Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Lambsfoot knife only. Cleaned upView attachment 1495632 , pull is about 8 now.

View attachment 1495633

After cleaning with denatured alcohol, I oiled with 3 in 1 oil. Pull is manageable. Spring is flat. Cover is probably some sort of plastic (delrin maybe). I can make out Sheffield on the mark, but nothing else.There are scratches on the blade so it is probably not new. Bolster is probably brass, liners either steel or nickel silver. Once I have some more Lamb foot knives, I will decide on recovering. I have a couple of types of rosewood, cocobolo, plain bone, and sambar.

-Mel

Looking good Mel :cool: :) :thumbsup: I am on my phone right now, but that looks like bone, and jigged in a classic Sheffield pattern. I would think the bolsters are nickel silver, which contains no silver, and is almost entirely brass. The Sheffield cutlers often used the cheapest type, which looks most like plain brass. The liners are probably either brass or steel, but I would not expect them to be nickel silver. It's a shame that there's no discernible mark, apart from Sheffield. Is the mark worn, or has it never had one, do you think? Looks like a nice find. Welcome to the Guardians :) :thumbsup:

Edit - Is there any chance you could take a close-up of the stamp Mel, it appears to have a horizontal line running across it?

Here's a Unity Lambsfoot, which uses a similar jigging pattern.

dSBBMiT.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Barrett, I'll post a few old pics below :) I'm afraid my pastie was just from the supermarket :rolleyes: Cool pic buddy :) :thumbsup:

BXSYH3y.jpg

3YFKtrB.jpg

GLr761h.jpg

YzTefB0.jpg

VbimYLX.jpg

KI9hq5G.jpg

Thanks for reposting some of those photos, Jack! :thumbsup: I had to zoom in on that first one to see if he was one of those anachronistic smartphone-wielding Vikings. :D Sorry again you’ll be missing out this year. :(

Good morning Guardians, it's a brighter day today, and I feel I should venture out for some fresh air before the next downpour. I hope everyone is doing well :) Thought I'd go swanky today with a knife I know our friend Ron @Half/Stop loved :) Have a good day Guardians, stay safe out there :thumbsup:

J3vJarA.jpg

Nice photo! :thumbsup: I read that one a while back and enjoyed it. (I don’t think there’s much I’ve read from Neil Gaiman that I haven’t liked.) Also, that knife, with its intricately filed backspring, pairs well with Mjölnir. :D

Thank you for the suggestion, Barrett. I don't think I knew that the two novels were connected - I will be sure to start with American Gods first when I get to them.

Jack Black Jack Black , it's nice to see pictures of the festival again - I would enjoy attending such a gathering immensely - I might even fit in rather nicely :D.

AC again for me today.

EKV8OVr.jpg

Dylan, based on photos you’ve shared before, I think you would definitely fit in at the Viking Festival! :D

Nice photo. :thumbsup: I’ve noticed whenever you include a book in your photos, they’re always nicely bound editions like that one. I imagine your bookshelves (that is, the books on them, not the shelves themselves) probably look a lot nicer and more orderly than mine. ;) I have to admit that I generally prefer paperbacks to hardcover books. I find them more comfortable to hold while reading, and easier to take with me somewhere. I will buy a hardcover book if it’s something new that I want and I don’t have any other option, but if given the choice, I’ll buy the trade paperback every time.

Here’s an interesting book. I haven’t read it cover to cover, but I’ve thumbed through it many times, and read bits and pieces. I find the handwritten notes particularly fascinating, and the contents of the book are laid out really well.

RRvMTQt.jpg

I hope all you Guardians are having a good day. This corned beef sandwich I had for lunch has been the highlight of my day so far. :D

ev2VYbK.jpg

Thanks for reposting some of those photos, Jack! :thumbsup: I had to zoom in on that first one to see if he was one of those anachronistic smartphone-wielding Vikings. :D Sorry again you’ll be missing out this year. :(

I always manage to catch a few naughty Vikings! :D ;) Thanks buddy, hopefully Ragnarok won't come before next year! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

9kPW6s6.jpg

AE1H73h.jpg

wGOH3Q1.jpg

uDyemKu.jpg

Nice photo! :thumbsup: I read that one a while back and enjoyed it. (I don’t think there’s much I’ve read from Neil Gaiman that I haven’t liked.) Also, that knife, with its intricately filed backspring, pairs well with Mjölnir. :D

Thanks Barrett, I thought it was a good re-telling :) I first came across Neil Gaiman in the late 1980's when he was writing occasional stories for 2000AD, so it's funny to see how famous he has become :) The smartphones used to be a source of shame and rebuke, but they're not even hiding them anymore, and are taking selfies openly. I definitely noticed a big Vikings influence last year :rolleyes:

Here’s an interesting book. I haven’t read it cover to cover, but I’ve thumbed through it many times, and read bits and pieces. I find the handwritten notes particularly fascinating, and the contents of the book are laid out really well.

