Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    That jigged bone WCLF is certainly a good vintage, Taylor! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I should read some of those Father Brown mysteries.
    I'm certainly not becoming quickly proficient at sharpening knives, so I must be learning a LOT! :rolleyes:
    Superb pic of your lambsfoot barlows! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words, Dave. :) And thanks to all the Guardians for always giving me interesting things about which to think! ;):cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack.

I usually get up between 4:30 and 5am, without an alarm. I also like the quiet mornings. But I find that the time between 5am and 8am just flies by! So many things I'd like to do in the early morning, but I rarely accomplish everything I hope to. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the correction, José; I should have known that! :rolleyes:

Prime pair of lambsfoot barlows, José! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

That's what I recall, Jack. :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Congrats on adding another lamb to your flock, Ron; those checkered covers are certainly appealing to me! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Ron mentioned "Bois Durci", which Google tells me means "hardened wood" made of sawdust and BLOOD! :eek: Jack's "compressed fibre" sounds like it could be something similar, if not identical.

Thanks for the pics of the Leeds City Markets, Barrett. :):thumbsup::cool:
    I wonder if "palatial" markets like that are a common feature of European cities? When I visited my daughter in Spain several years ago, there was a large Mercado near her neighborhood in which she often shopped. I went there with her once, and she knew many of the proprietors of the "stalls" within the market "palace". I also remember being impressed with the Mercado in Valencia when we visited that city. Here are photos that Barrett's pics reminded me of. Main entrance to the Valencia Mercado:
    3.mercado.entrance.JPG
    Part of the ceiling inside, including a central dome:
    1.mercado.ceiling.jpg
    One of the templos de jamón inside the building:
    2.mercado.jamon.jpg

You're welcome, @Henry Beige. :)
    (As for extracting parts of posts, I think if you highlight a word, sentence, paragraph, a little black icon pops up pointing to the highlighted text and giving you the option to "Reply" immediately in the box for composing posts or to "Quote", adding the selected text to a collection of quotes you're accumulating to insert into a post later.)

That's a sweet 2-blade lambsfoot knife! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Very impressive, Greg! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the helpful (though subjective ;)) info! :):thumbsup:

Splendid, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Union Jack is flying all week:
    UJ.mark.Vopen.pumptop.jpg

- GT

waynorth, cigarrodog, donn and 13 others like this.
  2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I usually get my prep for the day done between 4:30 and 7:00.
    Then I just visit the copy machine when I arrive on campus.

Jack Black likes this.
  3. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I was tempted, but "bit my tongue"!

Jack Black and JohnDF like this.
  4. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    I’ve just caught up on the thread, and had time to do some multiquoting this time!

Thanks Duncan! Now that you mention it, I used to work with a bloke who had been in the British Merchant Marine and he had a tatt like that depiction of Bagheera.

Thanks Jack - that’s a great pic of your Hartshead on a classic piece of O’Neill artwork. Pat Mills and Kevin O’ Neill must be one of the great writer-artist tag teams in British comics. Although O’Neill’s work with Alan Moore was pretty great too.

‘Be Pure - Be Vigilant - Behave!’

Prophetic words for todays modern supervillains from Tomas de Torquemada! I can think of a few who’d like to reintroduce that motto!

Jack, I didn’t have to look too far to find a ‘Lambsfoot and Pho’ pic! It’s definitely one of the things I’ve been missing too.

[​IMG]

Vietnamese cuisine is quite strongly influenced by the French colonial period. ‘Pho’ is actually derived from ‘Pot au Feu’, the classic, simple French beef stew.

I’ve been lucky to have had good fresh vegies from the garden during the lockdown this year.

[​IMG]

Thanks Jer. Persistence wins the day! That’s a funny, mordant kind of cartoon too.

Yeah a good double would probably have to be one of the most versatile firearms. I like my over/under Beretta for the interchangeable chokes, and I find it easier to lead with than a side by side. But there’s no question that many of the English makers produced pinnacles of the gunmakers art.

After the end of the deer hunting season each year, one of my friends puts on a BBQ and we shoot some clays.

One of the lads brought his grandfathers W. W. Greener along last year and I introduced it to another quality English piece of kit:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks John, they’re very tasty but I can’t eat them too often with all that roast pork and crackling!

Thanks Harvey. You got a very nice one there. I actually quite like those knives which happen to have an asymmetrical palm swell, whether by chance or design.

Sounds delicious, Jeff. Nice knife too.

Thanks Mark, I’m glad to hear you’re feeling better.

I love how every second person now looks like they’re on the way to bail up the mail coach!

Thanks Dennis, it’s good to see you, my friend.

Thanks GT, it’s always a pleasure to read your posts.

