Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I'm back with this big ole Stag this morning. Hope all of you have a great Friday! :D

That one looks better and better Ron :) I had an excellent day, makes a real difference when the sun is shining! :D I'm hoping it'll last for the weekend, particularly as I'm headed out for a hike tomorrow. Think I'm going to be carrying my ebony again (old pic here) :) Have a great weekend everyone :thumbsup:

AW Ebony Lambsfoot 6-9.jpg

Last edited:
Finally figured out why I was having extra trouble putting an edge on my first new Lambs Foot.
The blade is warped starting from the tip back about 1 1/4" oh well, that's life in the fast lane. :p

Finally figured out why I was having extra trouble putting an edge on my first new Lambs Foot.
The blade is warped starting from the tip back about 1 1/4" oh well, that's life in the fast lane. :p

That's rotten luck! :( I'd suggest you contact Wright's about it, they are usually pretty good about replacing defective knives :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black Thanks my friend. Hope you have a good hike and a great weekend! :)

Thanks a lot Ron, you too :) :thumbsup:

Yeah, I purchased it through a dealer, and told them. They said they will tell Wrights,which I doubt.
For all the costs and trouble, I'll just Wright it off ;) You see what I did there Wright? :p

I have an ebony and buffalo horn in the mail, which most likely will take a couple more weeks yet
lets hope all's good with them.

Yeah, I purchased it through a dealer, and told them. They said they will tell Wrights,which I doubt.
For all the costs and trouble, I'll just Wright it off ;) You see what I did there Wright? :p

I have an ebony and buffalo horn in the mail, which most likely will take a couple more weeks yet
lets hope all's good with them.
That's rotten luck! :( I'd suggest you contact Wright's about it, they are usually pretty good about replacing defective knives :thumbsup:
Boy o boy, my ebony lambs foot was in the mail! I was thinking at least another week or more before it came.
The only problem is after I got the tightly wrapped bubble wrap off, It's the wrong knife! its a Ettrick Blade Pocket Knife With Ebony Handle - A. Wright
Dang!

Gorgeous knife, Paul! The horn and the file work really come together to make for a particularly stunning and unique knife. Very nice acquisition.

I was at one of my favorite pubs last night and enjoyed a pint and a pipe sitting at the outdoor fire pit. (Sorry, no pictures. I tend to forget to snap pics when I am at the pub). I have not found myself a suitable pipe knife yet so I usually resort to using whatever pocket knife that I have on hand to tamp and scrape my pipe bowl whilst smoking. I just so happened to have a Lambsfoot with me and I pulled it out to scrape the ash out of the bowl after my smoke and then I set it on the stonework by the fire. The knife caught the eye of a gentleman who came to sit near me and he asked if he could take a look at it. Being in somewhat of a pleasant mood, I handed him the knife and he proceeded to handle it in the unmistakable fashion that only a "knife guy" would.

I was surprised to meet up with someone who was a fellow knife enthusiast and a stranger and we enjoyed some pleasant conversation and, being the knife guys that we are, we never have only one knife on our person, so we embarked on a bit of show and tell while we conversed. A rather pleasant evening. He apparently has a presence here on the forums but stated he had not been on in awhile and I cannot recall seeing his handle anytime recently.

All in all, it was a great opportunity to discuss the merits of the venerable Lambsfoot with a relative stranger who is into knives.

b2ui1E7.jpg

Two very good friends of mine have a young son I have known since he was born. He's eight this year, and has expressed an interest in having a penknife. His parents suggested he talk to me about it, and I am honoured to have been given permission to buy him his first knife. I have a Lambsfoot with a light pull, which I think will suit him, and me and his dad (who has had many knives from me) are planning a joint whittling session with the lad soon :)
Fine diplomatic work, gentlemen.

Boy o boy, my ebony lambs foot was in the mail! I was thinking at least another week or more before it came.
The only problem is after I got the tightly wrapped bubble wrap off, It's the wrong knife! its a Ettrick Blade Pocket Knife With Ebony Handle - A. Wright
Dang!
That's a bummer and kind of cool at the same time. The Ettrick is a cool pattern but it's no Lambsfoot. ;)
Did the dealer offer to replace your warped Lambsfoot?

That's a bummer and kind of cool at the same time. The Ettrick is a cool pattern but it's no Lambsfoot. ;)
Did the dealer offer to replace your warped Lambsfoot?

No, he did not offer a replacement ,but I did email him right away this afternoon regarding the Ettrick.
I said if he could wave the shipping on another Lambs foot I will keep the Ettrick. I won't hear I suppose until tomorrow morning
as there is 7hrs or so difference England to Canada. As you said the ET is a cool little knife,so at this point,I hope he go's for it.

