Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Great picture of your ebony Dan:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Hi Guardians :)
j1hHcM2.jpg

Thanks Dennis, appreciate it :thumbsup::thumbsup: Excellent choice of fluid replenishment beverage :thumbsup::thumbsup::)
Wonderful composition, awsome shot, Rob!;)

4zlTQQN.jpg

First one I shot was late 80's I believe, same as you mentioned, standard civilian version of military issued rifles. Really enjoyable to shoot, low recoil rifles are just fun:thumbsup: I never purchased one because it just wasn't a legal caliber for deer in my state, good for smaller varmints but they were not of interest to me. So a couple of years ago I attended a gun show and dropped my name and phone number in the bin for the door prize drawing, I have never won anything in door prizes or raffles, I was very surprised by the phone call to come pick up this rifle:thumbsup: I did spend money on the scope and carrying case but well worth it :)

Yes that dog is very spoiled, him and his litter mate are both rotten:D they are great entertainment for my wife and I :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very nice horn on your lambsfoot for today, always enjoy seeing it:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks David:thumbsup:
Sounds an excellent set up.:thumbsup: The last time I shot an AR15 would of been 1989-1990, in the weeks leading up to the confiscation after they passed the law in 1988 to ban them. It was the civilian equivalent of what the US Army called the M16A2. I was only about 16 at the time, but found it a nice shooting rifle. This was of course before all those fancy rail systems and what not were invented.
P.S. You spoiling your dog. :D

3KMCygS.jpg

Beautiful knife Jack, nice to see it again, love it:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Enjoy the golf Bill:thumbsup: very nice picture :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Good morning Guardians. Heading off to the links this morning. Hope the rain holds off today...at least until the round is finished:D. Will have this one with me today.
View attachment 1369006

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

Pile side on rocks :thumbsup:
DZvleqB.jpg

My flock, L to R:
AdHAt6w.jpg

Wee Sambar (2018)
Hartshead in rosewood (2019)
Guardian in horn (2017)
Guardian in ironwood (2019)
non-sfo in rosewood (can't remember, I'm guessing around 2015-ish)
"Bagpipe Ebony" Big'un (2019)
Cool flock shot, with individual IDs!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Here's my own wee staggy :) :thumbsup:

fkMvSgI.jpg

Great pic of your stag lambsfoot, Jack; it conveys "summer" to me! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Found it in the mailbox when I got home yesterday. :) I have some Kent combs, and told her she should get one of their brushes.
This is one of my most beautiful knives:
i3ZCVGA.jpg

Love that ironwood!
Happy to hear that your overseas mail came in, Vince. :):thumbsup:
Fine pic of your ironwood lambsfoot! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Here's a couple SFOs from Jack Jack Black Jack Black .

Me69gMT.jpg

What a notable pair, ED! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Good day Guardians! It's been awhile since I've posted here, but today's a good day because I've got my AC with me and I had a small adventure....
Thanks for sharing the blueberry & AC adventure, Joshua; I enjoyed the photos! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
Safe (and healthy) travels for you and yours on the Texas/Florida trail!

Those ebony WCLFs sure are elegant, gentlemen!!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I not sure if the African Rosewood SFO has been mentioned.
2GzNl0P.jpg
Splendid knife and photo, Dan! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

It's nice to see Joshua here, but whom are you calling "old", Jack?
:p
I'll gladly wear a shoe that fits me! :D;)

Thanks, Don't feel bad Ron, I have the same problem. Now that you brought it up, it's possible we are now headed into another onslaught of memory loss symbolistic colander pictures.
8DWKukR.jpg
That knife is a knockout, Rob! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
I don't remember if I've ever showed you my colander :D:
hhb2.9.colander.jpg

Have a great weekend, Guardians!
sFev2b3.jpg
I always admire the glowing embers look of your desert ironwood lams foot, Dennis! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Got my Hartshead Barlow and my Charlie Lamb :thumbsup:

4fkbolg.jpg

8RCebmx.jpg
Tough to find a better "two for the road", Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Striking "inner glow" generated by your lambs foot's horn handle, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

LOL! Me, beer, water and not a clue what I'm doing. What could possibly go wrong? :D
:eek::D:D

Here's the barlow Glenn recovered in sawcut bone.
AHXuoEP.jpg
Congrats on the splendid transformation!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Lol... You sound like my students.
Mr. D., when did you start putting the alphabet in math?
About 30 years ago, I was teaching a calculus class in which we explored parabolas, ellipses, hyperbolas and the textbook's notation involved some Greek letters for lengths of major/minor axes, etc. One student suddenly blurted out something like, "I liked math in grade school when we used numbers, but then in high school we had to start using x and y. And now we're using letters from an alphabet I don't even know. Not much fun anymore!"

My whole list is long too.
I break it down into manageable pieces.
For curriculum, it's a chapter a day.

Thank you, GT. :)
At 102 degrees yesterday, I need a little help.
Good plan for your daily to-do lists. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
102 is crazy! :eek: We're supposed to hit low 90s every day this week, and I think that's pretty brutal. (Got groceries at 6am today, took my 6 mile walk at 8:15am.)

Good morning Guardians! We went for our bike ride around the island this morning. I took my Stag big’un for the ride. The weather is great but the haze from the Sahara Dust storm is bad! :( I hope y’all are having a great weekend! :) :thumbsup:
Hope you all have a great time on your trip, Ron! Thanks for the interesting pics! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Figured today would be a good day for the Li'l Lambsfoot, as I'm a li'l embarrassed by how long it's been since I was last here ;)

V3hpLsd.jpg
Welcome back, Mike, and thanks for bringing some tasty grain with you! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Figured I'd fool around with this two-blade this morning

FTB9RfZ.jpg
Thanks for showing the 2-blade, ED! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Hope everyone is having a great day :) My hike wasn't up to much, but I am glad that I got out, it's been a while since I've been within 2-3 miles of my house! The weather was even worse than the forecast, gloomy, and raining mostly...
Great photos of your opportunity to get out in the woods, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Haha, that's funny Gary:thumbsup::):)

I don't know much, posted a little snippet from what I found, sounds like those guys liked the style, possibly reminded them of home:thumbsup:
Thanks for the Hollister, MO info, Rob. :)

In these uncertain times one thing has been made very obvious, with all the lock down rules, you can just get out and go for a walk. It is good for the the mind and soul, it costs you nothing and it just makes you feel better, as a society we were taking so much for granted, and just being able to get out in the fresh air and enjoy what we have around us is one of those things. ...
... I'm a big believer in the power of getting out in the open air, and the wild places (where they can still be found here), it always does me a world of good :) ...
I agree on the myriad benefits of getting out for a walk! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I've been doing a 6-8 mile "march for peace and sanity" every day since mid-March. I don't get out "into the wild" much, it's all urban areas, but I enjoy seeing the various neighborhoods that are within walking distance of me. Lots of diversity in architecture, landscaping, people, income, etc.

Nice pic, Les! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I'm posting a few of pictures of the area I live if not appropriate to post them here I will be glad to take them down just let me know Jack Black Jack Black I don't want to derail this thread.
Thanks for the photos, Randy! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

My plum tree is loaded with ripe fruit, and this week was the time to make jam. I made a batch on Tuesday; today was the second batch. My trusty companion was my ebony Wright. First the plums ready for processing:
6IAXFLw.jpg

And the finished product:
QpmnvOE.jpg

This jam goes very well with stronger flavored bread, like my sourdough rye/wheat. With these two batches I probably have enough to tide me over until next year.
Congrats on getting that plum jam made! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

In 2018, aware that Wright's had managed to obtain a small amount of vintage Sambar stag, I commissioned the 'Ashley's Choice' Lambsfoot SFOs. There was just enough stag to make 28 knives, which were the smaller Lambsfoot size. I gave the cutler the choice between a threaded or fluted bolster, hence the name. For once, everything went right with this run! :)

GdhmigI.jpg

I always am impressed by that photo of the run of ACs! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

About 30 years ago, I was teaching a calculus class in which we explored parabolas, ellipses, hyperbolas and the textbook's notation involved some Greek letters for lengths of major/minor axes, etc. One student suddenly blurted out something like, "I liked math in grade school when we used numbers, but then in high school we had to start using x and y. And now we're using letters from an alphabet I don't even know. Not much fun anymore!"
I could see Greek letter causing my students to run away screaming. :D

Looks like a great trip, Ron, looking good!
Great photo as well!:cool::thumbsup:
Thank you Dennis! Thanks to you and your friends for the great act of generosity for those less fortunate! :) :thumbsup:

Well if there all like that what you showed in your photo it looks great set up.
Thanks David! They are all pretty much like the photos! :) :thumbsup:

Hope you all have a great time on your trip, Ron! Thanks for the interesting pics! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you my friend! I’m happy to share some photos! :) :thumbsup:

Beautiful knife Jack, nice to see it again, love it:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pile side on rocks :thumbsup:
DZvleqB.jpg

Thank you Rob, great to see that pile side, such a cool knife :)

I haven't carried an M16 since about 1980. The best thing about them, for me, was the incredible weight-saving compared to 7.62mm ammunition. Otherwise, it really wasn't my thing. Maybe it'd be different today :thumbsup:

Tough to find a better "two for the road", Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Great photos of your opportunity to get out in the woods, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I agree on the myriad benefits of getting out for a walk! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I've been doing a 6-8 mile "march for peace and sanity" every day since mid-March. I don't get out "into the wild" much, it's all urban areas, but I enjoy seeing the various neighborhoods that are within walking distance of me. Lots of diversity in architecture, landscaping, people, income, etc.

I always am impressed by that photo of the run of ACs! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Thank you very much Gary :) That's great you've still been able to get all those miles in. These past few weeks, I haven't covered a fraction of the miles I was doing before the lockdown I'm afraid :( Here's another pic of those ACs, I'm not sure all the names are still current :thumbsup:

8oY5MGT.jpg

Seems to be a pattern with you lately. :(

Yeah, I'm pretty fed up of it John :) The Royal Mail are bad enough, but they're sub-contracting to courier firms, which a lot of companies use anyway. Couriers like UPS and DHL are just franchises over here, often run part-time out of a corner-shop by some guy who couldn't give two hoots whether he delivers your parcel or not, particularly if it comes from abroad. I usually use a mail box facility, but it's been closed since March, and if I'm not in when/if a courier comes at home, my parcel could get dumped in the street, left in a hedge, taken back to some 'depot' miles from anywhere, or even returned to the sender, as has happened with parcels @Campbellclanman and @herder have sent me over the past couple of months :mad:

By the way, my lambsfoot this week is Cracker Jack:
View attachment 1369068

- GT

Cracker Jack is looking good :) :thumbsup:

Cool flock shot, with individual IDs!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1369068

- GT
Thank you, Gary.
That's a lovely photo; I wish I could go somewhere with water right now. I'll have to settle for playing in the hose sprinkler, like when we were kids. :D
Yeah, I'm pretty fed up of it John :) The Royal Mail are bad enough, but they're sub-contracting to courier firms, which a lot of companies use anyway. Couriers like UPS and DHL are just franchises over here, often run part-time out of a corner-shop by some guy who couldn't give two hoots whether he delivers your parcel or not, particularly if it comes from abroad. I usually use a mail box facility, but it's been closed since March, and if I'm not in when/if a courier comes at home, my parcel could get dumped in the street, left in a hedge, taken back to some 'depot' miles from anywhere, or even returned to the sender, as has happened with parcels @Campbellclanman and @herder have sent me over the past couple of months
Sorry to hear of your mail delivery headaches, Jack. I lease a post office box at an official USPS office They are considered essential and have to stay open. I got it some years back because of the "porch pirates" who have been known to follow delivery trucks through neighborhoods, stealing packages. :mad:

- GT

"Maths" and "fun" are not two words I would normally put in the same sentence. :(

There is an exception for items made before 1947, which are less than 10% ivory, but you'd still need certification (for the piano, not the individual keys ;)). Otherwise, unless it belonged to Beethoven, and it was going to the British Museum, I don't think you'd get it into the country at all! The legislation is among the toughest in the world, and antique dealers recently lost an appeal. Still not illegal to own or display though.

Cool pic :cool: :thumbsup:

Edit - Thought I'd add a pic ;)

6Ljm0EJ.jpg

Aye thanks Jack. I was sort of aware of recent changes to the law but not that proportion of ivory. I have two elephants feet foot stools (big game trophies my grandad acquired when he was stationed in Africa) that I was going to sell, but the CITES regulations made it so damned complicated and expensive I didn't pursue it. I'm wondering if it's legal for me to gift them to somewhere like the Leeds Armoury.
Would you have any links for that case involving the antiques dealers?
Nice pic Jack, always like seeing the Yorkshire Rose. :thumbsup:

donn donn yes a Huntsman...not venomous by Aus standards and may be handled gently if in the right mood by the right kind of nutter.
They do have a savage bite though...bit like a crab nipper...there is a wasp that preys on them but it will drag them back to the nest.
This one was offed by something else...?
Cheers.

