Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

We left on the 18th to go camping for two weeks. A real mix of weather, cool and cloudy, then ~89" and humid, and finally a couple of nice days, all in the first week. Then the forecast looked ugly for week two, so we came home last Sunday. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday was nothing but cold weather and ice storm! A lot of trees and limbs came down, and a lot of folks lost power, and still quite a few still out. We had a 5kw generator ready to go, but we didn't need it, so we took it to a young couple we know who have two young ones, they are still using it.
So we've been doing lots of cleanup, probably will be helping out some that are elderly or who don't have a chainsaw.

Henry ready to go!
KLDbIYL.jpg

Campsite set up.
duA4P7z.jpg

The little trailer our son made, it's maiden voyage.
GlqaWZP.jpg

HpYbC1e.jpg

e0Ds3hC.jpg

Little walks we took...
pLqeYYm.jpg
1kjDbW3.jpg

Big'un hanging around...
tO0Pnzc.jpg
Refreshments, then a fire.
4ZYmoxR.jpg

WSIeosI.gifv

EV3xVPP.jpg

Have a great Sunday!

Great pics Dennis !
I wanted to know your dog's name so I zoomed in his pic like up to 250 % but still no luck .... then I read one line above and it says " Henry" right there :D. ( I have to work on my reading comprehension skill lol )
I am sure Henry is a great companion :)

Howdy all!!
Back in the saddle again. Been an interesting couple of weeks! :confused:

Rosie is looking great, Ron!:thumbsup:
Glad Zeta didn't hit you guys too hard! The gulf coast has had a bad season of hurricanes this year!:(

Ummp! Love the ebony, Ron!;):thumbsup:
It’s great to see you back Dennis! :thumbsup: Thank you for the compliments and thanks for all those great camping photos! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron, one of them is made from a fork I took from a branch of this old ash tree :)

g8QzYbx.jpg

It's a confusing situation here o_O Leeds is currently subject to what they're calling "Tier 2" restrictions", but was due to go into "Tier 3" on Monday. That's now been cancelled, and we'll remain in Tier 2 until Thursday, when we'll go into a "national lockdown", though that varies significantly from the previous "national lockdown", and there are different restrictions in England to Scotland and Wales, for example. I doubt one person in 20 understands what they are and aren't supposed to do o_O Thanks my friend, I'll try :) :thumbsup:

I always worry about our old regulars, and it's great when they call in, but it must be over a year since Dave DC50 was last here, and he's no longer even a member :( The last time I heard from Dave, he and his wife were both expecting test results, and were worried about them. That's not something I've previously shared here, since it was private, but now seems the right time to. I hope that both of them are well, and enjoying life. And that Dave has a Lambsfoot in his pocket :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, what a photographic feast to wake up to today! :) I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend :) I was expecting a grocery delivery this morning, but they've managed to cock it up o_O Don't worry, I won't starve! ;) No exciting Halloween stories I'm afraid, but I did visit a few spirits ;) Have a good day Guardians :) :thumbsup:

Thought I'd carry some Damascus today :) :thumbsup:

6QDua3a.jpg
That’s a beautiful old tree Jack! I’m sorry to hear about the lockdown my friend! I’m afraid another lockdown is coming here again soon. :( That’s a great photo of a beautiful Lambsfoot! Stay safe my friends wherever you’re at! :) :thumbsup:

I carried it for a week when it first came in, and a couple times since. I do like the blade shape and overall feel of the knife in hand. Rather disappointed in the edge retention though. To the point I question the heat treat.

