Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Happy Sunday!! Enjoyed some Chicken Carbonara and a great glass of wine. ...
X2D0S6w.jpg
That jigged bone WCLF is certainly a good vintage, Taylor! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I read a lot of the Father Brown books during my teenage years My favorite G.K Chesterton quote is: "If something is worth doing; it is worth doing badly" Educational research shows that you learn far more from struggling than from quick proficiency.

View attachment 1354877
I should read some of those Father Brown mysteries.
I'm certainly not becoming quickly proficient at sharpening knives, so I must be learning a LOT! :rolleyes:
Superb pic of your lambsfoot barlows! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for your thoughtful posts Gary!
Thanks for the kind words, Dave. :) And thanks to all the Guardians for always giving me interesting things about which to think! ;):cool::thumbsup:

Thanks Gary, I've got @Henry Beige in for a second time :) So far, we only have 7 nominations for 5 nominees, so I hope we're going to get some more. Come on Guardians, spread the love! :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack.

I was up at 5.00am here myself, but just the light waking me up I think. I'm sure there are folks here who have to get up earlier than that every day. I often wake up very early at this time of year, and don't mind it, so long as I've got a few hour's sleep. ...
I get up at 4:30 every day... without an alarm.
My back won't usually let me sleep any later than that, but I enjoy the quiet mornings.
I usually get up between 4:30 and 5am, without an alarm. I also like the quiet mornings. But I find that the time between 5am and 8am just flies by! So many things I'd like to do in the early morning, but I rarely accomplish everything I hope to. :rolleyes:

Thank you very much, Gary.
In the Barlow the bolsters are not carbon steel, but brass.:):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the correction, José; I should have known that! :rolleyes:

Prime pair of lambsfoot barlows, José! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Having done some research though, I think it might have been @pertinux who coined the name 'Lambcliffe', specifically for that Case blade :)
That's what I recall, Jack. :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Good morning Guardians. I'm proud to introduce y'all to my newest Lambsfoot. :) This one is a G. Butler & Co, Sheffield. Here's a link to a brief history on the company. The blade stamp is faint in places, "Lamb Foot Knife". It is a large model, measuring right at 4-1/4". The handles are rumored to be "Bois Durci". I really don't know for sure maybe Jack will help us on that. ...

49984810847_a01c8c2a13_o.jpg

Congrats on adding another lamb to your flock, Ron; those checkered covers are certainly appealing to me! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Congratulations Ron :) Great pics, what a smashing-looking Lambsfoot :cool: From looking at the knife side-on, my guess for those handles would have been compressed fibre, which came checkered just like that, and was used a lot in Sheffield. ...
Ron mentioned "Bois Durci", which Google tells me means "hardened wood" made of sawdust and BLOOD! :eek: Jack's "compressed fibre" sounds like it could be something similar, if not identical.

That’s a shame, Jack. :( I was looking through photos of the market on Google, and it looks pretty cool the way it is. I like the outdoor stalls, and this hall with the high glass ceiling is awesome!

L2wB40W.jpg

I thought this exterior view (just a screenshot I took from Google Maps) was impressive, too. It looks like this may be the same part of the building as the indoor image above?

9r8HJ3z.jpg

Thanks for the pics of the Leeds City Markets, Barrett. :):thumbsup::cool:
I wonder if "palatial" markets like that are a common feature of European cities? When I visited my daughter in Spain several years ago, there was a large Mercado near her neighborhood in which she often shopped. I went there with her once, and she knew many of the proprietors of the "stalls" within the market "palace". I also remember being impressed with the Mercado in Valencia when we visited that city. Here are photos that Barrett's pics reminded me of. Main entrance to the Valencia Mercado:
3.mercado.entrance.JPG
Part of the ceiling inside, including a central dome:
1.mercado.ceiling.jpg
One of the templos de jamón inside the building:
2.mercado.jamon.jpg

GT, @5k Q’s, I give up. I have been trying all day to figure out how to extract the relevant paragraph from your extended multiquote opus so I could thank you properly for the nomination. I guess I don’t really need the quote; you know what you wrote. So, thank you. Between you and Cello Dan, I feel like I have already won. Putting Jack’s lambsfoot in my pocket would feel pretty good, but it can’t really compare with what the gesture means to me.
You're welcome, @Henry Beige. :)
(As for extracting parts of posts, I think if you highlight a word, sentence, paragraph, a little black icon pops up pointing to the highlighted text and giving you the option to "Reply" immediately in the box for composing posts or to "Quote", adding the selected text to a collection of quotes you're accumulating to insert into a post later.)

