Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I guess spring is coming since that's when lambs(foot/feet/footsies?) show up...
20210305-164559.jpg

Will you blokes pull up. All this talk and photos of pies, cow pie, apple, berry,pork,meat, made me hungry, lunch time here. Had to go and get a couple of sausage rolls, no good for my health:eek:, but do they taste any good.:p.
6l3SFwB.jpg
My doctor keeps drumming on and on about "can't eat this, can't do that" until I told her that at my age, I ate all the things I like and done all the things I liked (and still do but not as much). The moral is, enjoy life while you can, this is not a dressed rehearsal.

Last edited:
One of each?

:) :thumbsup:

My shift was 7:00 pm to 7:00 am while I was in school getting my degrees. I worked in a trauma unit (EMT) and we ate whenever there was a break in "action" so to speak. Many nights we were so busy we took turns to go to the bathroom and grab a cup of coffee on the way back. I had classes between 8:00 am and 3:00 pm and showered and slept on the run. Those pies look so good, my blood sugar levels went up just looking at them.....thank you gents for the pictures, I take a walk vicariously with you, my job is keeping me indoors much more than I would like.

You certainly don't don't sound like you're afraid of hard work Ted! :eek: Those are some pretty punishing shifts. I hope you get a chance to put your feet up before too long :thumbsup:

Good evening Guardians, hope you have all had a good week, good to see some old friends back this week. Did a clean of my ironwood lambsfoot last night, the amount of dirt and grime that came off the wood was amazing. We all know that wood covers will darken over time, the covers on my ironwood had really good grain showing when i got it but with carrying and darkening that has virtually disappeared. But they smoothed a lot, so it is swings and round about's, but it shows one advantage of carrying and use. The natural oils in your hands will preserve the wood and carrying is the only cover maintenance you will need. Going to show a couple of photos of the grime that came off the wood, the small piece of 0000 steel wool was the light grey color of steel wool when i started but ended up dark grey, i used a light colored micro-fibre cloth to finish the cleaning to highlight the grime that came off the wood. I have posted the knife before with the wood in pristine new condition, but i had a clean out of my photos and deleted it so i cannot show it to compare, i have done previously before though. Hope you all have a good weekend, Spring is not too far away.:thumbsup::D.
1SYV2sF.jpg

VAOj8Rb.jpg

Interesting pics Leon :cool: What a mucky pup! ;) :thumbsup:

One question about this cleaning business....I've read hereabouts that you folks will clean and oil a new knife. One thing I learned the hard way was to clean the knife before I sharpen it...When you flush it with mineral oil, do you dunk it in a cup with oil or do you use a pipette to jet the oil in the joint?

I generally use a needle-oiler anyway, but I flood the joint, work the blade backwards and forwards, then use canned air to blow the oil and dirt out, repeatedly, with the blade in different positions. I then repeat, and repeat again, until the oil is just blowing out clear. I put a tissue or cloth behind, to make it easier to see, and to stop dirty oil blowing all over my wallpaper ;) :thumbsup:

I'm all about the pipette :p

yHeCZEY.jpg

Not a sentence one sees every day! :D Looking good Mike :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, I was doing it the hard way...again! I feel like the poster child for the "DUHH!!" campaign:confused:

:D :thumbsup:

I guess spring is coming since that's when lambs(foot/feet/footsies?) show up...
20210305-164559.jpg

Very handsome :cool: :thumbsup:

Will you blokes pull up. All this talk and photos of pies, cow pie, apple, berry,pork,meat, made me hungry, lunch time here. Had to go and get a couple of sausage rolls, no good for my health:eek:, but do they taste any good.:p.
6l3SFwB.jpg

Sorry Leon! :D Hope you enjoyed your sausage rolls :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, welcome to the weekend! :D Have a good one everyone :) :thumbsup: Kind of dull here, but I'll be out for a stroll later, maybe take my slingshot with me ;) :thumbsup:

zZw04Yy.jpg

Yes, it's a very different knife isn't it? :D I tabbed up a slingshot with some heavy tubes, which were a bit short for my draw length, but they're a bit heavy for the tabs - and for me! :rolleyes: Thanks mate, it's still only partly cooked in the middle, so I'll have to see if I can do something about it, even though the centre has collapsed o_O I wish I'd opted for the cherry pie now ;) :thumbsup:

That's the healthy way to eat an apple Bill, cool shot :thumbsup:
Thanks my friend. I have to lose some weight:rolleyes: so I'm trying to eat more healthy:D.

