Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I've had this Lansky sharpening system since it first came out in the mid to late 70's. These are all diamond hones with a ceramic finish hone.
I've yet to come across a traditional knife that Lansky won't or couldn't sharpen. The pen blades on smaller knives can be tricky though.
Setup of the Lansky system can be a pain, what with matching a rod to hone for dead level straightness. Usually once set up, I don't break it down for a while.
Then there is the Spyderco Sharpmaker and Work Sharp ~ Ken Onion. The Ken Onion even comes with a 6000 grit belt for a mirror finish.
Lately I prefer the Work Sharp ~ Ken Onion, especially as my freehand technique gets better and better.
It does have a guide but the guide works best for fixed blades. Pocket knives are pretty much freehand after an initial angle check in the guide.
I have a couple of stones around here too ... somewhere.

I2drg3z.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, Friends and Fellow Guardians! I apologize for my prolonged absences lately. Just when I thought I had a handle on work and was settling into The Porch again, things got even busier! Fortunately things are going well, there's just too much to juggle at the moment.

I did want to pop in and say hi and share a fun little lambsfoot exploit. Our ever-generous Jack Black Jack Black was kind enough to send me a tin of Romney's Kendal Mint Cake along with a warning that one could lose a tooth eating it. Trusting my friend's judgement, but curiosity piqued, I've been either using a knife to cut off little bits and suck on them like a hard candy. It's got a strong mint flavor and whatever chunk I cut off lasts for a long time in my mouth as I suck on it.

Well, I was joking with Jack that perhaps shaving up some of it and throwing it in some rye whiskey would make for a make-shift trail mint julep. Tonight I figured I'd give it a try. Here's the prep, done with a lambsfoot, of course:

d03oLELh.jpg

Note how it sticks to the edge of the blade. It took quite a bit of scrubbing to remove. Again, folks, don't bite into this stuff if you value your teeth!

The shavings were added to a couple of ounces of rye whiskey:

bCssBkxh.jpg

It took quite a while and a lot of occasional stirring/muddling to get the mint cake shavings to be mostly dissolved. Eventually I gave up and decided a few little remaining bits were good for building character and went ahead and added a bit of ice and a splash of seltzer water:

T1e4bmih.jpg

Not half bad. Next time I'll use more mint cake and probably let it sit for a few hours to dissolve on its own.

Cheers, everyone! I hope your weekend ahead is healthy, happy, and fun!

It took quite a while and a lot of occasional stirring/muddling to get the mint cake shavings to be mostly dissolved. Eventually I gave up and decided a few little remaining bits were good for building character and went ahead and added a bit of ice and a splash of seltzer water:

Not half bad. Next time I'll use more mint cake and probably let it sit for a few hours to dissolve on its own.
I like your thinking and your creativity. :p :thumbsup:

I didn't want you to miss it Barrett, and thought you'd be up for a culinary challenge :) :thumbsup:

I’m looking forward to it, Jack. I think I might try my hand at both just for fun. 😁 Never had a chip butty, so I figure I have to do that, and then I’ll give the Yorkshire pud a go for a bit of a challenge. :thumbsup:

LOL! :D It's a fairly common name for barber's shops here, they seem to compete to see who can have the corniest names, some examples being Lunatic Fringe, Hair Today Dye Tomorrow, Shear-Lock Combs, Julius Scissor, Grateful Dredds, Curl Up & Dye, Hair Raid Shelter, British Hairways, Jack The Clipper, Hairy Pop-Ins, Herr Kutz, etc. :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Sounds like the barbers there have an interesting sense of humor. (At least the Sweeney Todd’s in your photo didn’t appear to be above or adjacent to a pie shop!) 🙂

That's a great-looking pie my friend :) I nearly over-cooked this one last night, but it was pretty darn tasty with gravy, and a dash of Henderson's, of course ;) :D :thumbsup:

OdcIIWB.jpg

Looks good to me, Jack! :thumbsup: (Out of curiosity, is Henderson’s an appropriate addition to a “proper” chip butty?)

