Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

My signature line got me thinking that a fried Spam sandwich would be good for lunch.:) Sliced of course by my Buffalo Horn "Big-un" .

z8UqbEU.jpg
Tastey looking!:thumbsup:

I'm having leek and potato soup for my mid-day meal (historically called dinner), and thought I'd ask my elderly neighbours if they would like some. You wouldn't think it from the way they dress and live, but they're both from very privileged backgrounds, and loaded. They were favourable to the idea, but then we had to negotiate in what form I was going to take the soup round. I suggested a food flask, but it has to be in a saucepan. Just as I was leaving, I was instructed, "We have lunch at 1.00pm." Yes, m'lady! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

images
Jack, my father always called our mid-day respite dinner and our evening meal was "supper".
Nice photo:thumbsup:.

Good morning to you Guardians and all. Today I will be carrying this:IMG_2944.JPG

I'm having leek and potato soup for my mid-day meal (historically called dinner), and thought I'd ask my elderly neighbours if they would like some. You wouldn't think it from the way they dress and live, but they're both from very privileged backgrounds, and loaded. They were favourable to the idea, but then we had to negotiate in what form I was going to take the soup round. I suggested a food flask, but it has to be in a saucepan. Just as I was leaving, I was instructed, "We have lunch at 1.00pm." Yes, m'lady! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

images
Next time it's their turn.

Jack, my father always called our mid-day respite dinner and our evening meal was "supper".
Nice photo:thumbsup:.

Good morning to you Guardians and all. Today I will be carrying this:View attachment 1518786

Here in Britain, today, like many things in British life, social class tends to determine whether one says 'lunch' or 'dinner', but 'dinner' has a vastly longer history (as does 'supper') among all classes. During the days when the midday meal in English schools was still officially called 'dinner', former prime minister Margaret Thatcher, during a visit to one such establishment, famously said, "There's no such thing as 'dinner', it's 'lunch'!" This betrays a rather astonishing lack of education in terms of fairly recent history, when obedience to the factory clock, and a push for continuous production, found 'dinner' inconvenient during the middle of the day. Prior to the introduction of artificial lighting of course, most workers and labourers would have already have been working many hours by the time noon arrived. From what I've read about the diet of Sheffield cutlers and cutlery apprentices, they didn't get a great deal to eat in the evening at all, though the former certainly sustained themselves with ample quantities of ale :rolleyes:

Thanks Bill, that's a great one of your Hartshead Barlow :cool: :thumbsup:

Next time it's their turn.

They have been talking about inviting me round for one of their homemade curries for the past 5 years! :D ;) :thumbsup:

AAIAxXI.jpg

Breezy St David's Day.
f8v7g96.jpg

Sorry for missing St David's Day Jer, it's nice to see you flying the flag :) :thumbsup:

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus :thumbsup:

I was going to post the Twin Town version, but there was a little spicy language included ;)

They have been talking about inviting me round for one of their homemade curries for the past 5 years! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Sorry for missing St David's Day Jer, it's nice to see you flying the flag :) :thumbsup:

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus :thumbsup:

I was going to post the Twin Town version, but there was a little spicy language included ;)
Nice. Thanks.

I meant, braf, diolch, wrth gwrs.
68DNTS8.jpg

That's an interesting recipe Jer :cool: Nice patina on your '18 too :) :thumbsup:

Back in the 1980's, for the very first time, an extremely prestigious annual singing contest in Wales, was won by a male voice choir from England. Bizarrely, the choir were from a pretty rough pub on the edge of Sheffield. Perhaps, the trusting Welsh men in blazers didn't realise this when they handed over the main prize, an ornate glass bowl, perhaps a Wassail Bowl, which the winning choir were to retain until the following year's contest. The rough Sheffielders boozed their way back from Wales on a hired coach (bus), arriving at the pub mid-evening, where they continued to party. Unfortunately, at some point, the beautiful prize, which had been placed on the bar, was knocked off, and smashed into a thousand pieces! :eek: :eek: o_O

I'm a bit disappointed with my choice of calendar this year. It was expensive, and while it contains some genuinely calendar-worthy shots, they're padded out with mediocre ones :rolleyes:

I23HZVn.jpg

Nothing on my calendar apart from my Covid vaccinations, which having heard absolutely nothing from my doctor, I've just gone ahead and booked myself. First one is on the 10th :thumbsup:

Sorry about the calendar, Jack.

I feel like the vaccination process in England should take place in your nearest pub and come with a complimentary pint. :D

Here in Britain, today, like many things in British life, social class tends to determine whether one says 'lunch' or 'dinner', but 'dinner' has a vastly longer history (as does 'supper') among all classes. During the days when the midday meal in English schools was still officially called 'dinner', former prime minister Margaret Thatcher, during a visit to one such establishment, famously said, "There's no such thing as 'dinner', it's 'lunch'!" This betrays a rather astonishing lack of education in terms of fairly recent history, when obedience to the factory clock, and a push for continuous production, found 'dinner' inconvenient during the middle of the day. Prior to the introduction of artificial lighting of course, most workers and labourers would have already have been working many hours by the time noon arrived. From what I've read about the diet of Sheffield cutlers and cutlery apprentices, they didn't get a great deal to eat in the evening at all, though the former certainly sustained themselves with ample quantities of ale :rolleyes:

If lunch is dinner and dinner is supper, when’s tea? ;) :D

I've been using this Snakewood recover by Jason Signalprick Signalprick . The patina is coming back after the recover and the figuring in the Snakewood is becoming more prominent with use. First class job by Jason.

rjmXgeF.jpg
Looking classy Ed! :thumbsup:

Sorry about the calendar, Jack.

I feel like the vaccination process in England should take place in your nearest pub and come with a complimentary pint. :D

Not to worry Barrett, I've bought worse things! :D :thumbsup:

They'd certainly get more people in that way! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

If lunch is dinner and dinner is supper, when’s tea? ;) :D

It depends when, where, and who you are my friend ;) For working-class people, that's the meal they eat when they come home from work (supper is what you have when you come in from the pub!). For British officers in WW1, that was when they got Baldrick to toast them a muffin (An ENGLISH muffin!), at 4.00pm sharp, and the Germans knew that the British guns would stop firing :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

always called our mid-day respite dinner and our evening meal was "supper".
I'll throw my 2 Bobs worth in. Every where and every country has different terms for most things. Times change as does the vocabulary, there are now words and sayings that you don't hear anymore, and if a person under a certain age did here some of these words or sayings they would have no idea what they meant. We always called the mid-day meal Lunch, and the evening meal was always Tea, or Tea Time. :).

That's an interesting recipe Jer :cool: Nice patina on your '18 too :) :thumbsup:
Unfortunately, at some point, the beautiful prize, which had been placed on the bar, was knocked off, and smashed into a thousand pieces! :eek: :eek: o_O
That's why these things should be made of silver! Erosion everywhere.
If lunch is dinner and dinner is supper, when’s tea? ;)

It depends when, where, and who you are my friend ;) For working-class people, that's the meal they eat when they come home from work (supper is what you have when you come in from the pub!). For British officers in WW1, that was when they got Baldrick to toast them a muffin (An ENGLISH muffin!), at 4.00pm sharp, and the Germans knew that the British guns would stop firing :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:
I was going to say, if you have to ask, you're not classy enough to have to worry about it.:D

I kinda doubt they'd do that, there isn't enough vaccine for all the people going around two or three times but I admit, that is a great idea:)
I was going to say, if you have to ask, you're not classy enough to have to worry about it.:D
You just made me snort coffee out my nose:confused:

Back