Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I should really have matched this beer to my Charlie Lamb, but...;) :thumbsup:

WHEv8z9.jpg
Jack, the colors appear to be in the same family. But what do I know, like most men I'm a little color blind:D.

Good Morning Guardians and all. Another damp and chilly day here in Coastal NC.:( Oops, just looked out the window and Mr sun is coming out to warm things up!:) If you don't like the weather here just wait a minute and it will change. Got some electrical work to do today but it won't involve my Lambfoot knives - I've got plenty of wounded tools to attest to my lack of talent with electricity:rolleyes: and I don't need to have a chunk removed from any of my prized treasures:D. Today it's this one in the ole pocket.IMG_2745.JPG

Jack, the colors appear to be in the same family. But what do I know, like most men I'm a little color blind:D.

Good Morning Guardians and all. Another damp and chilly day here in Coastal NC.:( Oops, just looked out the window and Mr sun is coming out to warm things up!:) If you don't like the weather here just wait a minute and it will change. Got some electrical work to do today but it won't involve my Lambfoot knives - I've got plenty of wounded tools to attest to my lack of talent with electricity:rolleyes: and I don't need to have a chunk removed from any of my prized treasures:D. Today it's this one in the ole pocket.View attachment 1490740

Hey, watch out for those electrics if you're colour-blind Bill! :eek: :D ;) Sorry to hear about the rotten weather :( It's still snowing here, and there's 4-5" in the garden. My beer delivery was delayed, but I don't think I'll go thirsty ;) I have seen a lot of pocket knives with chunks out of the blade (sometimes more than one blade o_O)! :eek: You take care buddy :thumbsup:

Old pic of my carry today ;)

SoQEE03.jpg

I should really have matched this beer to my Charlie Lamb, but...;) :thumbsup:

WHEv8z9.jpg

I like it with this knife, cool hues of pinks and reds , nice composition Jack ;):thumbsup::cool:

Brought home some fantastic homemade empanadas from a small local Argentinian restaurant.
You can watch them roll out the dough, press them, and cook them on the spot.

View attachment 1490651

Very nice Neal :thumbsup: , you sure know how to trigger the salivary glands of this Argentine born and raised guardian :D
My grandma in Buenos Aires was the best empanada maker in the world ....period :thumbsup:

I also remember working at a "trendy" vegetarian restaurant in downtown Cordoba, Argentina and rush to the empanada place next door at lunch time to enjoy the real thing :D

I'll just drink some Mate now while looking at your pic and let my imagination fill in the blanks lol

QBUH8xb.jpg

I like it with this knife, cool hues of pinks and reds , nice composition Jack ;):thumbsup::cool:

Very nice Neal :thumbsup: , you sure know how to trigger the salivary glands of this Argentine born and raised guardian :D
My grandma in Buenos Aires was the best empanada maker in the world ....period :thumbsup:

I also remember working at a "trendy" vegetarian restaurant in downtown Cordoba, Argentina and rush to the empanada place next door at lunch time to enjoy the real thing :D

I'll just drink some Mate now while looking at your pic and let my imagination fill in the blanks lol

QBUH8xb.jpg

Dan, while I had known about this new restaurant for awhile, Tuesday was the first time I tried it. It was so good that I brought my son back there for take out on Wednesday. He liked it so much that he went back again today on his own and the owner was impressed enough to give him one free empanada. I'm sure we will be back there this weekend... :)
Nice to hear that your grandma made the best empanadas. My mother, of strong Norwegian heritage, makes the best lefse. The foods of our culture sure trigger so many wonderful memories as you mentioned.
Enclosed is a picture of a small sheet that comes with the empanadas as a code to tell which type you have, based on a small stamp in the corner of each empanada.

View attachment 1491041

20210112-100503.jpg
Thanks very much Brewbear, I appreciate the time you took to read those old posts.

Congratulations on your first Lambsfoot knife!

To answer your questions -

I believe I used 3μm and then 1μm DMT diamond paste. Stan Shaw mentioned that he uses emery powder for lapping in actions.

I just use a non toxic, food safe oil and an old toothbrush and some cotton buds/Q-tips to flush and clean the knife. Mineral oil or camellia oil are what I would normally use. I also often use Ballistol for non food contact knives and areas.

I generally give all new traditional knives a quick wash in warm soapy water when I first get them, working the action a few times underwater. It’s amazing the debris that’s left at the bottom of the basin sometimes!

I dry the knife thoroughly afterwards for a while with low heat, and apply oil.

