Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I'm sure I've read of the eggshell ploy somewhere, but I can't find it offhand. I definitely saw it in the My World and Welcome to It episode where their new cook was afraid of electricity. Based on Thurber cartoons. I'll have to google for the actess who played William Windom's wise and compassionate wife.
j0FQpUP.jpg

This JoC recommends not putting a lightly beaten egg to clarify the coffee, because it impairs the flavor of the coffee.
Kephart says that only a few old timers now take the trouble to roast and grind their coffee "berries" with a frypan and a pistol-butt.

Thank you, Jack - definitely nothing Epsilon-like about the AC, though it certainly is quite sturdy. :D

Really sorry to hear about your mishap, my friend, burns are the worst. I hope you are quickly on the mend. I gave up on electric means of preparing my coffee a number of years ago - they don't provide me with much convenience and they are far more difficult to maintain. A French Press gets me through the day wonderfully - once you get your grind right, the rest is easy-peasy.

Your canal and dock project reminded me of a pending project of my own - I aspire to rebuild and extend my deck with a pier over my backyard creek. A lofty goal but one that will serve us quite well in the future I think.

Paperbacks, for sure, have their place and I have a great many of them. They are my traveling companions of choice. That said, if I have a passion even greater than knives, it would most certainly be books. I was a voracious reader in my youth and though I still am when I have the time these days, it is all dependent on the actual time I have. I have been collecting fine leather and cloth bound editions for years now, with the goal of having an heirloom library that I can pass down to my kids or grandkids, depending on the interest. I grew up with not only an immense in-home library but also ready access to a local one as well - it is a goal of mine to always have such a library in my home.

I have a nice library as it stands now but one can never have enough books (kind of like knives...:D).

I got the Stags out in preparation for Stag Saturday's choice - I haven't decided which will have the honors quite yet.

fHuchPT.jpg
Dylan, sounds like a worth while project on your end. If you do a complete rebuild/redesign with you use lumber or the synthetics?

That makes sense :) :thumbsup:

Yes, and the two halves, (one of which holds the hot liquid), are just held together with friction :eek: Yesterday is the first time I've burned myself, but it has come apart on me 3 times now o_O What a beautiful area :) I also like to make a cup of coffee when I am out hiking, and bought the Aeropress (Travel model) for that purpose, largely because of it's light weight :rolleyes: When I lived in the Middle East as a teenager, we just boiled coffee in a small pot, and I soon got to enjoy it :) I've also used a small Vietnamese coffee-maker, but sometimes 'simple' is the best way :) :thumbsup:

5kXHfHy.jpg

Thanks a lot Dylan, I'm very pleased not to have had a bad burn. I haven't had an electric coffee-maker since 1982 :D :) :thumbsup:

Another interesting project :) Have you wet a line in your creek yet Dylan? :thumbsup:

I used to have a nice collection of very old books, but they were stolen many years ago :( I still have far more books than I have knives though, and I stopped counting the latter some years back when the number went past a thousand! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Great to see those three together pal :) :thumbsup:

I used a Mocha Pot from the 1970's, until about 10 years ago, when I got a new gas cooker. The mocha pot won't fit on it, and though I bought a trivet, it wouldn't fit on that either :rolleyes: I've been using a French Press since then, but I came across the mocha pot last weekend, and I will be getting a new gas cooker soon ;) They are certainly a pain to clean though! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Interesting tip Jer :cool: :thumbsup:

Many thanks my friend :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, it's dull here today, and cold, but at least it isn't raining, so I'm going to go out to buy bread, and have a walk round the neighbourhood. Hope some of you have something more exciting planned, but that you all have a great weekend :) Catch up with you later Guardians :thumbsup:

EZgOqOt.jpg
Interesting patch there Jack:D. For a hike your little portable gas fired unit looks just right:thumbsup:. I use an electric hot water heater at home and it will boil 12 cups of water in about 3 minutes. Great for our morning tea. Your HHB is lookin' good.

A canned picture of my WCLF to remind me what sunshine looks like as it is snowing here today.

aqhFonR.jpg
Very nice photo of you WCLF Ed.

Good morning to everyone. Here in South Coastal NC it's a beautiful sunny day and warming up:D. Doing some grouting and caulking work. What a pain in the tuchus.:eek:
IMG_2751.JPG

Interesting patch there Jack:D. For a hike your little portable gas fired unit looks just right:thumbsup:. I use an electric hot water heater at home and it will boil 12 cups of water in about 3 minutes. Great for our morning tea. Your HHB is lookin' good.

Very nice photo of you WCLF Ed.

