Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Gracias my friend :) , hope your weekend is going great too !

African rosewood Lamb :) for a double lamb pic :cool:

N9OldVb.jpg
Thanks Dan, just taking it easy today :) Cool pic :cool: :D :thumbsup:
I feel another strop in the making.:)
LOL! :D Yeah, if I didn't have so many strops already, I probably have several belts I could re-purpose :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:
Breakfast of champions‼️ Sunday morning coffee with raspberry coffee cake. 😋
View attachment 1648104
Definitely! :) You're making me hungry! :D :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack. Apologies for the late reply I left early Tuesday for a few days in Birmingham for something to do with work.

I bought the Altras as there's something about the zero drop design possibly helping alleviate knee/hip pain.
Yesterday was my first big walk of this autumn/winter and I've got to say I didn't really feel any difference; even with my walking poles I still had a touch of knee pain at the end of the walk. Grip was better than the more common designs, and they are a huge improvement over my Merrells. I'm not calling them a failure as it was just one walk so I'll see how things go over the next few weeks. But saying that it'll be boot weather in couple months anyway.

That's a great furnace, where about is that? I'm not surprised to hear about the factories though, our cities are constant building sites nowadays.

Thanks Barrett thought you would of done. I recall you've posted a Fat Cat pic a few times from your visit and I thought you must of gone to the Kelham Island Tavern given their only about 100 yards apart.

Welcome. That's a great flock you have there. :thumbsup:

From my walk yesterday.
k2BAN8s.jpg

dYu8XLf.jpg

I hope everyone's had/having a nice weekend. :thumbsup:
No worries David, I hope the trip went OK :thumbsup: I did a fair bit of reading about them, as I'm always on the look-out for comfortable footwear. The last time I saw a podiatrist though, she told me I would be better having footwear with a drop, and flat footwear usually causes me a lot of metatarsel pain for some reason. Please keep me informed my friend :) I had my boots on for the first time in a while yesterday, but as we ended doing a different walk, I'd have been fine in my trail shoes :rolleyes:

Don't you know that furnace David? I guess with all the factories demolished, it's less 'tucked away' than it used to be! I'm surprised I didn't take you to it when we were in Sheffield, as it is quite close to where we were. It's near the bottom of St Philip's Road, which is close to the Shalesmoor tram stop. You can probably see it from there now :( It's the last of its kind, the city was littered with them at one time :thumbsup:

xlkLLQO.jpg

Great pics mate :) What was the weather like? Here, it was in the late 60's, but looked and felt like it was going to chuck it down all day :rolleyes: Some nice-looking horn on your Lamb :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks Barrett thought you would of done. I recall you've posted a Fat Cat pic a few times from your visit and I thought you must of gone to the Kelham Island Tavern given their only about 100 yards apart.

Yep, in addition to the Fat Cat, we stopped in the Kelham Island Tavern, The Bath Hotel and the Sheffield Tap (there might have been another, but those are the ones I remember). Unfortunately I didn’t do the best job taking pics that day, and the only ones I got at any of the pubs we visited were at the Fat Cat. Too busy having a good time, I suppose. 🙂

No worries David, I hope the trip went OK :thumbsup: I did a fair bit of reading about them, as I'm always on the look-out for comfortable footwear. The last time I saw a podiatrist though, she told me I would be better having footwear with a drop, and flat footwear usually causes me a lot of metatarsel pain for some reason. Please keep me informed my friend :) I had my boots on for the first time in a while yesterday, but as we ended doing a different walk, I'd have been fine in my trail shoes :rolleyes:

Don't you know that furnace David? I guess with all the factories demolished, it's less 'tucked away' than it used to be! I'm surprised I didn't take you to it when we were in Sheffield, as it is quite close to where we were. It's near the bottom of St Philip's Road, which is close to the Shalesmoor tram stop. You can probably see it from there now :( It's the last of its kind, the city was littered with them at one time :thumbsup:

xlkLLQO.jpg

Great pics mate :) What was the weather like? Here, it was in the late 60's, but looked and felt like it was going to chuck it down all day :rolleyes: Some nice-looking horn on your Lamb :cool: :thumbsup:
Ahhh interesting you mention the metatarsal pain as I did think that my feet ached at the end of the walk; but it could be just the distance I covered. I have had my feet professionally measured (at Outside in Hathersage) but never had a podiatry assessment carried out. I do have very defined arches so maybe zero drop isn't for me and I've swapped one pain for another eh? We'll see.