RRvMTQt.jpg

I hope all you Guardians are having a good day. This corned beef sandwich I had for lunch has been the highlight of my day so far. :D

ev2VYbK.jpg

Interesting-looking book Barrett, and a great background for your Lambsfoot :) Wow! That's a colourful corned beef sandwich! :cool: It looks very impressive :) :thumbsup:

Two more in today's post.Both new, 1 Rodgers and a Wostenholme. They are from Eggington Group, so no real connection to traditional cutlers. Glad to have gotten the names as I have numerous straight razors from them, mostly mid-nineteenth century. I also have several Wade and Butchers and Elliot from that period. The Rodgers is about 6 pull, nice snap closing, blade is centered, spring is flat open and closed. Both sharp out of the box; however, the one point is that they rounded the tips in sharpening.

-Mel

Last edited:
Two more in today's post.Both new, 1 Rodgers and a Wostenholme. They are from Eggington Group, so no real connection to traditional cutlers. ....The Rodgers is about 6 pull, nice snap closing, blade is centered, spring is flat open and closed. Both sharp out of the box; however, the one point is that they rounded the tips in sharpening.

-Mel

Sounds like you have the Lambsfoot bug Mel! :D Sorry to hear about the rounded tips, it's always a gamble getting anything from Eggington in my experience, but it sounds like you did better than average :) :thumbsup:

I can probably grind them out in a very short time. One thing about Eggington is they have a US distributor. That makes shipping time short and price is more than 50% lower than their UK store. Shipping time was 3 days.

-Mel

Thanks a lot fellers, my right hand is very pink, and certainly sore, but it's a heck of a lot better than I think it would have been without a swift intervention. Think I'm going to give up on my Aeropress coffee-maker, and go back to using a French press, that's the third time the darn thing has come apart on me o_O Beautiful teapot Jeff, and RALF is looking good :) :thumbsup:

I had not heard about the Aeropress thing until you mentioned it. I do have a French press. I looked at a YouTube video on the Aeropress, and can see how using that thing could be fraught with hazard! Teetering on the cup, pressure from the hand, the other hand holding the cup - one little slip and -- well you know too well the result.
I will give it a miss I think
Actually a couple of times a week, I go for a little hike to various places along the river that flows through our community in southern British Columbia, the Similkameen, and build a little fire and make some cowboy coffee. Just boil the water, toss in some coffee, bring it to a boil a few times, let it sit for a bit for the grounds to settle, and enjoy.

I think you'd have a great Dylan :D Maybe one day my friend :) Your AC is looking good - definitely not an Epsilon! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack - definitely nothing Epsilon-like about the AC, though it certainly is quite sturdy. :D

Thanks a lot fellers, my right hand is very pink, and certainly sore, but it's a heck of a lot better than I think it would have been without a swift intervention. Think I'm going to give up on my Aeropress coffee-maker, and go back to using a French press, that's the third time the darn thing has come apart on me o_O Beautiful teapot Jeff, and RALF is looking good :) :thumbsup:

Really sorry to hear about your mishap, my friend, burns are the worst. I hope you are quickly on the mend. I gave up on electric means of preparing my coffee a number of years ago - they don't provide me with much convenience and they are far more difficult to maintain. A French Press gets me through the day wonderfully - once you get your grind right, the rest is easy-peasy.

Great photos of your HHB and also that wonderful Damascus Lambfoot:thumbsup: I assume that the HHB background is wrapping paper - really nice.:D I love to watch little kids open gifts.:DGlad your weather is improving. Extended times of rain and gloom really can affect my overall attitude...and not for the better either.:( The good thing about it is that when things get better outside it makes you appreciate the sunshine that much more:).

Good morning Guardians and all. Today is starting off with a bang - going to meet with a contractor about building a boat dock on our canal in the back yard as pictured below.
View attachment 1495540
Today I am carrying my HHB.

View attachment 1495541

Your canal and dock project reminded me of a pending project of my own - I aspire to rebuild and extend my deck with a pier over my backyard creek. A lofty goal but one that will serve us quite well in the future I think.

Dylan, based on photos you’ve shared before, I think you would definitely fit in at the Viking Festival! :D

Nice photo. :thumbsup: I’ve noticed whenever you include a book in your photos, they’re always nicely bound editions like that one. I imagine your bookshelves (that is, the books on them, not the shelves themselves) probably look a lot nicer and more orderly than mine. ;) I have to admit that I generally prefer paperbacks to hardcover books. I find them more comfortable to hold while reading, and easier to take with me somewhere. I will buy a hardcover book if it’s something new that I want and I don’t have any other option, but if given the choice, I’ll buy the trade paperback every time.

RRvMTQt.jpg

Paperbacks, for sure, have their place and I have a great many of them. They are my traveling companions of choice. That said, if I have a passion even greater than knives, it would most certainly be books. I was a voracious reader in my youth and though I still am when I have the time these days, it is all dependent on the actual time I have. I have been collecting fine leather and cloth bound editions for years now, with the goal of having an heirloom library that I can pass down to my kids or grandkids, depending on the interest. I grew up with not only an immense in-home library but also ready access to a local one as well - it is a goal of mine to always have such a library in my home.