That's disappointing to hear Dave :( The steel is C70, and generally good, but Wright's QC is variable at best. The problem may be with the HT, but it could be that the 'cutler' burned the edge, and so you may find that taking some steel off the edge by sharpening it a few times gets you down to some better steel. Not something you should have to do of course, but others have reported the same, and that this helps. There may even be entries about the matter in the thread index
I'll agree with the suggestion to use and sharpen your lambsfoot a few times, and see if that doesn't improve the edge retention. No guarantees that yours wasn't poorly treated, but as Jack said, it's possible that just the edge was overheated by factory sharpening.
My first lambsfoot was a large in rosewood, and I wasn't impressed with the steel. When Jack started this thread, I pulled it out of the knife drawer and gave it another try. Once I'd sharpened it enough to get to the "good meat" I'm quite pleased with it. Bear in mind, if you're used to harder modern "super steels" you might still not be impressed, but I find it perfectly serviceable for regular use.
gZ7Lvfp.jpg

That’s a beautiful old tree Jack! I’m sorry to hear about the lockdown my friend! I’m afraid another lockdown is coming here again soon. :( That’s a great photo of a beautiful Lambsfoot! Stay safe my friends wherever you’re at! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron, I reckon it's been there a good while, and is certainly a hardy old tree :) It stands very close to one of the past entrances to Rougemont Castle, though I don't think it's THAT old! :D :thumbsup:

YjqnpNV.jpg

I would feel better about the lockdown if I had any confidence it would work, but with the schools, colleges, and universities still open, along with many workplaces, I'm not sure it will make a huge difference. Only a couple of months ago, we were being ordered to go out and shop again, and to 'Eat out to help out' in pubs and restaurants (with the taxpayer footing half the bill). Now they're shutting the pubs and restaurants again. It looks like this situation is going to continue well into next year for all of us my friend :( Stay safe :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! I pray y’all can remain vigilant against the virus. I know we’re going to continue to do all we can here. I’m carrying my Rosewood Hartshead this morning! :) :thumbsup:

49753119882_b012580558_c_d.jpg

Nice to see that one Ron :) :thumbsup:

I'll agree with the suggestion to use and sharpen your lambsfoot a few times, and see if that doesn't improve the edge retention. No guarantees that yours wasn't poorly treated, but as Jack said, it's possible that just the edge was overheated by factory sharpening.
My first lambsfoot was a large in rosewood, and I wasn't impressed with the steel. When Jack started this thread, I pulled it out of the knife drawer and gave it another try. Once I'd sharpened it enough to get to the "good meat" I'm quite pleased with it. Bear in mind, if you're used to harder modern "super steels" you might still not be impressed, but I find it perfectly serviceable for regular use.
gZ7Lvfp.jpg

Yes, C70 is similar to 1075 I think, so far from top notch, but I have got used to it, and find it OK. I did have various discussions with Wright's about upgrading their steel and HT, but penny-pinching always comes first (as it probably does for most of their customers). Not that either of these things matters much when they let mediocre workmen loose on the knives, and when their QC is so poor (see 'edge' below from a sample knife I rejected at the beginning of the year) :( Glad you gave yours a second go Rachel ;) :thumbsup:

GG6T6X8.jpg

So we've been doing lots of cleanup, probably will be helping out some that are elderly or who don't have a chainsaw.

Henry ready to go!
You're a good man, that is the the sort of thing that makes neighborhoods and streets, communities, like it was when i was growing up, with everyone looking out for one another. And Henry looks cool.:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::) Have a good week my friend.;)

I doubt one person in 20 understands what they are and aren't supposed to do
o_O:confused: That one person should be an elected official { see what i did there, didn't mention politics :D } because they do not live in the real world like the rest of us, and are out of touch with reality. They could put a new description in all English dictionaries from now on. Confusion- Covid or Corona Virus.:confused::confused::confused::D.
All Guardians, please take care and stay safe this week, with lockdowns and an election could be a volatile week everywhere.:):):)

Last edited:
o_O:confused: That one person should be an elected official { see what i did there, didn't mention politics :D } because they do not live in the real world like the rest of us, and are out of touch with reality. They could put a new description i all English dictionaries from now on. Confusion- Covid or Corona Virus.:confused::confused::confused::D.
All Guardians, please take care and stay safe this week, with lockdowns and an election could be a volatile week everywhere.:):):)

:eek: :eek: :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

Hi Guardians :)
Baking extra loaves today as we want to share with some friends.
I have not told them yet, lol , as sourdough can be tricky and you never know until you open the oven if you got a pancake or a beautiful tall loaf
These are 3 pumpkin and 3 olive/garlic/feta cheese.
PLR2VnD.jpg

I have not told them yet, lol , as sourdough can be tricky and you never know until you open the oven if you got a pancake or a beautiful tall loaf
PLR2VnD.jpg

Looks like your friends are going to be thrilled Dan, that's a very kind gesture :) :thumbsup:

PLR2VnD.jpg
I think I did tell you about going down the sourdough rabbit hole!
[PS can you send me the formula for the pumpkin loaves?]
Thanks!