I've just been on Google maps and cannot find that furnace. 🔭🔍We went down to Globe works and Green Lane Works but we didn't cross over to the area near the Wellington, so if it's round there then we must of missed it.
That's like just north of me though. At one time it was a forest of mill chimneys and pit head winding gear. Now there can't be more than a dozen chimneys and there's only one winding gear left at the Lancashire Mining Museum.

TcmBKlo.jpg

kds6OEN.jpg

Sorry Jack didn't reply properly. The weather yesterday on the Lancashire fells was hot and sultry; really quite horrible and it reminded me of why I like walking in the winter. But I think we've had just a decent ordinary English summer. Kent was nice, and driving back up the country it's just been a decent ordinary summer. Unfortunately I've not ventured into God's Own so can't compare it to what you've had. :cool:

Yep, in addition to the Fat Cat, we stopped in the Kelham Island Tavern, The Bath Hotel and the Sheffield Tap (there might have been another, but those are the ones I remember). Unfortunately I didn’t do the best job taking pics that day, and the only ones I got at any of the pubs we visited were at the Fat Cat. Too busy having a good time, I suppose. 🙂
Hey Barrett I'm glad you enjoyed Sheffield:thumbsup:. If you don't enjoy yourself in Sheffield's ale pubs your doing something wrong 😀
I've got to say though, the Fat Cat in Norwich is a great pub; home to Fat Cat brewery. If ever you end up in the old world again I highly recommend a visit (if it's still there after this circus).

An evening ale.
6ov7v91.jpg

Thanks Jack. Apologies for the late reply I left early Tuesday for a few days in Birmingham for something to do with work.

I bought the Altras as there's something about the zero drop design possibly helping alleviate knee/hip pain.
Yesterday was my first big walk of this autumn/winter and I've got to say I didn't really feel any difference; even with my walking poles I still had a touch of knee pain at the end of the walk. Grip was better than the more common designs, and they are a huge improvement over my Merrells. I'm not calling them a failure as it was just one walk so I'll see how things go over the next few weeks. But saying that it'll be boot weather in couple months anyway.

That's a great furnace, where about is that? I'm not surprised to hear about the factories though, our cities are constant building sites nowadays.

Welcome. That's a great flock you have there. :thumbsup:

From my walk yesterday.
k2BAN8s.jpg

dYu8XLf.jpg

I hope everyone's had/having a nice weekend. :thumbsup:
Altras are my go to running shoe 👍.

It will take a while for you to see any benefit from using zero drop shoes. The lack of cushion on the heel causes your brain to adjust your walking/running so you don't heel strike as much, at least in theory.

Thank you Jon, I wish a few more of their owners would come back and show them here :thumbsup:
I'm trying Jack, I've been carrying my 2019 most days lately, but it is always at work, and either I don't use it in the lab, or I am too busy for photos in the field! I do still need to figure out which one is mine in the big group picture. I'll get a picture soon.

We will be harvesting grapes next week. Should be some good opportunities then.

A great day for sure Barrett :) :thumbsup:
Ahhh interesting you mention the metatarsal pain as I did think that my feet ached at the end of the walk; but it could be just the distance I covered. I have had my feet professionally measured (at Outside in Hathersage) but never had a podiatry assessment carried out. I do have very defined arches so maybe zero drop isn't for me and I've swapped one pain for another eh? We'll see.
Outside is pretty good for measuring, but I had several NHS appointments a couple of years back, (had NHS and Scholl podiatry in the past too). I was very impressed by the podiatrist I saw, who I think is the head podiatrist at Jimmy's in Leeds. Good luck with them anyway David :thumbsup:
I've just been on Google maps and cannot find that furnace. 🔭🔍We went down to Globe works and Green Lane Works but we didn't cross over to the area near the Wellington, so if it's round there then we must of missed it.
That's like just north of me though. At one time it was a forest of mill chimneys and pit head winding gear. Now there can't be more than a dozen chimneys and there's only one winding gear left at the Lancashire Mining Museum.

TcmBKlo.jpg

kds6OEN.jpg
You have certainly been very close to it mate. You know the dual-carriageway that comes down the hill, opposite the Globe Works? It's on the left-hand side, looking up, a couple of streets up, on Doncaster Street, about 20 yards from the junction. I can't believe that they're now referring to that area as the 'Saint Vincent's Quarter' - it was once known as 'Cutler's Hill', and when my grandfather lived there, as a boy, in the early 20th century, as 'The Crofts'. It was one of the most deprived areas in the city, and ruled by 'razor gangs' at night. Before he moved to Kelham Island, Stan Shaw had his workshop there, and there were many famous tool-makers and cutlers based there, but they have bulldozed it almost entirely over the past few years :( By coincidence I'm just re-reading a book about the Sheffield Gang Wars, the predominant gang in that area being the Mooney Gang.

