Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I have accumulated a lot of knives, and don't get to carry most of them very often, particularly with my Hartshead Barlow hogging my pocket for most of this year :rolleyes: So, on Tuesdays, when I remember, I blindly pick out a knife to carry for the day. While it's been discussed here before, more than once (I think some of the early discussion will be indexed), I thought I'd bring my random pick here today.

Wg7jHAc.jpg

It's the Schrade 19OT 'Landshark', thoughtfully gifted to me by @r8shell :) It's one of the modern Schrades, and not based on one of their historic patterns. In fact, it rather stands out in the line I think. The frame is nothing like anything you'd find on a traditional Sheffield Lambsfoot, but that blade even has the non-parallel spine and blade of a true Lambsfoot. The nose is a little 'blocky', but no more than other examples I have, this William Rodgers for example.

A6DDdtY.jpg

Here the blade is compared to one from A. Wright.

NZ52Bhs.jpg

Jim Taylor was obviously aware of the Lambsfoot pattern, and even had them made in Japan. Most of them look pretty standard, like this one, though I'm not entirely sure this is one of his.

bakOkr1.jpg

The Lambsfoot blade was also used on this fascinating piece of memorabilia, by Parker Cut Co, kindly gifted to me by @JohnDF

e6R6RoL.jpg

While I don't think the 19OT has the ergonomics of a classic Lambsfoot, it's certainly an interesting little knife, which I'm sure many have bought and used, without having any idea of the history of the blade itself. I thought I'd bring it here today for discussion :thumbsup:

o8JlpuM.jpg

I have accumulated a lot of knives, and don't get to carry most of them very often, particularly with my Hartshead Barlow hogging my pocket for most of this year :rolleyes: So, on Tuesdays, when I remember, I blindly pick out a knife to carry for the day. While it's been discussed here before, more than once (I think some of the early discussion will be indexed), I thought I'd bring my random pick here today.

Wg7jHAc.jpg

It's the Schrade 19OT 'Landshark', thoughtfully gifted to me by @r8shell :) It's one of the modern Schrades, and not based on one of their historic patterns. In fact, it rather stands out in the line I think. The frame is nothing like anything you'd find on a traditional Sheffield Lambsfoot, but that blade even has the non-parallel spine and blade of a true Lambsfoot. The nose is a little 'blocky', but no more than other examples I have, this William Rodgers for example.

A6DDdtY.jpg

Here the blade is compared to one from A. Wright.

NZ52Bhs.jpg

Jim Taylor was obviously aware of the Lambsfoot pattern, and even had them made in Japan. Most of them look pretty standard, like this one, though I'm not entirely sure this is one of his.

bakOkr1.jpg

The Lambsfoot blade was also used on this fascinating piece of memorabilia, by Parker Cut Co, kindly gifted to me by @JohnDF

e6R6RoL.jpg

While I don't think the 19OT has the ergonomics of a classic Lambsfoot, it's certainly an interesting little knife, which I'm sure many have bought and used, without having any idea of the history of the blade itself. I thought I'd bring it here today for discussion :thumbsup:

o8JlpuM.jpg
I have one of the sino-Schrades. I don't much care for it, with its blocky handle and wispy blade. I've admired your space shuttle knife, but wasn't aware of the standard-looking Taylors.

I have one of the sino-Schrades. I don't much care for it, with its blocky handle and wispy blade. I've admired your space shuttle knife, but wasn't aware of the standard-looking Taylors.

I think the Japanese-made knives are a few decades old now Jer. I do find the 'Landshark' somewhat of an oddity, from what I know the sino-Schrades generally replicate existing patterns, but this is like nothing Schrade ever produced. If they wanted to add a Lambsfoot to the line-up, you'd think they might have just copied a standard Lambsfoot pattern. I'd be very interested to know how it came about :thumbsup:

I enjoy the "dual personality" that so many of the ACs have. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
Do you ever think about your first AC in comparison to your current one, Joshua?

