Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Going in this afternoon for round two with the dentist. Cap fell off. Needs stronger glue I guess. The pages are loading much better this afternoon:)

'Seconds'?! Blimey! :eek: The same thing has happened to me several times Bill, the last time about a year ago, when the dentist tried to charge me twice! o_O I lost a crown right at the beginning of the lockdown here, and am still waiting to have it re-fitted as our dentists have been in hiding since March o_O

Thursday tomorrow, so I'll be off down to the market for what has become one of my few social events of the week :rolleyes: I'll have my Hartshead Barlow along ;) Have a good day Guardians :) :thumbsup:

Mkp4g9U.jpg

'Seconds'?! Blimey! :eek: The same thing has happened to me several times Bill, the last time about a year ago, when the dentist tried to charge me twice! o_O I lost a crown right at the beginning of the lockdown here, and am still waiting to have it re-fitted as our dentists have been in hiding since March o_O

Thursday tomorrow, so I'll be off down to the market for what has become one of my few social events of the week :rolleyes: I'll have my Hartshead Barlow along ;) Have a good day Guardians :) :thumbsup:

Mkp4g9U.jpg

Cool pic :), I like the angle and the ways it shows your HHB :thumbsup:

Like most lads of my generation, I started out with an aluminium Milbro catapult
You were up market, we only had " Shangies " made from a piece of V branch from a tree branch we cut, or if we got really Hi-Tech from a wire coat hanger we pinched from mums wardrobe and formed into a " catapult ".o_O Then we had to scrounge some thick lacquer bands, or pinch some elastic from mums sewing box. So we were forced into " Criminality ":rolleyes: to make a " Shangie ":D

You were up market, we only had " Shangies " made from a piece of V branch from a tree branch we cut, or if we got really Hi-Tech from a wire coat hanger we pinched from mums wardrobe and formed into a " catapult ".o_O Then we had to scrounge some thick lacquer bands, or pinch some elastic from mums sewing box. So we were forced into " Criminality ":rolleyes: to make a " Shangie ":D
You had wire coat hangers?
You were lucky.

I don't know for vintage port, but I like tawny rather than the too-sweet ruby.
5dQvkiK.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of them. The tree produces quite a bit of fruit, we end up giving most of them away.

If you lived closer I'd drop by to take as many as would would give me.

What does it taste like, is there something you can compare it to.?

Ripe fuyu persimmon, which looks like a flattened pumpkin, is really good to eat fresh when fully ripe, the flavor is not like any other fruit. You have to cut the peel off before eating them, hence the need for a lambsfoot. You have to wait until they are fully ripe and starting to soften, and then they are really good and sweet.

The other types of persimmon (like hachiya) which are longer and shaped more like an apple with a pointed bottom, are not good to eat fresh and are used in baking.

Persimmon is a true ebony (diospyros), and other true ebonies have similar fruit. My wife grew up in the Philippines, and there they ate the fruit of Philippine ebony (kamagong tree), and the fruit is called mabolo. It has never been in season when I have been there, so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I had to settle for fresh tree-ripened mango, papaya, passionfruit, etc.

The jam has a very pleasant but subtle flavor. The nearest common jam would be apricot, but they are not very similar. I decided to make jam one year when my sister-in-law gave us a big bag of persimmons, and now that my wife has made it clear that it is her favorite jam, whenever I get a bag of persimmons I make jam.

If you lived closer I'd drop by to take as many as would would give me.

Ripe fuyu persimmon, which looks like a flattened pumpkin, is really good to eat fresh when fully ripe, the flavor is not like any other fruit. You have to cut the peel off before eating them, hence the need for a lambsfoot. You have to wait until they are fully ripe and starting to soften, and then they are really good and sweet.

The other types of persimmon (like hachiya) which are longer and shaped more like an apple with a pointed bottom, are not good to eat fresh and are used in baking.

Persimmon is a true ebony (diospyros), and other true ebonies have similar fruit. My wife grew up in the Philippines, and there they ate the fruit of Philippine ebony (kamagong tree), and the fruit is called mabolo. It has never been in season when I have been there, so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I had to settle for fresh tree-ripened mango, papaya, passionfruit, etc.

