Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I had to look that up to Jer, very interesting :thumbsup: I think the squirrel info might have been in a book by Jack Cox (who definitely deserves a wikipedia entry!). I'll see what I can turn up :thumbsup:

This engraving from 1799 shows 'a group of gentlemen hunting squirrels by throwing sticks at them', but there's no info on the sticks :rolleyes:

il_1140xN.2210214195_227w.jpg

"John Wise writing in the early 1860s, and Gerald Lascelles, Deputy Surveyor of the New Forest, writing of the years between 1880 and 1914, noted a range of weaponry used to bring down red squirrels from the tree-tops during the old sport of squoyling. Scales, squoyles, squails and snogs - the names seem to have been interchangeably used - were relatively light sticks around 38 centimetres (15 inches) long, loaded at the tip with a pear-shaped ball of heavier, hard wood; and stouter sticks of similar length, loaded with lead.

At times, squoyling was a competitive social activity that seems to have been particularly well-supported around Christmas-time when squoyling parties would go out into the woods to see which would come back with the biggest bag of squirrels."

I think the book I read, which mentioned them, may have named the sticks as 'squalls' :thumbsup:

Something else, which may be of interest :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I had to look that up to Jer, very interesting :thumbsup: I think the squirrel info might have been in a book by Jack Cox (who definitely deserves a wikipedia entry!). I'll see what I can turn up :thumbsup:

83W1ZUC.jpg

Sounds like a nice trip Joshua :) Your Stetson is a lovely memento, particularly for an outdoor feller like yourself, and it shows off your AC well :thumbsup:

Sounds like you're hard at work Chuck :( Your Lambsfoot is taking on some great character :) :thumbsup:

It's another dark, cold, and windy evening here in Yorkshire, and raining hard outside. Not even 7.00pm yet, but I'm glad to be snug indoors, and I just remembered I have some leftover blackberry crumble in the fridge, so I'll be having that with some custard shortly :) :thumbsup:

ogfbWyl.jpg
Thank you, Jack! That crumble looks scrumptious!

This engraving from 1799 shows 'a group of gentlemen hunting squirrels by throwing sticks at them', but there's no info on the sticks :rolleyes:

il_1140xN.2210214195_227w.jpg

"John Wise writing in the early 1860s, and Gerald Lascelles, Deputy Surveyor of the New Forest, writing of the years between 1880 and 1914, noted a range of weaponry used to bring down red squirrels from the tree-tops during the old sport of squoyling. Scales, squoyles, squails and snogs - the names seem to have been interchangeably used - were relatively light sticks around 38 centimetres (15 inches) long, loaded at the tip with a pear-shaped ball of heavier, hard wood; and stouter sticks of similar length, loaded with lead.

At times, squoyling was a competitive social activity that seems to have been particularly well-supported around Christmas-time when squoyling parties would go out into the woods to see which would come back with the biggest bag of squirrels."

I think the book I read, which mentioned them, may have named the sticks as 'squalls' :thumbsup:

Something else, which may be of interest :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. Interesting stuff. I was going to go on about it, but remembered this is the lambsfoot thread.

Thank you, Jack! That crumble looks scrumptious!

Thank you Joshua :)

Thanks, Jack. Interesting stuff. I was going to go on about it, but remembered this is the lambsfoot thread.

Thanks Jer :) You could always quote the posts relating to it, and take the discussion to the Lounge :thumbsup:

I'd like to think that Mark Twain was as sensible as he was satirical - so if he was indeed sensible, then a Lambsfoot would have made a good choice of pocket knife for him.

PuYgO8I.jpg

Interesting thought Dylan, and a great pic my friend ;) :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians :thumbsup: Here's another pic I took on my mate's tool stall last Thursday. With the latest lockdown due to come in here on Thursday this week, he isn't sure if he'll be standing this week, but even if he does, it'll probably be the last time for a while :( If you're in the US, you probably have more important things to worry about. Stay safe out there Guardians :thumbsup:

thKDJLu.jpg

Interesting thought Dylan, and a great pic my friend ;) :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians :thumbsup: Here's another pic I took on my mate's tool stall last Thursday. With the latest lockdown due to come in here on Thursday this week, he isn't sure if he'll be standing this week, but even if he does, it'll probably be the last time for a while :( If you're in the US, you probably have more important things to worry about. Stay safe out there Guardians :thumbsup:

thKDJLu.jpg
You will miss your mates tool stand, and a lot of other things. Hopefully your lock down will only be for a month. My piece of cutlery i told you about has no hope of being here this year now, o'well such is life. Only kidding, there is a lot more important things happening across the world. And like you say, hope our American friends are okay, going to be some trying times ahead.

