Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

VERY fancy Taylor! :D That one looks better and better :) :thumbsup:

I am very glad that your symptoms weren't anymore severe Taylor, and I hope your wife feels better soon. Those symptoms sound almost identical to what I am feeling now (including the strange disinterest in beer), but of course I could just have a cold. I only have a mild sore throat, but my cough is loud enough to disturb the neighbours! :eek: Hope you're all better now my friend :thumbsup:

That's good Jer, I hope it stays that way. You inspired me to take MY temperature. A little high I guess, but I'm not really burning up :thumbsup:

View attachment 1482352

That's good to hear Taylor :) Sorry she has the fatigue though :( Have fun with the kids my friend, and thanks for the kind words :thumbsup:

I sure hope you folks are all going to be OK. The hospital's here are really struggling right now, and the virus seems to be out of control :(

If it were me Jack, I would be headed for a COVID test. :D This virus sort of cruises along in you and then it can trigger a sudden destructive event and BAM! You are in the hospital. :eek: Please take all precautions my friend. :thumbsup: Here' hoping you get to feeling better soon and also your back too.:thumbsup:

Good evening Guardians, it was a bright and sunny day today.:) Got a lot accomplished and even hit a few golf balls. :thumbsup:The photo is a recycled one.

IMG_2774.JPG

Hello Guardians. I was all set to post, until I read of Ron’s passing. Never had the good fortune to meet Ron. Yet his consistent goodness was always evident here on the Forums. Always positive, kind, helpful, and engaging. He was a class act. Rest easy Ron. My sincere condolences to his family, and to all who mourn his passing.

If it were me Jack, I would be headed for a COVID test. :D This virus sort of cruises along in you and then it can trigger a sudden destructive event and BAM! You are in the hospital. :eek: Please take all precautions my friend. :thumbsup: Here' hoping you get to feeling better soon and also your back too.:thumbsup:

Good evening Guardians, it was a bright and sunny day today.:) Got a lot accomplished and even hit a few golf balls. :thumbsup:The photo is a recycled one.

View attachment 1482539

Thanks Bill, I'm hoping I can avoid the BAM! :eek: :D I certainly don't feel that bad, just like I have a mild cold (which is what I hope it is). My back is far worse, and would make it difficult for me to get to a testing centre, so I'm just going to keep on hunkering down at home for now. Thanks for your kind words Bill, it sounds like you had a nice day there. I'm sure looking forward to getting some fresh air myself :) :thumbsup:

Hello Guardians. I was all set to post, until I read of Ron’s passing. Never had the good fortune to meet Ron. Yet his consistent goodness was always evident here on the Forums. Always positive, kind, helpful, and engaging. He was a class act. Rest easy Ron. My sincere condolences to his family, and to all who mourn his passing.

Hi Harvey, learning about Ron must have come as a shock, as it did to all of us :( Together with his wife Pam, he had been working hard on his diet and fitness this year, and they had both been extremely careful in relation to the pandemic. It's certainly been a very cruel year, and we all lost a great friend in Ron. I miss his company here a lot :(

Jack Black Jack Black - Please take care of yourself, my friend.

Thank you very much Harvey, you too my friend :) It's great to see you here, and I hope you'll post again soon :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, I doubt there's anyone here who won't be glad to see the back of 2020, what a thoroughly rotten year! Let's hope that the coming one is kinder (though I think we might have to wait a while). I haven't done much by way of celebrating these past few years, and I'll be doing even less this year - well, probably nothing other than having my sleep disturbed by fireworks! :rolleyes: If you have anything planned, I hope you have a nice time, and if you're able to be with family, hold them close. A very Happy New Year to all of you :thumbsup:

2pGEnzb.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, I'm hoping I can avoid the BAM! :eek: :D I certainly don't feel that bad, just like I have a mild cold (which is what I hope it is). My back is far worse, and would make it difficult for me to get to a testing centre, so I'm just going to keep on hunkering down at home for now. Thanks for your kind words Bill, it sounds like you had a nice day there. I'm sure looking forward to getting some fresh air myself :) :thumbsup:

Hi Harvey, learning about Ron must have come as a shock, as it did to all of us :( Together with his wife Pam, he had been working hard on his diet and fitness this year, and they had both been extremely careful in relation to the pandemic. It's certainly been a very cruel year, and we all lost a great friend in Ron. I miss his company here a lot :(

