. :thumbsup:

Hope we can do it one day Greg, that sounds like a great pub :) I had a couple of big-hitters last night, 8% Sam Smith's Stingo, and a delicious 11.5% Chocolate Fudge Stout :) :thumbsup:

ateMJ5W.jpg

azxcBC3.jpg

That fudge one sounds interesting.

I've enjoyed regular evening libations Friday night and last night. This was Friday's Chocolate & Fudge Stout after the rain stopped.:thumbsup:
2LwfqkK.jpg

Apparently, it's Sunday. I hope everyone is well and enjoying things. :thumbsup:

Jack, I can assure you; lesson learned. :)

I'm sure Bill, a shame :( :thumbsup:

That fudge one sounds interesting.

I've enjoyed regular evening libations Friday night and last night. This was Friday's Chocolate & Fudge Stout after the rain stopped.:thumbsup:
2LwfqkK.jpg

Apparently, it's Sunday. I hope everyone is well and enjoying things. :thumbsup:

It's nice David, not sure how much I paid for it though, got it from the trendy 'craft ale' shop up the road :rolleyes: I bet that one is good too, and a healthy ABC I see ;) :D :thumbsup:

Nice photo. Reminds me of an area in Pennsylvania that I used to hunt.

Really Bill that's interesting to know the US has some moorland. Apparently the UK has about 78% of the world's total of upland moorland in the world. What did you hunt? Other than vermin and small game there's no real hunting round there. It's moorland pasture so nothing more than sheep and some beef/dairy cattle round there.

It's nice David, not sure how much I paid for it though, got it from the trendy 'craft ale' shop up the road :rolleyes: I bet that one is good too, and a healthy ABC I see ;) :D :thumbsup:

Well you may as well treat yourself Jack as it's not like your spending money gallivanting about the country. Or will be anytime soon either. :rolleyes:
Aye 4T's don't skimp on their ABV's. They do a peanut butter stout, which I didn't think I'd like but is actually damned delicious! I'll be having some tonight I'm sure. :)

It's red flowers today!
I have irises suddenly. Gotta tackle the garden this year, and here it is almost July.

How's it going Jer? I use a low-fat spread, rather than butter, on my toast these days, and find it quite acceptable. I just checked, and it's vegan too! :D Having said that, when I have beans on toast, I don't always butter the toast :rolleyes: :thumbsup:
Yeah, I use that stuff too. I just had some Fabio oil on my banana muffin. It's not bad.
The veganism isn't hard, especially when you have to clean up after yourself. I allow myself the occasional lapse, like swiss cheese on my impossible burger, and hot dogs on Memorial Day.
4uhzrN5.jpg

It's sink-cleaning day!

Good morning Guardians :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack !
:D :thumbsup:

A pleasure Rob, thanks for your photo-cropping efforts, three really sweet Lambsfoot knives there :cool: :) :thumbsup:

As I aquired these I posted them individually in old knives, this particular photo was posted in stag Saturday but there was a Russell 2 blade jack at the bottom that I cropped out in order to avoid a scolding ;):D

Thanks David :thumbsup:

I've seen that on the Old Knives thread haven't I. Lovely collection. In all the antique shops I've visited in the UK I've never come across any pocket knives as fine as those. :(

donn donn David I stumbled upon a fellow who lives near Sheffield who has this group in his possession, unfortunately I've not been successful prying a few out of his hands:( but I will continue to stay in touch in case he changes his mind:thumbsup: I'm really in love with the 3rd from left:)

LSt1LBm.png

Good Morning Guardians and Happy Sunday
My wife and I were supposed to get up and go fishing this morning. Well, I do the fishing and she does the sitting in a chair and reading.
But we stayed up really late binge watching The Arrow and I didn't have the heart to wake her up early. So I'm spending my morning with you all.

Well you may as well treat yourself Jack as it's not like your spending money gallivanting about the country. Or will be anytime soon either. :rolleyes:
Aye 4T's don't skimp on their ABV's. They do a peanut butter stout, which I didn't think I'd like but is actually damned delicious! I'll be having some tonight I'm sure. :)

Yes, I can't remember the last time I even went to a cash machine David :rolleyes: Sounds good :) :thumbsup:

Yeah, I use that stuff too. I just had some Fabio oil on my banana muffin. It's not bad.
The veganism isn't hard, especially when you have to clean up after yourself. I allow myself the occasional lapse, like swiss cheese on my impossible burger, and hot dogs on Memorial Day.
4uhzrN5.jpg

It's sink-cleaning day!