My apologies for getting back to you fellas so late. In my absentminded state, I didn't even think to give Port Askaig a second look - part of my mind must have figured it was an Islay dram that I had not heard of or tried before. That said, your comments gave me cause to do some digging.

Port Askaig is actually a village and the outfit that curates these Islay sourced whiskies saw fit to name their efforts after it. It sounds like the outfit has aspirations of starting their own distillery in Islay but until then, they source their whiskies (some blends, some single malts) from the other rather notable Islay distilleries.

This article sheds a bit of light on their efforts: Port Askaig: Islay's Other Scotch Whisky

I find my example to be rather rich and lavish - very, very enjoyable.

I had me a dram of Lagavulin 9 (GOT Edition) last night - I enjoyed it in good company.

uH2Jh57.jpg

Interesting info about the Port Askaig whisky, Dylan. :thumbsup:

Sorry if I’ve asked before, but how is that GOT Lagavulin? I’ve heard some good things about it, but never bought a bottle. (Interestingly enough, I just checked the website of one of the bigger liquor stores around here and they still show it in stock. I’d have figured that ship had long since sailed. Reasonably priced, too, for a Lagavulin.)

I picked up this 11 year Offerman Edition a couple years ago. Finally got around to enjoying it around Christmas last year, as part of my DIY whisk(e)y advent calendar. A bit brighter than the 16, with some interesting differences.

3cGZgRj.jpg

And just a couple weeks ago I picked up another Offerman Edition; this one’s finished in Guinness casks. I haven’t cracked it open yet, but I figure it can’t be bad. 😁

brEk8H0.jpg

(This was on my Imgur account next to first pic above. It made me chuckle, so I figured I’d post it again.) 😁

Kbu6nlj.png

Very nice Dylan :) I still haven't come across the 9 , but I do have an un-opened 16 ;) :thumbsup:

I think I may have two unopened bottles of the 16 stashed away somewhere. 🙂 (There was talk a couple years ago of a significant tariff increase on Scotch, so I stocked up. It must’ve never happened, because I can still buy a bottle for the same price as when I stocked up, give or take a couple dollars.)

That is one fine looking chip butty, there is one huge down side to our time zone difference, when ever i see these photos it is just before breakfast here, and they make me want a chip butty for breakfast, with maybe a poached egg thrown ino_O:p.

That sounds like a pretty good breakfast to me, even if it is “wrong.” 😁

Posting my entry for the Yorkshire GAW early as I will probably be once again taking a little solo boating adventure this long weekend.

So here it is :)

I finally had a chip butty which I think it may have taken me out of my ketosis state in my keto diet LOL :thumbsup: :D

I also gave a try to the famous British style fried fish :thumbsup:

For the batter I kept it rather simple.
I used white flour, baking soda, a bit of cornstarch and salt and spices to taste.
Instead of cold beer I used some VERY COLD Perrier fizzy water ( from France lol )
For fish I bought some very high quality wild caught Haddock from a fancy supermarket here that is not known to be cheap :)

The results were really good :thumbsup:
My parents that are visiting us as well as my wife and I enjoyed it very much.

Happy Yorkshire Day Jack and Guardians :)

jZeX37O.jpg

ycuDYbR.jpg

Nicely done, Dan! :thumbsup:

Hope it's OK now Leon, it was supposed to be only 42% full, but I've added a bit more space :thumbsup:

Jack, I think with the new software, there are separate limits for how many “conversations” you can have and how many individual messages you can have. If you have several replies back and forth in each conversation, your message limit will fill up faster than your conversation limit. I’m guessing the 42% is shown at the top of your list of conversations? Go into a conversation and scroll down to the end, beneath the most recent message. That should show the real percentage of how many messages you’ve used. Hope that makes sense and is helpful.

(Just checked the Paid Subscriptions page. With a Gold membership, you’re allowed 100 conversations and 250 total messages.)

