Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Thank you for the picture, it really helps me in learning the distinguishing lines of this excellent blade. I will go a step further than @Onebigbill and say that I would be honored to join the list on any knife of your design, if I may. Although my knife knowledge is very limited, I do know that some German made knives, Solingen steel blades are of a good quality.

Sheepsfoot blades also vary in form, far more so than a Lambsfoot, but they never have a tip like the Lambsfoot. Solingen has a great history of cutlery production. You'll even find the odd German-made Lambsfoot, though mainly manufactured for the British market I think. Beware though, that some German knives, which claim to be Lambsfoot knives, are nothing remotely like a Lambsfoot. Some examples in the thread index :thumbsup:

Here's a couple by Carl Kammerling, but while the first knife will pass for a Lambsfoot, the unusual second knife has a parallel edge and spine. More recent examples by this firm are certainly not Lambsfoot knives.

9ja6k52.jpg

aiATXOP.jpg

Last edited:
The nose shows you it's a Sheepsfoot, and while there might be a very slight taper, it doesn't have the angles of a Lambsfoot. Richards stamped out their blades, and they were machine-ground, so I think the Lambsfoot may have been a slightly too complex blade shape for them. The knives were only roughly sharpened, so it may have left the factory like that, or been sharpened subsequently. If you're interested in the history of the company, there's an article in the January 2019 issue of Knife Magazine about Richards of Sheffield and Richartz of Solingen :thumbsup:

While the handle on brewbear's knife does have a common lamb foot type swayback shape, Jack is correct (as usual) that there is no evidence that Richards ever made a lamb foot model. Going back through advertising literature and catalogs from the 1940s through the 1980s, only sheep foot models are shown. Enclosed is a Richards catalog illustration from the 1950s that shows brewbear's knife with clearly a sheep foot blade and listed as a "Heavy Duty Pocket Knife".

View attachment 1489884

Here's a couple by Carl Kammerling, but while the first knife will pass for a Lambsfoot, the unusual second knife has a parallel edge and spine. More recent examples by this firm are certainly not Lambsfoot knives.
This is a very timely warning and picture as I was looking at several knives with a "Lambsfoot" blade in their description, they are CK brand.
It's a risk eating grapefruit these days, because it can block metabolism of one of my prescriptions.
They are also known to enhance the reaction in a group of cardiac medicines.

Sheepsfoot blades also vary in form, far more so than a Lambsfoot, but they never have a tip like the Lambsfoot. Solingen has a great history of cutlery production. You'll even find the odd German-made Lambsfoot, though mainly manufactured for the British market I think. Beware though, that some German knives, which claim to be Lambsfoot knives, are nothing remotely like a Lambsfoot. Some examples in the thread index :thumbsup:

9ja6k52.jpg

aiATXOP.jpg

Interesting to see these late model German-made copies of a lamb foot model. When I was searching for the existence German-made lamb foot knives, I didn't look much past the WWI era.
I'll have to go back and dig further for later models, but I doubt any will show up much before these post WWII era examples.

While the handle on brewbear's knife does have a common lamb foot type swayback shape, Jack is correct (as usual) that there is no evidence that Richards ever made a lamb foot model. Going back through advertising literature and catalogs from the 1940s through the 1980s, only sheep foot models are shown. Enclosed is a Richards catalog illustration from the 1950s that shows brewbear's knife with clearly a sheep foot blade and listed as a "Heavy Duty Pocket Knife".

View attachment 1489884
There goes my bubble bursting:confused:, I really believed it was a Lambsfoot when in fact it was a Sheepsfoot in Lambsfoot clothing. Fortunately it wasn't very expensive at all and after cleaning and oiling it is a very good little (sharp and slicey) pocket knife. Thank you, Sir.

View attachment 1489884

That's a great illustration buddy, depicting the Richards Moore Street factory. I have a couple of the single blade examples, but obviously won't be showing them here :thumbsup:

This is a very timely warning and picture as I was looking at several knives with a "Lambsfoot" blade in their description, they are CK brand.

If you check the index, they've been discussed here several times before. The most recent examples are nothing like a Lambsfoot, and are quite a modern design. CK's range tends to be very inexpensive, and not of great quality, but the older knives have carbon-steel blades and, usually, wooden handles :thumbsup:

That's very nice :thumbsup:
Thank you, Sir. There are a couple of gripes I have with it, the blade is stainless:(, it doesn't have the beautiful lines of the classic blade and unfortunately the other panel is not nearly as nice. The fit and finish are very good, the size is perfect, no blade play, the pull is about a 5 when compared to the A.Wrights (I call that an 8-ish) and it closes with a nice snap but it is not a bear trap. If I were to compare the pull, I'd say it is very much like the one in Case sowbelly which it is now replacing as my EDC.

Thank you, Sir. There are a couple of gripes I have with it, the blade is stainless:(, it doesn't have the beautiful lines of the classic blade and unfortunately the other panel is not nearly as nice. The fit and finish are very good, the size is perfect, no blade play, the pull is about a 5 when compared to the A.Wrights (I call that an 8-ish) and it closes with a nice snap but it is not a bear trap. If I were to compare the pull, I'd say it is very much like the one in Case sowbelly which it is now replacing as my EDC.

A company called Eggington bought up a number of the old Sheffield names - Rodgers, Wostenholm, Ibberson, etc - All their knives are stainless, they get them made, in Sheffield, where they can, so fit and finish varies depending on the cutler. If the pull is light, I don't think there's much you can do about it I'm afraid. You take a nice photo of it anyway :) :thumbsup:

If the pull is light, I don't think there's much you can do about it I'm afraid. You take a nice photo of it anyway :) :thumbsup:
Thank you, I really don't mind the fairly light pull but I wish it had a more traditional/classic carbon blade. It will be my EDC for the next week since the size is much better than the other Lambsfoot (from A. W) which is a large....

Well, I received it today.

It's alright on first appearances however on closer inspection I found issues that echo all through this thread about some of the A Wright knives.

It's a pity.

The blade is uneven, the cutting bevel is shockingly different. Was virtually non existant in one place.

I've sharpened and cleaned it and since found a chip in one of the scales under a bolster.

I think stevie wonder may have QC'd this one.

Now I've sorted the blade, I'm happier with it, but when you think for the same money you can buy an opinal or a victorinox which has none of the above, it does make you wonder why they can't improve their hit rate!!

Anyway, have a great evening everyone

I think stevie wonder may have QC'd this one
The QC is really laxed with them, my Lambsfoot has scales separation, uneven grind and side-to-side play. I am wondering if a light tap with a leather mallet would correct the wobble or if I should just leave well enough alone and live with it.

Well, I received it today.

It's alright on first appearances however on closer inspection I found issues that echo all through this thread about some of the A Wright knives.

It's a pity.

The blade is uneven, the cutting bevel is shockingly different. Was virtually non existant in one place.

I've sharpened and cleaned it and since found a chip in one of the scales under a bolster.

I think stevie wonder may have QC'd this one.

Now I've sorted the blade, I'm happier with it, but when you think for the same money you can buy an opinal or a victorinox which has none of the above, it does make you wonder why they can't improve their hit rate!!

Anyway, have a great evening everyone
At first I thought they had somehow sent you my first LF, but I just checked and it's still in my knife box! :eek::D

Back