Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Missed my Sunday Sausage Sammich :( So I'm making up for it today! :D ;) :thumbsup:

tYWbNk9.jpg

I'll catch up later, we're jumping on some yard work before it gets too hot and humid!

As we blaze on to the next milestone of 2,500, here's the mark side of li'l one with the AmSteel Dyneema cord for my hammock.

R4mKIPZ.jpg

I know some of you folks have to do your work early before it gets too hot. It rarely happens here, but sometimes ;)

Nice to see more of that one Dennis :cool: I once got wined and dined, and rock-climbed, by the folks at Marlow Ropes, and visited their factory. It was an interesting visit, with huge ropes for securing oil-rigs and container ships, being hand-spliced :cool: Dyneema was only made commercially available in 1990, and had a significant impact in the rock-climbing world, though it was actually the US-imported Spectra we saw here first. I think that cord would even hold MY hammock! :D :thumbsup:

Last edited:
As we blaze on to the next milestone of 2,500, here's the mark side of li'l one with the AmSteel Dyneema cord for my hammock.

I was wondering if that was what that was. I recently picked up a Technora line—which I believe is similar to Dyneema—to use as a ridge line for pitching a tarp. My first experience with it. It's impressive stuff!

Nice to see more of that one Dennis :cool: I once got wined and dined, and rock-climbed, by the folks at Marlow Ropes, and visited their factory. It was an interesting visit, with huge ropes for securing oil-rigs and container ships, being hand-spliced :cool: Dyneema was only made commercially available in 1990, and had a significant impact in the rock-climbing world, though it was actually the US-imported Spectra we saw here first. I think that cord would even hold MY hammock! :D :thumbsup:

Oh, I bet that was fun!

Oh, I bet that was fun!
It sure was Greg, I drove down from Sheffield with Ron Fawcett (can't believe how brief that entry is, I had a bigger one at one time!), and another friend from the climbing world, and there were a whole bunch of us, who mostly knew each other. We went climbing at Bowles Rocks (too easy!), and then after visiting the factory, Marlow really rolled out the red carpet for us at a swanky hotel, where there was an incredible Fawlty Towers type incident! :D My favourite part of the factory was the testing centre, where the ropes were tested to destruction, including by being pulled apart, which makes a noise like an explosion! Unfortunately, I couldn't take any photographs, despite getting advance permission, because of all their Defence contracts :( Great trip though :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, quiet here, hope everyone had a good start to the week. I keep trying to un-pocket my Hartshead Barlow, and give some of my other Lambs a day out, but it's a struggle....maybe tomorrow! Have a good day Guardians :thumbsup:

B2Bbovw.jpg

I don't know if it's just my Lambsfoot-fixated brain, but I seem to be seeing Lambsfoot-shaped blades everywhere at the moment, often on modern knives. It fascinates me that the blade we all know and love crops up again and again. Like many of the Old Timers here, I very much admired Cambertree Cambertree 's 'Lambshank' fixed-blade, so when I spotted this inexpensive Samura Paring Knife, I thought I'd drop one in my cart, if only to show it here. I already have great kitchen knives, but I'll definitely give this one a go :thumbsup:

6jlnL2G.jpg

We had a fantastic day out hiking yesterday, in glorious weather, which only got better throughout the day. There was a great deal of wildlife to be seen, the most striking being a white deer, which we actually spotted from the top deck of the bus, shortly before we alighted at Harewood Bridge for the start of our walk. We walked upstream, along the banks of the River Wharfe, with views of Almscliffe Crag, which along with Weeton Church, would dominate the skyline throughout most of our walk. While not particularly high, the crag surmounts the whole area, and was once a popular spot for local rock-climbers.

ZlxxhXd.jpg

9aEFhTf.jpg

We were not doing a circuit of Almscliffe though, nor of the church, but of ancient Rougemont Castle, the remains of which lie in woodland adjacent to the River Wharfe. There isn't a great deal to see today unfortunately, but the woods are tranquil and beautiful, and made a good spot to stop for lunch, and for me to experiment with various fire-lighting techniques, and to test out my new slingshot :)

After spending an hour in the woods, we set off hiking again, and it wasn't long before we emerged into the sunshine once again, walking over fields to an ancient packhorse bridge.

9QEHc8Q.jpg

2ksbd4w.jpg

(More to come!)
Hey Jack, fantastic photos thanks for sharing. I especially like that packhorse bridge.