I always worry about our old regulars, and it's great when they call in, but it must be over a year since Dave DC50 was last here, and he's no longer even a member :( The last time I heard from Dave, he and his wife were both expecting test results, and were worried about them. That's not something I've previously shared here, since it was private, but now seems the right time to. I hope that both of them are well, and enjoying life. And that Dave has a Lambsfoot in his pocket :thumbsup:
Sad to read that about Dave, Jack.:(
Speaking of "old regulars", I've come crawling back after not posting in this thread during August, September, and October! :eek: I've been keeping up with the thread by reading it most days during that time, but I just had my "Mute" button on. :rolleyes:

I still don't have a lot to say, but I picked some semi-random posts that I thought were interesting from my hiatus to respond to below.

Good Morning Guardians
I'm taking Skoll out for his weekly walk...
I was surprised to see that this post from early August was the next to last one that John posted in the Guardians thread! Of course, he had a lengthy experience carrying the same non-lambsfoot knife every day for about 6 weeks. I also noticed that Harvey @cigarrodog hasn't posted here or anywhere on BF since about the end of July.

Dwight, it's wonderful to see that you've returned during my posting absence!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I'm enjoying all your grand lambsfoot knives and the amazing photos of them you've been posting. I wanted to single out this photo because it put me into a time machine! ;) I put in a lot of hours on a Farmall H just like that when I was a kid. For many years back on the farm, our "big" tractor was a Farmall M (eventually replaced by a Case 630 when I got into high school I think) that was used for mowing hay, towing the baler and wagon, planting corn, picking corn. I often drove the H for raking hay, transporting loads of bales back to the barn where a brother and I put them up in the barn, then returned the empty wagons to the hayfield, lather/rinse/repeat "until the cows came home" and had to be milked.

A quiet day here at Woodchuck Manor.
VuEXLYh.jpg
That's a quiet day I could enjoy, Dave! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Superb taste in knife and beverage.

Good morning, Guardians, and welcome back!

Lambsfoot muster:
AdHAt6w.jpg

Maybe a week off every year or so would make us appreciate this place all the more. :D
Impressive flock photo, Rachel, and congrats on getting a stag HHB from @Modoc ED; plaudits to him for his generosity! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

This post reminds me that after my vacation in August, I had a big bunch of multi quotes saved up and ready to reply to as I intended to catch up on the 4 weeks or so I'd been silent at that point. But I woke up one morning to "process" my quotes, and the thread was shut down! Before I knew it, another couple of months went by!! :eek::rolleyes::D

Jack Black Jack Black Thanks for posting your hiking pics. It's always nice to see that beautiful country.

50334473797_bd21773352_h.jpg
Beautiful jigged bone WCLF, FBC, and a nice ball glove, too! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
Are you a lefty?? That would explain so many things! :D;):p

Thanks Dan. For some reason I had it in my head that there were no red squirrels in North America, but Jer says they were imports. Great photos as I've never seen a red squirrel anywhere in the UK.

Thanks Ron. The North Yorkshire Moors is literally littered with them. They usually mark old pilgrim routes which this one does. I said ancient but actually it's not, it's a 20th century replacement, the original stands in the Norman crypt of Lastingham church about 3 miles away.
If you look hard at the horizon you'll see how it sits in the scheme of things....

Ahhh thanks Jer. That's how your grey squirrels ended up over here. One of our squires thought we needed some north American critters.
This was actually yesterday when I got a mysterious craving for chorizo washed down with OJ. :confused:
IYziAf9.jpg
David, I always enjoy the posts with photos of your travels, and pics of your food and drink, too! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I picked out this post because I was fascinated by the discussion about various types of squirrels and how they came to be in various locations.

Is that a desert ironwood Guardians lambsfoot with the chorizo?