"LAMBSFOOT" is relatively new to my vocabulary, even though I have been accumulating cutlery for decades. Digging through my treasures, I have only come upon one specimen worthy of display here. It's a little lacking for condition, but it's long on history: View attachment 1355645
View attachment 1355646
View attachment 1355647
View attachment 1355648
Thanks for watching! T-A
That's a sweet 2-blade lambsfoot knife! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

u6RgMjsh.jpg

Oh, Gee! Original Guardian.
Original Guardian Edition SFO by Jack Black, that is.
Very impressive, Greg! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, GT.
The toy car is a Trabant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant
My guitar is strung juuuust fine, it's all the others that are strung backwards. ;)
Thanks for the helpful (though subjective ;)) info! :):thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians. 1-XL
570D822B-7BD2-4E7D-9142-3A2AB1CFCE52_zps8axvgqu1.jpeg
Splendid, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Union Jack is flying all week:
UJ.mark.Vopen.pumptop.jpg

- GT

I usually get up between 4:30 and 5am, without an alarm. I also like the quiet mornings. But I find that the time between 5am and 8am just flies by! So many things I'd like to do in the early morning, but I rarely accomplish everything I hope to.
I usually get my prep for the day done between 4:30 and 7:00.
Then I just visit the copy machine when I arrive on campus.

I’ve just caught up on the thread, and had time to do some multiquoting this time!

Love the Kipling Cover Chin - kind of a Great traditional styled Tattoo there actually! mmmmm :rolleyes: That Translucent Horn is something else too!

I love that fixed Blade- Lambsfoot Style! - I am going to do something like that one day!
Thanks Duncan! Now that you mention it, I used to work with a bloke who had been in the British Merchant Marine and he had a tatt like that depiction of Bagheera.

That's one way of putting it Chin! :D I don't why they thought a knife that ugly would sell, let alone anything else! o_O I guess that's why they're being flogged off on the bay :rolleyes:

We have the same thing here Chin, with friends slagging each other, often saying the most terrible things! :D :thumbsup:

It's great seeing you here mate, and thanks for the great pics :) :thumbsup:
Good Morning Guardians, I hope that you're all keeping safe and well, what a year this is! :eek: I thought Cambertree Cambertree might like this pic of my Hartshead Barlow ;) :thumbsup:

j3T0q62.jpg
Thanks Jack - that’s a great pic of your Hartshead on a classic piece of O’Neill artwork. Pat Mills and Kevin O’ Neill must be one of the great writer-artist tag teams in British comics. Although O’Neill’s work with Alan Moore was pretty great too.

‘Be Pure - Be Vigilant - Behave!’

Prophetic words for todays modern supervillains from Tomas de Torquemada! I can think of a few who’d like to reintroduce that motto!

Jack, I didn’t have to look too far to find a ‘Lambsfoot and Pho’ pic! It’s definitely one of the things I’ve been missing too.

ePHiU99.jpg

Vietnamese cuisine is quite strongly influenced by the French colonial period. ‘Pho’ is actually derived from ‘Pot au Feu’, the classic, simple French beef stew.

I’ve been lucky to have had good fresh vegies from the garden during the lockdown this year.

eo3ZQUd.jpg

I found it:
20nkUwI.jpg
Thanks Jer. Persistence wins the day! That’s a funny, mordant kind of cartoon too.

Don't tempt me... I've been wanting a side by side or over/under for quite a while. :cool::thumbsup:
Yeah a good double would probably have to be one of the most versatile firearms. I like my over/under Beretta for the interchangeable chokes, and I find it easier to lead with than a side by side. But there’s no question that many of the English makers produced pinnacles of the gunmakers art.

After the end of the deer hunting season each year, one of my friends puts on a BBQ and we shoot some clays.

One of the lads brought his grandfathers W. W. Greener along last year and I introduced it to another quality English piece of kit:

RNx0xdh.jpg

ZjXirpj.jpg

I'm not sure which looks better, the sammich or the Lambsfoot. Both are beautiful. :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks John, they’re very tasty but I can’t eat them too often with all that roast pork and crackling!

