Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good morning Guardians, hope your week gets off to a good start :) Starting mine with my Hartshead Barlow ;) :thumbsup:

Cyy0XRS.jpg

Good morning Guardians, hope your week gets off to a good start :) Starting mine with my Hartshead Barlow ;) :thumbsup:

Cyy0XRS.jpg
That photo looks like bee hive coke ovens🐝. Nice looking HHB Jack, as always.:thumbsup:

Today starting off a little slow for me and it's overcast but will brighten today. Going over to the new house to meet with our "selections" gal. Wife wants to make a change...again.😲 Move in date is in a week. Better get hustling and of course, my HHB will be put to work.💪
IMG_2969.JPG

That photo looks like bee hive coke ovens🐝. Nice looking HHB Jack, as always.:thumbsup:

Today starting off a little slow for me and it's overcast but will brighten today. Going over to the new house to meet with our "selections" gal. Wife wants to make a change...again.😲 Move in date is in a week. Better get hustling and of course, my HHB will be put to work.💪
View attachment 1565619

Thanks Bill, those are cementation furnaces :) At one time, Sheffield was littered with them, but there is now only one left intact, built by steel-makers Daniel Doncaster & Sons, for whom several members of my family have worked (in a couple of cases, until very recently) :thumbsup:

It sounds like you're really going to have your work cut out Bill :oops: I hope it all goes well :) Excellent pic of your Hartshead Barlow :cool: :thumbsup:

ZWHFRYq.jpg
Today's knife. Hope you all have a great week!
Your 2018 Ebony has some great character Taylor :) It's great to see Lambsfoot knives being put to good use :thumbsup:
The cover treatment was finally dry tonight, so I polished her up. Looks much, much better. That wood sure was thirsty! 😁

Before:

After:

Nice job, that looks great :cool: :) Tung oil takes a while to dry doesn't it, (which is one of the reasons it is commonly sold cut with thinners), but worth the wait :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, hope everyone's week got off to a good start :) I haven't carried this one in a while. When I first got it, it saw plenty of pocket-time, but it's stag-covered brother has kind of taken over ;) Nice to have it with me again today though :) Have a good day Guardians :thumbsup:

f6J2ef7.jpg

Called in for coffee at a local Italian place. It's been a while since I was able to do that :) :thumbsup:

Thought I'd be sophisticated, and post a pic from my phone, but the file was too large :rolleyes:

gHBeJxv.jpg
Nice photo of your Rosewood HHB. I love coffee but the caffeine messes with my nerves😲. Even "decaffeinated" coffee has some caffeine in it so I have to be careful with it😨.
Another day with my HHB in the pocket. I keep it in a sleeve to minimize it getting beauty with all the other stuff I have in the pocket like loose change and keys.
IMG_2968.JPG

Nice photo of your Rosewood HHB. I love coffee but the caffeine messes with my nerves😲. Even "decaffeinated" coffee has some caffeine in it so I have to be careful with it😨.
Another day with my HHB in the pocket. I keep it in a sleeve to minimize it getting beauty with all the other stuff I have in the pocket like loose change and keys.
View attachment 1566146

Thanks Bill :) Caffeine is a powerful substance! :eek: I like my coffee strong, so I usually just have one large cup a day. If I have more than two, I go a bit squirrely! :D Your Hartshead Barlow is looking good in the sunshine buddy :thumbsup:

Good day, folks.

My apologies for being a bit scarce these past few weeks - life is always a busy and fickle beast. I hope you all are well though.

I thought I would share one of my recent acquisitions, one that I am quite delighted with actually. When I keep a lookout for vintage Lambsfoot examples, I generally pass over those with lots of blade wear. However, one caught my eye that I could not ignore. It is a Lambsfoot blade on a frame that I have come to favor and am intrigued by in an academic sense. Interestingly, the medium sized "coke bottle" frame did not seem to be as popular as its larger brother but unlike the large folding hunters that used this frame, there are examples of Europe-made medium sided "coke bottle" jacks - or, unequal end swell center jacks. I won't muddy the thread further with my "coke bottle" enthusiasm (I'll add more in my thread on that) but I did want to share this somewhat unique Lambsfoot I found.

The old horn synthetic covers are in quite good condition. No serious cracks, chips or even much shrinkage - there is a bit of separation/gaps at the bolsters but I see the same with natural materials on older knives too. Steel bolsters, pins, and liners (I wish more cutlers would do that these days).

4Osad0o.jpg

Unfortunately, the blade has been quite abused by a grinder - to a point that I would have passed this one by had the frame not captured my interest. That said, with some tuning of the edge, I think it will make a very serviceable knife. The action is splendid, no wobble, and it snaps like the best of them.

2uvlAjx.jpg

Another thing that makes thing knife fun is the number of stamps it has and all ones that I have no previous examples of. The blade face is stamped with The Lambfoot Knife.

SuBA5A1.jpg

The mark side tang reads:
(insert initial, I assume it is a J? can't quite make it out). Rodgers & Sons
6.Norfolk St
Sheffield

Note the Hand Forged stamp above the tang as well.

WaveUE0.jpg

On the pile side tang are markings with England stamped.

zc9WBWd.jpg

Overall, I am very pleased with it. It is a very comfortable knife in hand and with a little care, I think it is going to be an excellent pocket knife.

Glamor shot! It has a nice profile, in my opinion.

2R0khJs.jpg

Last edited:
medium sized "coke bottle" frame!!
What a delightful find,Dylan!! Old JRs can be hidden gems, reflecting the qualities "of Olde"!!
Nice interesting knife!!

My old C. Johnson was back at it yesterday, cutting up cardboard!! We could call these troubled times "The Box Pandemic"!! I've never seen so many cardboard boxes cluttering up life, as there have been lately!! A little Stropping, and she cuts paper easily again, and is now back in my pocket!!CJ Boxcutter 1.jpg

Back