That makes sense.
I'll have to look them all up. Our reds do fine alongside the much larger fox squirrels, and I've never seen a grey around these parts. We have black squirrels nearby, and they might be a type of grey. They're bigger than reds and smaller than foxes.
lambsfoot pic to follow.
I still have no idea what kind of squirrels I have in my neighborhood; not sure i know the difference between grays and fox squirrels. My current (mis)educated guess is that our oak trees are full of fox squirrels.

Where do you see the black squirrels, Jer? I've seen them in the Soo and in Holland MI, and I think I've heard that Battle Creek MI has them too.

I got the Checker instead.

fBmbp9r.jpg

Seems like we used to see a lot more horn in this thread.

6pHnRmw.jpg

Always a treat to see the Checker, Barrett, and the nice figuring on your horn lambsfoot! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Good Old Jake
Looks wide awake! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

2019 Ironwood "at work"

a5KGL6D.jpg
Is this post related to the next one, Mark? Sort of a before and after shot of a deck project?

Good afternoon Guardians.
My Ironwood JB sfo sharpened a pencil many times and did it well.
On to the next project.;)
0le8v74.jpg

Really love the contrasting wood colors! Did you do the furniture to? That's outstanding work, Mark!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just don't see how my right to not wear a mask trumps everybody else's right to not be unnecessarily killed by my spume.
Well-said (but it sounds unacceptably political with the verb you chose :D)!

Told everyone i am losing it, forget everything and disregard everything i have said or say.:confused:
This post is making me burn out all the logic circuits in my brain, and I think you did it on purpose! :eek::rolleyes:;)
If I disregard what you say in this post, then I don't disregard everything you say.
But if I don't disregard what you say in this post, then I must disregard everything you say (including that post).:confused:o_O

Hello Guardians :)
I took my sourdough to the next level today :cool:
Baked two loaves with cranberry and walnuts rolled on sesame seeds and another two with green and black olives, roasted garlic, rolled on sunflower seeds.

bukKCLk.jpg

Amazing loaves, Dan! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Now all you need to do is bake some meat and cheese right into the bread and you have an entire food pyramid in each slice!! ;)

Good afternoon Guardians! I’ve been slacking the last several days. Spent a lot of time in the pool and whirlpool. After all we are on vacation! ;) I’ve been carrying Big Eb pretty much all week. I thought I’d catch y’all up on a few photos! Hope y’all have a great weekend! :) :thumbsup:

50478833128_3e983a88c1_o_d.jpg

50480795772_3ec395f0d2_b_d.jpg

Glad you had a chance to get away, Ron; thanks for sharing the first-rate pics!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

The streak begins! Hopefully I can have some variety of pictures, too. Starting with the very humble plain picture today.
View attachment 1443580
Best wishes for your AC streak, Joshua! :):cool::cool:
I had no idea that the pile side of your AC was so gloriously dark! Did it come to you that way?

Very nice photos Jack. Your posts are always fun to view. No posts from me for a few days - had eye surgery yesterday and going in for a second episode this morning. Not looking for sympathy or anything like that. Just try to keep you and the Guardians informed. After all's said and done I will be having a patch over my right eye for a week or so then a re-evaluation. I believe things will work out nicely based on the surgeons comments. Gosh, I hope his scalpel is as sharp as my HHB is:D:D:D

Good morning Guardians and all. Got my trusty HHB with me all the way:thumbsup:
View attachment 1445100
I hope the eye surgeries are completely successful and that you'll be better than ever real soon, Bill. :):thumbsup::thumbsup: Your stag HHB is such a photogenic knife! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

How old are the boys? I used to love reading to my children (six sons, one daughter). I especially loved reading the Oz books to them. L. Frank Baum wrote many sequels to the Wizard of Oz. And when they were younger, the Robert McCloskey books. And Beatrix Potter, of course. And Alice in Wonderland. And T.S. Eliot's cat poems. Many more. Bedtime reading is fun.
Vince, I ran across a little stack of Beatrix Potter books in the basement the other day. I enjoyed reading those to my daughter, and I think she enjoyed them as well. But The Roly Poly Pudding is SO creepy/scary IMHO!