Thank you very much Harvey, you too my friend :) It's great to see you here, and I hope you'll post again soon :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, I doubt there's anyone here who won't be glad to see the back of 2020, what a thoroughly rotten year! Let's hope that the coming one is kinder (though I think we might have to wait a while). I haven't done much by way of celebrating these past few years, and I'll be doing even less this year - well, probably nothing other than having my sleep disturbed by fireworks! :rolleyes: If you have anything planned, I hope you have a nice time, and if you're able to be with family, hold them close. A very Happy New Year to all of you :thumbsup:

2pGEnzb.jpg
Jack, very nice photo of your HHB welcoming in the new year.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Sorry that your back is still acting up and I hope you get over the head cold (hope that's what it is).:) I remember my mom used to make me some hot tea and 4 Roses whiskey that was sweetened with honey for my colds.;) Don't know if it helped get rid of the cold but it sure made me feel better!:D Be well my friend.:thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians and all. Foul weather coming into the picture for NC today:(. Was heading off to the links today but it looks like we may have to cancel out.:mad: I am carrying this today. I initially grabbed my HHB but I though that I would give it some time off in order that I might carry some other knives.:)
IMG_2784.JPG

Jack, very nice photo of your HHB welcoming in the new year.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Sorry that your back is still acting up and I hope you get over the head cold (hope that's what it is).:) I remember my mom used to make me some hot tea and 4 Roses whiskey that was sweetened with honey for my colds.;) Don't know if it helped get rid of the cold but it sure made me feel better!:D Be well my friend.:thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians and all. Foul weather coming into the picture for NC today:(. Was heading off to the links today but it looks like we may have to cancel out.:mad: I am carrying this today. I initially grabbed my HHB but I though that I would give it some time off in order that I might carry some other knives.:)
View attachment 1482753

Thank you very much Bill, that's my new Slingshot World calendar. It has some great pics (though a few mediocre ones too) :thumbsup: Thank you very much my friend. I'm happy to report that the trapped nerve has finally freed itself, though I still have some standard lower back pain. I do feel a bit better today, and have even eaten a couple of small meals (a lunchtime sandwich, and a pastie just now) :) Hot tea with whisky and honey sounds a whole lot better than my grandmother's raspberry vinegar! :D Sorry to hear about the weather there, I hope it improves soon. Bagpipe ebony seems appropriate for Hogmanay! :D :thumbsup:

IMG_20201231_171242114.jpg

Hoping everyone has a safe, happy, and healthy (or healthier) New Year's. Pairing these two from Sheffield today :)
e6ttuCt.jpg

You too Mike :) Smashing Sheffield combination amigo :cool: :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Bill, that's my new Slingshot World calendar. It has some great pics (though a few mediocre ones too) :thumbsup: Thank you very much my friend. I'm happy to report that the trapped nerve has finally freed itself, though I still have some standard lower back pain. I do feel a bit better today, and have even eaten a couple of small meals (a lunchtime sandwich, and a pastie just now) :) Hot tea with whisky and honey sounds a whole lot better than my grandmother's raspberry vinegar! :D Sorry to hear about the weather there, I hope it improves soon. Bagpipe ebony seems appropriate for Hogmanay! :D :thumbsup:

View attachment 1482818

You too Mike :) Smashing Sheffield combination amigo :cool: :thumbsup:
That is awesome news Jack! Hopefully the sore muscles are markedly improved by this time tomorrow for a bright start to the New Year.

That is awesome news Jack! Hopefully the sore muscles are markedly improved by this time tomorrow for a bright start to the New Year.

Thanks a lot buddy, I really appreciate that :) Hope you have a very Happy New Year :) :thumbsup:

You can't beat Christmas cake and whisky on the hills! :D :thumbsup:

You can. Double helpings of Christmas cake and whisky on the hills! :D

xYHP4Nk.jpg

I had a better framed one, but went for the better focus.

What a lovely looking bird. What is it?

Thanks, David. :)
I'm glad to get a look at the Eye of Sauron before the year ends! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Marvelous moody shot, David! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Last week my lambsfoot was Black Jack:
View attachment 1481451

This week, Cracker Jack will help me ring out the old and ring in the new:
View attachment 1481453

- GT

Thanks GT! That graveyard is the local church where my dad is buried. Nice to see that blue sky shot of Cracker Jack.:thumbsup:

View attachment 1481804 View attachment 1481803

It has been a long time since I had a Lambsfoot to photograph and post here, although I often check in to see the latest happenings. I asked Ashley Harrison of Wrights to make two knives for me, one is the standard 35 pattern we are all familiar with. The second is their 31 1/4 pattern. It is slightly shorter at 3.25 inches closed, but I really like the proportions. One is in Bog Oak and one is Purple Heartwood.