I finally got a little time to try out the Worksharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener today. I've watched a bunch of videos about this system, but I should have noticed that the guys using it are sharpening large modern folders, kitchen knives, or fixed blades, rather than traditionals. If you've not seen this system around, here's one of Worksharp's instructional videos:

If you don't want to sit through that, you can probably get a good idea of how it's supposed to work from the image on the box:

vCnFWyI.jpg

Basically you clamp the knife in place, set the angle you want the edge, and use one of the 3 abrasives, which slide along the rod to sharpen the edge, as shown in this illustration.

7G6fYlA.jpg

With a large/wide blade, like the one below, that works fine, at 20 degrees.

jqJoHEY.jpg

But with a smaller or slimmer blade, such as a Lambsfoot blade (or any number of other traditional patterns), the abrasive is actually taking metal off the jaws of the clamp, rather than the edge.

OmS8Tcb.jpg

I didn't need a new sharpening system, and bought the Precision Adjust out of curiosity. I dare say I'll find a use for it, but so far, it's a decided failure in terms of sharpening a Lambsfoot :(

That’s a shame, Jack. I’ve looked at that system before and wondered how you could sharpen, say, a small secondary pen blade on it, but I would’ve thought it could handle something like that Lambsfoot blade. 😕

. I’ve looked at that system before and wondered how you could sharpen, say, a small secondary pen blade on it, but I would’ve thought it could handle something like that Lambsfoot blade. 😕
And you are correct, it should handle any blade of that size comfortably.

You are totally right. They just say, pull the blade out a bit lol. As you had mentioned before, this makes it near impossible to repeat the sharpening angles in the subsequent round. You'll have to 'find' it every time you want to sharpen 😖
It's a pretty major flaw I think. Watching the WorkSharp videos, you'd think they'd invented the perfect sharpener, but the user videos don't seem to pick up this failing either :rolleyes:
Hello, Friends and Fellow Guardians! I apologize for my prolonged absences lately. Just when I thought I had a handle on work and was settling into The Porch again, things got even busier! Fortunately things are going well, there's just too much to juggle at the moment.

I did want to pop in and say hi and share a fun little lambsfoot exploit. Our ever-generous Jack Black Jack Black was kind enough to send me a tin of Romney's Kendal Mint Cake along with a warning that one could lose a tooth eating it. Trusting my friend's judgement, but curiosity piqued, I've been either using a knife to cut off little bits and suck on them like a hard candy. It's got a strong mint flavor and whatever chunk I cut off lasts for a long time in my mouth as I suck on it.

Well, I was joking with Jack that perhaps shaving up some of it and throwing it in some rye whiskey would make for a make-shift trail mint julep. Tonight I figured I'd give it a try. Here's the prep, done with a lambsfoot, of course:

d03oLELh.jpg

Note how it sticks to the edge of the blade. It took quite a bit of scrubbing to remove. Again, folks, don't bite into this stuff if you value your teeth!

bCssBkxh.jpg

T1e4bmih.jpg

Cheers, everyone! I hope your weekend ahead is healthy, happy, and fun!
It's great to see you here Greg, you may just have invented the 'Mallory'! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I hope you'll enter my Yorkshire Day giveaway my friend :) :thumbsup:
I’m looking forward to it, Jack. I think I might try my hand at both just for fun. 😁 Never had a chip butty, so I figure I have to do that, and then I’ll give the Yorkshire pud a go for a bit of a challenge. :thumbsup:
Good for you Barrett :) I hope you enjoy your first chip butty! :D :thumbsup:
Sounds like the barbers there have an interesting sense of humor. (At least the Sweeney Todd’s in your photo didn’t appear to be above or adjacent to a pie shop!) 🙂
A few years back, there was a pub next door, which sold pies! :eek: :D :thumbsup:
Looks good to me, Jack! :thumbsup: (Out of curiosity, is Henderson’s an appropriate addition to a “proper” chip butty?)
Very much so my friend :) :thumbsup:
I picked up this 11 year Offerman Edition a couple years ago. Finally got around to enjoying it around Christmas last year, as part of my DIY whisk(e)y advent calendar. A bit brighter than the 16, with some interesting differences.

