Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

They look fantastic, you have done a great job. Did you apply an oil finish, looks like Tru-Oil. :thumbsup:
Tnx 🙏😌No oil at all. Just 600-1000-2000-4000 grit and finished with wax and cotton. I did not want to change the look of the wood by using oil, risking it to be darker

I just grabbed this little guy out of the mailbox, found it for cheap on the Big Auction Site.
Interesting find John, hard to believe the Millenium was 21 years ago! :eek: :thumbsup:
I chopped a bunch of garlic earlier - Sopranos' night tomorrow! :D :thumbsup:

I am looking forward to going to the market tomorrow, as I have missed 3 weeks down there. Think I might treat myself to a chip butty ;) :D Got my Rosewood Big 'Un on cake-cutting duty! ;) Have a good day Guardians :thumbsup:

81dW2ha.jpg

Wow - Jack now that’s a stout pull if you need pliers :eek: to open a Knife!!. To me that’s simply “ here take the Knife back”

That edge will go in time though Jack, are you using those Sharpening systems or do you use Stones Sir?

I like the idea of using stones Traditonally. It’s taken me years to learn how to get any sort of decent edge 😞 - now I can sharpen the knife and have a nice tidy edge - I can’t say that for my earlier years though.
I have to admit the frustration was terrible trying to get it- looking up ways on how to etc. I just persevered - I would love to watch someone who has the reputation of being very good in real life sharpening - like Gary G perhaps to pick up hints.
I changed my style of sharpening using stones when I lifted the tip off my stunning Damascus Lambsfoot - although only slight - it was infuriating- although I was doing the traditional way you see in the pamphlets that came with Bucks etc I never sharpen like that now-a-days, I always sharpen the way I can never do that to a tip again.

Ht5fvSK.jpg

I've had a pretty hard (and hot) day in the garden, I'm covered in nettle stings and bramble scars, but the day has flown! :D I came in at lunchtime to get a sausage sandwich, and the postie turned up with a package for me :)

Fixall Fixall had very thoughtfully sent me three vintage Lambsfoot knives :) :thumbsup:

32Cjjsz.jpg

The knives carry the makers marks of (from L to R) H.M. Slater (Venture), William Rodgers, and Herbert Robinson. Construction is a little different in each case.

8dtmEQJ.jpg

Here's a closer look at them:

H.M. Slater, with Bexoid covers.

GHkoRSc.jpg

q6ZVNA1.jpg

William Rodgers, with Horn covers.

FppCclu.jpg

7ZyVn1d.jpg

gd1tcM9.jpg

Herbert Robinson, with Jigged Bone covers, worn smooth with use.

m2TbYDt.jpg

ABMLUFh.jpg

EyG9GCw.jpg

I think maybe we knife users of today could (like @r8shell) learn a lot from some of those old knife owners, who bought the best knife they could afford, or perhaps received it as a gift or hand-me-down, and expected to use it for the rest of their days. I've seen plenty of Lambsfoot knives with considerably less blade than the Herbert Robinson, but those much-loved knives were clearly still in use :) Hoping to get some better pics of these vintage Sheffield Lambs soon. Thanks a lot for your kindness Fixall Fixall :thumbsup:

I'm glad to see they made it across the pond without a hitch. :)

They may be a little worse for wear, but I love coming across knives like these. Seeing the blades that worn makes me think they lived a long and useful life for their owners. So much history, and so many stories they could tell! The H.M. Slater in particular caught my eye in particular when I saw it because a friend of mine has a WW2 commando style fighting knife from them.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your week sir! :D

I chopped a bunch of garlic earlier - Sopranos' night tomorrow! :D :thumbsup:

I am looking forward to going to the market tomorrow, as I have missed 3 weeks down there. Think I might treat myself to a chip butty ;) :D Got my Rosewood Big 'Un on cake-cutting duty! ;) Have a good day Guardians :thumbsup:

81dW2ha.jpg

Sounds like you’ve got a busy Thursday planned, Jack. What all does Sopranos’ night entail? 😁

Wow - Jack now that’s a stout pull if you need pliers :eek: to open a Knife!!. To me that’s simply “ here take the Knife back”

That edge will go in time though Jack, are you using those Sharpening systems or do you use Stones Sir?

I like the idea of using stones Traditonally. It’s taken me years to learn how to get any sort of decent edge 😞 - now I can sharpen the knife and have a nice tidy edge - I can’t say that for my earlier years though.
I have to admit the frustration was terrible trying to get it- looking up ways on how to etc. I just persevered - I would love to watch someone who has the reputation of being very good in real life sharpening - like Gary G perhaps to pick up hints.
I changed my style of sharpening using stones when I lifted the tip off my stunning Damascus Lambsfoot - although only slight - it was infuriating- although I was doing the traditional way you see in the pamphlets that came with Bucks etc I never sharpen like that now-a-days, I always sharpen the way I can never do that to a tip again.
Hey Duncan, you just caught me pal, I was about to hit the hay! :D Yeah, well I took the word of the new owner about that parcel of knives, that sample and 50 or 60 others - If I'd checked them, he'd have had ALL of them back :thumbsdown: I've not done anything further with that knife, and have never carried it :(

Despite your modesty, I think you're very good at sharpening Duncan :) We have some very skilled people here on The Porch :thumbsup:

Have a good sleep Jack my friend, I am going to very carefully have a go with Chin's advice on my stout pull of the Guardian I put up the other day, can wait! got work to do before that though!
Have a great night or day folks!

I'm glad to see they made it across the pond without a hitch. :)

They may be a little worse for wear, but I love coming across knives like these. Seeing the blades that worn makes me think they lived a long and useful life for their owners. So much history, and so many stories they could tell! The H.M. Slater in particular caught my eye in particular when I saw it because a friend of mine has a WW2 commando style fighting knife from them.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your week sir! :D
Thanks again my friend :) I love the character that old knives have :) Slater were still in business until quite recently, and Stan Shaw made a few knives for them. It's a long time since they left their old Venture Works in the centre of Sheffield, but it is still there. Thank you very much, I'm having a good week, and I hope you are too :) :thumbsup:

bAe1H7z.jpg

Have a good sleep Jack my friend, I am going to very carefully have a go with Chin's advice on my stout pull of the Guardian I put up the other day, can wait! got work to do before that though!
Have a great night or day folks!

Thanks mate, I'm off now, had a hard day! :D I think you'll do OK lightening that pull Duncan, but if not, let me know, and I'll swap you ;) Hope you're well my friend :thumbsup:

Hey Duncan, you just caught me pal, I was about to hit the hay! :D Yeah, well I took the word of the new owner about that parcel of knives, that sample and 50 or 60 others - If I'd checked them, he'd have had ALL of them back :thumbsdown: I've not done anything further with that knife, and have never carried it :(

Despite your modesty, I think you're very good at sharpening Duncan :) We have some very skilled people here on The Porch :thumbsup:
No way jack my friend, That beauty is mine!! I wont let that one go my friend, but that's extremely nice of you- you are a very generous guy Jack - a massive thank you for everything, I am sure with some work I will get it - and then the Knife will be even more precious to me!:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back