Good morning to everyone. Here in South Coastal NC it's a beautiful sunny day and warming up:D. Doing some grouting and caulking work. What a pain in the tuchus.:eek:
View attachment 1496162

Thanks Bill, that's one of my wee titanium twig stoves, but on that occasion I'm burning alcohol gel. It weighs almost nothing, packs flat, and is handy for making a mid-hike brew :) That's very impressive buddy :cool: Hope your day has improved, and that you get to put your feet up with a beer after your hard work :) :thumbsup:

Headed home, quick 3 day vacation. Hope all you Guardians are having a great weekend!
View attachment 1496434

Hope you enjoyed it Taylor :) That's a knife I owe some pocket time :) :thumbsup:

My newest addition to the flock. It started with a rather poor, coarse grind but I remedied that. I also lightened the pull from "dear God I need a pair of pliers" to a more manageable 8/9. I will most likely work on it a bit more when time permits.
20210123-145159.jpg

The edges and pulls seem to have got far worse on that company's knives over the past year or so. I have previously found the pulls quite acceptable, but one of the last knives I had from them, I struggled to open, even with pliers! Previously, while the edges on their standard knives, weren't always the sharpest, that was easy enough to put right, but the ugly edges they're putting on some of their knives now are hard to put right, when they come so far up the blade. It's one of the reasons I stopped buying their knives :( :thumbsup:

VUKjlzA.jpg

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I went out to pay a bill and pick up some bread yesterday, and ended up having a good stroll, of about 3 1/2 miles, round my neighbourhood, which is further than I've walked in well over a week :rolleyes: It was quite a nice day, and did enjoy it. A frosty start again today, but thankfully, no rain :) I thought I'd carry my Bagpipe Ebony SFO Big 'Un today. Have a nice Sunday Guardians :) :thumbsup:

n50iFzX.jpg

Hope you enjoyed it Taylor :) That's a knife I owe some pocket time :) :thumbsup:

The edges and pulls seem to have got far worse on that company's knives over the past year or so. I have previously found the pulls quite acceptable, but one of the last knives I had from them, I struggled to open, even with pliers! Previously, while the edges on their standard knives, weren't always the sharpest, that was easy enough to put right, but the ugly edges they're putting on some of their knives now are hard to put right, when they come so far up the blade. It's one of the reasons I stopped buying their knives :( :thumbsup:

VUKjlzA.jpg

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I went out to pay a bill and pick up some bread yesterday, and ended up having a good stroll, of about 3 1/2 miles, round my neighbourhood, which is further than I've walked in well over a week :rolleyes: It was quite a nice day, and did enjoy it. A frosty start again today, but thankfully, no rain :) I thought I'd carry my Bagpipe Ebony SFO Big 'Un today. Have a nice Sunday Guardians :) :thumbsup:

n50iFzX.jpg
Thanks Jack! It was a great time. I love South Lake Tahoe it's always nice to get up there. It's just a quick trip up the "hill" lol.

Here's some pics from a walk we went on.
OHVZcNR.jpg

Bp9RnJV.jpg

eoDlL4a.jpg

jKZNZD5.png

Pretty sad there was really no measurable snow at lake level. I'm glad it snowed the last night we were there and more storms stacked up in the Pacific that are supposed to dump more in the mountains.

True enough, in my experience their QC is rather shoddy and I have the feeling the blade thickness varies ever so slightly but I didn't measure to confirm that. Even so, they make an (somewhat)acceptable knife that takes a good edge and they seem to be among the last using carbon steel for their blades.
Wishing all a good day, stay healthy.

Latest herd

IMG_0077.jpg

Jack Black Jack Black

Could not get a clean shot of my first Lamb Foot knife. The other jigged ?bone? is C E Slinn & CO. It has brass bolster and steel or nickel silver liners.Open is about 8-9, snap close. The cover on the mark side is short of the bolster. The mark side pins arre a bit proud of the cover. The pile side is a bit proud of the cover.The mark side cover has a crack from the first pin. The spring is level open and closed. The blade, both sides, shows hand sanding marks and is not a polish.

Have found the following:
Charles Edward Slinn (1880-1955) was a spring knife cutler, who was born in Sheffield, the son of Charles Slinn and his wife, Sarah. Charles Sen. was a brass turner and tape measure maker from Hathersage. Given the family’s address in Sheffield (Pearl Street), it seems likely that he worked for Chesterman’s, the renowned measuring tape manufacturer.

By 1911, Charles Edward was a spring-knife cutlery manager. In the early 1920s, he started his own firm, which was listed as C. Slinn & Co, spring knife manufacturer, Fitzwilliam Lane. It operated at that address until the early 1950s.

Charles Edward Slinn, of 40 Rosedale Road, died on 22 July 1955, leaving £934

Back