The fit and finish is above average much like the Ashley’s Choice Stag Guardian’s Lambsfoot knives, which of course were also made by Ashley Harrison. The blades are centered when closed and the action is snappy.

Ashley’s family has been making knives for several generations. He is carrying forward the Sheffield tradition.

I have read how hard it is for many of you to find a well made Lambsfoot. Well, this is your answer. If anyone would like to know more about my experience just send me a message.

Lovely looking lambsfoot knives there.

Way back in March, @Reaper AL told us about some Lambsfoot knives he had had re-built and re-covered by a talented member here :) What Al didn't say is that he actually had 6 knives re-covered, 3 of which were for me. Such was the state of our postal service at the time, that I asked Al to put off mailing them, which must have been frustrating (thanks for your patience Al, as well as your kindness). Having updated him recently, the 3 knives arrived just in time for Christmas, a very generous and thoughtful gift, very much in the true spirit of this longstanding thread :) The covers are African Blackwood, Cinammon Giraffe Bone, and Apaloosa Bone, and the makeover is excellent. Thanks Al, and well done @jsdistin :) Some great talent here :cool: I hope to get some better photos soon :thumbsup:

yxnzATu.jpg

FMhfrZI.jpg

t8gcTBg.jpg

What stunning looking knives. I always wondered why Wright's couldn't of used some nice looking bone.

(including the strange disinterest in beer),

Now it really is the end of the world.

If it were me Jack, I would be headed for a COVID test.

Our Covid tests are awful. PCR test is looking about 3% accurate (97% false positive) Lateral Flow about 48% accurate, and it even fails to test positive for 30% of symptomatic patients.
A false positive could put you in hospital unnecessarily where you will catch Covid. Between 50-60% of Covid cases are people who have caught it as an inpatient in hospital; they were Covid free on admission.

You know, that's a bloody good question. It's something to do with me liking doing stuff like this...
81frazn.jpg

Pics from my walk yesterday. I took my rosewood big 'un as I was planning on pork pie but when I got to the bakers the queue was round the block, so all my rosewood big 'un had to do was act pretty in the snow.:thumbsup:

NMUIYlS.jpg

v4ZM0Xn.jpg

ykZjhHl.jpg

VW8zh1j.jpg

sOyariX.jpg

MtpiNby.jpg

8uweKZS.jpg

dYtJiir.jpg

Happy New Years everyone! I hope you are having and will have a fantastic evening.
All the best everyone! :thumbsup:

You can. Double helpings of Christmas cake and whisky on the hills! :D

What a lovely looking bird. What is it?

Thanks GT! That graveyard is the local church where my dad is buried. Nice to see that blue sky shot of Cracker Jack.:thumbsup:

Lovely looking lambsfoot knives there.

What stunning looking knives. I always wondered why Wright's couldn't of used some nice looking bone.

Now it really is the end of the world.

Our Covid tests are awful. PCR test is looking about 3% accurate (97% false positive) Lateral Flow about 48% accurate, and it even fails to test positive for 30% of symptomatic patients.
A false positive could put you in hospital unnecessarily where you will catch Covid. Between 50-60% of Covid cases are people who have caught it as an inpatient in hospital; they were Covid free on admission.

You know, that's a bloody good question. It's something to do with me liking doing stuff like this...
81frazn.jpg

Thanks for the compliment on my titanic trio David. In my experience of the Sheffield cutlery firms, I think it is just sheer laziness, complacency, and a lack of imagination which prevents them making new patterns, and trying new steels and different cover materials. Even when somebody else is picking up the tab, they fight tooth and nail against change. I remember trying to get a particular knife made, the cutlers tried everything they could to alter the design. When they started selling like hot cakes, it was immediately copied, right down to the sheath! Some individual knife makers are less stuck in the mud thankfully :thumbsup:

It's strange not fancying a beer, and I have some really nice ones in too. I did have a few cans of a posh 3% shandy, but it's so rare that I don't fancy a beer, that when it happens, I just go with it :D

Those are horrifying (if unsurprising) figures David :eek:

Pics from my walk yesterday. I took my rosewood big 'un as I was planning on pork pie but when I got to the bakers the queue was round the block, so all my rosewood big 'un had to do was act pretty in the snow.:thumbsup:

NMUIYlS.jpg

v4ZM0Xn.jpg

ykZjhHl.jpg

VW8zh1j.jpg

sOyariX.jpg

MtpiNby.jpg

8uweKZS.jpg

dYtJiir.jpg

Happy New Years everyone! I hope you are having and will have a fantastic evening.
All the best everyone! :thumbsup:

Absolutely stunning photos my friend, you were lucky to be out on such a glorious day :) :thumbsup:

All the best to you too mate :thumbsup:

IMG_20201231_190811893.jpg

Thanks for the compliment on my titanic trio David. In my experience of the Sheffield cutlery firms, I think it is just sheer laziness, complacency, and a lack of imagination which prevents them making new patterns, and trying new steels and different cover materials. Even when somebody else is picking up the tab, they fight tooth and nail against change. I remember trying to get a particular knife made, the cutlers tried everything they could to alter the design. When they started selling like hot cakes, it was immediately copied, right down to the sheath! Some individual knife makers are less stuck in the mud thankfully :thumbsup:

I can't understand it. I'd of thought a young chap like Ashley would jump at the chance to try their hand at new stuff, especially as the designs are coming from someone as knowledgeable as yourself. After all it's doesn't deviate that much from what their set up for already.

Absolutely stunning photos my friend, you were lucky to be out on such a glorious day :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack, Pendle Hill and it's surrounds in Lancashire. There was actually some pretty deep snow in the cloughs.

It's strange not fancying a beer, and I have some really nice ones in too. I did have a few cans of a posh 3% shandy, but it's so rare that I don't fancy a beer, that when it happens, I just go with it :D
View attachment 1482916

3% shandy? That must be posh. :D A nice pic of the beer alternative, it obviously isn't the end of the world just yet. :D

Just listening to the fireworks sparking up now. All the best.
:thumbsup:

I really like the re- handled Lambsfoots Jack. A good job done!

That back of yours sounds terrible. :(
I hope you are gobbling down Anti Flams right now to get the inflammation down so you can start to benefit from movement.

A new Year without Ron here - that’s a sad start for everyone, let it not stop us looking forward as Ron would want us too!

Glad to see the end of 2020, unfortunately Covid is only just starting to catch up with the World - with its insistent existence still and now with all the terrible logistical problems we are seeing Worldwide!
I am out to make 2021 a better one - hope you join me! :) :thumbsup:

I can't understand it. I'd of thought a young chap like Ashley would jump at the chance to try their hand at new stuff, especially as the designs are coming from someone as knowledgeable as yourself. After all it's doesn't deviate that much from what their set up for already.

Thanks Jack, Pendle Hill and it's surrounds in Lancashire. There was actually some pretty deep snow in the cloughs.

3% shandy? That must be posh. :D A nice pic of the beer alternative, it obviously isn't the end of the world just yet. :D

Just listening to the fireworks sparking up now. All the best.
:thumbsup:

Well, when you're a factory cutler, even in a very small factory, you have to make what the gaffer tells you to make. You might spend your time stamping out blades, or polishing them, for example. If you're lucky, you'll get to learn the whole job of making a knife, but that was extremely rare in the big factories, and some gaffers handicapped their workers by deliberately ensuring they didn't learn all aspects of the trade. That wasn't the case with Ashley fortunately, partly because he has an enthusiasm for the craft. However, simply because of the range of knives that Wright's made, Ashley had never made a knife with a fluted or rat-tail bolster before, nor did he know those terms, not until I finally twisted John Maleham's arm to get them made. Nor had he made a proper Barlow before, let alone an 'all-iron' one. Since he did such a good job of the first knives, I asked that he do all our knives, and they were a very important part of his learning, something both he and his dad appreciated :thumbsup:

Excellent David, it's a good few years since I was last there, but beautiful country for sure :thumbsup:

Fireworks going off here too mate, I think I'll pour myself another whisky ;) :thumbsup:

I really like the re- handled Lambsfoots Jack. A good job done!

That back of yours sounds terrible. :(
I hope you are gobbling down Anti Flams right now to get the inflammation down so you can start to benefit from movement.

A new Year without Ron here - that’s a sad start for everyone, let it not stop us looking forward as Ron would want us too!

Glad to see the end of 2020, unfortunately Covid is only just starting to catch up with the World - with its insistent existence still and now with all the terrible logistical problems we are seeing Worldwide!
I am out to make 2021 a better one - hope you join me! :) :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend, I had absolutely nothing to do with their making, but I am an extremely grateful recipient :D

Yes, I really need to get it sorted out Duncan. The inflammation actually went down a couple of weeks ago, and I'm just taking a couple of painkillers when I go to bed now :thumbsup:

It's so sad isn't it? I feel terrible for Pam, he was a great man to lose. I'm sure I'm not alone in missing his presence here a great deal. He was in at the beginning, and one of our very best. I'll certainly be raising a glass to him tonight :thumbsup:

Yes Duncan, we are not out of the woods by a very long way. Happy New Year to you my dear friend :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back