3cGZgRj.jpg

And just a couple weeks ago I picked up another Offerman Edition; this one’s finished in Guinness casks. I haven’t cracked it open yet, but I figure it can’t be bad. 😁

brEk8H0.jpg
Great photos Barrett, and interesting whisky finds :) :thumbsup:
(This was on my Imgur account next to first pic above. It made me chuckle, so I figured I’d post it again.) 😁

Kbu6nlj.png
LOL! :D Great character :D :thumbsup: I watched an action film with Chris Pratt in recently, was kind of weird - well it was a weird film, but it was even weirder with 'Andy' in it :D :thumbsup:
I think I may have two unopened bottles of the 16 stashed away somewhere. 🙂 (There was talk a couple years ago of a significant tariff increase on Scotch, so I stocked up. It must’ve never happened, because I can still buy a bottle for the same price as when I stocked up, give or take a couple dollars.)
I did a similar pre-Brexit stocking-up, and that has certainly paid off, as prices are going through the roof here :eek:
Jack, I think with the new software, there are separate limits for how many “conversations” you can have and how many individual messages you can have. If you have several replies back and forth in each conversation, your message limit will fill up faster than your conversation limit. I’m guessing the 42% is shown at the top of your list of conversations? Go into a conversation and scroll down to the end, beneath the most recent message. That should show the real percentage of how many messages you’ve used. Hope that makes sense and is helpful.

(Just checked the Paid Subscriptions page. With a Gold membership, you’re allowed 100 conversations and 250 total messages.)
Many thanks for that explanation buddy :) :thumbsup:
That’s a shame, Jack. I’ve looked at that system before and wondered how you could sharpen, say, a small secondary pen blade on it, but I would’ve thought it could handle something like that Lambsfoot blade. 😕
Yes, a Lambsfoot has a slim blade, but still much wider than a Pen 🤨
You are in for a culinary delight my friend. :p
Definitely! :D Maybe one day I'll go over to the chippy of my childhood, me and my mates used to live on chip butties from here during the school holidays :D It's changed hands many times, and that neighbourhood has changed out of all recognition, but it still seems to have a good reputation :thumbsup:

The exterior hasn't changed that much since I was a kid :thumbsup:

qQvZsIb.jpg

And you are correct, it should handle any blade of that size comfortably.
In my book, a sharpener that can't sharpen a Lambsfoot isn't fit for purpose! 😕 ;) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, I know there are some big events elsewhere in the world, Mardi Gras in New Orleans, Bastille Day in France, Super Bowl weekend, but let's get things into perspective, it's Yorkshire Day weekend! :D I know Melbourne Cup Day is a big event, and Saint Patrick's Day in Chicago, but this is Yorkshire Day after all! What are the fireworks of Chinese New Year, or the sights of the Rio Carnival, compared to half a dozen cloth-capped old men sharing a plate of mushy peas, or downing a pint of Sam Smiths? I'm sorry you can't be here with me my friends and fellow Guardians, but if you have a Lambsfoot in your pocket, you have a piece of Yorkshire with you! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I shall be brushing off my flat-cap, dubbinin' me pit-boyts, and dusting off me whippet ready for the great day tomorrow ;) Have a great weekend everyone :thumbsup:

9bk2Z2o.jpg

Jack - the AC really got stuck in- You are 100% bang on about use and the sharpening my friend. 😊👍
Thanks mate, that's a real compliment :) Hope you're having a great weekend Duncan, and I hope you'll enter my giveaway :) :thumbsup:

Love it. Real Old School. You would go next door grab a paper and a packet of gaspers have a chin wag while your order was being cooked. 😍
Yeah, great place mate! :D There was a real old-fashioned sweet shop on the other side, where you could get a 1/4lb of sherbet lemons or gobstoppers for a bob, and of course they sold fags too! :D We would always eat our chip-butties standing on the pavement outside :) Across the road, there was another fish and chip shop called Dales, but I don't know why they bothered opening, as barely anyone went to it. Next to that was my mate's dad's fishmongers, they lived behind the shop. It was a great area to grow up in :) :thumbsup:

Interesting info about the Port Askaig whisky, Dylan. :thumbsup:

Sorry if I’ve asked before, but how is that GOT Lagavulin? I’ve heard some good things about it, but never bought a bottle. (Interestingly enough, I just checked the website of one of the bigger liquor stores around here and they still show it in stock. I’d have figured that ship had long since sailed. Reasonably priced, too, for a Lagavulin.)