"Paralysis-by-Analysis" is my middle name! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words, Jack, and for the additional ash facts; ash as a favored wood for spear shafts was something I didn't know. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
As for how often I'll post in this thread in the near future, I'd like to post more frequently, but I'm again teaching one class each semester, and doing that in the pandemic has turned out to be incredibly time-consuming for me. :eek:

I, and Black Jack, appreciate the compliments, David & José & Ron & Dwight. :):)

David has used it here before, and I asked about its meaning and history:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/guardians-of-the-lambsfoot.1406735/page-1087#post-19021279
I'm impressed by the way you take the new expression and make it your own! :D

Dan, you are so gifted! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I love the art work on the crusts of your loaves and the finish on the handle of your lambsfoot!

Thanks for the welcome back, Rachel. :)
I hope you enjoy the street parties. ;)

Sounds like quite an ordeal, Bill. :eek: But with one eye stitched shut, most people will think you're quite the rogue, winking at them all the time! ;);)
Accolades to @Modoc ED for sending you a couple of sweet lambsfoot knives to cheer you up! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: I seldom see you post a lambsfoot other than your stag HHB; you caught me off guard! :rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I didn't have anything specific in mind, FBC! ;) I just remember from high school Latin class that the Latin word for "left-handed" is "sinister"; just sayin'... :rolleyes:
Jake is a jolly good fellow, which nobody can deny!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on the new cup, Jack; cupple of beauties you have! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Some fine photos of a pair of ravishing lambsfoot examples, Dylan! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Truer words were never written, Jack! :p:thumbsup::thumbsup: We all owe you a debt of gratitude for taking on the thankless task of disposing of inadvertent doughnuts! :D

Your stag HHB is a handsome hombre, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

- GT

Thanks, Gary. I occasionally think about my old AC, and it's lovely depression on the side. It was a really nice one.

Carrying and using this Schrade knife today, I'm struck again by what an odd little knife it is. It isn't a traditional pattern, and the blade and the the frame seem like entirely separate designs. It's almost as if the Lambsfoot blades were made for another frame, or left over from another project. Or that they fitted the blade in the wrong way! The width of the tang is little more than half the height of the bolster, which is why it needs that deep easy-open notch. Has anyone else ever seen another frame like this? I'd be interested to know what you think folks, particularly those of you who have one of these knives :thumbsup:

U9x3Xh3.jpg

vygkPh8.jpg

Fantastic Dylan, I think I might open a bottle of Lagavulin myself this evening :) Fabulous shot with your 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack! I really enjoyed the pictures from your spooky hike - seeing your English countryside is always a pleasure. I haven't been out for a decent hike for a good spell now - most of my hiking and hunting areas have turned to ash with all of the wildfires we've had recently. I am going to need to do some exploring and find some new places.

Some fine photos of a pair of ravishing lambsfoot examples, Dylan! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thank you, GT! I hope you are keeping well, my friend.

I just finished my kitchen remodel, only to have to tear into one of my bathrooms - yet another water leak. I swear the previous owners of this home were imbeciles or perhaps, they hired imbeciles... I've got the floors opened up to dry out and then the reconstruction begins. I think I'll treat myself to another dram of Lagavulin and a good pipe in between the rain showers.

Accompanied by a beauty in black - 2018 was a good year.

dKSVkaK.jpg

I was almost two weeks behind, and it took all day to catch back up. Almost 400 posts ;)

Not a great start to the week, my girlfriend has been told she has to self-isolate for 14 days. As she's a college lecturer, it was inevitable that this would happen at some point. Nobody knows how close the 'contact' is, so hopefully it's nothing to worry about, but it means I'm going to have to be careful too. Not that I have any form of social life left o_O

Hope everything ends up alright Jack. Similar story here, as my lovely wife (elementary school teacher) woke up not feeling well the yesterday and went to get tested. Hopefully just a cold or reaction to the flu shot she had on the weekend, but better safe than sorry. We're locked down until we get the results.

While catching up, this project caught my eye (along with your other slingshot projects - you've been busy) ;)

The word on the street is that the market won't be open this Thursday :( Which means I won't see my pal, and won't be able to borrow his angle-grinder for my latest slingshot project :rolleyes:

XgM7FNu.jpg

How'd it turn out? I made a similar one a while back, but didn't have access to a grinder. Took some patience with a hacksaw.