The jam has a very pleasant but subtle flavor. The nearest common jam would be apricot, but they are not very similar. I decided to make jam one year when my sister-in-law gave us a big bag of persimmons, and now that my wife has made it clear that it is her favorite jam, whenever I get a bag of persimmons I make jam.
I am sure i would like the jam, apricot jam is my favorite, my grandmother used to make the best apricot jam, so i am pretty sure i would like your Persimmon jam. Thanks for the info.:cool::cool::cool:

I’ve come to the conclusion that Rosewood doesn’t show up that well on Walnut
That is a gorgeous Rosewood Ron. You have such fine stock in your stable of Lambs.

Hartshead Barlow while picking persimmons.
Very cool photo. We have a couple of trees that are so loaded every year the weight of the fruit bends them toward the ground. EXCEPT this year. - Not one persimmon on either tree. Also no acorns and no hickory nuts. The squirrels have to depend on me this winter looks like.

What does it taste like, is there something you can compare it to.?
Leon I will say they are absolutely delicious when completely ripe. Lambertiana's erudite (as always) post was very informative for me and most interesting. If the fruit is still even slightly green a mere "touching of the tongue" to it will turn your taste buds inside out with a bitterness you will not soon forget.:eek::D

It certainly flies Ron! :D I've barely stopped this week, and I'd struggle to name 5 things I'd done! :rolleyes: Thanks my friend, you too :) Great to see the pile side of your DamLamb, that's some nice Ironwood :) :thumbsup:

Good to see you here Chuck, I hope things ease up with work soon :thumbsup:

They're usually sold here as 'Sharon Fruit' I think David, though apparently that is just a marketing name for a particular variety :thumbsup:

I'll join you in a drop of Nelson's Blood later mate ;) :thumbsup:

mWqDSSM.jpg

When you're next out in Derbyshire, there's a whole load of easy Nelson-themed climbing routs on Birchen's Edge, where there is also a Nelson monument :thumbsup:
I LOVE THIS PHOTO JACK! :):):):)

IMG_6957.jpeg

Like most lads of my generation, I started out with an aluminium Milbro catapult. Mine was given to me by by grandfather, but it had previously belonged to my uncle, and possibly my dad. The original is lost in the mists of time, but the original moulds have recently been used to cast new ones. Mine arrived today, with a set of square bands, which aren't worth tuppence :rolleyes:

aYiGIbq.jpg

I cut them off, and fitted them with a good quality traditional square set. They work OK, but I'll probably fit them with flat-bands eventually. I don't really need rubber this heavy, and it's kind of slow compared to the more modern stuff :thumbsup:

lhgCWmJ.jpg

Great one Jack. I like the retro square bands. :D

I have some nice Port!

Ahhh it's a pity you didn't get an invite to the British Embassy then as I believe British Ambassadors host annual Trafalgar Day receptions at our embassies.

Tracing the steps of Jack the Ripper today.
TGDVN5w.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_the_Ripper

Cool pic :), I like the angle and the ways it shows your HHB :thumbsup:

Thank you kindly Dan :) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D When my grandfather gave me the Milbro, I saw a look cross my uncle's face momentarily (he would have only been 17 or 18 at the time), "I've been robbed!" :D :thumbsup:

Here’s to Admiral Nelson.
b75nfTF.jpg

Cheers Dave :) :thumbsup:

You had wire coat hangers?
You were lucky.