I haven’t forgotten your question about the native flora of Australia, and have accumulated a few pics on the subject by now.

I was interested to see that Jack appears to have a tree fern in his back yard. Here they are in their original environment close by where I live:
    [​IMG]

Greg @WhittlinAway that discussion on the theme of ‘a Lambsfoot wouldn’t be a Lambsfoot without...’ was very interesting.

Certainly the tapered, straight edged blade with that distinctive angular nose is the most obvious trait.

But for me, I think it has to be the swayback handle as well. I’m sure some will disagree, and of course there are Real Lambsfoot knives with other shapes of handle, but to my mind the quintessential Lambsfoot knife will always have a swayback handle.

[​IMG]

5. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2019
    Thanks Ron. I appreciate your kind words.:thumbsup:

Half/Stop likes this.
  6. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, Chin, I like a lot of different teas, but I think Pu-erh is my favorite!

Cambertree likes this.
  7. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    That's very interesting Les, itinerant bees looking for a new home :) Nice photo of your Lambsfoot too :thumbsup:

I thought that might be the case John ;) :D :thumbsup:

From what I have seen of Bois Durci, it is harder, and looks like it would break more easily (though I don't actually know if that is the case) :thumbsup:

Impressive Gary, Barcelona has a nice one too. Here, I think markets were often beautifully built, but that changed when many were replaced with ugly utilitarian structures in the 20th century. Not far from Leeds, Halifax Borough Market is quite attractive, but also going into decline sadly :( :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I never knew that Gary, I've always just cut and pasted! :D :thumbsup:

Excellent pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

I thought you'd like that one mate :) Yes indeed! o_O :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Good man! Cracking photos Chin :) :thumbsup:

Fantastic photos :cool: :thumbsup:

I came across that on one of my walks mate, but my neighbours have an interesting tree that I should try and get a pic of. Great background there with your Lambsfoot knives, very interesting :) :thumbsup:

Got to agree with you there Chin, and that's a nice one :) :thumbsup:

cigarrodog, donn, natchezz and 7 others like this.
  8. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I have been working all day, and only got out for a short walk, but I'm knocking off for a pint of my mate's home-brewed bitter now, and put my feet up for the evening :) Tomorrow is my big adventure! Leeds Market is re-opening, and I am going to head down there for some socially-distanced social contact, and maybe even a bowl of pho :) It's the first time I've been into the city centre since mid March, so I'll be filling my bag with all the goodies I can find! :D I also have three packages to send off to the winners of the 2000 Page Giveaway :) Speaking of which, don't forget the other giveaway folks, links in my sig line :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, btb01, cigarrodog and 14 others like this.
  9. K33ncutter

K33ncutter Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Thanks Ron,

I know what you mean but the beekeeper said that they weren’t aggressive at that stage.

It was certainly something different. :)

Half/Stop, JohnDF and Jack Black like this.
  10. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

btb01, cigarrodog, natchezz and 11 others like this.
  11. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Hooray!
    I missed the first outdoor flea market today, but I doubt there was anyone much there, what with the typhoon and the power failures. (Though nowadays we say "power outages" because "power failures" is hurtful to the power companies.)
    Rose Beast on wildrag:
    [​IMG]

cigarrodog, donn, natchezz and 12 others like this.
  12. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Sounds like a great adventure, Jack.
    As I tell my kids, "Be safe and have lots of fun." :):thumbsup:

Cambertree and Jack Black like this.
  13. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Lamb on fire !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cigarrodog, donn, natchezz and 11 others like this.
  14. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks Gary! :)

15. Wild Ben

Wild Ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2016
    It's a jungle out there! IMG_2441.JPG

Cambertree, cigarrodog, WHT and 12 others like this.
  16. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Fantastic pic Randy! :D :) :thumbsup:

Thanks mate :) Not sure how it'll be :rolleyes: I thought we might have had some power-cuts (which is what they used to say) here in the early days, but the lights have stayed on, despite the HUGE number of deaths. Nice pic Jer, Rose Beast is looking well, and I like your new wildrag :) :thumbsup:

Thanks John, we'll see :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Stunning pics Dan :cool: :) :thumbsup:

That looks wild Ben! Excellent photo :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, I'm heading for the door! ;) Have a good day folks, and I'll catch up with y'all later :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, cigarrodog, WHT and 9 others like this.
  17. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Many thanks, John.:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

18. Pt-Luso

Nov 8, 2014
    Many thanks, Gary.:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

19. Pt-Luso

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

cigarrodog, WHT, donn and 6 others like this.
  20. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2019
    Peaches are back in season here. Decided to eat healthy this morning before hitting the links. Took this photo then realized I had an almost identical one from before:D.
    IMG_1216.JPG

[​IMG]