Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Been a pretty nice day here in Yorkshire, not hot, but sunny and pleasant. I took my pal and his lad, Cillian, to see ancient Harewood Castle first.

74ducvm.jpg

VluFmts.jpg

FqDxHX0.jpg

Lxe6Qjd.jpg

LEWWf8j.jpg

6xpKf5W.jpg

Then to the nearby church, which itself dates to 1410.

p1sGKi9.jpg

FgJOWHl.jpg

We then went in search of deer. I had already told Cillian that he had to wear camouflage, and I suggested he neutralise his scent by rolling in the grass, and rubbing himself down with it :D He did so enthusiastically, and employed some belly-crawling to get as close as possible to the deer. I think he'll sleep tonight! :D

bT6gLDq.jpg

F3OLxtO.jpg

X6jJAbh.jpg

3YWpRqU.jpg

9GJZc2E.jpg

kjKqbqL.jpg

Unfortunately, the nearby pub is still closed, so after concluding our walk, we headed back to the city for a couple of pints (orange juice for Cillian). We all agreed it was a pretty good day :)

s11zP9y.jpg

9twPT52.jpg
What a great post Jack! Harewood Castle looks great- and I love going those real old places and standing there trying to soak up the past- Wow- imaging just how cold it must have ben in those Castles in Heavy Winter time!!!

That Barlow looks better every time I see it my friend, I swapped over my edc the other day and out came mine- I will take some shots later on in the week!
Have a great day - or night everyone!

What a great post Jack! Harewood Castle looks great- and I love going those real old places and standing there trying to soak up the past- Wow- imaging just how cold it must have ben in those Castles in Heavy Winter time!!!

That Barlow looks better every time I see it my friend, I swapped over my edc the other day and out came mine- I will take some shots later on in the week!
Have a great day - or night everyone!

Hey Duncan! :) It's always a treat to see you here buddy :) Thank you for the kind words, I wish you could have been with us. Hey, that's the NEW Harewood Castle! :D The OLD one is pre-Norman, and across the river! :D No central heating in either to be sure! :eek: ;) Great to hear you have the Barlow pocketed, I'll look forward to seeing your pics :) Cheers mate :thumbsup:

d6khgDN.jpg

Fair enough Jer :D :) :thumbsup:

Sorry about that Joshua, I've had quite a busy PM day! :) It should be OK now buddy :thumbsup:

Those knives are made by Wright's. Blades are supposed to be O1, which I found strange as Wright's were always adamant about not using O1 for pocket knife blades. There seems to be a fair amount of 'marketing' going on there, but I guess you can't blame an old soldier for trying to supplement his pension :thumbsup:

I have made posts about the G. Wines knives. My first impression was that the blades were AW&S. I also though that fit and finish as well as pull and snap. I don't have any other O1 blades so I can't make a comparison of steels. It should be noted that Rodgers/Wolstenholm (Egginton) or Taylors Eye Witness purportedly made some blades in 1095. So, there many unknowns regarding G. Wines knives.

BTW, just received my M. Mays lamb foot. After blade work and clean out, will make some pictures.

Good morning Guardians, I found time to do some work on my hiking staff yesterday. Added a compass, and a good ferrule, 2 coats of sanding sealer, and I'll I'll be applying the the third and fourth coats of Danish Oil today :) Better get some work done first though :rolleyes: Have a good day everyone :thumbsup:

M0HHEsl.jpg
Looking forward to some photos of the finished walking staff my friend:thumbsup:. The HHB sure looks awesome too:D.

Hey Duncan! :) It's always a treat to see you here buddy :) Thank you for the kind words, I wish you could have been with us. Hey, that's the NEW Harewood Castle! :D The OLD one is pre-Norman, and across the river! :D No central heating in either to be sure! :eek: ;) Great to hear you have the Barlow pocketed, I'll look forward to seeing your pics :) Cheers mate :thumbsup:

d6khgDN.jpg
Looks like a very interesting brew you have there:). Your HHB is looking fine buddy:thumbsup:.

I have made posts about the G. Wines knives. My first impression was that the blades were AW&S. I also though that fit and finish as well as pull and snap. I don't have any other O1 blades so I can't make a comparison of steels. It should be noted that Rodgers/Wolstenholm (Egginton) or Taylors Eye Witness purportedly made some blades in 1095. So, there many unknowns regarding G. Wines knives.

BTW, just received my M. Mays lamb foot. After blade work and clean out, will make some pictures.

Thanks for your thoughts Mel :) Where did you hear Eggington or TEW had some blades made in 1095? They're both sub-contracting work. I know Wright's made some knives for both firms, I assumed in stainless, but could have been in C70 I guess :confused: There are always a lot of mysteries and puzzles with Sheffield knives :rolleyes: Looking forward to seeing your photos and observations on your M. May :thumbsup:

Looking forward to some photos of the finished walking staff my friend:thumbsup:. The HHB sure looks awesome too:D.

Thanks Bill, I put the final coat of Danish Oil on this evening, and will let it dry overnight before giving it a polish. I may do a Paracord/Firecord wrap, but I haven't decided yet :thumbsup:

Looks like a very interesting brew you have there:). Your HHB is looking fine buddy:thumbsup:.

