Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Received my first lamb foot knife this afternoon. Pull was about 10+, so will work on that tomorrow. There was also a sharpening burr remaining on the pile side of the knife. It sharp enough to open boxes. It has jigged bone or delrin, will investigate in the AM. Also got a new Laguiole that will be worked over too. Photographic evidence to be supplied tomorrow.

-Mel

Received my first lamb foot knife this afternoon. Pull was about 10+, so will work on that tomorrow. There was also a sharpening burr remaining on the pile side of the knife. It sharp enough to open boxes. It has jigged bone or delrin, will investigate in the AM. Also got a new Laguiole that will be worked over too. Photographic evidence to be supplied tomorrow.

-Mel

Look forward to seeing your Lambsfoot Mel (just the Lambsfoot please, other knives belong in other threads) :thumbsup:

Score! Weekend getaway with the wife!!
TdaHwzx.jpg

Edit* I just realized I failed Dry January Jack Black Jack Black and Pàdruig Pàdruig

Last edited:
I have read it, just a few times. ;) :D Most of those times, it was the paperback in the middle. I read the 10th Anniversary hardcover once (it’s a slightly different “author’s preferred text”). The mass market paperback on top came out a couple years ago, and I bought it simply because I loved the retro-inspired cover (painted by Robert McGinnis). There’s a large-format hardcover annotated version that I’ll probably end up with at some point, too. :rolleyes:

Honestly, it’s one of my favorite books. It’s been a while since I read Anansi Boys, but I remember enjoying that one a lot, too. The two books are (sort of) connected. Personally I’d recommend reading American Gods first, but I don’t think it really matters all that much.

Thank you for the suggestion, Barrett. I don't think I knew that the two novels were connected - I will be sure to start with American Gods first when I get to them.

I agree with you 110% but healthcare folks aren't getting much of a break lately and time off is very scarce. Many of the measures taken are akin to closing the barn door after the cows got out and many times it is too little, too late. For the time being, I'll let you folks raise a glass, savor a good cigar and stay safe, coffee or tea (Harney & Sons Imperial Earl Grey at work and Winter White at home) will do for me.

Completely understandable. I admire our healthcare workers immensely - they are bearing the brunt of this awful pandemic. Stay safe.

Jack Black Jack Black , it's nice to see pictures of the festival again - I would enjoy attending such a gathering immensely - I might even fit in rather nicely :D.

AC again for me today.

EKV8OVr.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion, Barrett. I don't think I knew that the two novels were connected - I will be sure to start with American Gods first when I get to them.

Completely understandable. I admire our healthcare workers immensely - they are bearing the brunt of this awful pandemic. Stay safe.

Jack Black Jack Black , it's nice to see pictures of the festival again - I would enjoy attending such a gathering immensely - I might even fit in rather nicely :D.

AC again for me today.

EKV8OVr.jpg
That stag is outta this world!

Jack Black Jack Black , how do you like the damascus blade compared to the good ol' carbon steel?

Good question, but I may not be the best person to answer it. I've only carried the Ironwood model twice, maybe three times, and while I've carried my stag model a good deal more, it's only been used lightly. Both knives were sharp from the factory, and still are, but since I've barely used one, and the other has only been used for everyday cutting tasks, I wouldn't really expect anything else. As you'll see from the great patina he shows on his knives, Taylor tmd_87 tmd_87 gets to use them a lot more than most of us, and since he has one of the Damascus SFOs, he can probably give you a better answer than myself :thumbsup:

56GR4WC.jpg

Score! Weekend getaway with the wife!!
TdaHwzx.jpg

Edit* I just realized I failed Dry January Jack Black Jack Black and Pàdruig Pàdruig

Yay! :) Have a great time Taylor :) :thumbsup:

Oops! :eek: :rolleyes: Great pic of your Hartshead Barlow though mate! :D ;) :thumbsup:

AC again for me today.

EKV8OVr.jpg

I think you'd have a great Dylan :D Maybe one day my friend :) Your AC is looking good - definitely not an Epsilon! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, it's my mate's little lad's birthday today, so they are going to call round for his present. I've had a very dull week, so it'll be nice to see them. The weather is better today too, still cold, but at least it isn't raining :) Have a good day Guardians, and stay safe out there :thumbsup:

7RNWj1k.jpg

Good question, but I may not be the best person to answer it. I've only carried the Ironwood model twice, maybe three times, and while I've carried my stag model a good deal more, it's only been used lightly. Both knives were sharp from the factory, and still are, but since I've barely used one, and the other has only been used for everyday cutting tasks, I wouldn't really expect anything else. As you'll see from the great patina he shows on his knives, Taylor tmd_87 tmd_87 gets to use them a lot more than most of us, and since he has one of the Damascus SFOs, he can probably give you a better answer than myself :thumbsup:

56GR4WC.jpg

Yay! :) Have a great time Taylor :) :thumbsup:

Oops! :eek: :rolleyes: Great pic of your Hartshead Barlow though mate! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I think you'd have a great Dylan :D Maybe one day my friend :) Your AC is looking good - definitely not an Epsilon! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, it's my mate's little lad's birthday today, so they are going to call round for his present. I've had a very dull week, so it'll be nice to see them. The weather is better today too, still cold, but at least it isn't raining :) Have a good day Guardians, and stay safe out there :thumbsup:

7RNWj1k.jpg
Great photos of your HHB and also that wonderful Damascus Lambfoot:thumbsup: I assume that the HHB background is wrapping paper - really nice.:D I love to watch little kids open gifts.:DGlad your weather is improving. Extended times of rain and gloom really can affect my overall attitude...and not for the better either.:( The good thing about it is that when things get better outside it makes you appreciate the sunshine that much more:).

Good morning Guardians and all. Today is starting off with a bang - going to meet with a contractor about building a boat dock on our canal in the back yard as pictured below.
image.jpeg
Today I am carrying my HHB.

IMG_2869.JPG

Lovely pics :) :thumbsup:

Great photos of your HHB and also that wonderful Damascus Lambfoot:thumbsup: I assume that the HHB background is wrapping paper - really nice.:D I love to watch little kids open gifts.:DGlad your weather is improving. Extended times of rain and gloom really can affect my overall attitude...and not for the better either.:( The good thing about it is that when things get better outside it makes you appreciate the sunshine that much more:).

Good morning Guardians and all. Today is starting off with a bang - going to meet with a contractor about building a boat dock on our canal in the back yard as pictured below.
View attachment 1495540
Today I am carrying my HHB.

View attachment 1495541

Thanks a lot Bill :) Yes, that's wrapping paper :D With the way things have been this year, I didn't see my pal's 3 kids open their Christmas presents, so it was nice to see his youngest, Idris, ripping that paper off today. The eldest lad is at school, but their sister came, and we had coffee, and sausage rolls, and doughnuts in the garden :) It's actually quite a nice day here today, but still cold. Unfortunately, I scalded my hand quite badly earlier, so I was glad to have a decent first-aid kit! o_O :thumbsup:

4c57Gzb.jpg

That sounds like an exciting project Bill, very cool :) I am having my back-fence re-built today (less exciting)! :D :thumbsup:

Lovely pics :) :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Bill :) Yes, that's wrapping paper :D With the way things have been this year, I didn't see my pal's 3 kids open their Christmas presents, so it was nice to see his youngest, Idris, ripping that paper off today. The eldest lad is at school, but their sister came, and we had coffee, and sausage rolls, and doughnuts in the garden :) It's actually quite a nice day here today, but still cold. Unfortunately, I scalded my hand quite badly earlier, so I was glad to have a decent first-aid kit! o_O :thumbsup:

4c57Gzb.jpg

That sounds like an exciting project Bill, very cool :) I am having my back-fence re-built today (less exciting)! :D :thumbsup:
Ouch! That looks painful!:eek: Sorry to see that you got a nasty burn there. Hope it gets better soon Jack.:thumbsup: Take care my friend.

Jack, so sorry for your hand trouble, mend quickly! I enjoyed some oolong this morning from my little two-tone bamboo Yixing pot.

bZSp1CP.jpg

Ouch! That looks painful!:eek: Sorry to see that you got a nasty burn there. Hope it gets better soon Jack.:thumbsup: Take care my friend.

Thanks a lot fellers, my right hand is very pink, and certainly sore, but it's a heck of a lot better than I think it would have been without a swift intervention. Think I'm going to give up on my Aeropress coffee-maker, and go back to using a French press, that's the third time the darn thing has come apart on me o_O Beautiful teapot Jeff, and RALF is looking good :) :thumbsup:

Congratulations on the new addition, looking forward to the pics. Look at @Cambertree's post #1270 (you can find it in the indexed pages) for hints and tips on fine tuning of your knives.
After cleaning with denatured alcohol, I oiled with 3 in 1 oil. Pull is manageable. Spring is flat. Cover is probably some sort of plastic (delrin maybe). I can make out Sheffield on the mark, but nothing else.There are scratches on the blade so it is probably not new. Bolster is probably brass, liners either steel or nickel silver. Once I have some more Lamb foot knives, I will decide on recovering. I have a couple of types of rosewood, cocobolo, plain bone, and sambar.

-Mel

Back