Good for you Jer :) Not the sink-cleaning part! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

A wonderful Lambsfoot, Jack. :cool::thumbsup:

Thank you John :) :thumbsup:

donn donn David I stumbled upon a fellow who lives near Sheffield who has this group in his possession, unfortunately I've not been successful prying a few out of his hands:( but I will continue to stay in touch in case he changes his mind:thumbsup: I'm really in love with the 3rd from left:)

LSt1LBm.png

Wonderful collection, I don't think I've heard of anyone over here collecting Lambsfoot knives before :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians and Happy Sunday
My wife and I were supposed to get up and go fishing this morning. Well, I do the fishing and she does the sitting in a chair and reading.
But we stayed up really late binge watching The Arrow and I didn't have the heart to wake her up early. So I'm spending my morning with you all.

That's very thoughtful of you John, I know how much you like your fishing :) Hope you both have a relaxing day :thumbsup:

Hope we can do it one day Greg, that sounds like a great pub :) I had a couple of big-hitters last night, 8% Sam Smith's Stingo, and a delicious 11.5% Chocolate Fudge Stout :) :thumbsup:

I do, too, Jack. Both beers sound wonderful. I've been following along as you and Barrett have been describing the Stingo. Still need to get around to picking up some Sam Smiths. For now was happy to support a local brewery that specializes in English styles. :thumbsup:

Errr...yeah. How about now? :D
01rQdzS.jpg

(A couple of miles away from the first picture roughly same time of year but on a different day). :D

You might be surprised... Photos at Napa Valley Register.

Cheers Greg! There ain't no 'frequently' about me missing pubs. I'm missing them all the time. :( I could say something about it here but it's not the thread to do so. :mad:
That caramel beer sounds interesting. :thumbsup:

Sorry to have poked at a sore spot, David. I hope that they are able to re-open sooner than you dare hope.

The beer was good. I don't drink a lot of ESBs—I'd prefer an ordinary bitter or an IPA—but am happy that I have three more cans of it in the fridge.

The brewery describes itself as having "a mission to fuse English tradition and American audacity into a collection of beers that are full-flavored yet balanced" and I think they do a pretty good job of it. Their "London Calling", which is a bitter in their standard rotation, is very good. I also picked up "Hoppier Shade of Pale" that is what is a very nice pale ale with west-coast hops. I'll have to show a picture of that later.

Last edited:
Good morning to the Guardians in the US & Canada, good afternoon to the Guardians in the UK & Europe, and a very late good evening to the Guardians in Australia!

I wondered if I might spark some discussion—or friendly debate, even—today. We've talked often in this thread about the defining characteristics of a lambsfoot knife. And, we've talked often in this thread about what we like about the pattern and the blade. How about a different slant on these themes to continue to probe the nuances of what we hold dear?

For those who are game, please complete this sentence: "A lambsfoot wouldn't be a lambsfoot without..." by mentioning one aspect that you personally find as either the most defining or most prized aspect of a lambsfoot.

I'll get things started and go first. For me, a lambsfoot wouldn't be a lambsfoot without it's nose.

As I've previously shared, without realizing it, I'd unwittingly become a fan of the nose profile of the lambsfoot before even owning one. There's something about it that makes it so practical for so many things. Others have described it in almost Goldilocks terms: "The nose angle of Blade S is too obtuse and can't get into tight spots as well as a lambsfoot can; the nose angle of Blade W is too acute and is prone to breaking at the tip; the nose angle of the Lambsfoot is just right."

And, it's not just the angle of the nose, it's also how it's positioned relative to the long axis of the knife. If it were upturned, like on some curved-edge blades, it wouldn't be nearly as handy for, say, piercing clamshell packaging.

Finally, in addition to finding it to be the most practical nose of the straight-edges blades I've tried, I also find it to be the lambsfoot's nose most aesthetically pleasing.

What about y'all? What's the most lambsfooty aspect of a lambsfoot for you?

Last edited:
Given a choice, I'd have swapped the two fruit beers in my mixed case for something else, but as I had one in the fridge, and as I was going to sit out in the garden for a bit, I thought I'd have this Raspberry Beer. Not bad, if you like that kind of thing :thumbsup:
;)

How can we recognize the books without the titles? I have had a number of Dover paperbacks--mostly chess books that used descriptive/English notation. (I hate algebraic notation--confuses me! Doesn't "P-K4" make much more sense than "e2-e4" for "Pawn to King Four"?)
It makes much more sense Vince :thumbsup:
But mathematician Gary will disagree. :p
I admit there's not much info to go on in my photo, Vince. But certain books have a "look" that's recognizable to someone who knows the book well. For example, in my pic to which you refer, although I'm not a fan of the author Peter Straub, I do recognize his (partial) name on a spine on the right side of the shelf, and I suspect someone who's crazy about his books might even recognize the book by color scheme or font or something.
Also, in that particular pic, the Dover book has an ISBN on it. I looked that up later, and found that it is for G.K. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday. Have you read any Chesterton? I'm not an expert by any means on that author, but from the little I do know, I'll bet you might like his work.