I tried to convincing my girlfriend it was orange juice! :D Made by one of my favourite local breweries :) Thanks again my friend :thumbsup:

My first impression of G. Wines was also of AW&S, but the pull is a little lighter on the Wines than my AW&S Lamb and all other AW&S knives I have. Are the Wines consistently that way? ... dunno. Dimension wise, the Wines and AW&S are quite similar with my Wines Rosewood having a bit more rounded finish on the edges than my Ebony AW&S. Don't know how a Wines Rosewood would compare to an AW&S Rosewood though. I'm (pretty) sure G. Wines didn't actually make those Lambs of his, but I may never know who did.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.:thumbsup:.

Here's how it looks at the moment. There's still quite a bit I want to do to it, but I want to darken the wood just a little, which I'm going to try doing with wax. I've added the ferrule, and the compass. The latter is stuck in very securely with epoxy, but I'm going to coat the top with a little yacht varnish, just to make it a little neater :thumbsup:

H3bBDnY.jpg

qxo174V.jpg

iSA34R2.jpg

Sab8Sbj.jpg

I'll be adding a wrist-loop, and possibly a paracord wrap, but I need to wax the wood before I can do that :thumbsup:

Here's how it looks at the moment. There's still quite a bit I want to do to it, but I want to darken the wood just a little, which I'm going to try doing with wax. I've added the ferrule, and the compass. The latter is stuck in very securely with epoxy, but I'm going to coat the top with a little yacht varnish, just to make it a little neater :thumbsup:

H3bBDnY.jpg

qxo174V.jpg

iSA34R2.jpg

Sab8Sbj.jpg

I'll be adding a wrist-loop, and possibly a paracord wrap, but I need to wax the wood before I can do that :thumbsup:
Very cool ferrule. You can poke the bears' eyes out and police the grounds with it. I've seen those, but never sprung for one.
DSCF8858.JPG
This bit of wild cherry is still my favorite. A bit longer than a canonical cane.

Great looking project Jack, thanks for sharing with us!:):thumbsup:

Thanks Todd, been fun using my Lambsfoot knife :thumbsup:

Very cool ferrule. You can poke the bears' eyes out and police the grounds with it. I've seen those, but never sprung for one.
View attachment 1550130
This bit of wild cherry is still my favorite. A bit longer than a canonical cane.

Thanks Jer :) Yes, it was a little spendy compared to the ones on my other sticks, but very solid, well-made, and secure. That's some nice wood my friend, great character :thumbsup:

Thanks Jer :) Yes, it was a little spendy compared to the ones on my other sticks, but very solid, well-made, and secure. That's some nice wood my friend, great character :thumbsup:
Thanks. I like 'em thin and surprisingly strong.
This one may never get a shoe. I'd have to weaken it by cutting off the knot, or cutting into it. And if I took it off at the next node, the remains would be more uniform, but if I keep doing that I might end up with nothing. It's about collarbone high on me now. A piece of oak from the parental woodlot, cut maybe even fifty years ago.
i68y9q6.jpg

Thanks. I like 'em thin and surprisingly strong.
This one may never get a shoe. I'd have to weaken it by cutting off the knot, or cutting into it. And if I took it off at the next node, the remains would be more uniform, but if I keep doing that I might end up with nothing. It's about collarbone high on me now. A piece of oak from the parental woodlot, cut maybe even fifty years ago.
i68y9q6.jpg

That's pretty incredible Jer, I think you have done the right thing preserving it :thumbsup:

Here's a couple of 19th Century canes I'm about to put some Ren Wax on :thumbsup:

VzgA1qY.jpg

Received this TEW Lambfoot in exchange for the first one that had a lot of blade play and a messed up back spring. This one has beautiful horn, flush back spring, and is razor sharp, and no blade play. It doesn’t have very good action however. Flushed it out and oiled it, but it hasn’t improved yet. It snaps open with some authority, but has nothing when closing, in fact sometimes I have to push it closed. Pretty sure it is still gunked up, hoping it will improve. The last picture shows what I mean. Pretty sure I will still enjoy it.:)
1A1ACE57-1D8F-41F8-BB7F-FE8D827A4C5D.jpeg D8894239-7657-4AA9-8FAC-7693B521F3E3.jpeg 5CF78280-165A-4DDC-9474-D89B3D445B8B.jpeg

Received this TEW Lambfoot in exchange for the first one that had a lot of blade play and a messed up back spring. This one has beautiful horn, flush back spring, and is razor sharp, and no blade play. It doesn’t have very good action however. Flushed it out and oiled it, but it hasn’t improved yet. It snaps open with some authority, but has nothing when closing, in fact sometimes I have to push it closed. Pretty sure it is still gunked up, hoping it will improve. The last picture shows what I mean. Pretty sure I will still enjoy it.:)
View attachment 1550233 View attachment 1550234 View attachment 1550235

That horn looks beautiful Leon, but bad news about the action. You might need to get it in a bowl of soapy water, and work the blade backwards and forwards for a while, then dry it thoroughly, blow out the joints with WD40, and re-oil :thumbsup: What has happened to the spine of the blade, near the tang, it looks like some clod has ground it away? I have to say, I despair with the contemporary Sheffield cutlery companies, they are a disgrace. Being as you had already had to return one knife, couldn't someone at TEW have taken just a little bit of time to check they weren't sending you another dud?! I suggest you contact Alistair Fisher, who is still Managing Director of TEW, his ancestors must be turning in their graves o_O

Back