Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I just clamp onto the handle with my sharpening system. Works well enough for single blades like my Lambsfoot.

What system is it John? I just sharpened a different blade, (I was struggling to find a blade to sharpen), but I reckon I could have got results at least as good, and a lot faster, either freehand or with my Spyderco system. I just watched this, which is like watching paint dry, but the feller is blaming himself, when the fault is with the design.

It's a Lansky guided rod system...
That's been around a LONG time John :) I've never used one, but it's a very comprehensive system. Do you need to clamp the handle with your Lambsfoot knives, or could you clamp the blade if you wanted to? I use that honing oil on when I sharpen my axes :) :thumbsup:

Do you need to clamp the handle with your Lambsfoot knives
Yes, I need to clamp the handles when I sharpen most of my knives.
It can be tough though, some of my Lambs have thick handles and won't fit the clamp.
For those knives I go back to the Lanky Turn Box rod sharpener.

I finally got a little time to try out the Worksharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener today. I've watched a bunch of videos about this system, but I should have noticed that the guys using it are sharpening large modern folders, kitchen knives, or fixed blades, rather than traditionals. If you've not seen this system around, here's one of Worksharp's instructional videos:

If you don't want to sit through that, you can probably get a good idea of how it's supposed to work from the image on the box:

vCnFWyI.jpg

Basically you clamp the knife in place, set the angle you want the edge, and use one of the 3 abrasives, which slide along the rod to sharpen the edge, as shown in this illustration.

7G6fYlA.jpg

With a large/wide blade, like the one below, that works fine, at 20 degrees.

jqJoHEY.jpg

But with a smaller or slimmer blade, such as a Lambsfoot blade (or any number of other traditional patterns), the abrasive is actually taking metal off the jaws of the clamp, rather than the edge.

OmS8Tcb.jpg

I didn't need a new sharpening system, and bought the Precision Adjust out of curiosity. I dare say I'll find a use for it, but so far, it's a decided failure in terms of sharpening a Lambsfoot :(

Jack Black Jack Black

I had high hopes for this system, given how compact it appeared. I think this is a common problem with clamp sharpening system. Even the Edge pro Apex which doesn't utilize a clamp system has this issue and needs a 'small blade' adaptor.

I have a KME system (which I bought used) has the same problem. The blade edge is too close to the clamp on the small blade knives. I've seen more expensive systems that has a very slim profile on their clamps but as long as the clamp adds thickness to the blade profile, you'll never get as close to the blade profile than a 'free hand'.

Here is a video I found that talks about not putting the small blade as deeply into the groove there by moving the edge away from the clamp (start about 5:50 or so).

Hope you'll still get to enjoy the sharpener and get your lambsfoots screaming sharp!!!

These past few days, I've been wondering if you'd got a new camera Jer :thumbsup:

Not too gruesome I hope Joshua! :eek: Cool pile-side pic of your AC my friend :) :thumbsup:
I wasn’t able to get any pictures, but a friend did. I think this one might be suitable as it is in the last stage of preparation—just removing the neck. There were some with too much for sensitive eyes!
524DF8DA-BC44-4C09-89B5-E6D46D0FEB07.jpeg

Yes, I need to clamp the handles when I sharpen most of my knives.
It can be tough though, some of my Lambs have thick handles and won't fit the clamp.
For those knives I go back to the Lanky Turn Box rod sharpener.
That's really a shame John :( :thumbsup:
Jack Black Jack Black

I had high hopes for this system, given how compact it appeared. I think this is a common problem with clamp sharpening system. Even the Edge pro Apex which doesn't utilize a clamp system has this issue and needs a 'small blade' adaptor.

I have a KME system (which I bought used) has the same problem. The blade edge is too close to the clamp on the small blade knives. I've seen more expensive systems that has a very slim profile on their clamps but as long as the clamp adds thickness to the blade profile, you'll never get as close to the blade profile than a 'free hand'.

Here is a video I found that talks about not putting the small blade as deeply into the groove there by moving the edge away from the clamp (start about 5:50 or so).

Hope you'll still get to enjoy the sharpener and get your lambsfoots screaming sharp!!!

It's a pretty major design flaw that the manufacturers have failed to take into account, and failed to mention subsequently, it seems Ken :( With the blade I've just sharpened, I was able to clamp it so that I missed the edge of the clamp, but even doing that, it's not working out with a Lambsfoot blade. I also imagine altering the position of the blade in the clamp changes the sharpening angle, and won't allow for consistent re-sharpening. Thanks for the video, I'll check it out :) As we all know, a Lambsfoot is dead easy to sharpen, and I'm sure the sharpener isn't a complete waste of money. I have to say though, that I don't enjoy the sharpening experience as much with this kind of system :thumbsup:

I wasn’t able to get any pictures, but a friend did. I think this one might be suitable as it is in the last stage of preparation—just removing the neck. There were some with too much for sensitive eyes!
View attachment 1610198
LOL! Oh, so you were slaughtering DEAD chickens! :D Have a great time Joshua :) :thumbsup:
I think i saw a solution for this but cannot remember where, i will see if i can find it again.
Thanks Leon :) :thumbsup:

LOL! Oh, so you were slaughtering DEAD chickens! :D Have a great time Joshua :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Leon :) :thumbsup:
Technically, that’s all I did, but there were others doing the bleeding, scalding, tumbling, gutting, and packaging.

One shot of the carnage isn’t too much, I hope!? I’ll make it a thumbnail so it isn’t so big.
D94DCDFB-4106-449F-9230-74538A0E06B9.jpeg

Technically, that’s all I did, but there were others doing the bleeding, scalding, tumbling, gutting, and packaging.

One shot of the carnage isn’t too much, I hope!? I’ll make it a thumbnail so it isn’t so big.
View attachment 1610205
Hey, I've got to sleep soon! :eek: :D ;)
I apologize for the “non lambsfoot” blades, too.
:)
Here’s my lambsfoot anticipating a chip butty!
View attachment 1610206
Great stuff Joshua, I hope you enjoy it, and good luck in the giveaway :) :thumbsup:

Ace! :cool: Looks like a great night all round buddy :) I haven't seen Jaws for years, but must seek it out! :D :thumbsup:
I haven’t seen Jaws in years either. We love to watch nature documentaries so I’m wondering how the kids will respond to a movie where the creature eats the people! I’m guessing they will think it is cool 😎 have a good night, my friend!

I haven’t seen Jaws in years either. We love to watch nature documentaries so I’m wondering how the kids will respond to a movie where the creature eats the people! I’m guessing they will think it is cool 😎 have a good night, my friend!

As far as I recall, Jaws was the first film shown in the UK, which premiered across the whole country on the same day (so nobody had seen it). I was only young when I saw it myself, but there were some young girls in front of us, in the cinema, who shrieked the whole place down when the head rolls into view in the sunken boat :D My younger sister ended up seeing the film about 27 times! :rolleyes: :D I always have to tell younger friends that beer cans weren't made from aluminium in those days! :D :thumbsup:

I thought they kind of dodged the question of sharpening smaller blades Ken :rolleyes: Thanks again for the link, that's one I'd missed before :thumbsup:

One of the reasons I bought this system was that I really like the Worksharp Guided Field Sharpener I have, which was a gift from Reaper AL Reaper AL :) :thumbsup:

wsgfs221$01-work-sharp-v201901.jpg

You are totally right. They just say, pull the blade out a bit lol. As you had mentioned before, this makes it near impossible to repeat the sharpening angles in the subsequent round. You'll have to 'find' it every time you want to sharpen 😖

Back