6ExStok.jpg

Excellent photos David :) I wonder what folks in those towns would have thought, even 50 years ago, if you'd have told them that all those industries would have been gone by the dawn of the 21st century? I don't they'd have believed it! :(
Sorry Jack didn't reply properly. The weather yesterday on the Lancashire fells was hot and sultry; really quite horrible and it reminded me of why I like walking in the winter. But I think we've had just a decent ordinary English summer. Kent was nice, and driving back up the country it's just been a decent ordinary summer. Unfortunately I've not ventured into God's Own so can't compare it to what you've had. :cool:
I guess that's it until next year now mate, but I also do most of my walking outside the summer :thumbsup:
An evening ale.
6ov7v91.jpg
All the makings of a pleasant evening David ;)

I just spoke to someone who was in one of North Bar's bars this afternoon. He had two pints of a hazelnut and coconut porter. The robbing swines don't take cash, so he didn't realise how much he'd been stung for until later - £30! :eek: He didn't tell me how much the round he paid for came to!! :eek: :rolleyes:
View attachment 1648229
found this gem today with my daughters artwork as background.
Fantastic photo, your daughter is very talented :) :thumbsup:

It will take a while for you to see any benefit from using zero drop shoes. The lack of cushion on the heel causes your brain to adjust your walking/running so you don't heel strike as much, at least in theory.
I read that! At my age, I need fast results! :D :thumbsup:

I'm trying Jack, I've been carrying my 2019 most days lately, but it is always at work, and either I don't use it in the lab, or I am too busy for photos in the field! I do still need to figure out which one is mine in the big group picture. I'll get a picture soon.

We will be harvesting grapes next week. Should be some good opportunities then.
Nice to hear that you're carrying it so often my friend :) If you can get a pic, we can hopefully work out which one is yours :) That sounds good :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice Jon :thumbsup: You sound like what we call in my part of the world a 'fell runner' (hill runner). I'm just using them for walking, my running days are well over. 😀 I'll certainly persist with them and hopefully realize their full benefits.

Outside is pretty good for measuring, but I had several NHS appointments a couple of years back, (had NHS and Scholl podiatry in the past too). I was very impressed by the podiatrist I saw, who I think is the head podiatrist at Jimmy's in Leeds. Good luck with them anyway David :thumbsup:
Cheers Jack.

You have certainly been very close to it mate. You know the dual-carriageway that comes down the hill, opposite the Globe Works? It's on the left-hand side, looking up, a couple of streets up, on Doncaster Street, about 20 yards from the junction. I can't believe that they're now referring to that area as the 'Saint Vincent's Quarter' - it was once known as 'Cutler's Hill', and when my grandfather lived there, as a boy, in the early 20th century, as 'The Crofts'. It was one of the most deprived areas in the city, and ruled by 'razor gangs' at night. Before he moved to Kelham Island, Stan Shaw had his workshop there, and there were many famous tool-makers and cutlers based there, but they have bulldozed it almost entirely over the past few years :( By coincidence I'm just re-reading a book about the Sheffield Gang Wars, the predominant gang in that area being the Mooney Gang.

6ExStok.jpg
I remember you mentioning the 'Razor Gangs'. I looked them up as according to my mum her dad mentioned similar gangs in Glasgow. All gives a lie to myth of the civilized Victorian and Edwardian era. I was lent a book about the 'real Peaky Blinders' of the Black Country in the Midlands and they were brutal, even by modern standards.

'St' Vincents Quarter' sounds like another marketing ploy to sell overpriced apartments to folk with more money than sense. 😁 I can't remember but I think it's Manchester that has more quarters...than quarters. :rolleyes:

Excellent photos David :) I wonder what folks in those towns would have thought, even 50 years ago, if you'd have told them that all those industries would have been gone by the dawn of the 21st century? I don't they'd have believed it! :(
No different to the ruins of our own civilization what we'll be looking at in 50 years.

I just spoke to someone who was in one of North Bar's bars this afternoon. He had two pints of a hazelnut and coconut porter. The robbing swines don't take cash, so he didn't realise how much he'd been stung for until later - £30! :eek: He didn't tell me how much the round he paid for came to!! :eek: :rolleyes:
Thirty quid!! Crikey! And that's before the VAT rise in October! :oops: I've been running round a list of pubs in the old industrial north west before our Traitor-in-chief shuts them all down again in a few weeks, and I've not paid more than £3 for a pint. :cool::thumbsup:

I remember you mentioning the 'Razor Gangs'. I looked them up as according to my mum her dad mentioned similar gangs in Glasgow. All gives a lie to myth of the civilized Victorian and Edwardian era. I was lent a book about the 'real Peaky Blinders' of the Black Country in the Midlands and they were brutal, even by modern standards.