Stunner! :thumbsup:

We should have a secret handshake! ;) :D :thumbsup:
YES!

Two very good friends of mine have a young son I have known since he was born. He's eight this year, and has expressed an interest in having a penknife. His parents suggested he talk to me about it, and I am honoured to have been given permission to buy him his first knife. I have a Lambsfoot with a light pull, which I think will suit him, and me and his dad (who has had many knives from me) are planning a joint whittling session with the lad soon :)
Every kid should have a Uncle Jack!

Fingers crossed, spring seems to have finally arrived in the north of England :) I'm heading down to my local market in the morning, then hoping to visit one of the local towns on the lookout for some pointy treasure ;) I'll be slipping my Guardians Lambsfoot in my pocket. Hope everyone is having a good week :thumbsup:

View attachment 890051
What's the wooden toy? Any toy I can possibly carve with a knife is very interesting to me.
Also, I hope the weather holds out for you and you have a wonderful hike.

Another old pic of my first Lambsfoot.
15872584347_1b57acdbbc_h.jpg

No, he did not offer a replacement ,but I did email him right away this afternoon regarding the Ettrick.
I said if he could wave the shipping on another Lambs foot I will keep the Ettrick. I won't hear I suppose until tomorrow morning
as there is 7hrs or so difference England to Canada. As you said the ET is a cool little knife,so at this point,I hope he go's for it.
I hope so, it sounds to me that's a pretty good deal for the dealer. Best of luck

Thanks man,I'm not one to rock the jukebox. I had a stress complicated heart attack,last September, since then I try to take the path of least resistance, if only I had done that 20 years ago! :D

Morning Guardians,

I genuinely hope that you will forgive my extended absence. Between work, work-related travel and school my weeks have been topping out around 90 hours and that leaves only the slightest amount of time for my kiddos.

I was pleased to see that both Chin and Rob enjoyed the salsas and exercised their Lambsfoot knives in the process. Keep up the good work gents; I'm looking forward to your future creations and fully expect you to outdo the original recipe!

Jack, I hope your six-month cough is doing better, and you are experiencing some relief. Your daily carry photos are a constant morale boost.

To all the Guardians and your beautiful knives, thank you for the lovely pictures that have given me brief moments of peace away from responsibilities.

Despite being busy, I was reunited with my original Lambsfoot, and it has been in my pocket nonstop. I genuinely love the way that horn ages on these knives with consecutive months of carry and use. It is indeed a thing of beauty and if the knife could talk it would tell the tale of all its use and enjoyment in it's many tasks and travels.

B83AD9D0-F80A-49EE-892C-C9D69CDE6CF5.jpeg

I did one day find the time, well I should say one week, to make a sourdough starter, create a leaven and then while writing papers enjoy brief breaks ultimately producing two delicious loaves of french bread. Of course none of it possible without the original Lambsfoot.

4B558A23-B563-42AB-BE57-B0B9D22102A0.jpeg
D8D1B378-D7FB-4EA0-B5EA-4B3436B0A2EF.jpeg
AE8A4976-2671-4B47-848E-A1197D649C72.jpeg
4FED626C-26AE-48DD-92D1-2F61155AD5CA.jpeg

Have a fantastic weekend Guardians. I should be back around on a regular basis in roughly another month.

BE2E7436-5EA5-4D71-AB8C-B48FC7871B16.jpeg

A little bigger in the pocket, but a little extra panache to it also, I think.

I finally tracked down a source that ships to the US and tried one of these generic stainless "real lamb foot" knives out. I was surprised at how comfortable the larger handle is, I think the amount of taper in width of the handle has something to do with this. I agree that it is a bit big in the pocket, but stainless makes it great for carrying in the truck or having in a tool or tackle box.

flatblackcapo flatblackcapo - really like the palmswell of this one.........hmm, I wonder...

View attachment 891634
One more Lamsfoot never hurt anyone. :D

Jack gave me one of those. A little bigger in the pocket, but a little extra panache to it also, I think.
I KNEW IT! Jack Black Jack Black has been the kingpin in this conspiracy to spread the Lambsfoot to all corners of the globe, all along! :D

I finally tracked down a source that ships to the US and tried one of these generic stainless "real lamb foot" knives out. I was surprised at how comfortable the larger handle is, I think the amount of taper in width of the handle has something to do with this. I agree that it is a bit big in the pocket, but stainless makes it great for carrying in the truck or having in a tool or tackle box.
I quite liked mine. It did have a bit more sway to it than the Wrights knives but it was comfortable in hand and the stainless held up pretty well. A lot of bang for your buck, in my opinion.

Back