Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

A few of my favorite lambsfoot pics over the years:

T9aGbZMh.jpg

OElD1OZh.jpg

(If you look really hard you'll spy my trusty Rosewood Hartshead Barlow in my hand.)

hYCUvxNh.jpg

(Welcoming my Hartshead's arrival at my local English-style brewery and enjoying a pint (from a hand-pull beer engine!) and chips. I'm guessing this is what hanging out with Jack Black Jack Black would be like. :D)

hWEMZcYh.jpg

cmWQMvWh.jpg

(Gotta have a sausage sandwich!)

65rte9Sh.jpg

l1U9Jbrh.jpg

Any time we get to celebrate Ron, then count me in! I was never fortunate enough to attend the Rendezvous and meet Ron in person, but he was a stalwart Guardian, and all the lambsfoot knives he had were beautiful examples. My only Big'un is Charlie's gorgeous GEC, and one of my most cherished knives of any description.

12wyiMq.jpg

But, as rare and lovely as Charlie & Bill's lambfoot is, my heart belongs to the 2018 Guardian's Ebony. Mine, which I affectionately call RALF (for Real A$$ Lamb Foot), is my most carried single blade knife. I never thought I would like a straight-edged single blade until I found the lambfoot. I always liked a sheepfoot, but it hasn't enough tip/point to get into small spaces, and a Wharncliffe always seemed too weak to me for all-'round use. The lambfoot solves both problems, and makes a truly useful single blade. Here is "My Boy" RALF as he progressed through the last three years.

Young RALF
WlcRSzq.jpg

Middle-Aged RALF
5o423GT.jpg

Current RALF with some stippling for improved grip
Ovmcnny.jpg

And Jack, here is a link to the page in Guardians where I posted some eagle photos that you seemed to enjoy! (post #49010)

We miss you, Ron!!

The Ron Half/Stop Memorial Giveaway

I never imagined, when I started this thread, on June 26th 2016, almost 5 years ago, that it would run to 50,000 posts, only very rarely slipping off The Porch front-page. Things are certainly quieter here than they were a few years back, when everyone was posting pics of their SFOs, and I was struggling to keep up with all the posts made while I was fast asleep in Yorkshire, but we’ve still made it to this great milestone. So thanks to everyone who has helped us get here, particularly our longstanding regular members. Thanks for making this thread the great place it is to hang-out :thumbsup:

As everyone here knows, less than a year ago, we lost one of our greatest contributors, Ron Half/Stop Half/Stop , who I know is still greatly missed by those of us lucky enough to have counted him as a friend. Ron loved Lambsfoot knives, but he had a particular fondness for the large-bladed Big ‘Un, and always wanted a large Lambsfoot SFO with ebony covers. Before the change of ownership at A. Wright & Son, I had hoped to get a run of Big ‘Uns made for our annual Guardians knife, and while that wasn’t to be, I did get a short run of 10 made up with Bagpipe Ebony covers. They were the last knives I had made by Wright’s, and the ebony wasn’t as black as I had been promised, and half the blades were off-centre, so I gave most of them away. Ron had the first pick though, and that knife was, sadly, the last knife I gifted him before he passed away.

When I noticed we were rapidly approaching 50,000 posts, I was searching round for a suitable prize, and was surprised to come across a knife from that run. Sadly, the blade is slightly off-centre, but I hope it’s acceptable as a suitable prize in my Ron Half/Stop Memorial Giveaway. It does bear the tang-stamp of the firm who made it, but I think they’ve had enough publicity from me, and considering their rather despicable behaviour, I resent them filching pics from the Guardians thread to use in their publicity material, so I’m not showing it.

VRPgGzw.jpg

SxCw0z3.jpg

The giveaway is open to any member of Bladeforums to enter, with more than 20 posts on The Porch. If you’re a Guardian, post a pic of your Lambsfoot, and get a second entry. If you’re a regular here, and have posted in this thread in the past 3 months, post a link to one of your posts, and you get an additional entry. If you have any memories about Ron, please feel free to share them. Otherwise, either tell us some of the things you love about the Lambsfoot pattern, and why you carry one, or, if you don’t yet have a Lambsfoot, say why you’d like to try the pattern. Outstanding posts will get yet another chance of winning the prize. The draw will be from my hat, in about a week’s time. I’ll call ‘Last orders’ a day or two beforehand ;)

Good luck everyone, and thanks once again to all the Guardians :)

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day! :D ;)

Jack

This isn't really my entry, this is more of a response to say that I will enter intot he GAW tomorrow. I've been meaning to take the Lambsfoot out with me into the field lately, and this is a good reminder to do it tomorrow. I stopped really being a regular in the Guardian's thread a few years back because I just couldn't keep up, but I've been getiing back into reading the thread lately. I can't pass up the chance at a Big 'Un. So until I enter tomorrow, here is an old picture of my Lambsfoot.

