Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Jack Black

Gold Member
I'm doing fine Jack, thank you sir and same to you!
Stunning photo, my friend. What a knife you came up with there. A true classic.;)

Glad to hear it Mark, thank you for your kind words buddy :) :thumbsup:

Human perception is an amazing thing, you have been through a terrible winter, today is our last official day of Summer, woke to 50 degrees and had that distinct Autumn chill to it. You are finding 52 degrees summer like and i am finding it cold.o_O:rolleyes::thumbsup:.

Don't go catching a cold Leon :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

I forgot to take my camera out with me this evening, but just managed to kneel down long enough to take one with my phone :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

ACtC-3dcZ9d8CGTwy-WuUKDlaA5_ETNo8HwIdg8cLlODZoSqiyqzu4R1sM3UQ1uiFGCdBlmR0tqYobVOnsjLiAVEilIVFZsnRE3h31MGxw7RjDS8pV6WKg1wv7okqo09nu75YXN-PX_uuo2NnYNXUJOVn6tn=w469-h625-no

scrteened porch

Gold Member
Great to "see" you Dennis! Hope all is well with you!:thumbsup:

Inspired by scrteened porch scrteened porch 's window pics with all the snow...
It's a balmy 52 degrees F today and feels like summer!:confused:
9oTNNlf.jpg

Jack Black Jack Black - Loved your photos of your HHB and the new flowers popping up in your garden! Hope you're keeping well my friend.:thumbsup:
It was near 50 degrees here today. The snow is almost gone from my north roof valley.
Wz82oYC.jpg

Campbellclanman

Platinum Member
Well Jack, I managed to put a nice edge onto the Ol'Girl, there was a little bit of Upsweep toward the Tip- I seemed to have found my method now to stop doing this, The Bone has cleaned up real nice, like I said in the earlier post, every night I would spend an Hour or so with a Bamboo pick- man it got to testing my patience as I think "Yeah...that looks great- wipe it all down with Mineral Oil and then out come all these tiny wee teenie specs of White that are stuck on like Glue!!! :eek::(
The Bone and it's Jig work look so nice Now, the Blade is Hair Shaving Sharp- welcome back to being a very cool Knife!

Before...
66oK6Wv.jpg

tvqMasg.jpg

After...
hqkibhR.jpg

S5Uen7u.jpg

Jack Black

Gold Member
It was near 50 degrees here today. The snow is almost gone from my north roof valley.
Wz82oYC.jpg

Sounds like Spring is on the way at last Jer :) That's a cool pic there, what is the story behind the background? Your trusty Rosewood Big 'Un is looking good, as always :thumbsup:

Well Jack, I managed to put a nice edge onto the Ol'Girl, there was a little bit of Upsweep toward the Tip- I seemed to have found my method now to stop doing this, The Bone has cleaned up real nice, like I said in the earlier post, every night I would spend an Hour or so with a Bamboo pick- man it got to testing my patience as I think "Yeah...that looks great- wipe it all down with Mineral Oil and then out come all these tiny wee teenie specs of White that are stuck on like Glue!!! :eek::(
The Bone and it's Jig work look so nice Now, the Blade is Hair Shaving Sharp- welcome back to being a very cool Knife!

Before...
66oK6Wv.jpg

tvqMasg.jpg

After...
hqkibhR.jpg

S5Uen7u.jpg

Well done Duncan, you have a great deal of patience and perseverance my friend, and it has certainly paid off my friend :) Fantastic job, you have a really nice knife there now :cool: Thanks for the Before and After pics, that knife is something special :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, it's another warm and sunny day here in Yorkshire, and it would be easy to forget we're not even into March yet. Sitting at my desk, with the low midwinter sun on me is actually a little uncomfortably hot! :D I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend, and that you have a relaxing and peaceful Sunday :) I have a few chores to do in the house, and then I think I'm going to try and get out and enjoy some of this sunshine. Slipping my Sambar DamLamb in my pocket :) :thumbsup:

lFlFCCx.jpg

scrteened porch

Gold Member
I've said it before and i'll say it again, love the wood on your Lamb.:thumbsup:.
Thanks. And thanks to Jack, of course.
Sounds like Spring is on the way at last Jer :) That's a cool pic there, what is the story behind the background? Your trusty Rosewood Big 'Un is looking good, as always
Yup, thanks, Rose Beast is a beauty. The painted rock will have been a present to Mom from my niece who painted this bird also.
S36spAY.jpg

The same niece, who when I was so proud of my first jack-o-lantern in decades, sent a picture of the twenty or so more inspired and better executed ones that she had just done.

Jack Black

Gold Member

Yup, thanks, Rose Beast is a beauty. The painted rock will have been a present to Mom from my niece who painted this bird also.
S36spAY.jpg

The same niece, who when I was so proud of my first jack-o-lantern in decades, sent a picture of the twenty or so more inspired and better executed ones that she had just done.

She's clearly very talented Jer :) :thumbsup:

Onebigbill

Gold Member

Before...
66oK6Wv.jpg

tvqMasg.jpg

After...
hqkibhR.jpg

S5Uen7u.jpg
Nice work and look what was found under all that:). A treasure to be sure:thumbsup:.

