Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Speaking of pies, I found the white thing on the right that says just "Germany" on it while looking for something else. I think it must be a pie-funnel. The black one is Chinese and the Wade is Vietnamese (but designed in England, I'm sure. Great Aunt Edie had one just like it).
2xR2Mlt.jpg

Nice collection Jer :cool: I've seen ones just like that German one before, and the 'black bird' one is very traditional. Cool Wade, reminds me of Desperate Dan, whose favourite dish was Cow Pie! :D ;) :thumbsup:

vodvm99mt9921.jpg

Really?! :eek: :D Hope you have a great walk David :) National Pie Week?! They didn't advertise that very well did they, I feel robbed?! o_O Hope I can manage to fit one in tomorrow ;) That looks like a tasty treat my friend :thumbsup:

I heard about it keeping up with what the breweries are doing. :thumbsup:
Cracking walk today; with pie of course. I see you found some pie of your own :):thumbsup:
lvFcrjT.jpg

The Winchester? ;) :D

LOL! No. Not that Winchester. There normal in there. :D

Why wasn't i told:mad::mad::mad:;). I feel some sort of conspiracy theory:eek: like a clandestine club with secret membership and handshakes:rolleyes: and signals.o_O Not happy Jan.:D:D:D

Well we know you Aussies have excellent pies of your own that you keep to yourself, so we kept ours a secret. :D

Finally got my pie! :) :D ;) :thumbsup:

TwbSzg4.jpg

Looks like you rescued things there. :thumbsup:

Some pictures from my walk today. Forest of Bowland, County of Lancashire looking out towards the Yorkshire Dales in North Yorkshire.
CjvzdOk.jpg

WYPB6cw.jpg

vP5SO50.jpg

Hope your all having a nice Friday.

6B4BQyW.jpg

Last edited:
A few of us were talking about the words used for various meal-times recently, and I came across this one - 'Forenoon-Drinkin' - I was actually aware of the word before, but here it is in the 18th century book of Sheffield dialect words I've been reading. However, I don't think its use was restricted to Sheffield.

iv35LFx.jpg

I do like the idea of a second breakfast ;) I don't know if it's still the case, but when I first started work in the 70's, in the jobs where I started work early in the morning, we'd have a break anywhere between 8.00am and 10.00am for (second) 'breakfast', which could be anything from a hot drink and toast or a sandwich to a full cooked breakfast :) The first place I worked we just had a basic cabin, and the old 'facility' was a hot-water boiler, but I worked at other places with full canteens.

Sorting out breakfast was traditionally one of the jobs apprentices were assigned in the cutlery trade, and this included 'mashing' the tea. Sheffield artist and writer (and relation of donn donn ) George Cunningham, describes how, during WW2 (when there was strict rationing), each man would bring to work a twist of newspaper containing black tea, sugar, and a smear of condensed milk, and as 'breakfast' approached, the apprentice would boil the water, and deposit these packages directly into the kettle or boiler to make the tea. Even when I first started work, apprentices were sometimes expected to go and fetch sandwiches from a local shop or cafe, which was a pain in the backside, and could even leave you out of pocket o_O

I heard about it keeping up with what the breweries are doing. :thumbsup:
Cracking walk today; with pie of course. I see you found some pie of your won :):thumbsup:
lvFcrjT.jpg

LOL! No. Not that Winchester. There normal in there. :D

Well we know you Aussies have excellent pies of your own that you keep to yourself, so we kept ours a secret. :D

Looks like you rescued things there. :thumbsup:

Some pictures from my walk today. Forest of Bowland, County of Lancashire looking out towards the Yorkshire Dales in North Yorkshire.
CjvzdOk.jpg

WYPB6cw.jpg

vP5SO50.jpg

Hope your all having a nice Friday.

6B4BQyW.jpg

Those photos are absolutely fantastic David, it looks like you had a great walk :) :thumbsup:

A few of us were talking about the words used for various meal-times recently, and I came across this one - 'Forenoon-Drinkin' - I was actually aware of the word before, but here it is in the 18th century book of Sheffield dialect words I've been reading. However, I don't think its use was restricted to Sheffield.

iv35LFx.jpg

I do like the idea of a second breakfast ;) I don't know if it's still the case, but when I first started work in the 70's, in the jobs where I started work early in the morning, we'd have a break anywhere between 8.00am and 10.00am for (second) 'breakfast', which could be anything from a hot drink and toast or a sandwich to a full cooked breakfast :) The first place I worked we just had a basic cabin, and the old 'facility' was a hot-water boiler, but I worked at other places with full canteens.

Sorting out breakfast was traditionally one of the jobs apprentices were assigned in the cutlery trade, and this included 'mashing' the tea. Sheffield artist and writer (and relation of donn donn ) George Cunningham, describes how, during WW2 (when there was strict rationing), each man would bring to work a twist of newspaper containing black tea, sugar, and a smear of condensed milk, and as 'breakfast' approached, the apprentice would boil the water, and deposit these packages directly into the kettle or boiler to make the tea. Even when I first started work, apprentices were sometimes expected to go and fetch sandwiches from a local shop or cafe, which was a pain in the backside, and could even leave you out of pocket o_O

Second breakfast is very common in hospitals still. Day shift starts at 7:00am or 7:30am depending on your hospital. If there's time of course morning break is second breakfast and a bacon or sausage bap is common. Of course not all nurses get to have a breakfast before leaving home but most did as you couldn't rely on having time for 'second breakfast'.
But it's never an apprentice, it's whoever gets off the ward and has chance to run down to the canteen. :thumbsup:

I've never heard of 'forenoon-drinkin'; I'm wondering if it made it over 'wrong-side':D The only forenoon-drinkin I've ever come across was genuine forenoon-drinkin'. When I worked warehousing in Manchester's Department Stores it wasn't uncommon to find us all in the Shakespeare pub for our 'liquid lunch' when doors opened at 11am. :)

Had a great walk thanks Jack; it was the perfect day for it.