Many thanks Chin. Your posts are always a joy.

The following images are a fair representation of my Pére David. The handles are a departure from what I’m used to. The oddness is part of it’s attraction to me. I love the way this knife feels in my grip. As I examine the knife more closely, I notice its’ flaws, but I find it’s overall look and feel more than compensate for any single issue.
Thanks Harvey. You got a very nice one there. I actually quite like those knives which happen to have an asymmetrical palm swell, whether by chance or design.

Morning, Guardians, Pu-erh from my bamboo Yixing pot this morning.

fKLC7rb.jpg
Sounds delicious, Jeff. Nice knife too.

Hi Chin, great to see you post and fantastic photos! Stay safe my friend.
Thanks Mark, I’m glad to hear you’re feeling better.

I think I may have one laying around here somewhere. ;):D
I love how every second person now looks like they’re on the way to bail up the mail coach!

Great to see your posts, Chin!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks Dennis, it’s good to see you, my friend.

Great to see you here again, Chin, and to see some of your fine photos of your laudable lambsfoot knives! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Your characterization of the denizens of The Porch is very accurate, based on my experiences! :)
Thanks GT, it’s always a pleasure to read your posts.

I haven’t forgotten your question about the native flora of Australia, and have accumulated a few pics on the subject by now.

I was interested to see that Jack appears to have a tree fern in his back yard. Here they are in their original environment close by where I live:
LkcD6BC.jpg

Greg @WhittlinAway that discussion on the theme of ‘a Lambsfoot wouldn’t be a Lambsfoot without...’ was very interesting.

Certainly the tapered, straight edged blade with that distinctive angular nose is the most obvious trait.

But for me, I think it has to be the swayback handle as well. I’m sure some will disagree, and of course there are Real Lambsfoot knives with other shapes of handle, but to my mind the quintessential Lambsfoot knife will always have a swayback handle.

HjbBEZ1.jpg

Yesterday we noticed a swarm of bees in one of our crape myrtles. My wife called a local bee keeper who came over and was able to collect these bees along with their queen. He explained that the reason they were there was because their hive was too full and they needed to start a new colony. The bees surrounding the queen were all female and full of honey. The scout bees were out flying around in an attempt to find a place for a new home. :cool:

https://i.imgur.com/qwWG6CD.jpg[/img]']

That's very interesting Les, itinerant bees looking for a new home :) Nice photo of your Lambsfoot too :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack. :)
I was waiting for somebody (Vince) to call me out for referring to Russell as a Super Hero. :D

I thought that might be the case John ;) :D :thumbsup:

Ron mentioned "Bois Durci", which Google tells me means "hardened wood" made of sawdust and BLOOD! :eek: Jack's "compressed fibre" sounds like it could be something similar, if not identical.

From what I have seen of Bois Durci, it is harder, and looks like it would break more easily (though I don't actually know if that is the case) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the pics of the Leeds City Markets, Barrett. :):thumbsup::cool:
I wonder if "palatial" markets like that are a common feature of European cities? When I visited my daughter in Spain several years ago, there was a large Mercado near her neighborhood in which she often shopped. I went there with her once, and she knew many of the proprietors of the "stalls" within the market "palace". I also remember being impressed with the Mercado in Valencia when we visited that city. Here are photos that Barrett's pics reminded me of. Main entrance to the Valencia Mercado:
View attachment 1356280
Part of the ceiling inside, including a central dome:
View attachment 1356278
One of the templos de jamón inside the building:
View attachment 1356279

Impressive Gary, Barcelona has a nice one too. Here, I think markets were often beautifully built, but that changed when many were replaced with ugly utilitarian structures in the 20th century. Not far from Leeds, Halifax Borough Market is quite attractive, but also going into decline sadly :( :thumbsup:

photo0jpg.jpg

halifax_borough_market_arial_view_700.jpg

You're welcome, @Henry Beige. :)
(As for extracting parts of posts, I think if you highlight a word, sentence, paragraph, a little black icon pops up pointing to the highlighted text and giving you the option to "Reply" immediately in the box for composing posts or to "Quote", adding the selected text to a collection of quotes you're accumulating to insert into a post later.)