3cGZgRj.jpg

brEk8H0.jpg

Kbu6nlj.png

That sounds like a pretty good breakfast to me, even if it is “wrong.” 😁

Nicely done, Dan! :thumbsup:

Barrett, if it's Lagavulin it has got to be good.
It's a pretty major flaw I think. Watching the WorkSharp videos, you'd think they'd invented the perfect sharpener, but the user videos don't seem to pick up this failing either :rolleyes:

It's great to see you here Greg, you may just have invented the 'Mallory'! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I hope you'll enter my Yorkshire Day giveaway my friend :) :thumbsup:

Good for you Barrett :) I hope you enjoy your first chip butty! :D :thumbsup:

A few years back, there was a pub next door, which sold pies! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Great photos Barrett, and interesting whisky finds :) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D Great character :D :thumbsup: I watched an action film with Chris Pratt in recently, was kind of weird - well it was a weird film, but it was even weirder with 'Andy' in it :D :thumbsup:

I did a similar pre-Brexit stocking-up, and that has certainly paid off, as prices are going through the roof here :eek:

Many thanks for that explanation buddy :) :thumbsup:

Yes, a Lambsfoot has a slim blade, but still much wider than a Pen 🤨

Definitely! :D Maybe one day I'll go over to the chippy of my childhood, me and my mates used to live on chip butties from here during the school holidays :D It's changed hands many times, and that neighbourhood has changed out of all recognition, but it still seems to have a good reputation :thumbsup:

The exterior hasn't changed that much since I was a kid :thumbsup:

qQvZsIb.jpg

In my book, a sharpener that can't sharpen a Lambsfoot isn't fit for purpose! 😕 ;) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, I know there are some big events elsewhere in the world, Mardi Gras in New Orleans, Bastille Day in France, Super Bowl weekend, but let's get things into perspective, it's Yorkshire Day weekend! :D I know Melbourne Cup Day is a big event, and Saint Patrick's Day in Chicago, but this is Yorkshire Day after all! What are the fireworks of Chinese New Year, or the sights of the Rio Carnival, compared to half a dozen cloth-capped old men sharing a plate of mushy peas, or downing a pint of Sam Smiths? I'm sorry you can't be here with me my friends and fellow Guardians, but if you have a Lambsfoot in your pocket, you have a piece of Yorkshire with you! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I shall be brushing off my flat-cap, dubbinin' me pit-boyts, and dusting off me whippet ready for the great day tomorrow ;) Have a great weekend everyone :thumbsup:

9bk2Z2o.jpg
Jack, you HHB is looking good for Yorkshire Day.:thumbsup: Hope you are enjoying the weekend.:cool:

Today is starting out sunny but I'm hoping for some rain. Even though we get a lot of rain the soil here is sandy and it dries out quickly. We haven't had much precipitation in the last week. It's been so stinking hot here that I've spent much of my time inside. Been continuing to add hand rubbed coats of London Oil to my gunstock - nice inside job. I decided to give my HHB a rest and put this one in my pocket.
IMG_3074.JPG
IMG_3347.jpgIMG_3353.jpg

You are in for a culinary delight my friend. :p

Can’t wait! 😁 :thumbsup:

😲😁

I figured it was probably acceptable, but I just wanted to make sure. 😉

That same episode where they visit London was the first one filmed after Chris Pratt got into shape for Guardians of the Galaxy. They wrote it into the show with Andy briefly mentioning that he stopped drinking beer and lost 50 lbs in a month.

“How much beer were you drinking?”

“Haha I know, right? Probably too much…”

😁

Glad your stocking up paid off (although it’s a shame about the prices).