Great photos David. Like Jack says - looks like you had a great walk!!

Jack - Ron’s one is a nice Knife indeed. No my one probably won’t compare - but still hopefully it will be nice. My one has the different jigged Bone - I guess it will be a wait and see game - the sellers photos weren’t that great. :) :thumbsup:

Second breakfast is very common in hospitals still. Day shift starts at 7:00am or 7:30am depending on your hospital. If there's time of course morning break is second breakfast and a bacon or sausage bap is common. Of course not all nurses get to have a breakfast before leaving home but most did as you couldn't rely on having time for 'second breakfast'.
But it's never an apprentice, it's whoever gets off the ward and has chance to run down to the canteen. :thumbsup:

I've never heard of 'forenoon-drinkin'; I'm wondering if it made it over 'wrong-side':D The only forenoon-drinkin I've ever come across was genuine forenoon-drinkin'. When I worked warehousing in Manchester's Department Stores it wasn't uncommon to find us all in the Shakespeare pub for our 'liquid lunch' when doors opened at 11am. :)

Had a great walk thanks Jack; it was the perfect day for it.

I imagine so David :) I'll have to do some more research into 'forenoon-drinkin', but ale was always a common beverage, particularly among Sheffield cutlers :rolleyes: When I worked for Whitbread's brewery, we officially 'clocked-on' at 6.30am, but I was often there earlier, as we got paid anyway. We'd sit around and drink tea until breakfast at 7.45am or so. The canteen was actually subsidised, so everyone had a full breakfast. Then we'd start drinking - for the rest of the day! It was a great job! :D :thumbsup:

Fantastic, glad you enjoyed it :) :thumbsup:

Or sent down to the local hardware store to purchase a " Left Handed Shifting Spanner ".o_O:D:D:D:D:D:D.

Or a 'Long Stand'! ;) :D :thumbsup:

Jack - Ron’s one is a nice Knife indeed. No my one probably won’t compare - but still hopefully it will be nice. My one has the different jigged Bone - I guess it will be a wait and see game - the sellers photos weren’t that great. :) :thumbsup:

One of the nicest I've seen Duncan :) Fingers crossed my friend :) :thumbsup:

On Jacques Pepin's first day as an apprentice, he was sent chasing all over town to get the chef's souffle weights back from a borrower (who of course had lent them to another chef...).
fdYCtOQ.jpg

I was once at the post office in a small village where I used to go fishing, when a lad about the same age as me came in asking for a 'Sky-hook'. The lady behind the counter suggested they might have one at the pub, and off he went. She told me that the garage had taken on a new apprentice, and that he'd be sent all round the village. Fortunately for the lad, all there was to the place was a garage, a post office/shop, a pub, and a small church :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

All this talkin' about pie made the wait until I could get home today absolute torture! :D

kCCnIcW.jpg

And these yummy food and lambsfoot photos are making me wonder how Harvey's doing? @cigarrodog

That's a great pic Mike, and a delicious-looking pie and Lambsfoot :) I hope Harvey is doing OK, and that he calls in to see us all soon :) :thumbsup:

Day shift starts at 7:00am or 7:30am depending on your hospital
My shift was 7:00 pm to 7:00 am while I was in school getting my degrees. I worked in a trauma unit (EMT) and we ate whenever there was a break in "action" so to speak. Many nights we were so busy we took turns to go to the bathroom and grab a cup of coffee on the way back. I had classes between 8:00 am and 3:00 pm and showered and slept on the run. Those pies look so good, my blood sugar levels went up just looking at them.....thank you gents for the pictures, I take a walk vicariously with you, my job is keeping me indoors much more than I would like.

Good evening Guardians, hope you have all had a good week, good to see some old friends back this week. Did a clean of my ironwood lambsfoot last night, the amount of dirt and grime that came off the wood was amazing. We all know that wood covers will darken over time, the covers on my ironwood had really good grain showing when i got it but with carrying and darkening that has virtually disappeared. But they smoothed a lot, so it is swings and round about's, but it shows one advantage of carrying and use. The natural oils in your hands will preserve the wood and carrying is the only cover maintenance you will need. Going to show a couple of photos of the grime that came off the wood, the small piece of 0000 steel wool was the light grey color of steel wool when i started but ended up dark grey, i used a light colored micro-fibre cloth to finish the cleaning to highlight the grime that came off the wood. I have posted the knife before with the wood in pristine new condition, but i had a clean out of my photos and deleted it so i cannot show it to compare, i have done previously before though. Hope you all have a good weekend, Spring is not too far away.:thumbsup::D.
1SYV2sF.jpg

VAOj8Rb.jpg

One question about this cleaning business....I've read hereabouts that you folks will clean and oil a new knife. One thing I learned the hard way was to clean the knife before I sharpen it...When you flush it with mineral oil, do you dunk it in a cup with oil or do you use a pipette to jet the oil in the joint?

Back