Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Dry off, Ed!! Ironwood can vary from plainer than you show, to very wild burls, with very dark feature! I like the no-nonsense straight grain you show!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply Charlie waynorth waynorth . I'm nice and dry now that I've toweled off. It was just that I kept thinking; "Where's the swirl and figuring?" I like the knife very much - well built. Jack Jack Black Jack Black did a good job with these.

Members of the Porch and Guardians!!! It finally happened. I received my Waynorth Lambsfoot yesterday, and it is absolutely perfect in every way. I can’t believe I’m so excited to receive a knife, but WOW, just amazing.
I’m hoping I can now officially be a Guardian and it is not taken lightly. ;)
Here she is in all her glory. :D
View attachment 1423916

Awesome :thumbsup::)
Welcome !!!

Compulsory military service was 18 months in the Army and 2 years in the Navy for those 18 year old men drafted through a lottery system every year.

The army had an early "honorable discharge" at about the one year mark or less for a portion of the year's conscripts.
Only God knows how hard I prayed to be released on this early discharge.

I got drafted right out of high school into an army where corruption and decay had taken it's toll and in the middle of one of the worst financial crisis in Argentina ( a few years later in 1995, things reached a tipping point and compulsory service was abolished after the murder of a conscript and subsequent cover up by a sergeant trying to "toughen him up" with a beating).

On top of that, fear in the military about yet another attack from leftist guerrillas was ever present. A major attack having happened a few weeks prior to my enrollment.

Not everything was bad as I do have memories of good things that happened there, good officers too trying to do their best and that you could trust.
I served with integrity and gave the Army my best.

My parents were already in Canada with my youngest sister escaping the financial disaster. I could not joined them as I was of military age.

My stress was increased as I had objections to carrying weapons.
I requested to serve as a medic which was denied as our company had no medics o_O .
The only other choice I was given was to be a radio operator (however I had to take all the weapons training and carry)
Interestingly enough, the lieutenant in charge of our company selected me to be his radio operator, the other operators went to work with lower ranking officers.

To be considered for early release you had to have perfect conduct and high marks in all the tests and competencies, ... at least that is what they told you.
Alternatively, you could have parents with the connections and means willing to bribe an officer.

Out of 300 plus soldiers I was ranked in the top 30 or so and had zero issues with conduct. The hard part was the points deducted when they did an inventory of your equipment. Steeling was rampant among the soldiers and I could not bring myself to steal back. I had to buy/replace my stolen equipment on the army surplus store when on leave. Luckily I always had all my stuff accounted for every time they did a random inventory.

As the date for the early release approached I was on edge and missed my parents terribly.
A soldier I helped with clerical work told me he was confident he was getting out ,... said something about his father giving a sergeant some turkeys and stuff from the farm.

One day I get called into the lieutenant's office. Inside there is the aforementioned soldier and sergeant . Lieutenant tells us he has a spot for a discharge and needs to decide between us two.
He offered to toss a coin.
I protested and stated I had all the requirements and mentioned how I and my other two sisters needed to join our parents in Canada . ( the other soldier had nothing, he had even backed out of parachute training and worked as a clerk the whole time ).
I could the feel fire in the sergeant gaze staring at me.

The lieutenant was silent for a couple seconds then dismissed us. ( forgive me if I translate military rankings wrong)
I then got sent on an errand and my heart was racing as I knew that they were working on the discharge list.

When I returned the list was posted and my name was on it ... YEAH !!!
( the other soldier, I found out later, was given a "special leave" to go and spend the rest of his "service" at home, then come back for his discharge papers ).

A month later I was in Canada :):):)

And few years later, in a short but very meaningful ceremony, I took and oath and became a subject of the Queen of Canada.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing, Dan.

Jack, nice photos of your HHB and that Napolean pastry (at least that's what it looks like:)) looks awesome:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians and everyone. Going to be a busy week or two and my good luck charm will be with me; my HHB.
View attachment 1423801

Sorry Bill, I think I missed this post earlier :eek: I had to look up, 'Napolean pastry', what a charming name :) I think that's it, but it was actually sold to me as a 'Vanilla Slice', a kind of old-fashioned thing which takes its name from the vanilla custard between the layers of pastry. Mine, however, had double cream substituted for custard, and might, I think have been called a 'Cream Slice', but 'Napoleon pastry' is a far nicer title :) A great shot of your Hartshead Barlow too, hope things don't get TOO busy :) :thumbsup:

You are quiet correct there, when i got mine it was dark to start with and you could not really see the grain stand out, not like some i see posted. But now after being carried and used it has really darkened, looks like just a plain slab of really dark wood now,hope you are keeping well my friend and good to see you.:);):thumbsup:

I consulted L lambertiana about this run. His knowledge of wood is far, far better than mine, and at least as good as anyone else I know. If I remember correctly, he reckoned, based on his experience, that I could expect a third to have good character, a third to have some character, and a third to be pretty plain. Overall, I think we did better than might have been expected, but inevitably the last few were plain, which is why I gave folks a choice. In fact I still have the photos as they were offered :thumbsup:

k7j1YYU.jpg

Last edited:
I consulted L lambertiana about this run. His knowledge of wood is far, far better than mine, and at least as good as anyone else I know. If I remember correctly, he reckoned, based on his experience, that I could expect a third to have good character, a third to have some character, and a third to be pretty plain. Overall, I think we did better than might have been expected, but inevitably the last few were plain, which is why I gave folks a choice. In fact I still have the photos as they were offered :thumbsup:

k7j1YYU.jpg

Thanks for the picture Jack Jack Black Jack Black . I didn't realize how much difference there was between the knives. I might have seen this picture before but just don't remember it.

What do the Guardians think? Is this Ironwood? It's a 2019 Guardians Knife but the grain, figuring, etc. is rather lack luster. I'm wondering if A. Wright didn't slip in some wood other than Ironwood to finish the run for Jack Jack Black Jack Black - something Jack wouldn't notice in a large group of knives. The construction of the knife is very good overall but the wood on it doesn't seem to stand out compared to other 2019 Guardians knives I've seen. Whatever the case, it was/is a great effort by Jack. It kinda reminds me of Cocobolo but then again I'm probably all wet.

mykYW3f.jpg

It looks like ironwood from my chair. I have some pieces of ironwood with large sections that look like this. Does it have any chatoyance in direct sunlight?

You are quiet correct there, when i got mine it was dark to start with and you could not really see the grain stand out, not like some i see posted. But now after being carried and used it has really darkened, looks like just a plain slab of really dark wood now,hope you are keeping well my friend and good to see you.:);):thumbsup:

Yes, like many woods, ironwood will darken with use.

k7j1YYU.jpg

I think we beat the odds, too.

Good evening, Guardians. Finally got a bit of blue sky yesterday - the smoke has largely dissipated, thankfully.

t549g4b.jpg

Last night was the first night with a cigar in a little while. I think I'll have another this evening too.

6PwjLOa.jpg
Finally got a bit of blue sky yesterday - the smoke has largely dissipated, thankfully

Last night was the first night with a cigar in a little while. I think I'll have another this evening too.
:):):):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

A Stack of Jack's Jacks!! Where Jack got Sheffield to do what they were supposed to do, and I shared in the treasures!!:D (He pulled a few teeth I think!!):eek:
The ironwood knife is in the lower right quadrant of that group picture above (post #44404)!:)Jacks Stack 1.jpg

Sorry Bill, I think I missed this post earlier :eek: I had to look up, 'Napolean pastry', what a charming name :) I think that's it, but it was actually sold to me as a 'Vanilla Slice', a kind of old-fashioned thing which takes its name from the vanilla custard between the layers of pastry. Mine, however, had double cream substituted for custard, and might, I think have been called a 'Cream Slice', but 'Napoleon pastry' is a far nicer title :) A great shot of your Hartshead Barlow too, hope things don't get TOO busy :) :thumbsup:

k7j1YYU.jpg
If I had been a member of the Guardians when those knives were "released" I would have definitely ordered one and been very happy with a "plain Jane" example. They are all very nice.

I think we beat the odds, too.

Thank you once again for your advice at the time, and your thoughts now, my friend, it's good to hear you here :) :thumbsup:

Good evening, Guardians. Finally got a bit of blue sky yesterday - the smoke has largely dissipated, thankfully.

t549g4b.jpg

6PwjLOa.jpg

Great photos Dylan, wishing you blue skies from here on in :) :thumbsup:

A Stack of Jack's Jacks!! Where Jack got Sheffield to do what they were supposed to do, and I shared in the treasures!!:D (He pulled a few teeth I think!!):eek:
The ironwood knife is in the lower right quadrant of that group picture above (post #44404)!:)View attachment 1424188

It wasn't easy Charlie! :D Great to see those four together my friend :) :thumbsup:

I spotted it Charlie. A very handsome example.

Here's a few more that were claimed :) :thumbsup:

RjR4bK0.jpg

And a pile side pic :thumbsup:

HL3mqUM.jpg

Back