I don't know for vintage port, but I like tawny rather than the too-sweet ruby.
5dQvkiK.jpg

LOL :D I like tawny too, but I wouldn't drink ruby. When I was young, and first started drinking in pubs, you'd sometimes see old ladies drinking ruby port, with lemon, poured from a bottle first-opened when they were teenagers :rolleyes: Ugh! :p

That's fascinating, you are very knowledgeable my friend. I can remember trying to describe the flavour to friends who had never even seen the fruit, when I returned from my time in the Middle East. It was made all the harder by the fact I didn't know the English name! :rolleyes: When they became available here in the 1980's, I used to buy then, but remember once having one with a very unpleasant taste. I haven't had one for years :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Dwight, it was very quickly put together, I just ran round the house grabbing naval-related items! :D Fantastic shot my friend, great tones :) :thumbsup:

From 2017 this one is Special! Midnight Special to be exact! ;) Y’all be careful out there! :) :thumbsup:

49865745573_eaa1e5c28d_c_d.jpg

Very special indeed Ron :) Not many knives have their own song ;) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians
View attachment 1441602

Good morning Guardians

A classic treat with your Lambsfoot Chuck, great pic :) :thumbsup:

Great one Jack. I like the retro square bands. :D

Ahhh it's a pity you didn't get an invite to the British Embassy then as I believe British Ambassadors host annual Trafalgar Day receptions at our embassies.

Tracing the steps of Jack the Ripper today.
TGDVN5w.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_the_Ripper

Thanks mate, they probably weigh more than the frame! :rolleyes: Interesting composition David, watch out for pea-soupers! ;) :thumbsup:

My day today was going well until I got back from the market, went back out to bring the emptied bins in, and locked myself out. I went all the way back into town, got my set of spare keys from my girlfriend, and then one of them wouldn't fit in the lock! o_O If I can stay awake long enough, I'll be having a beer tonight I think! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

izM4shD.jpg

Thank you kindly Dan :) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D When my grandfather gave me the Milbro, I saw a look cross my uncle's face momentarily (he would have only been 17 or 18 at the time), "I've been robbed!" :D :thumbsup:

Cheers Dave :) :thumbsup:

LOL :D I like tawny too, but I wouldn't drink ruby. When I was young, and first started drinking in pubs, you'd sometimes see old ladies drinking ruby port, with lemon, poured from a bottle first-opened when they were teenagers :rolleyes: Ugh! :p

That's fascinating, you are very knowledgeable my friend. I can remember trying to describe the flavour to friends who had never even seen the fruit, when I returned from my time in the Middle East. It was made all the harder by the fact I didn't know the English name! :rolleyes: When they became available here in the 1980's, I used to buy then, but remember once having one with a very unpleasant taste. I haven't had one for years :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Dwight, it was very quickly put together, I just ran round the house grabbing naval-related items! :D Fantastic shot my friend, great tones :) :thumbsup:

A classic treat with your Lambsfoot Chuck, great pic :) :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, they probably weigh more than the frame! :rolleyes: Interesting composition David, watch out for pea-soupers! ;) :thumbsup:

My day today was going well until I got back from the market, went back out to bring the emptied bins in, and locked myself out. I went all the way back into town, got my set of spare keys from my girlfriend, and then one of them wouldn't fit in the lock! o_O If I can stay awake long enough, I'll be having a beer tonight I think! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

izM4shD.jpg
Cool hatchet!

izM4shD.jpg
Thanks Jack! Sorry about your troubles today hope everything is smoother now! :) :thumbsup:

Good evening, hope you have all had a good week, i need some advise, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that have an abundance of information. I found these spanners in some rubbish that someone was throwing out, they are really good spanners and to my eye are of a really good quality. I have never heard of the maker and could find nothing on Dr. Google about them, they are NTK made in japan, i know nothing of Japanese made tools, did not even know they made tools. If anyone knows any thing would be greatly appreciated, no big deal just curious.

v4eHpN6.jpg

akxNSp6.jpg

rGYuJXO.jpg

Hope everyone has a good weekend, and take care.:)

Last edited:

Another splendid photo Dan :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! Sorry about your troubles today hope everything is smoother now! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron, things got easier once I went to sleep! :D Hoping for an easier day today :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

rGYuJXO.jpg

Hope everyone has a good weekend, and take care.:)

There seems to be plenty of other examples referenced on the net. I've not come across them before myself :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, hope everyone has had a reasonable week. The weather forecast is heavy rain for tomorrow here, so I may have to re-think my hike. Had a busy week, and I've plenty to do do today too. Have a great Friday Guardians, the weekend is nearly here ;) :thumbsup:

SOHsHAa.jpg

Back