I generally grind back my edges to about 9 or 10 degrees per side.

I recently acquired a laser goniometer - a sure sign of the confirmed sharpening nerd :D, so those are actual measured angles.

Then I resharpen with the Sharpmaker at 15 dps.

Eventually the edge area thickens up with repeated sharpenings, and it’s back to the benchstones for some thinning out.

I prefer all my Lambsfoot knives to have a razorlike edge on them.

The steel is tough enough that it rarely gets problems with the edge in fairly thin cross sections, and in the event it does, it’s a cinch to repair and resharpen.

I’m talking about rolling and impaction - I’ve never had chipping occur on a Wright lambsfoot.

Even if you don’t have any dedicated sharpening gear, these knives respond well to all sorts of field expedients, like random kitchen steels, the bottom of coffee mugs, the top of car windows etc.

I like to use a little section of broken Spyderco Ultrafine Sharpmaker rod I carry in a pocket slip, to ‘steel’ my Lambsfoot knives with.

As far as carry, I either carry my ebony ‘Mah Knife’ Lambsfoot loose in my FLP, or if I’m carrying a Guardians knife with nice bolsters, I’ll always carry it in one of Dylan’s excellent slips.
Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I have both food safe mineral oil and camellia oil (for my kitchen knives). I was about to order CBN emulsions so I'll add a couple of extras to my order. I also have a Wicked Edge system with which I fixed the uneven grind on my first lambsfoot from A Wrights. It also had a bit of side to side blade wobble (not really bad but enough to irk me) that I fixed. You got me wondering about your 'Mah Knife' Lambsfoot, all I found online was Liong Mah and they were a far cry from a traditional Lambsfoot.

Last edited:
Hey, watch out for those electrics if you're colour-blind Bill! :eek: :D ;) Sorry to hear about the rotten weather :( It's still snowing here, and there's 4-5" in the garden. My beer delivery was delayed, but I don't think I'll go thirsty ;) I have seen a lot of pocket knives with chunks out of the blade (sometimes more than one blade o_O)! :eek: You take care buddy :thumbsup:

Old pic of my carry today ;)

SoQEE03.jpg
Very beautiful covers on that Guardians Lambfoot:thumbsup:. Love all the figuring in the wood.:D

Dan, while I had known about this new restaurant for awhile, Tuesday was the first time I tried it. It was so good that I brought my son back there for take out on Wednesday. He liked it so much that he went back again today on his own and the owner was impressed enough to give him one free empanada. I'm sure we will be back there this weekend... :)
Nice to hear that your grandma made the best empanadas. My mother, of strong Norwegian heritage, makes the best lefse. The foods of our culture sure trigger so many wonderful memories as you mentioned.
Enclosed is a picture of a small sheet that comes with the empanadas as a code to tell which type you have, based on a small stamp in the corner of each empanada.

View attachment 1491041

I don’t get over that way very often. Looks like it might be worth a trip.

QBUH8xb.jpg

Thanks a lot Dan, I hope you enjoyed your mate :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1491041

Sounds like you have quickly become regular customers buddy! :D I love the way different peoples take their favourite foods with them as they travel, it certainly makes eating out more fun. Looks like plenty of choice in your empanada restaurant :cool: :) :thumbsup:

20210112-100503.jpg

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I have both food safe mineral oil and camellia oil (for my kitchen knives). I was about to order CBN emulsions so I'll add a couple of extras to my order. I also have a Wicked Edge system with which I fixed the uneven grind on my first lambsfoot from A Wrights. It also had a bit of side to side blade wobble (not really bad but enough to irk me) that I fixed. You got me wondering about your 'Mah Knife' Lambsfoot, all I found online was Liong Mah and they were a far cry from a traditional Lambsfoot.

Glad you got the edge and blade-play fixed B brewbear . Blade wobble is something I really couldn't stand to live with either :thumbsup: As well as 'Mah knife', I think @Cambertree also has 'Mah gun', 'Mah house', and 'Mah car' ;) :D :thumbsup:

Very beautiful covers on that Guardians Lambfoot:thumbsup:. Love all the figuring in the wood.:D

Thank you Bill :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, Friday's here, so I hope everyone has made it through the week OK, particularly those of you who have to leave home for work. Can't say I'm enjoying the lockdown here much, particularly with no end in sight. I've got a couple of deliveries coming today, so I hope they can get through the snow OK. No fresh snow, but there's still a fair bit from yesterday, and I imagine a lot of it has turned to ice. Stay safe out there Guardians :thumbsup:

Back with my Hartshead Barlow today, and an old pic from when I could still go for a hike :thumbsup:

Wai7V0D.jpg

Thanks a lot Dan, I hope you enjoyed your mate :) :thumbsup:

Sounds like you have quickly become regular customers buddy! :D I love the way different peoples take their favourite foods with them as they travel, it certainly makes eating out more fun. Looks like plenty of choice in your empanada restaurant :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Glad you got the edge and blade-play fixed B brewbear . Blade wobble is something I really couldn't stand to live with either :thumbsup: As well as 'Mah knife', I think @Cambertree also has 'Mah gun', 'Mah house', and 'Mah car' ;) :D :thumbsup:

Thank you Bill :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, Friday's here, so I hope everyone has made it through the week OK, particularly those of you who have to leave home for work. Can't say I'm enjoying the lockdown here much, particularly with no end in sight. I've got a couple of deliveries coming today, so I hope they can get through the snow OK. No fresh snow, but there's still a fair bit from yesterday, and I imagine a lot of it has turned to ice. Stay safe out there Guardians :thumbsup:

Back with my Hartshead Barlow today, and an old pic from when I could still go for a hike :thumbsup:

Wai7V0D.jpg
Sorry that you have to endure the lockdown Jack:(. I think that we here in the US may need to resort to more drastic measures like a lockdown:eek:. I only go out for essentials and doctors visits. Don't know which scares me more:confused::eek:. I will venture out for a walk because so few people are out and about in the outdoors.:D Very nice photo of your excellent HHB.

Good morning Guardians and all. I haven't watched TV in awhile due to the cable company issues - some sort of technical problem but it feels good not to see all that viciousness that is a daily occurrence:thumbsup:. Been catching up on my reading and using my HHB as a worry stone.:D Recycled photo of the pile side;).
IMG_1299.JPG

Heineken always reminds me of my Aunt Edna complaining about the price of a Budweiser in Holland.
A3Ehj8b.jpg

LOL! :D My sister and brother-in-law had a swanky apartment in Puerto Buenos years ago, and took my parents on vacation with them. Apparently, one evening, at dinner, they and half the restaurant, had to listen to my mother complaining about the price of baked beans! :rolleyes: That a cool bottle-opener with your Lambsfoot there Jer :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Yx3YqFC.jpg

Welcome to the Guardians :) Nice composition, but just Lambsfoot knives here please, would you be kind enough to edit your post, otherwise I'm sure the companion to your Lambsfoot will be sure to attract attention? :) :thumbsup:

Sorry that you have to endure the lockdown Jack:(. I think that we here in the US may need to resort to more drastic measures like a lockdown:eek:. I only go out for essentials and doctors visits. Don't know which scares me more:confused::eek:. I will venture out for a walk because so few people are out and about in the outdoors.:D Very nice photo of your excellent HHB.

Good morning Guardians and all. I haven't watched TV in awhile due to the cable company issues - some sort of technical problem but it feels good not to see all that viciousness that is a daily occurrence:thumbsup:. Been catching up on my reading and using my HHB as a worry stone.:D Recycled photo of the pile side;).
View attachment 1491274

Thanks Bill, the death-rate there is terrifying, I hope things begin to get better soon :thumbsup:

Nice pile-side shot of your Hartshead Barlow :)

DUHHH! I blame my dullness on too many hours at work and very little sleep.
I will venture out for a walk because so few people are out and about in the outdoors.:D
Even then please, please wear a mask. My wife and mother in law walk around the neighborhood too and I insist they wear masks. Even with very few people around, this is a airborne pathogen and can "travel" a fair distance in the air.
Enjoy your day, I'm off to work. Stay safe Guardians.

DUHHH! I blame my dullness on too many hours at work and very little sleep.

Even then please, please wear a mask. My wife and mother in law walk around the neighborhood too and I insist they wear masks. Even with very few people around, this is a airborne pathogen and can "travel" a fair distance in the air.
Enjoy your day, I'm off to work. Stay safe Guardians.

;) My thoughts are with you and your colleagues my friend :thumbsup:

I've been clearing paths with my neighbour today. I have to say, he did most of the work while I was making Irish coffees ;) His kids made a snowman in their garden :)

lMMhaBO.jpg

They made a larger one in the rear garden yesterday, but it looks like it got body-slammed by Pooh bear :rolleyes:

PdnQcU3.jpg

Back