I have a nice library as it stands now but one can never have enough books (kind of like knives...:D).

I got the Stags out in preparation for Stag Saturday's choice - I haven't decided which will have the honors quite yet.

fHuchPT.jpg

Have you thought of using a Mocha Pot. An Italian friend of mine put me onto them, not expensive, easy to use, the only down side is, cleaning one after use, only takes about 5 minutes, but that is the only downside. Have a look on youtube and see what you think.:thumbsup: And i'd be sticking that other contraption -------------------------:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;).

I had not heard about the Aeropress thing until you mentioned it. I do have a French press. I looked at a YouTube video on the Aeropress, and can see how using that thing could be fraught with hazard! Teetering on the cup, pressure from the hand, the other hand holding the cup - one little slip and -- well you know too well the result.
Actually a couple of times a week, I go for a little hike to various places along the river that flows through our community in southern British Columbia, the Similkameen, and build a little fire and make some cowboy coffee. Just boil the water, toss in some coffee, bring it to a boil a few times, let it sit for a bit for the grounds to settle, and enjoy.
Don't forget the eggshells!
That's why cowboys always drove chickens with the cattle.
Lambsfoot content:
xbDeMHM.jpg

I can probably grind them out in a very short time. One thing about Eggington is they have a US distributor. That makes shipping time short and price is more than 50% lower than their UK store. Shipping time was 3 days.

-Mel

That makes sense :) :thumbsup:

Yes, and the two halves, (one of which holds the hot liquid), are just held together with friction :eek: Yesterday is the first time I've burned myself, but it has come apart on me 3 times now o_O What a beautiful area :) I also like to make a cup of coffee when I am out hiking, and bought the Aeropress (Travel model) for that purpose, largely because of it's light weight :rolleyes: When I lived in the Middle East as a teenager, we just boiled coffee in a small pot, and I soon got to enjoy it :) I've also used a small Vietnamese coffee-maker, but sometimes 'simple' is the best way :) :thumbsup:

5kXHfHy.jpg

Really sorry to hear about your mishap, my friend, burns are the worst. I hope you are quickly on the mend. I gave up on electric means of preparing my coffee a number of years ago - they don't provide me with much convenience and they are far more difficult to maintain. A French Press gets me through the day wonderfully - once you get your grind right, the rest is easy-peasy.

Thanks a lot Dylan, I'm very pleased not to have had a bad burn. I haven't had an electric coffee-maker since 1982 :D :) :thumbsup:

Your canal and dock project reminded me of a pending project of my own - I aspire to rebuild and extend my deck with a pier over my backyard creek. A lofty goal but one that will serve us quite well in the future I think.

Another interesting project :) Have you wet a line in your creek yet Dylan? :thumbsup:

Paperbacks, for sure, have their place and I have a great many of them. They are my traveling companions of choice. That said, if I have a passion even greater than knives, it would most certainly be books. I was a voracious reader in my youth and though I still am when I have the time these days, it is all dependent on the actual time I have. I have been collecting fine leather and cloth bound editions for years now, with the goal of having an heirloom library that I can pass down to my kids or grandkids, depending on the interest. I grew up with not only an immense in-home library but also ready access to a local one as well - it is a goal of mine to always have such a library in my home.

I have a nice library as it stands now but one can never have enough books (kind of like knives...:D).

I used to have a nice collection of very old books, but they were stolen many years ago :( I still have far more books than I have knives though, and I stopped counting the latter some years back when the number went past a thousand! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

I got the Stags out in preparation for Stag Saturday's choice - I haven't decided which will have the honors quite yet.

fHuchPT.jpg

Great to see those three together pal :) :thumbsup:

Have you thought of using a Mocha Pot. An Italian friend of mine put me onto them, not expensive, easy to use, the only down side is, cleaning one after use, only takes about 5 minutes, but that is the only downside. Have a look on youtube and see what you think.:thumbsup: And i'd be sticking that other contraption -------------------------:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;).

I used a Mocha Pot from the 1970's, until about 10 years ago, when I got a new gas cooker. The mocha pot won't fit on it, and though I bought a trivet, it wouldn't fit on that either :rolleyes: I've been using a French Press since then, but I came across the mocha pot last weekend, and I will be getting a new gas cooker soon ;) They are certainly a pain to clean though! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Don't forget the eggshells!
That's why cowboys always drove chickens with the cattle.
Lambsfoot content:
xbDeMHM.jpg

Interesting tip Jer :cool: :thumbsup:

Healing thoughts coming your way!

Many thanks my friend :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, it's dull here today, and cold, but at least it isn't raining, so I'm going to go out to buy bread, and have a walk round the neighbourhood. Hope some of you have something more exciting planned, but that you all have a great weekend :) Catch up with you later Guardians :thumbsup:

EZgOqOt.jpg

Back