full

Just got off the phone after having a good conversation with one of the Guardians esteemed members, Chin or Cambertree as most will probably know him. I tried to contact him last week when the storms went through here as i knew he lived in one of the worst hit areas, but when i could not get hold of him and did not hear back i was concerned, some of these people are still without power 7 days later, and a fair few have lost their houses, or are in unlivable premises at the moment. Anyway all is good and he is well, he sends his regards to everyone, we had a chat about the Guardians thread and he commented what a great place it is full of really good and knowledgeable people. He said he has been missing because his tablet died and only has his mobile phone and anyone here who has had their computer or laptop go down knows what a nightmare it is trying to stay connected here on just a mobile phone, i certainly know, and i would just give up also. Anyway he is well and sends everyone his best wishes. 🤝 :).

A photo of my Lambsfoot that Chin had to post for me to get my official acceptance into the Guardians Of The Lambsfoot thread on the day we caught up and introduced ourselves and spent a pleasant couple of hours discussing all things cutlery.🐏🇦🇺

IATOXJH.jpg

Last edited:
Not an entry.

Wanted to simply comment on how enjoyable it has been following and sharing the Lambsfoots.

Will leave the giveaway to those veterans more deserving of this thread and those lucky to have known Ron.
Never have met or known Ron, but from the posts of the members, I’m sure he was a great person regardless of his love for the lambsfoots.

Hats off to you Jack and all the Guardians on the milestone!

NnhVZa8.jpg

A few of my favorite lambsfoot pics over the years:

T9aGbZMh.jpg

OElD1OZh.jpg

(If you look really hard you'll spy my trusty Rosewood Hartshead Barlow in my hand.)

hYCUvxNh.jpg

(Welcoming my Hartshead's arrival at my local English-style brewery and enjoying a pint (from a hand-pull beer engine!) and chips. I'm guessing this is what hanging out with Jack Black Jack Black would be like. :D)

hWEMZcYh.jpg

cmWQMvWh.jpg

(Gotta have a sausage sandwich!)

65rte9Sh.jpg

l1U9Jbrh.jpg
Wonderful photos that bring back happy memories Greg :) :thumbsup:

" I'm guessing this is what hanging out with Jack Black Jack Black would be like. :D)"

Definitely! :D ;) :thumbsup:

zlzbfAQ.jpg

Any time we get to celebrate Ron, then count me in! I was never fortunate enough to attend the Rendezvous and meet Ron in person, but he was a stalwart Guardian, and all the lambsfoot knives he had were beautiful examples. My only Big'un is Charlie's gorgeous GEC, and one of my most cherished knives of any description.

12wyiMq.jpg

But, as rare and lovely as Charlie & Bill's lambfoot is, my heart belongs to the 2018 Guardian's Ebony. Mine, which I affectionately call RALF (for Real A$$ Lamb Foot), is my most carried single blade knife. I never thought I would like a straight-edged single blade until I found the lambfoot. I always liked a sheepfoot, but it hasn't enough tip/point to get into small spaces, and a Wharncliffe always seemed too weak to me for all-'round use. The lambfoot solves both problems, and makes a truly useful single blade. Here is "My Boy" RALF as he progressed through the last three years.

Young RALF
WlcRSzq.jpg

Middle-Aged RALF
5o423GT.jpg

Current RALF with some stippling for improved grip
Ovmcnny.jpg

And Jack, here is a link to the page in Guardians where I posted some eagle photos that you seemed to enjoy! (post #49010)

We miss you, Ron!!
Really great post Jeff, and it's wonderful to see your boy through the years :) :thumbsup:

I was handling a new Sheepsfoot yesterday, and much as I liked it, I couldn't help comparing it to the superior Lambsfoot blade, and thinking 'The tip is just in the wrong place'! :D :thumbsup:
This isn't really my entry, this is more of a response to say that I will enter intot he GAW tomorrow. I've been meaning to take the Lambsfoot out with me into the field lately, and this is a good reminder to do it tomorrow. I stopped really being a regular in the Guardian's thread a few years back because I just couldn't keep up, but I've been getiing back into reading the thread lately. I can't pass up the chance at a Big 'Un. So until I enter tomorrow, here is an old picture of my Lambsfoot.

full
It's great to see you here buddy :) Looking forward to seeing more of you again :thumbsup:
Just got off the phone after having a good conversation with one of the Guardians esteemed members, Chin or Cambertree as most will probably know him. I tried to contact him last week when the storms went through here as i knew he lived in one of the worst hit areas, but when i could not get hold of him and did not hear back i was concerned, some of these people are still without power 7 days later, and a fair few have lost their houses, or are in unlivable premises at the moment. Anyway all is good and he is well, he sends his regards to everyone, we had a chat about the Guardians thread and he commented what a great place it is full of really good and knowledgeable people. He said he has been missing because his tablet died and only has his mobile phone and anyone here who has had their computer or laptop go down knows what a nightmare it is trying to stay connected here on just a mobile phone, i certainly know, and i would just give up also. Anyway he is well and sends everyone his best wishes. 🤝 :).