Well as it's Australia, that could be anything couldn't it. :D
There's a film with a line that goes something like... "in six days God created Heaven and Earth, and when he came to rest on the the seventh, everything He hadn't finished He just put in Australia". :D

I got bit by a Huntsman once. A small one, not one of the dinner plate ones. Though you must be mad as box of frogs to play with one no matter it's size. :eek:

First one I shot was late 80's I believe, same as you mentioned, standard civilian version of military issued rifles. Really enjoyable to shoot, low recoil rifles are just fun:thumbsup: I never purchased one because it just wasn't a legal caliber for deer in my state, good for smaller varmints but they were not of interest to me. So a couple of years ago I attended a gun show and dropped my name and phone number in the bin for the door prize drawing, I have never won anything in door prizes or raffles, I was very surprised by the phone call to come pick up this rifle:thumbsup: I did spend money on the scope and carrying case but well worth it :)

Now that's the sort of raffle I need to enter. In the UK the prize would be a box of chocolates. Or a food mixer. In the US, it's an AR15.
God Bless America. :D

There is good and bad in everything, David. :p
(Recycled pic)

Aye. In the UK a spider bite can't kill a horse.
In the US you have really fun raffle prizes. :D:thumbsup:
Lovely pic Les.

So Griddle Cakes.
Made to an ancient Anglo-Saxon recipe. These are really nice, but given how much butter went into them you can see how they powered the medieval peasantry.
BMP1DRF.jpg

I'd munched two already then thought "ya know what, these would taste great washed down with a stout".
And ya know what. They were. :thumbsup:
zP9oSjz.jpg

The closest modern equivalent would be the Welsh Cake. There's also something called a Scotch Cake and I believe Eastern European cooking has something similar. There sort of a cross between a pancake and a scone.

Sorry to hear of your mail delivery headaches, Jack. I lease a post office box at an official USPS office They are considered essential and have to stay open. I got it some years back because of the "porch pirates" who have been known to follow delivery trucks through neighborhoods, stealing packages. :mad:

Thanks Rachel, I got my box back when I used to travel a lot. It's in a business centre, but they furloughed mid March! I'm even considering taking legal action :mad: Yeah, I can see that happening here, with 'porch pirates', the couriers are just dumping parcels on the door-step (or worse), even when folks are in! :eek: I've gone out a couple of times, and found packages sitting outside my front door :mad:

Aye thanks Jack. I was sort of aware of recent changes to the law but not that proportion of ivory. I have two elephants feet foot stools (big game trophies my grandad acquired when he was stationed in Africa) that I was going to sell, but the CITES regulations made it so damned complicated and expensive I didn't pursue it. I'm wondering if it's legal for me to gift them to somewhere like the Leeds Armoury.
Would you have any links for that case involving the antiques dealers?
Nice pic Jack, always like seeing the Yorkshire Rose. :thumbsup:

I think it'd be legal, if they wanted them David. Here's a link :thumbsup:

So Griddle Cakes.
Made to an ancient Anglo-Saxon recipe. These are really nice, but given how much butter went into them you can see how they powered the medieval peasantry.
BMP1DRF.jpg

I'd munched two already then thought "ya know what, these would taste great washed down with a stout".
And ya know what. They were. :thumbsup:
zP9oSjz.jpg

The closest modern equivalent would be the Welsh Cake. There's also something called a Scotch Cake and I believe Eastern European cooking has something similar. There sort of a cross between a pancake and a scone.

Good for you David! :D Those look very tasty, as does that stout :) Nice to see your fine golden oxhorn Lambsfoot again too ;) :thumbsup:

might have to spend some time trying to sort that out today o_O My Hartshead Barlow sure has turned me into a dull boy! :rolleyes:
At times, Windows is a gift from the Devil.:eek: The Hartshead is from the Angels.:)

Here's another hot sauce I use quite a bit :thumbsup:
Sriracha rules.

A recycled shot but the one I've got with me today.
Sweet image, David. beautiful haft.

Thought I'd wait for morning light to take my picture.
Beautifully lit image of your Lamb.

Aptly named GT.:thumbsup:

I hope y’all don’t get tired of seeing my PD big’un.
Never.

Good Afternoon Guardians
98927EED-6558-4715-B072-824DF870B867_zpscrnxbqvi.jpeg

Back