We left on the 18th to go camping for two weeks. A real mix of weather, cool and cloudy, then ~89" and humid, and finally a couple of nice days, all in the first week. Then the forecast looked ugly for week two, so we came home last Sunday. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday was nothing but cold weather and ice storm! A lot of trees and limbs came down, and a lot of folks lost power, and still quite a few still out. We had a 5kw generator ready to go, but we didn't need it, so we took it to a young couple we know who have two young ones, they are still using it.
Campsite set up.
duA4P7z.jpg

The little trailer our son made, it's maiden voyage.
GlqaWZP.jpg

Great to see that you got some camping in , Dennis! :cool::thumbsup::cool: That's a nice set-up you have with your trailer, and your son's little "custom build" is intriguing! Thanks for sharing all the pics.:)

Thanks Ron, one of them is made from a fork I took from a branch of this old ash tree :)

g8QzYbx.jpg

Thanks :) First I've made since I was a kid, and they turned out OK :D The one with the bark on is Ash, the other I'm not sure about :thumbsup:
Thought I'd carry some Damascus today :) :thumbsup:

6QDua3a.jpg
Jack, I always look forward to the photos of your hikes, and am always struck by the bucolic surroundings you encounter so close to a major city!

I hope your ash slingshot works out well. Did you know that ash used to be the wood of choice for baseball bats?

Your fancy lambsfoot is an eye-opener!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

You take such pleasing photos of that splendid knife, José! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Black Jack has been with me for a week. Monday is rotation day.
BJ.mark.V.wisteria.jpg

- GT

Best wishes for your AC streak, Joshua! :):cool::cool:
I had no idea that the pile side of your AC was so gloriously dark! Did it come to you that way?

I hope the eye surgeries are completely successful and that you'll be better than ever real soon, Bill. :):thumbsup::thumbsup: Your stag HHB is such a photogenic knife! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Vince, I ran across a little stack of Beatrix Potter books in the basement the other day. I enjoyed reading those to my daughter, and I think she enjoyed them as well. But The Roly Poly Pudding is SO creepy/scary IMHO!

Great to see that you got some camping in , Dennis! :cool::thumbsup::cool: That's a nice set-up you have with your trailer, and your son's little "custom build" is intriguing! Thanks for sharing all the pics.:)

Jack, I always look forward to the photos of your hikes, and am always struck by the bucolic surroundings you encounter so close to a major city!

I hope your ash slingshot works out well. Did you know that ash used to be the wood of choice for baseball bats?

Your fancy lambsfoot is an eye-opener!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

You take such pleasing photos of that splendid knife, José! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1447874

- GT
Yes, this AC is a true Janus's head; dark and light.

Sad to read that about Dave, Jack.:(
Speaking of "old regulars", I've come crawling back after not posting in this thread during August, September, and October! :eek: I've been keeping up with the thread by reading it most days during that time, but I just had my "Mute" button on. :rolleyes:

I still don't have a lot to say, but I picked some semi-random posts that I thought were interesting from my hiatus to respond to below.

Yes Gary, such a smashing guy. I hope both he and his wife are OK. I felt very sorry for them having to move from their idyllic former home, but then they seemed to be settling into a nice new town. I always enjoyed Dave's posts, and I'm sure he's missed by many here :( :thumbsup:

I hadn't realised that it was so long since you had posted here yourself! :eek: I hope we're going to see a bit more of you in the near future my friend! ;) :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words :) I'm glad that, for the most part, this overcrowded isle has been able to maintain some 'green belt' between our towns and cities :) I think the ash slingshot may need a little fine-tuning, no problem hitting a tin-can, but I generally shoot at much smaller targets. I didn't know that about baseball bats, but it doesn't surprise me, ash is great wood, and the wood of choice for spears, most famously Odin's! I have an ash walking staff :D :thumbsup:

5kgIVQJ.jpg

View attachment 1447874

- GT

Great to see Black Jack :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, wishing everyone a safe and peaceful week :thumbsup: A pic from last Thursday ;) :thumbsup:

G7yf7oP.jpg

Last edited:
Back