I have a couple of Dover chess reprints, too, I think. I do prefer algebraic notation, mainly because I like the fact that each square/location on the board has only one name/coordinate, instead of being different for White and Black. For example, in descriptive notation, the square White calls K4 is called K5 by Black, but in algebraic notation, that square is e4 for everyone. So absolute, rather than relative, coordinates. Algebraic is also a little bit more concise, and has fewer situations that need "extra notation" to remove ambiguities. But I did learn descriptive first, and I tend to think of the files on the board in descriptive terms, even while reading/using algebraic notation: I still think of, say, the c-file as the Queen's Bishop file. :rolleyes:

Very interesting post Gary, thank you, great pics :) :thumbsup:
I'm enjoying your hunt for free libraries.
I'm tempted to send you some flies for the flybrary.
Thanks, Jack and John. :) I need to recharge my camera batteries and take several "walking tours" with the purpose of getting pics of 3 or 4 libraries on each tour. I walked a couple of new-to-me streets last week and came up with 3 more libraries; I'm up to 2 dozen on my current list, with pics of only 5.

Not to slight any Guardians but I have two new Best Friends. Meet Chester Cheetah and Mini-Vanilla. Two snacks that melt in my mouth and are swallow friendly. So here's my food picture contribution to this thread today.
Thanks for the introductions, ED. :):cool::cool: My daughter is a big fan of Flamin' Hot Cheetos! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good morning! I hope y’all are all doing well today! My coffee might be just a shade darker than my 2018 Guardians Ebony SFO this morning! ;) But, they are both mighty fine! :thumbsup: :D

49655426758_5803f1ba20_o_d.jpg
Morning Guardians ! :)
2zqxCWH.jpg
Been grading stacks of papers.
Time for a break and my afternoon cup of coffee.
José, Ron, Dan, and John: thanks for the exquisite ebony pics! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
John, did you have a literal stack of papers to grade? Once we moved to online classes, my students submitted photos of the pages of their tests, etc. and I graded them using a PDF "mark-up app" that allowed me to insert text boxes and draw/write using my finger on the trackpad as a "pen" (I was quite bad at the latter to start with, but my trackpad penmanship gradually improved). More time-consuming for me than having an actual stack of papers to page through and write on "traditionally". :confused:

Trying my best to catch up and fit in:

PlsNJVbh.jpg

Back home at Woodchuck Acres, we have this colander, that I’ve had for some decades.
CYtfT6h.jpg
I'm still fascinated by these colander hole patterns. I like Greg's "Asterisks of David" on his small colander, and although I thought I had one identical to Jer's, it turns out that his has some extra holes in each pattern that produce concentric circles inside his stars, not all of which are visible in my example. Dave's pattern is exactly like the one I have on my 9" diameter colander! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Good morning Guardians. I hope everyone is doing well. I've my HHB with me today again and I decided to pair him up in a photo with a custom made pen that was a gift from a friend. Harkens to my love of fly fishing for trout.
View attachment 1349299
Your stag HHB and fish pen make a wonderful set, Bill! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think we should apply that logic to everything, John! If you need bacon, cheese, mustard and a bun to make your hamburger taste good, why bother eating beef at all? Fried chicken? No thanks, you can keep your crispy skin and yuppie “herbs and spices.” Boil that chicken in a pot of water, throw it on a plate and grab a fork. ;)
Good points, Barrett! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
(Although I'm a big fan of palin old boiled chicken, especially cold! :thumbsup:;):thumbsup:)

Speaking of Hartsheads...
View attachment 1349384
Harvey's Heavenly Brace of Hartshead Barlows: (HHB)^2 :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I haven’t been keeping up with things on the Porch as well as I used to, although I always try to stay up to date on this thread and a few other favorites. :)
I can relate to your statement, Barrett! :rolleyes:
I used to show up in almost every thread on The Porch, but now I only read about 6 threads semi-regularly. :(

Man Jack:
MJ.mark.Vflat.post.jpg
MJ.pile.Vflat.post.jpg

- GT

Back