Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Patina beside no patina, i enjoy watching the colors change with the light and angle of the light. Just took these two pictures this morning. Have a great Sunday everyone :thumbsup:
G8zjW62.jpg

RGGibiM.jpg

Superb pics Rob, it's nice to see that the 'Real Lamb Foot' electro-etch has stayed on the patinaed blade, looks very cool I think :) :thumbsup:

Here's a pic of my original ebony Lambsfoot (which didn't have the RLF etch) and my ebony '18, which is just starting to get a little patina. I have a habit of wiping blades with my bandana after using them, and this can lead to streaking the patina, which doesn't look so good. I'll have to try not to do that with my ebony Guardian :thumbsup:

Ebony Lambsfoot.JPG

Yesterday I treated my A. Wright Buffalo Lambsfoot to an overdue spa day. First, its edge was honed and stropped back to shaving sharp. Then its joint and spring were oiled and cleaned, restoring its smooth action.

That’s where I usually stop, but yesterday I added a bonus treatment. Its horn covers were wiped with mineral oil and then further conditioned with the homemade mineral oil and beeswax wood balm I use on my little carvings. I let a thin covering of the balm sit for about ten minutes and then wiped off the excess with a cloth.

The horn treatment is a new step for me. I am hoping that it’ll help reduce the amount of seasonal horn shrinkage that mine encounters during the dry months. I’ll report back on that later. In the mean time, it looks shinier and ready for more adventure.

8J9qQL0h.jpg

Thanks Jack! You certainly have an eclectic taste in music and film :D but then from what I recall Sheffield always did have a great music scene. :thumbsup:
I went away week last Thursday to York to my mates wedding to maximize my time in my old city :thumbsup:
The happy couple.

zhIWnL0.jpg

And it's always good to make some of the York pubs. :thumbsup: I didn't get into the Blue Bell this time :( but we made it to the Phoenix last Sunday for their excellent Sunday afternoon jazz session :cool:
And of course...the Ackhorne :thumbsup::thumbsup: An oasis of calm... :cool:
704GWAV.jpg

I've worn a few of these cobbles down myself over the years... :D
pRoi4fl.jpg

Unfortunately it was back to reality on Tuesday for a couple of job interviews...:rolleyes:

Hope everyone's having a nice weekend :thumbsup:

-David.

Yesterday I treated my A. Wright Buffalo Lambsfoot to an overdue spa day. First, its edge was honed and stropped back to shaving sharp. Then its joint and spring were oiled and cleaned, restoring its smooth action.

That’s where I usually stop, but yesterday I added a bonus treatment. Its horn covers were wiped with mineral oil and then further conditioned with the homemade mineral oil and beeswax wood balm I use on my little carvings. I let a thin covering of the balm sit for about ten minutes and then wiped off the excess with a cloth.

The horn treatment is a new step for me. I am hoping that it’ll help reduce the amount of seasonal horn shrinkage that mine encounters during the dry months. I’ll report back on that later. In the mean time, it looks shinier and ready for more adventure.

8J9qQL0h.jpg

Excuse me for asking Greg but could you elaborate on the treatment for the horn covers? They certainly look great in that shot :thumbsup: Is there a specific proportion for the two ingredients?

Many thanks.

-David.

Thanks Jack ! I suspect the etch will stay awhile:thumbsup:

I hope so Rob :)

8J9qQL0h.jpg

Nice work Greg, that looks great :) Hope it works, be sure to let us know my friend :thumbsup:

haha been waiting on my guardian slips! keeping up with thread tho. its certainly been awhile, hope you and everyone have been well

Great to see you here Jack! :D All good, hope you are too :) I can't wait to see the slips :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! You certainly have an eclectic taste in music and film :D but then from what I recall Sheffield always did have a great music scene. :thumbsup:
I went away week last Thursday to York to my mates wedding to maximize my time in my old city :thumbsup:
The happy couple.

zhIWnL0.jpg

And it's always good to make some of the York pubs. :thumbsup: I didn't get into the Blue Bell this time :( but we made it to the Phoenix last Sunday for their excellent Sunday afternoon jazz session :cool:
And of course...the Ackhorne :thumbsup::thumbsup: An oasis of calm... :cool:
704GWAV.jpg

I've worn a few of these cobbles down myself over the years... :D
pRoi4fl.jpg

Unfortunately it was back to reality on Tuesday for a couple of job interviews...:rolleyes:

Hope everyone's having a nice weekend :thumbsup:

-David.

That band used to busk in Sheffield city centre - Kelvin Flats, Red Mires, Roscoe Banks, I forget the names of the others! :D Thanks for the great pics, congratulations to the happy couple, and good luck with the job applications my friend :) I am just sat outside the Harewood Arms (not often I post from my phone!) ;)

20180715_150938.jpg

I hope so Rob :)

Nice work Greg, that looks great :) Hope it works, be sure to let us know my friend :thumbsup:

Great to see you here Jack! :D All good, hope you are too :) I can't wait to see the slips :thumbsup:

That band used to busk in Sheffield city centre - Kelvin Flats, Red Mires, Roscoe Banks, I forget the names of the others! :D Thanks for the great pics, congratulations to the happy couple, and good luck with the job applications my friend :) I am just sat outside the Harewood Arms (not often I post from my phone!) ;)

View attachment 946338

tracking number received!! should be here soon :):D

Patina beside no patina, i enjoy watching the colors change with the light and angle of the light. Just took these two pictures this morning. Have a great Sunday everyone :thumbsup:
G8zjW62.jpg

RGGibiM.jpg
Nice and clear pic's Rob,I was trying to explain to my Son's mother-in-law what a patina is, last evening. :p Should have had these pics, could have saved me 45 min of frustration. :rolleyes:

Nice and clear pic's Rob,I was trying to explain to my Son's mother-in-law what a patina is, last evening. :p Should have had these pics, could have saved me 45 min of frustration. :rolleyes:

:D :thumbsup:

Thanks Dave, you are welcome to save a copy of these pics and give her a visual next time.

Most of us like and use many blade shapes, for versatility though, I prefer the Lambsfoot above all others. In comparison to the mighty Sheepsfoot, I think it offers greater precision, allowing the user to see precisely where the tip is being placed, which isn't always possible with a Sheepsfoot, while sacrificing little in strength. I also find the Lambsfoot more precise than the Coping blade, more versatile and easier to use, and also stronger. As for the Wharncliffe, I think it is even more precise, again because it is easier to see exactly where the point is, I think it offers greater control, and considerably more strength. I'm biased, but I think the Lambsfoot is also the most aesthetically pleasing ;) :thumbsup:

For many newcomers to the Lambsfoot pattern it is a revelation that a few subtle differences can make for such an incredibly good user. But you really have to try one out to appreciate that. Personally, I find that a Swayback frame enhances the ergonomics of the Lambsfoot blade considerably :thumbsup:

Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say, and thanks again Jeff for your interest :) :thumbsup:
Good explanation. Thanks.

View attachment 946338

Cheers Jack. I hope that Sam Smith's tastes as good as it looks...:thumbsup:

Back