KfHpUiF.jpg

And again with Roma-tabs and tubes :)

4rURoDJ.jpg

Neat little shooters for sure!

And of course, I need some Lambsfoot content. Recycled image, but it's one of my favorites :)

Hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

6UP89Ct.jpg

I was almost two weeks behind, and it took all day to catch back up. Almost 400 posts ;)

Hope everything ends up alright Jack. Similar story here, as my lovely wife (elementary school teacher) woke up not feeling well the yesterday and went to get tested. Hopefully just a cold or reaction to the flu shot she had on the weekend, but better safe than sorry. We're locked down until we get the results.

While catching up, this project caught my eye (along with your other slingshot projects - you've been busy) ;)

How'd it turn out? I made a similar one a while back, but didn't have access to a grinder. Took some patience with a hacksaw.

KfHpUiF.jpg

4rURoDJ.jpg

And of course, I need some Lambsfoot content. Recycled image, but it's one of my favorites :)

6UP89Ct.jpg
That wood has some nice character. Hope everything works out with your wife.

Thank you, Jack! I really enjoyed the pictures from your spooky hike - seeing your English countryside is always a pleasure. I haven't been out for a decent hike for a good spell now - most of my hiking and hunting areas have turned to ash with all of the wildfires we've had recently. I am going to need to do some exploring and find some new places.

Thank you, GT! I hope you are keeping well, my friend.

I just finished my kitchen remodel, only to have to tear into one of my bathrooms - yet another water leak. I swear the previous owners of this home were imbeciles or perhaps, they hired imbeciles... I've got the floors opened up to dry out and then the reconstruction begins. I think I'll treat myself to another dram of Lagavulin and a good pipe in between the rain showers.

Accompanied by a beauty in black - 2018 was a good year.

dKSVkaK.jpg

Thank you very much Dylan, I hope you're able to get out soon. That's terrible about the devastation caused by the wildfires :( Do you know what the estimates are for the recovery of those areas? My reasons for exploring new walks are related to the Coronavirus/transport restrictions here, but I've discovered a lot of new walks, some of which are almost on my doorstep. I am looking forward to going further afield again at some point though :) :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your domestic issues mate, I hope you can get everything sorted out OK. I have still not seen the Lagavulin 9 on sale here, but I have an unopened 16-year old still tucked away ;) I really enjoyed the Jameson Black Barrel I had the other night, though it's very different. Another great pic my friend, and it's good to see your 2018 ebony :thumbsup:

KfHpUiF.jpg

4rURoDJ.jpg

6UP89Ct.jpg

That's a MAMMOTH catch-up Mike, well done, it's good to see you here :) I'm very sorry to hear about your wife, and I hope that you'll be OK :thumbsup:

Nice work on that slingshot my friend! :cool: Having seen how long the job takes with a hacksaw (which really surprised me), unless I get really bored, I'm going to wait until I can borrow my mate's angle-grinder I think! :D Good to see your Rosewood Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, I'm running a bit late this morning, better get my skates on! ;) Thought I'd slip my Charlie Lamb in my pocket today :) Have a good day Guardians, stay safe out there :) :thumbsup:

IYVuPoj.jpg

Good morning Guardians! I've got a 2019 Guardians Ironwood in my pocket today! It's raining here and the Covid-19 is still on the rise so I'm staying inside. I hope y'all have a safe day! :) :thumbsup:

50589863026_7fea0fedb7_o.jpg

Sounds like a good reason to find something to do in the house Ron ;) Stay safe buddy, that's a fabulous shot of your 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot, it really shows the Ironwood off well :cool: :thumbsup:

Sounds like a good reason to find something to do in the house Ron ;) Stay safe buddy, that's a fabulous shot of your 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot, it really shows the Ironwood off well :cool: :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack! I meet my brother yesterday morning at Cracker Barrel for breakfast. The restaurant is set up for social distancing and we wore our masks until we were served. There were about 60% / 40% people doing the same thing. Some people just don't seem to understand. :rolleyes: It's really sad they put their friends and neighbors in jeopardy. :( The 2019's are beautiful knives Jack! :thumbsup: I'm especially happy with my two examples!:cool: Stay safe my friend! :)

Back