Sounds like Spring is on the way at last Jer :) That's a cool pic there, what is the story behind the background? Your trusty Rosewood Big 'Un is looking good, as always :thumbsup:

Well done Duncan, you have a great deal of patience and perseverance my friend, and it has certainly paid off my friend :) Fantastic job, you have a really nice knife there now :cool: Thanks for the Before and After pics, that knife is something special :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, it's another warm and sunny day here in Yorkshire, and it would be easy to forget we're not even into March yet. Sitting at my desk, with the low midwinter sun on me is actually a little uncomfortably hot! :D I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend, and that you have a relaxing and peaceful Sunday :) I have a few chores to do in the house, and then I think I'm going to try and get out and enjoy some of this sunshine. Slipping my Sambar DamLamb in my pocket :) :thumbsup:

lFlFCCx.jpg
Jack, very nice photo and glad to hear your weather is cooperating:thumbsup:.

S36spAY.jpg

The watercolor is really very nice:thumbsup:. Thanks for sharing.

I'm very sad to have to report that Stan Shaw passed away on Friday :( Thought I'd carry the Lambsfoot he made me a few years ago. RIP Stan :thumbsup:

l8wdcop.jpg

oYR5mHX.jpg

Jack, Very sorry to hear about Stan:(. Based on your writings he was a terrific person and I'm sure will be missed by many.

Today is starting out very warm and sunny - may hit 80 like it did yesterday:D. Took the opportunity to take a photo or two of my HHB outside.
IMG_2947.JPG

Jack Black

Gold Member
Jack, very nice photo and glad to hear your weather is cooperating:thumbsup:.

Jack, Very sorry to hear about Stan:(. Based on your writings he was a terrific person and I'm sure will be missed by many.

Today is starting out very warm and sunny - may hit 80 like it did yesterday:D. Took the opportunity to take a photo or two of my HHB outside.
View attachment 1518041

Thank you Bill, I doubt anyone who met Stan could fail to be impressed by him. I am lucky to have spent many hours with him, and while I was always very grateful for his unique insight into traditional cutlery practices, I think the times I'll remember most are the many times he made me chuckle, not always intentionally I have to say :) He always had a twinkle in his eye, and was a great bloke :thumbsup:

That is quite a turn-around weather-wise my friend :) I don't think it is that hot here, but it is comfortable T-shirt weather outdoors, and considerably warmer in my living room. Enjoy your day Bill, that's an excellent shot :cool: :thumbsup:

WhittlinAway

Gold Member
I’m so sorry to hear of Stan’s passing, Jack. I know you were friends and that you admired him. I hope the pain of your loss is lessened by the happy memories of him that you have, many of which you’ve shared with us.

Thank you Bill, I doubt anyone who met Stan could fail to be impressed by him. I am lucky to have spent many hours with him, and while I was always very grateful for his unique insight into traditional cutlery practices, I think the times I'll remember most are the many times he made me chuckle, not always intentionally I have to say :) He always had a twinkle in his eye, and was a great bloke :thumbsup:

I never had the pleasure of meeting Stan, but the above is the lasting impression I have of him based on all that you’ve shared with us over the years. He sounded like a special individual, indeed. He will be missed.

brewbear

Basic Member
Jack, I am so very sorry to hear about Mr. Shaw's passing. It is a loss to us as collectors, a loss to tradition and a huge loss to his family and friends. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Ted aka brewbear

Jack Black

Gold Member
Inspired by scrteened porch scrteened porch 's window pics with all the snow...
It's a balmy 52 degrees F today and feels like summer!:confused:
9oTNNlf.jpg

Jack Black Jack Black - Loved your photos of your HHB and the new flowers popping up in your garden! Hope you're keeping well my friend.:thumbsup:

Mark, my apologies for missing your post until now my friend, that's a stunning pic :cool: Thank you for your very kind words :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Duncan, he is our joy indeed especially after the tragic loss of our previous dog.
Here is him last year when we brought him home :)

hJcv51b.jpg

Knife content :)

Gggs89C.jpg

Howdy Dennis :)

Such a cutie! :) :thumbsup:

Sorry for the loss of your friend Jack. He radiates happiness and peace in that picture, must have been a joy to be around him.
I enjoyed reading the article in the paper about his extraordinary life.

Thank you kindly Dan, I certainly treasure the time I spent with Stan. Geoffrey Tweedale has written a couple of excellent (short) books about Stan if you ever get a chance to read them (I've given a few copies of one of them away here in the past) :thumbsup:

I’m so sorry to hear of Stan’s passing, Jack. I know you were friends and that you admired him. I hope the pain of your loss is lessened by the happy memories of him that you have, many of which you’ve shared with us.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Stan, but the above is the lasting impression I have of him based on all that you’ve shared with us over the years. He sounded like a special individual, indeed. He will be missed.

Thank you very much Greg, he was certainly a special man, not 'The last of the Little Mesters', as is sometimes said, but certainly the last spring knife cutler with a direct link to the 19th century, through his mentor Ted Osborn, and to the great days of the Sheffield cutlery industry. Stan's humorous and scathing tales about Sheffield's 'gaffers and greats', (both past and present), are some of the things which will probably stay with me longest :) :thumbsup:

Jack, I am so very sorry to hear about Mr. Shaw's passing. It is a loss to us as collectors, a loss to tradition and a huge loss to his family and friends. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Ted aka brewbear

Thank you Ted, that's very kind, I know Stan's family are going to miss him a lot :( :thumbsup: