Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

What a delightful find,Dylan!! Old JRs can be hidden gems, reflecting the qualities "of Olde"!!
Nice interesting knife!!

My old C. Johnson was back at it yesterday, cutting up cardboard!! We could call these troubled times "The Box Pandemic"!! I've never seen so many cardboard boxes cluttering up life, as there have been lately!! A little Stropping, and she cuts paper easily again, and is now back in my pocket!!View attachment 1566395

Thank you, Charlie! I'd be rather tickled if I could manage to find one like this in a bit better shape but until then, this one is pretty sweet.

I love the tang stamp on your C. Johnson.

Good day, folks.

My apologies for being a bit scarce these past few weeks - life is always a busy and fickle beast. I hope you all are well though.

I thought I would share one of my recent acquisitions, one that I am quite delighted with actually. When I keep a lookout for vintage Lambsfoot examples, I generally pass over those with lots of blade wear. However, one caught my eye that I could not ignore. It is a Lambsfoot blade on a frame that I have come to favor and am intrigued by in an academic sense. Interestingly, the medium sized "coke bottle" frame did not seem to be as popular as its larger brother but unlike the large folding hunters that used this frame, there are examples of Europe-made medium sided "coke bottle" jacks - or, unequal end swell center jacks. I won't muddy the thread further with my "coke bottle" enthusiasm (I'll add more in my thread on that) but I did want to share this somewhat unique Lambsfoot I found.

The old horn is in quite good condition. No serious cracks, chips or even much shrinkage - there is a bit of separation/gaps at the bolsters but I see the same with bone and wood on older knives too. Steel bolsters, pins, and liners (I wish more cutlers would do that these days).

4Osad0o.jpg

Unfortunately, the blade has been quite abused by a grinder - to a point that I would have passed this one by had the frame not captured my interest. That said, with some tuning of the edge, I think it will make a very serviceable knife. The action is splendid, no wobble, and it snaps like the best of them.

2uvlAjx.jpg

Another thing that makes thing knife fun is the number of stamps it has and all ones that I have no previous examples of. The blade face is stamped with The Lambfoot Knife.

SuBA5A1.jpg

The mark side tang reads:
(insert initial, I assume it is a J? can't quite make it out). Rodgers & Sons
6.Norfolk St
Sheffield

Note the Hand Forged stamp above the tang as well.

WaveUE0.jpg

On the pile side tang are markings with England stamped.

zc9WBWd.jpg

Overall, I am very pleased with it. It is a very comfortable knife in hand and with a little care, I think it is going to be an excellent pocket knife.

Glamor shot! It has a nice profile, in my opinion.

2R0khJs.jpg
Great to see you here Dylan, and with those fine photos :) That's certainly an unusual Lambsfoot my friend. I think only Rodgers used that particular blade stamp, Charlie has a very nice example :cool: I would have taken that for Rodgers regular synthetic, (the name of which currently escapes me), rather than horn :) I just found this one (below) in my fettlin' box, where it has been for several years, but the blade is one you would more commonly expect to see on a Swell-Centre Jack, and the blade is later than your Lambsfoot blade. It's a shame about what has been done to the blade, but there's still plenty of meat left on it isn't there, and it looks good in your regular spot? :cool: :thumbsup:

GFksE5G.jpg

What a delightful find,Dylan!! Old JRs can be hidden gems, reflecting the qualities "of Olde"!!
Nice interesting knife!!

My old C. Johnson was back at it yesterday, cutting up cardboard!! We could call these troubled times "The Box Pandemic"!! I've never seen so many cardboard boxes cluttering up life, as there have been lately!! A little Stropping, and she cuts paper easily again, and is now back in my pocket!!View attachment 1566395
I know what you mean about the plague of cardboard boxes and packing material Charlie! :D It's great to see your Christopher Johnson again :) I'm sure whoever made it would be proud to know it's still in use :cool: :thumbsup:
Some days i love my job. Had to go on a service call....an hour ans a half by car.......or a half hour by boat 😎😎View attachment 1566399
Great way to get to work! :cool: :D What a great pic :) :thumbsup:
Jack - Wow!!!!

I have been travelling a lot and my Poor Hartshead got a hammering yesterday and is quite dull now!

Away from home - with no Stone, I will try the bottom of the ceramic cup tonight ;-)
Thanks Duncan :) Nice to know your Hartshead Barlow is seeing plenty of use :cool: My Rosewood version has been busy today, and I think it might be getting a tickle tomorrow ;) Safe travels my friend :) :thumbsup:

687LLT2.jpg

Great to see you here Dylan, and with those fine photos :) That's certainly an unusual Lambsfoot my friend. I think only Rodgers used that particular blade stamp, Charlie has a very nice example :cool: I would have taken that for Rodgers regular synthetic, (the name of which currently escapes me), rather than horn :) I just found this one (below) in my fettlin' box, where it has been for several years, but the blade is one you would more commonly expect to see on a Swell-Centre Jack, and the blade is later than your Lambsfoot blade. It's a shame about what has been done to the blade, but there's still plenty of meat left on it isn't there, and it looks good in your regular spot? :cool: :thumbsup:

GFksE5G.jpg

Thank you, Jack. I could well be mistaken on the cover material. The reason I was rather certain it was horn is because there is actual grain in the material and the damage around the pin on the butt end appears consistent with what I've seen with pins and horn in the past. I'll take another gander at it.

I ran the blade across my stones for a bit, just to smooth things out - the edge was pretty ragged. I don't think I will try and even out the grind though, I risk removing too much material. I think if I can get a fine enough edge, despite its waviness, it will cut well enough, I think.

EDIT/UPDATE: I think you are correct, Jack. I can do the "pin" test to confirm but I do think these are synthetic covers. I took a look in better light and saw a number of tells that gives it away. The seller advertised as horn so I didn't look as closely as I should have.

Last edited:
Thank you, Jack. I could well be mistaken on the cover material. The reason I was rather certain it was horn is because there is actual grain in the material and the damage around the pin on the butt end appears consistent with what I've seen with pins and horn in the past. I'll take another gander at it.

I ran the blade across my stones for a bit, just to smooth things out - the edge was pretty ragged. I don't think I will try and even out the grind though, I risk removing too much material. I think if I can get a fine enough edge, despite its waviness, it will cut well enough, I think.

EDIT/UPDATE: I think you are correct, Jack. I can do the "pin" test to confirm but I do think these are synthetic covers. I took a look in better light and saw a number of tells that gives it away. The seller advertised as horn so I didn't look as closely as I should have.

You are best placed to tell Dylan :) Rodgers used that black synthetic for decades, and in fact my first Lambsfoot had it, as do several Rodgers knives I have. In a Rodgers catalogue from 1982, it is referred to as 'Black Cellulose Acetate'. Sheffield cutlers often call such materials by the wrong name, but I am sure I've heard it referred to as something else, 'Ebonite' perhaps - I'm afraid it's late here, and my brain is shutting down! :rolleyes: It's strange that the knife I showed has very similar damage (on both sides), as well as the same shrinkage near the bolster :thumbsup:

Good day, folks.

My apologies for being a bit scarce these past few weeks - life is always a busy and fickle beast. I hope you all are well though.

I thought I would share one of my recent acquisitions, one that I am quite delighted with actually. When I keep a lookout for vintage Lambsfoot examples, I generally pass over those with lots of blade wear. However, one caught my eye that I could not ignore. It is a Lambsfoot blade on a frame that I have come to favor and am intrigued by in an academic sense. Interestingly, the medium sized "coke bottle" frame did not seem to be as popular as its larger brother but unlike the large folding hunters that used this frame, there are examples of Europe-made medium sided "coke bottle" jacks - or, unequal end swell center jacks. I won't muddy the thread further with my "coke bottle" enthusiasm (I'll add more in my thread on that) but I did want to share this somewhat unique Lambsfoot I found.

The old horn synthetic covers are in quite good condition. No serious cracks, chips or even much shrinkage - there is a bit of separation/gaps at the bolsters but I see the same with natural materials on older knives too. Steel bolsters, pins, and liners (I wish more cutlers would do that these days).

4Osad0o.jpg

Unfortunately, the blade has been quite abused by a grinder - to a point that I would have passed this one by had the frame not captured my interest. That said, with some tuning of the edge, I think it will make a very serviceable knife. The action is splendid, no wobble, and it snaps like the best of them.

2uvlAjx.jpg

Another thing that makes thing knife fun is the number of stamps it has and all ones that I have no previous examples of. The blade face is stamped with The Lambfoot Knife.

SuBA5A1.jpg

The mark side tang reads:
(insert initial, I assume it is a J? can't quite make it out). Rodgers & Sons
6.Norfolk St
Sheffield

Note the Hand Forged stamp above the tang as well.

WaveUE0.jpg

On the pile side tang are markings with England stamped.

zc9WBWd.jpg

Overall, I am very pleased with it. It is a very comfortable knife in hand and with a little care, I think it is going to be an excellent pocket knife.

Glamor shot! It has a nice profile, in my opinion.

2R0khJs.jpg
I think that is a fantastic find. :D:thumbsup: It looks like you could fix up the edge well enough without removing too much steel.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying their Lambsfoot knives :thumbsup: It's been awhile since I took an updated photo of my flock. It's an overcast day with rain on the way, good light for my phone camera:thumbsup: No recent additions, vintage Lambsfoot knives in good condition don't pop up often:(
eSPrlNY.jpg
Wow!!! Fantastic!

Hope everyone is well and enjoying their Lambsfoot knives :thumbsup: It's been awhile since I took an updated photo of my flock. It's an overcast day with rain on the way, good light for my phone camera:thumbsup: No recent additions, vintage Lambsfoot knives in good condition don't pop up often:(
eSPrlNY.jpg
Hey Rob! :) It's great to see you here my friend :cool: What a great pic of your fabulous flock :) :thumbsup:
Oh, I forgot to include the black beauty that started it all. Jack, please excuse the exposed voluptuous clip point :)
Gk7uzjs.jpg

Thanks euroken!
I was just wondering where that one was! :D Didn't you have another you were going to get new covers for Rob? Or have I dreamnt that?! :D ;) :thumbsup:
Old reliable. Patina, chips, beauty marks in all her glory. This is one I will never trade or sell. Such a classic.

I may be biased, but to me it’s the best knife to ever come out of the GEC shop.
Definitely one to hang onto :cool: I hope GEC do another Lambsfoot run one day :) :thumbsup:
Oof...that is my new favorite...
They're pretty rare Ken :) I was going to get an SFO made up, but can't find a reliable cutler, I didn't even get the prototype I was promised :rolleyes:

Back