Last edited:
You will miss your mates tool stand, and a lot of other things. Hopefully your lock down will only be for a month. My piece of cutlery i told you about has no hope of being here this year now, o'well such is life. Only kidding, there is a lot more important things happening across the world. And like you say, hope out American friends are okay, going to be some trying times ahead.

I will Leon, together with my Saturday hike, it's become the highlight of my week! Apart from that though, I can't see the lockdown making a great deal of difference to me, there are probably blokes in Wormwood Scrubs with a more active social life at the moment :rolleyes: Thanks mate, sorry to hear about your order :( Testing times for us all my friend :thumbsup:

U7qzGRc.jpg

Turn it up.;) What, i bet the order was supposed to be half a dozen packets of half a dozen doughnuts.:confused::D:D:D:D:D:D;)

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

I was doing some work out in the garden this morning, and the weather was so nice I thought I'd go for a walk. I was a mile up the road when the rain started! o_O I did see an early sign of Spring in my garden though :confused: :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

SMQRHwv.jpg

Talking of 'trying times', a supermarket delivery error left me me with a pack of half a dozen jam doughnuts :eek: I thought I better make a start :rolleyes: Those doughnuts won't eat themselves :D ;) :thumbsup:

ku8UU3e.jpg

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

I was doing some work out in the garden this morning, and the weather was so nice I thought I'd go for a walk. I was a mile up the road when the rain started! o_O I did see an early sign of Spring in my garden though :confused: :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

SMQRHwv.jpg
The jam pastries look yummy Jack.:thumbsup: You'll need to tack on a few more miles on your hike to burn them off!:D Your HHB looking good:thumbsup:.

Good morning Guardians and all. Just when I was feeling a little low:( I received in the mail a package that really cheered me up:D. @Modoic ED gifted me these two beauties. :D
What a nice act of kindness and generosity.:thumbsup: Thank you Ed. There is a 2019 Guardians Knife (Rattail bolster and Ironwood covers) and another SFO by Jack Black Jack Black with Bagpipe Ebony.:thumbsup:
These two will be keeping my HHB company.
IMG_2710.JPG IMG_2716.JPG

I will Leon, together with my Saturday hike, it's become the highlight of my week! Apart from that though, I can't see the lockdown making a great deal of difference to me, there are probably blokes in Wormwood Scrubs with a more active social life at the moment :rolleyes: Thanks mate, sorry to hear about your order :( Testing times for us all my friend :thumbsup:

U7qzGRc.jpg
It is indeed trying times for us all my friends! Lol Jack! I had to do a double take on the link! :eek: I didn’t realize y’all had a need for prisons in the UK! :rolleyes: :D

Talking of 'trying times', a supermarket delivery error left me me with a pack of half a dozen jam doughnuts :eek: I thought I better make a start :rolleyes: Those doughnuts won't eat themselves :D ;) :thumbsup:

ku8UU3e.jpg
That only leaves 4 more Jack! ;) Looking very tasty! :D

Good morning Guardians and all. Just when I was feeling a little low:( I received in the mail a package that really cheered me up:D. @Modoc ED gifted me these two beauties. :D
What a nice act of kindness and generosity.:thumbsup: Thank you Ed. There is a 2019 Guardians Knife (Rattail bolster and Ironwood covers) and another SFO by Jack Black Jack Black with Bagpipe Ebony.:thumbsup:
These two will be keeping my HHB company.
View attachment 1448502 View attachment 1448503
Congratulations Bill! :cool: That’s two dandy lambs my friend! Well done Ed @Modoc ED! :thumbsup: :D

Back