'St' Vincents Quarter' sounds like another marketing ploy to sell overpriced apartments to folk with more money than sense. 😁 I can't remember but I think it's Manchester that has more quarters...than quarters. :rolleyes:

No different to the ruins of our own civilization what we'll be looking at in 50 years.

Thirty quid!! Crikey! And that's before the VAT rise in October! :oops: I've been running round a list of pubs in the old industrial north west before our Traitor-in-chief shuts them all down again in a few weeks, and I've not paid more than £3 for a pint. :cool::thumbsup:
The gangs, and their leading members, were still commonly talked about when I was a kid David, though I think the gang problems were far greater, and still ongoing, to some extent. One of the Sheffield gangs had strong link with the Brummagem Boys, and they aided each other at the racecourses, and in their various feuds.

Totally mate! :rolleyes: That area used to have some great pubs, but almost all of those, that have not been flattened, have been transformed out of all recognition :(

Glad to hear you've been getting better priced ale mate :) I have to go down to London for the day in a couple of weeks - fuel permitting - so that will be interesting, and no doubt expensive! :eek: :rolleyes:

Good Evening Guardians, hope you have had a pleasant weekend. Just reading the thread while having some breakfast.

SyFpeUb.jpg

Keeping the patina going on some iron.

UEmzcj0.jpg

Strawberry and banana Protein Shake.

fOXnjZJ.jpg

English Muffins with some peanut butter. Just waiting for the kettle to boil for a nice pot of tea.:p

Good Evening Guardians, hope you have had a pleasant weekend. Just reading the thread while having some breakfast.

SyFpeUb.jpg

UEmzcj0.jpg

fOXnjZJ.jpg

English Muffins with some peanut butter. Just waiting for the kettle to boil for a nice pot of tea.:p
Looks yummy, and that blade looks great! Bananas really patina a carbon blade don’t they? I was shocked the first time I cut a banana and saw what it did to my blade, wasn’t expecting that from a banana.

Looks yummy, and that blade looks great! Bananas really patina a carbon blade don’t they? I was shocked the first time I cut a banana and saw what it did to my blade, wasn’t expecting that from a banana.
Yes, it must have something to do with the potassium reacting with the carbon steel. But that is only a guess. :)

SyFpeUb.jpg

UEmzcj0.jpg

fOXnjZJ.jpg

That looks like a very tasty breakfast Leon, I'm glad you're able to post photos again :) :thumbsup:
I don't often slice bananas, so had really noticed that Todd, but I remember being surprised at how quickly strawberries affect carbon steel :)

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone had a good weekend. Dark skies and heavy rain here! I was planning a trip to town, but if the rain keeps up like this, I'll be staying put! :D I finished reading my Sheffield history book, most of the pubs mentioned, I've been in, but none of them remain. I noticed this photo of Sheffield slums (below) from 1925. There was still housing like that in Sheffield when I was growing up in the 1960's, and in fact my grandparents, on my dad's side, lived in housing very similar to that shown in the top photo until 1970 (my other grandparents were moved to a new house in the early 60's, and must have thought they had gone to heaven, because from what I know, their situation was even worse).

Have a good week Guardians :thumbsup:

yuSNDYB.jpg

That looks like a very tasty breakfast Leon, I'm glad you're able to post photos again :) :thumbsup:

I don't often slice bananas, so had really noticed that Todd, but I remember being surprised at how quickly strawberries affect carbon steel :)

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone had a good weekend. Dark skies and heavy rain here! I was planning a trip to town, but if the rain keeps up like this, I'll be staying put! :D I finished reading my Sheffield history book, most of the pubs mentioned, I've been in, but none of them remain. I noticed this photo of Sheffield slums (below) from 1925. There was still housing like that in Sheffield when I was growing up in the 1960's, and in fact my grandparents, on my dad's side, lived in housing very similar to that shown in the top photo until 1970 (my other grandparents were moved to a new house in the early 60's, and must have thought they had gone to heaven, because from what I know, their situation was even worse).

Have a good week Guardians :thumbsup:

yuSNDYB.jpg
We don't realize how lucky we are, those poor people went through hell, my Auntie and her best mate, spent their weekends helping the poor in those slum areas over here in a Suburb called Fitzroy, it was the toughest suburb in Melbourne, now it is gentrified, my Auntie never had any money, all her wages went on paying rent and putting food on the tables of those less fortunate.

Back