As you can see, Rio Carnival has nothing compared to Yorkshire Day in the City of York, where they have really pushed the boat out this year! :eek: 🤣🤣🤣

I hope things don’t get too rowdy! 😉😁

Any idea what the black and white video that’s briefly shown is? I noticed the Kit Kat bar when she pulls out the drawer, wasn’t sure if it was an old commercial or something.

Barrett, if it's Lagavulin it has got to be good.

Indeed! 😁 :thumbsup:

Lambsfoot content — “The Yorkshire Original”

XdQovfM.jpg

Jack, you HHB is looking good for Yorkshire Day.:thumbsup: Hope you are enjoying the weekend.:cool:

Today is starting out sunny but I'm hoping for some rain. Even though we get a lot of rain the soil here is sandy and it dries out quickly. We haven't had much precipitation in the last week. It's been so stinking hot here that I've spent much of my time inside. Been continuing to add hand rubbed coats of London Oil to my gunstock - nice inside job. I decided to give my HHB a rest and put this one in my pocket.
View attachment 1610433
View attachment 1610434View attachment 1610435
Thanks Bill :) That gunstock is looking superb, as is your 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:
Can’t wait! 😁 :thumbsup:
:D :thumbsup:
I figured it was probably acceptable, but I just wanted to make sure. 😉
Definitely mate, I don't often put it on, but that is only because I forget! :D :thumbsup:
That same episode where they visit London was the first one filmed after Chris Pratt got into shape for Guardians of the Galaxy. They wrote it into the show with Andy briefly mentioning that he stopped drinking beer and lost 50 lbs in a month.

“How much beer were you drinking?”

“Haha I know, right? Probably too much…”

😁
LOL! :D I need to catch up on the later series Barrett :) :thumbsup:
Glad your stocking up paid off (although it’s a shame about the prices).
Yeah, came in handy for the lockdown too ;) :D :thumbsup:
I hope things don’t get too rowdy! 😉😁

Any idea what the black and white video that’s briefly shown is? I noticed the Kit Kat bar when she pulls out the drawer, wasn’t sure if it was an old commercial or something.
Yeah, they're really packing them in aren't they?! :rolleyes: Those kids looked like they had been dragooned! :D I'm afraid I couldn't really make it out Barrett, but Kit Kats are made in York :thumbsup:
Lambsfoot content — “The Yorkshire Original”

XdQovfM.jpg
Great pic! :cool: :) :thumbsup:

I'm on my own today, so decided to go out to the country, and have a couple of pints and something to eat at one of my regular stop-offs ;) :) :thumbsup:

7xJJH20.jpg

JhadCe2.jpg

CTEmtKw.jpg

w9dKDJd.jpg

Lunch today in honor of Yorkshire Day
Chip Butty and Beer-Battered Atlantic Cod
sWkOCmq.jpg

Thank you Jack for the opportunity to increase my small flock of Lambfoot and for sharing a day of merriment. After watching your videos and looking up what I could regarding Yorkshire Day, I gladly join with you in the wonderful tradition of celebrating your beautiful home. Tomorrow I will make a point of donning my flat cap and lifting a beer or two. 🍻
Have a fantastic Yorkshire Day mate !!

Lunch today in honor of Yorkshire Day
Chip Butty and Beer-Battered Atlantic Cod
sWkOCmq.jpg

Thank you Jack for the opportunity to increase my small flock of Lambfoot and for sharing a day of merriment. After watching your videos and looking up what I could regarding Yorkshire Day, I gladly join with you in the wonderful tradition of celebrating your beautiful home. Tomorrow I will make a point of donning my flat cap and lifting a beer or two. 🍻
Have a fantastic Yorkshire Day mate !!

Wow James, what a treat! :) It's evening here, and you're making me hungry my friend! :D Thank you so much for joining in, I love your pic :) Happy Yorkshire Day :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack it was delicious! With British Isles as the lion share of my family heritage celebrating Yorkshire Day is my pleasure. Thank you for introducing me to it, Lambfoot Cutlery, and Chip Butty. :)

Back