I never knew that Gary, I've always just cut and pasted! :D :thumbsup:

Union Jack is flying all week:
View attachment 1356286

Excellent pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

I was tempted, but "bit my tongue"!

:D :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack - that’s a great pic of your Hartshead on a classic piece of O’Neill artwork. Pat Mills and Kevin O’ Neill must be one of the great writer-artist tag teams in British comics. Although O’Neill’s work with Alan Moore was pretty great too.

‘Be Pure - Be Vigilant - Behave!’

Prophetic words for todays modern supervillains from Tomas de Torquemada! I can think of a few who’d like to reintroduce that motto!

I thought you'd like that one mate :) Yes indeed! o_O :rolleyes:

TfhTCUn.jpg

Jack, I didn’t have to look too far to find a ‘Lambsfoot and Pho’ pic! It’s definitely one of the things I’ve been missing too.

ePHiU99.jpg

Vietnamese cuisine is quite strongly influenced by the French colonial period. ‘Pho’ is actually derived from ‘Pot au Feu’, the classic, simple French beef stew.

I’ve been lucky to have had good fresh vegies from the garden during the lockdown this year.

eo3ZQUd.jpg

Good man! Cracking photos Chin :) :thumbsup:

One of the lads brought his grandfathers W. W. Greener along last year and I introduced it to another quality English piece of kit:

RNx0xdh.jpg

ZjXirpj.jpg

Fantastic photos :cool: :thumbsup:

I was interested to see that Jack appears to have a tree fern in his back yard. Here they are in their original environment close by where I live:
LkcD6BC.jpg

I came across that on one of my walks mate, but my neighbours have an interesting tree that I should try and get a pic of. Great background there with your Lambsfoot knives, very interesting :) :thumbsup:

Greg @WhittlinAway that discussion on the theme of ‘a Lambsfoot wouldn’t be a Lambsfoot without...’ was very interesting.

Certainly the tapered, straight edged blade with that distinctive angular nose is the most obvious trait.

But for me, I think it has to be the swayback handle as well. I’m sure some will disagree, and of course there are Real Lambsfoot knives with other shapes of handle, but to my mind the quintessential Lambsfoot knife will always have a swayback handle.

HjbBEZ1.jpg

Got to agree with you there Chin, and that's a nice one :) :thumbsup:

I have been working all day, and only got out for a short walk, but I'm knocking off for a pint of my mate's home-brewed bitter now, and put my feet up for the evening :) Tomorrow is my big adventure! Leeds Market is re-opening, and I am going to head down there for some socially-distanced social contact, and maybe even a bowl of pho :) It's the first time I've been into the city centre since mid March, so I'll be filling my bag with all the goodies I can find! :D I also have three packages to send off to the winners of the 2000 Page Giveaway :) Speaking of which, don't forget the other giveaway folks, links in my sig line :thumbsup:

D2pUUsH.jpg

Leeds Market is re-opening, and I am going to head down there for some socially-distanced social contact,
Hooray!
I missed the first outdoor flea market today, but I doubt there was anyone much there, what with the typhoon and the power failures. (Though nowadays we say "power outages" because "power failures" is hurtful to the power companies.)
Rose Beast on wildrag:
3MsghE2.jpg

Fantastic pic Randy! :D :) :thumbsup:

Hooray!
I missed the first outdoor flea market today, but I doubt there was anyone much there, what with the typhoon and the power failures. (Though nowadays we say "power outages" because "power failures" is hurtful to the power companies.)
Rose Beast on wildrag:
3MsghE2.jpg

Thanks mate :) Not sure how it'll be :rolleyes: I thought we might have had some power-cuts (which is what they used to say) here in the early days, but the lights have stayed on, despite the HUGE number of deaths. Nice pic Jer, Rose Beast is looking well, and I like your new wildrag :) :thumbsup:

Sounds like a great adventure, Jack.
As I tell my kids, "Be safe and have lots of fun." :):thumbsup:

Thanks John, we'll see :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Lamb on fire !

geRi9tK.jpg

UwYuNnF.jpg

Stunning pics Dan :cool: :) :thumbsup:

That looks wild Ben! Excellent photo :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, I'm heading for the door! ;) Have a good day folks, and I'll catch up with y'all later :thumbsup:

MbUR4Yi.jpg

Back