:) :thumbsup:

You certainly don't don't sound like you're afraid of hard work Ted! :eek: Those are some pretty punishing shifts. I hope you get a chance to put your feet up before too long :thumbsup:

Interesting pics Leon :cool: What a mucky pup! ;) :thumbsup:

I generally use a needle-oiler anyway, but I flood the joint, work the blade backwards and forwards, then use canned air to blow the oil and dirt out, repeatedly, with the blade in different positions. I then repeat, and repeat again, until the oil is just blowing out clear. I put a tissue or cloth behind, to make it easier to see, and to stop dirty oil blowing all over my wallpaper ;) :thumbsup:

Not a sentence one sees every day! :D Looking good Mike :) :thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

Very handsome :cool: :thumbsup:

Sorry Leon! :D Hope you enjoyed your sausage rolls :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, welcome to the weekend! :D Have a good one everyone :) :thumbsup: Kind of dull here, but I'll be out for a stroll later, maybe take my slingshot with me ;) :thumbsup:

zZw04Yy.jpg
Very cool photo of your HHB Jack.

View attachment 1521687
Grading assessments today. Coffee is an essential companion.

I BET it is Joshua! :eek: Hope it goes OK :) Looks like you have another essential companion there too ;) :D :thumbsup:

Thanks my friend. I have to lose some weight:rolleyes: so I'm trying to eat more healthy:D.

You and me both Bill :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Very cool photo of your HHB Jack.

Well, we finally are getting a stretch of nice weather. Finally drying out a bit. Going to carry "Mr. Black" today.
View attachment 1521694

Thanks buddy, good to see 'Mr Black' :D Enjoy the sunshine :) :thumbsup:

It is a very nice knife but I'm not sure I like the plastic covers, it lacks that certain heft to it. Maybe some day I'll find someone to put a nice set of covers on it.

Bexoid covers are very traditional, but they were never great-looking, and were replaced by even cheaper (and harder) plastic, even though the Sheffield cutlers still call it 'Bex' or 'Bexoid'. They are ideal candidates for fancying-up some, and we have some very talented modders here on The Porch :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a good day :) I got out for a walk, but the quiet area of local woodland I discovered during the first lockdown here, was not very quiet today unfortunately :( Been having some nice food back at home :thumbsup:

IMHuZCV.jpg

I BET it is Joshua! :eek: Hope it goes OK :) Looks like you have another essential companion there too ;) :D :thumbsup:

You and me both Bill :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy, good to see 'Mr Black' :D Enjoy the sunshine :) :thumbsup:

Bexoid covers are very traditional, but they were never great-looking, and were replaced by even cheaper (and harder) plastic, even though the Sheffield cutlers still call it 'Bex' or 'Bexoid'. They are ideal candidates for fancying-up some, and we have some very talented modders here on The Porch :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a good day :) I got out for a walk, but the quiet area of local woodland I discovered during the first lockdown here, was not very quiet today unfortunately :( Been having some nice food back at home :thumbsup:

IMHuZCV.jpg
The coffee keeps my mind sharp and the lambsfoot keeps my pencils sharp!

I like the stag on that one.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Thanks! It’s a beaut.

Wow! Spectacular image Dwight :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, hope everyone is having a lovely weekend. It looks like it's going to be a pretty nice day here. I have some indoor chores to do before I can get out, but after they're done, I'm going to sit outside and work on another walking stick project, and my mate is coming round for a beer later :) Enjoy your Sunday Guardians :thumbsup:

KcOmidI.jpg

Great photos David. Like Jack says - looks like you had a great walk!!

Cheers, didn't meet a soul all day. :thumbsup:

I imagine so David :) I'll have to do some more research into 'forenoon-drinkin', but ale was always a common beverage, particularly among Sheffield cutlers :rolleyes: When I worked for Whitbread's brewery, we officially 'clocked-on' at 6.30am, but I was often there earlier, as we got paid anyway. We'd sit around and drink tea until breakfast at 7.45am or so. The canteen was actually subsidised, so everyone had a full breakfast. Then we'd start drinking - for the rest of the day! It was a great job! :D :thumbsup:

Yeah I recall your previous extremely entertaining stories of your time in the brewery, which I still believe you should put into a book :D:thumbsup:

All this talkin' about pie made the wait until I could get home today absolute torture! :D

kCCnIcW.jpg

Now that looks delicious. :thumbsup:

My shift was 7:00 pm to 7:00 am while I was in school getting my degrees. I worked in a trauma unit (EMT) and we ate whenever there was a break in "action" so to speak. Many nights we were so busy we took turns to go to the bathroom and grab a cup of coffee on the way back. I had classes between 8:00 am and 3:00 pm and showered and slept on the run. Those pies look so good, my blood sugar levels went up just looking at them.....thank you gents for the pictures, I take a walk vicariously with you, my job is keeping me indoors much more than I would like.

Your hospitals sound pretty much like our hospitals then; organized chaos. :D

Yesterdays choice which I couldn't post due to internet woes, but it'll be the same today.
F7gNejj.jpg

aS3cHOf.jpg

Enjoy your Sunday everyone. :thumbsup:

Back