A photo of my Lambsfoot that Chin had to post for me to get my official acceptance into the Guardians Of The Lambsfoot thread on the day we caught up and introduced ourselves and spent a pleasant couple of hours discussing all things cutlery.🐏🇦🇺

IATOXJH.jpg
That's fantastic you were able to chat with Chin Leon, and that, (technical problems aside), he's doing OK :) Thanks for letting us know mate :thumbsup: Nice to see that pic of your Rodgers Lambsfoot again :) :thumbsup:
Not an entry.

Wanted to simply comment on how enjoyable it has been following and sharing the Lambsfoots.

Will leave the giveaway to those veterans more deserving of this thread and those lucky to have known Ron.
Never have met or known Ron, but from the posts of the members, I’m sure he was a great person regardless of his love for the lambsfoots.

Hats off to you Jack and all the Guardians on the milestone!

NnhVZa8.jpg
It's great to have you here Ken, please feel free to change your mind on the giveaway - everyone needs to try a Big 'Un ;) :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, what a milestone! :) I wish our friend Ron could have been here to see it. I also hope that a few of our 'old regulars' will call in to say hello. Hope they're all doing well, particularly those members who no longer post on The Porch, and that they have a Lambsfoot in their pocket - folks like cigarrodog cigarrodog , dc50 dc50 , Rusty1 Rusty1 , D Dschal , pjsjr pjsjr , StoneBeard StoneBeard , rockman0 rockman0 , and many more :thumbsup: And where's Vince?! ;) Thanks again Guardians, have a great day :thumbsup:

It felt appropriate to carry my 2017 Guardians SFO today :thumbsup:

830ZIvp.jpg

Ron's kindness to everyone just poured out in his posts.
Here are the last two comments he gave me and the picture he had commented on.

I remembered it very well as I was having a bit of stress at work and was taking a couple days off to decompress, catch up with things and go for walks.
I posted about it and he replied wishing me a good time with my family.
Thank you Ron !

"There is a thing that we find on The Porch that goes much deeper than the depths of our pockets. It's called friendship!" - Half/Stop Half/Stop

A great closeup Dan! Really shows the grain in the wood! :) :thumbsup:

Enjoy the time with your family! :) :thumbsup:

vIdaZby.jpg

Ron's kindness to everyone just poured out in his posts.
Here are the last two comments he gave me and the picture he had commented on.

I remembered it very well as I was having a bit of stress at work and was taking a couple days off to decompress, catch up with things and go for walks.
I posted about it and he replied wishing me a good time with my family.
Thank you Ron !

"There is a thing that we find on The Porch that goes much deeper than the depths of our pockets. It's called friendship!" - Half/Stop Half/Stop

vIdaZby.jpg
Great post Dan, you're right, Ron was full of kindness. On the rare occasions when things got rowdy here, I would always get a PM from him, he was a loyal friend :) :thumbsup:

He said he was busy and was spending too much time on the computer/forum so was concentrating on other things. :)

Nice one Leon, I hope he'll call in at some point, he was a stalwart of this thread for a long time :) :thumbsup:

Goodmorning everyone, just want to say congrats on the milestone and thank you to everyone here. I am a relativly new member (of the guardians) and i very much enjoy keeping up on this thread. If i am lucky when i get home today i will have something new to post here!! Have a great day!

Goodmorning everyone, just want to say congrats on the milestone and thank you to everyone here. I am a relativly new member (of the guardians) and i very much enjoy keeping up on this thread. If i am lucky when i get home today i will have something new to post here!! Have a great day!
Thanks Kevin, hope you get a good one :) Feel free to enter the giveaway :thumbsup:

Hey Jack, fantastic photos thanks for sharing. I especially like that packhorse bridge.

Stunning photos Greg looks like a great day for it. The U.S certainly doesn't lack for want of amazing scenery and Yosemite must top the list.
But one thing I miss in the UK is our lack of elevation; Ben Nevis in Scotland is our highest point at 4,413ft.

Bike ride for me yesterday.
94d0P2W.jpg

KKurIlu.jpg

0VwWJl7.jpg

s7HrBwi.jpg
David, Talking about elevation in Scotland, I shot this photo whilst on vacation there a few years back.
IMG_1461.JPG

Thanks Kevin, hope you get a good one :) Feel free to enter the giveaway :thumbsup:
Jack, the ones arriving today will most definitely be "good ones" and here is my pic for entry. 20210616_083759_copy_756x1008.jpgi am on a local roadtrip for work today stopped for a quick break. Its funny my trip is actually taking me to my home town so i get to have lunch with my mom today! Have a great day everyone!

Back