Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Thank you very much Ron, I took that photo about 20 miles away from where I live, but I doubt I'll be able to get over that way this year :( I have an enduring fondness for the ACs, not least since, compared to my other SFOs, they were relatively straightforward to get made :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

What a babe! :D :) :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack! :thumbsup: That’s a shame about the travel Jack! :( I’m sure the AC’s are a favorite of all of us that were fortunate to acquire them. Stay safe my friend! :) :thumbsup:

Like most lads of my generation, I started out with an aluminium Milbro catapult. Mine was given to me by by grandfather, but it had previously belonged to my uncle, and possibly my dad. The original is lost in the mists of time, but the original moulds have recently been used to cast new ones. Mine arrived today, with a set of square bands, which aren't worth tuppence :rolleyes:

aYiGIbq.jpg

I cut them off, and fitted them with a good quality traditional square set. They work OK, but I'll probably fit them with flat-bands eventually. I don't really need rubber this heavy, and it's kind of slow compared to the more modern stuff :thumbsup:

lhgCWmJ.jpg

I was using clay balls Dwight, mud essentially! :D

EER8h4o.jpg

They don't shoot as well as steel, but I don't like to clutter up the countryside, and the clay balls partially fragment into dust on hitting the target, and are gone with the first rain or morning dew. Also leave a mark, so you can see how you're shooting :thumbsup:

L2JkSOc.jpg

I’ve been enjoying your catapult/slingshot posts lately, Jack. :thumbsup: I haven’t had one since I was a kid, but I did have my BB gun out recently, plinking some cans in the yard. It’s a bit big for Eleanor still, but I showed her how it works and let her pull the trigger a few times. :D

I don't know for vintage port, but I like tawny rather than the too-sweet ruby.
5dQvkiK.jpg

LOL :D I like tawny too, but I wouldn't drink ruby. When I was young, and first started drinking in pubs, you'd sometimes see old ladies drinking ruby port, with lemon, poured from a bottle first-opened when they were teenagers :rolleyes: Ugh! :p

I’ve only ever had port once. Or maybe it was sherry. Well, I’ve only ever had port or sherry once. Obviously it made a big impression. :D

To be fair, I believe whatever it was had been a gift from an old coworker with somewhat dubious taste in alcoholic beverages. I’m certain it wasn’t “the good stuff.” ;) :D

Thanks for the kind words Dwight! The same can certainly be said about you my friend! :) :thumbsup:

From 2017 this one is Special! Midnight Special to be exact! ;) Y’all be careful out there! :) :thumbsup:

49865745573_eaa1e5c28d_c_d.jpg

That’s a fine looking Lambsfoot, Ron. Love that song! :D

Here’s a pared-down version that I enjoy.

A few pics from my walk out in the woods today :) Seemed the best place to stay out of the rain showers, and we were home by the time it really came down ;) :thumbsup:

nMQx5kz.jpg

MqP7WWd.jpg

oP7xLa8.jpg

Had a break for some slingshot practice ;)

1jPx9MZ.jpg

0ItD888.jpg

We were joined by a mother and her kids. Nice to see young 'uns out in the woods, but after 30 minutes of them playing around directly behind my target, it was time to move on. There's only 700 acres of woodland there, so bound to get crowded right?! :rolleyes:

XZqEt3c.jpg

gXKLU81.jpg

NkI2RfG.jpg

Great photos of your walk, Jack! :thumbsup:

I've posted pics of this spring the last time I was in these woods.

mreBT4v.jpg

2pnwTrZ.jpg

This spring is known as Dog's Mouth Spring, but the reason for the name is even less obvious than it was in the past. Not sure what kind of dog that was supposed to be :rolleyes:

I don’t know about a dog’s mouth, but if you stuck a tail on it… :eek: :D

Actually, after a second look, I suppose I can see the how it looks a bit like a dog’s snout. There are some faint nose-shaped markings at the top, and if you imagine it with jowls like a bloodhound, it’s not entirely implausible.

Jack, fantastic outdoor pictures along with the lambsfoot models and slingshots shown in great action.

Dwight, nice to hear that Gage has a cornerback position. High school football just recently started back up around here, then 7 inches of snow in one day last week put a hold on that...

"You can take my planet, but never my Hartshead Barlow" :)

View attachment 1443577

Hey, at least it’s supposed to “warm” up a bit this week. :D I need the rest of this snow to melt so I can deal with leaves. :confused: After that it can snow all it wants.

Cool photo of your Hartshead Barlow! :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians.
The Waynorth Lamb helped me prepare a snack yesterday.
50532161238_085a374198_h.jpg

annnd here is one from Friday ( I think )
50516487376_8cab5b90ca_h.jpg

Not sure if I posted this one of Betty already. I'm not doing so good with keeping up on the forum lately. :(
50498976206_b37e834b95_h.jpg

Have a great week y'all.

Great photos! :thumbsup:

It’ll have to be a recycled photo for me today; I’ve been neglectful in my Guardian duties lately. :confused:

zYsS1Gp.jpg

Good morning Guardians.
The Waynorth Lamb helped me prepare a snack yesterday.
50532161238_085a374198_h.jpg

annnd here is one from Friday ( I think )
50516487376_8cab5b90ca_h.jpg

Not sure if I posted this one of Betty already. I'm not doing so good with keeping up on the forum lately. :(
50498976206_b37e834b95_h.jpg

Have a great week y'all.

Looks like a tasty snack Kevin, and three great pics my friend :) :thumbsup:

It's finally starting to feel like Fall here. :thumbsup: Here's a picture I took on a semi-sober walk with my brothers last Thanksgiving:
cqZbj1K.jpg

It's time to get ready for a very stressful week or two in the good old U S of A...

Rose of Sharon?

Wow, have you had that knife since last Thanksgiving?! :eek: :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! :thumbsup: That’s a shame about the travel Jack! :( I’m sure the AC’s are a favorite of all of us that were fortunate to acquire them. Stay safe my friend! :) :thumbsup:

I've been getting out Ron, and have certainly discovered a lot of new local walks, since I am unable to go further afield. Thanks pal :) :thumbsup:

I've just had a delivery of 13 cases of beer, so that's my work-out for the week! :rolleyes:

I’ve been enjoying your catapult/slingshot posts lately, Jack. :thumbsup: I haven’t had one since I was a kid, but I did have my BB gun out recently, plinking some cans in the yard. It’s a bit big for Eleanor still, but I showed her how it works and let her pull the trigger a few times. :D

Thanks Barrett, I've just been messing around changing band-sets, and sorting out some fibre-optic sights, which I don't intend to use! :D My AC helped out :) That sounds fun my friend, I suspect someone would call the cops if I got seen with a BB gun o_O Good for Eleanor :) :thumbsup:

I’ve only ever had port once. Or maybe it was sherry. Well, I’ve only ever had port or sherry once. Obviously it made a big impression. :D

To be fair, I believe whatever it was had been a gift from an old coworker with somewhat dubious taste in alcoholic beverages. I’m certain it wasn’t “the good stuff.” ;) :D

LOL! :D I cook with sherry, but I don't even like the good stuff :rolleyes:

I think he sang that when I saw him in Leeds Barrett :) :thumbsup:

Great photos of your walk, Jack! :thumbsup:

I don’t know about a dog’s mouth, but if you stuck a tail on it… :eek: :D

Actually, after a second look, I suppose I can see the how it looks a bit like a dog’s snout. There are some faint nose-shaped markings at the top, and if you imagine it with jowls like a bloodhound, it’s not entirely implausible.

Thanks pal, I imagine that the sculptor didn't have a rosy future based on that example of their work :rolleyes: :D Apparently, it dates back to the early 19th century, and there was originally a copper cup mounted on a chain above the 'dog's head :thumbsup:

It’ll have to be a recycled photo for me today; I’ve been neglectful in my Guardian duties lately. :confused:

zYsS1Gp.jpg

It's good to see you here Barrett :) :thumbsup:

That’s a fine looking Lambsfoot, Ron. Love that song! :D

zYsS1Gp.jpg
Thanks for the compliment Barrett! I enjoyed the version of Midnight Special from your link. It’s great to see you and your Hartshead here my friend! :) :thumbsup:

I've been getting out Ron, and have certainly discovered a lot of new local walks, since I am unable to go further afield. Thanks pal :) :thumbsup:

I've just had a delivery of 13 cases of beer, so that's my work-out for the week! :rolleyes:
It’s great to see your photos Jack! :thumbsup: I’m thankful you’re in an area where you can safely enjoy the many miles of outdoor trails and all the lovely surrounding areas. :cool: Whew! :eek: Thirteen cases would be a good workout! ;)

It’s great to see your photos Jack! :thumbsup: I’m thankful you’re in an area where you can safely enjoy the many miles of outdoor trails and all the lovely surrounding areas. :cool: Whew! :eek: Thirteen cases would be a good workout! ;)

Thank you Ron, I thank heavens for the Ordnance Survey and their wonderful maps! :D :thumbsup:

Since the end of October last year. I wish I could say it feels like 2020 has flown by. :rolleyes:

Certainly hasn't been a good year for any of us has it :( Still, it really doesn't seem like a year since I sent that knife, I was thinking it was earlier THIS year! :D :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

I'm not the only one to lose track of time it seems. A friend ordered this book for my birthday in March - it just arrived! o_O Thought it might be of interest to our resident cowboys :) :thumbsup:

AC Lambsfoot 33-1.JPG

Hi Guardians, just out of the oven.
Trying new addition to my sourdough.
Today it is peanut butter, apples, rolled oats and a touch of maple syrup.

hLZYCHq.jpg

You're making me hungry Dan! And I've only just eaten! :D :thumbsup:

Yes we did a couple times which finished killing off our front yard flower garden so my wife and the girls prepared it for winter with mulch, pulling out all the dead flowers etc.

No white stuff yet :D

I do feel for my brother @Crazy Canuck in Alberta

Check this out :eek:

Crikey! That looks cold.
There's a video on youtube today which I didn't actually watch about really cold weather in the U.S mid-west? It's just wet and windy in the UK. Which is normal really. :rolleyes:

f9hVs5ol.jpg

Good morning Guardians, I'm back with my Hartshead Barlow today. Miserable weather here again, with more rain forecast. Hoping it'll stop this evening, so I can have a few socially-distanced beers with my mate round the fire-pit. I also have to go into town today to go to the post office. At one time I just had to go to the bottom of my street for that o_O Have a good day folks :thumbsup:

PbeiHZw.jpg

Good morning Guardians! :thumbsup: Inspired by all the nice photos yesterday, I'm carrying my Ashley's Choice today. I hope y'all have a safe and productive day! :) :thumbsup:

50536449402_d4f63e2b57_o.jpg

Great to see your AC Ron :) :thumbsup:

I just got back from my trip to town. It's still pretty miserable here, but I might go out and do some work in the garden after I've a cuppa and a piece of cake :) :thumbsup:

Yz8O0Sm.jpg

I wonder how our friend Harvey @cigarrodog is doing, I don't recall seeing him here for a while :( Sure hope he's doing OK :thumbsup: Few other absent Guardians too, hope they're all doing well. @mitch4ging , you're due a check-in Dennis ;) :thumbsup:

Cold, miserable, rainy day here, but I've been hoping to hook up with a pal down the road for a few beers round the fire-pit. We're just swapping weather forecasts! :D It's 5.00pm here, and it stopped raining about 20 minutes ago, so maybe, By the time he puts the kids to bed, we can go and freeze our butts off in the garden :rolleyes:

8vx1tje.jpg

Great to see your AC Ron :) :thumbsup:

I just got back from my trip to town. It's still pretty miserable here, but I might go out and do some work in the garden after I've a cuppa and a piece of cake :) :thumbsup:

Yz8O0Sm.jpg

I wonder how our friend Harvey @cigarrodog is doing, I don't recall seeing him here for a while :( Sure hope he's doing OK :thumbsup: Few other absent Guardians too, hope they're all doing well. @mitch4ging , you're due a check-in Dennis ;) :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack! Love the AC’s my friend! The cake looks good! I’ve noticed Harvey and Dennis both missing. Our pal Stuart @Duckdog is missing also. I talked with him a couple of months back so I’m going to have to call him and check to see how he’s getting along. Enjoy the fire pit my friend! :thumbsup: :)

Back