Fantastic trip report, Jack! I’m so glad you had a great time.

I had a lovely hike yesterday, too. I departed my house just after 5 AM. Four hours later, I was parked in the Curry Village parking area in Yosemite National Park. My wife was able to score a day-use reservation a few months ago for use today. We’d planned to make a weekend of it and stay at a friend’s cabin that is fairly close to the park. But, life happens and we needed to change plans. I wasn’t about to let that reservation go to waste though, so I made a day trip of it.

I don’t care what Disneyland says about it being the happiest place on Earth: Yosemite is far happier! Here I am in a very rare selfie about to set out for my hike:

D1bXRR8l.jpg

My plan was to recreate a hike that I’d done nearly 20 years ago with some close friends from college: take the John Muir Trail up to Nevada fall and then return to the valley via Vernal Fall and the Mist Trail. It’s a lollipop route with a shared segment at the beginning and end, with a loop linking the falls.

Vernal Fall is incredibly popular (you’ll see why in a bit) and the trail is a trade route. I pushed hard on the initial segment, passing many people, in the hope that when I reached the turn-off to the John Muir trail I‘d have some space to myself and could enjoy the hike more. I did pause to look back toward the valley and see Yosemite Falls in the distance (just visible in the middle of this picture):

AFWdiGGh.jpg

The plan worked and this was my view when I took a hard right onto the John Muir trail while everyone else went left to the Mist Trail:

tzFvyQeh.jpg

Out came the hiking poles and I settled into a comfortable pace. It was a full ten minutes before I saw anyone else. Fantastic!

Soon, Half Dome came Into view:

o3DFRfMh.jpg

I hiked to the top of it when I was 22 and it’s a special memory. I‘d love to repeat that hike, but it’ll take more planning this time. Permits are now required to go to the top and they are reserved very quickly when they open up.

After some more hiking and the occasional encounter with hikers going in the opposite direction, I got a view of my first destination: Nevada Fall.

f2EYah5h.jpg

I was able to find a secluded spot to the left of the fall as seen here and have a pleasant lunch, gazing back over the valley and listening to the roar of the fall. Here comes the lambsfoot content:

g2lAAySh.jpg

(more to come after I’ve walked my dog)
Stunning photos Greg looks like a great day for it. The U.S certainly doesn't lack for want of amazing scenery and Yosemite must top the list.
But one thing I miss in the UK is our lack of elevation; Ben Nevis in Scotland is our highest point at 4,413ft.

Bike ride for me yesterday.
94d0P2W.jpg

KKurIlu.jpg

0VwWJl7.jpg

s7HrBwi.jpg

I've been seeing a lot of lambsfootesque blades on modernish folders, but they usually have a bit of belly to the edge.
On the other hand, I just saw a Boker "Li'l lambsfoot", which is a stubby sheepsfoot.
8n2zIB7.jpg
Yeah, I've seen some like that, and some with straight edges Jer, sometimes referred to as a 'Reverse Tanto'! :rolleyes: I also saw that Boker, but didn't know if they were just using that name in Europe. It's interesting that they did, but pretty darn stupid of them to misapply it. But then, they recently released a 'Barlow' with a short bolster. I've always liked Boker knives, but their marketing department could do with educating themselves :rolleyes: :confused::thumbsup:
Hey Jack, fantastic photos thanks for sharing. I especially like that packhorse bridge.

Stunning photos Greg looks like a great day for it. The U.S certainly doesn't lack for want of amazing scenery and Yosemite must top the list.
But one thing I miss in the UK is our lack of elevation; Ben Nevis in Scotland is our highest point at 4,413ft.

Bike ride for me yesterday.
94d0P2W.jpg

KKurIlu.jpg

0VwWJl7.jpg

s7HrBwi.jpg
Thanks pal, I have tried to find info on that bridge several times online, without success unfortunately. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere though, once you step off the trails that are plagiarised in every walking guide, you don't see many people, and info can get sparse. We barely saw a soul on Saturday, whereas the main Harewood circuit a mile or so away would have been heaving. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone (apart from me) using a map, or heaven forbid, a compass :rolleyes: Glad you were able to get out for a bike ride David, I enjoyed my walk yesterday evening. Great to see your Hartshead Barlow out with you :) :thumbsup:

Back