Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Yes, the weather is doing its own thing these days, hot and dry, we have a lot of forest fires West of us. Buy the way I hear ladybugs love a good stout and a bag of crisps. :p

Hope they can be brought under control. We've had moorland fires burning for the past few weeks, causing a lot of damage to wildlife and to what is a fairly fragile environment (peat) :(

I'll try and remember that! :D :thumbsup:

I took this outside to try and find a Lady-Bug but all I could attract were some ants - so I brought it back inside.
View attachment 946502

Welcome to The Guardians OG! ;) :) :thumbsup:

Just curious, how is the action on your GW lambsfoot?
It's pinchable for my average sized fingers with a pull that isn't overly resistant - probably about a 5. As you probably know, there are no half-stops. It opens firmly and closes with a snap. I like it a lot - it sees a lot of pocket time.

It's pinchable for my average sized fingers with a pull that isn't overly resistant - probably about a 5. As you probably know, there are no half-stops. It opens firmly and closes with a snap. I like it a lot - it sees a lot of pocket time.

How do you find the Lambsfoot blade itself OG? :thumbsup:

The one I have was marketed and bought as a "second". When I got it, the blade wasn't completely finished meaning only partially ground. So, I sent it off feeling my abilities wouldn't be up to the task. Given that it has been properly ground and sharpened, I have had no problems with use and it holds an edge very well.

That’s both good and bad to hear. Good that yours is up to par, but bad because that tells me I ended up with a lemon. I have the same knife in black delrin. Fairly weak pull, which by itself isn’t a deal breaker for me. But no snap open. Just too soft all the way around. I’m not talented or knowledgeable enough to know if it’s a weak spring, poorly cut tang, all of the above, or something else entirely.

I’m going to give it a mineral oil bath and a thorough cleaning, but I’m not sure that’s going to help. I might have to relegate it to being a collector piece only.

Excuse me for asking Greg but could you elaborate on the treatment for the horn covers? They certainly look great in that shot :thumbsup: Is there a specific proportion for the two ingredients?

Happy to, David. Not much more to say, though. I used a bit of mineral oil to refresh the luster, as I did last year, but then decided I'd give the wood balm a try since others had discussed wax products in the past (if I'm remembering correctly). So, I applied a thin layer with my fingers and let it sit for a while to allow more mineral oil to soak in and the wax to set up a bit. Then I wiped, buffed it off with a piece of old t-shirt. Time will tell if it helps any more than leaving it untreated. In the mean time, I doubt it will cause any harm. Either way, I'll report back to the group after a while.

The balm is from recipe I found in a carving book I have. The ratio is 1 liter of mineral oil to 500 grams of beeswax. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more information.

I was so wrapped up in that particular knife, I didn't realize you were asking me for impressions of the Lambsfoot style.
Presently, this is the only one I have although I have a few blades of the Sheepsfoot variety.
I got this one to give the style a try and have found it to be more capable than I was expecting. The style is not only easy to maneuver in tighter areas, but surprisingly seems to be a very good all around performer in lighter daily tasks. The more I use it, the more I like it and I'm looking forward to getting others.

The one I have was marketed and bought as a "second". When I got it, the blade wasn't completely finished meaning only partially ground. So, I sent it off feeling my abilities wouldn't be up to the task. Given that it has been properly ground and sharpened, I have had no problems with use and it holds an edge very well.

That's interesting, I wonder where it came from. As you probably know, like Joseph Rodgers, the George Wostenholm/IXL marks were bought up years ago by the Eggington Group, and there's no connection to the companies of old. They get knives made up by the decreasing number of jobbing cutlers around the town, and indeed wherever they can, so quality varies a lot I think. That's a nice-looking blade (quite a bit of cant on it), is it stainless?

That’s both good and bad to hear. Good that yours is up to par, but bad because that tells me I ended up with a lemon. I have the same knife in black delrin. Fairly weak pull, which by itself isn’t a deal breaker for me. But no snap open. Just too soft all the way around. I’m not talented or knowledgeable enough to know if it’s a weak spring, poorly cut tang, all of the above, or something else entirely.

I’m going to give it a mineral oil bath and a thorough cleaning, but I’m not sure that’s going to help. I might have to relegate it to being a collector piece only.

Disappointing :( I bought a 'Joseph Rodgers' Barlow Lambsfoot a year or so ago. I wasn't impressed with the quality, particularly for the price. I hope you can make it better :thumbsup:

Happy to, David. Not much more to say, though. I used a bit of mineral oil to refresh the luster, as I did last year, but then decided I'd give the wood balm a try since others had discussed wax products in the past (if I'm remembering correctly). So, I applied a thin layer with my fingers and let it sit for a while to allow more mineral oil to soak in and the wax to set up a bit. Then I wiped, buffed it off with a piece of old t-shirt. Time will tell if it helps any more than leaving it untreated. In the mean time, I doubt it will cause any harm. Either way, I'll report back to the group after a while.

The balm is from recipe I found in a carving book I have. The ratio is 1 liter of mineral oil to 500 grams of beeswax. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more information.

I should oil the horn knives I have in storage really :oops:

I was so wrapped up in that particular knife, I didn't realize you were asking me for impressions of the Lambsfoot style.
Presently, this is the only one I have although I have a few blades of the Sheepsfoot variety.
I got this one to give the style a try and have found it to be more capable than I was expecting. The style is not only easy to maneuver in tighter areas, but surprisingly seems to be a very good all around performer in lighter daily tasks. The more I use it, the more I like it and I'm looking forward to getting others.

Nice though that blade is now OG, I think you'll find a big difference when you get something else :) :thumbsup:

"Is it stainless?"
Yes - it is 420S45 which I am not familiar with but I found it to be described as "a medium carbon martensitic stainless steel that offers high strength, outstanding hardenability as well as a moderate resilience to corrosion".
Sounds pretty cool, anyway.

"Is it stainless?"
Yes - it is 420S45 which I am not familiar with but I found it to be described as "a medium carbon martensitic stainless steel that offers high strength, outstanding hardenability as well as a moderate resilience to corrosion".
Sounds pretty cool, anyway.

Thanks OG :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, another week, hope everyone has a good one :) I'm sticking with this year's ebony Guardians edition today :thumbsup:

2018 Ebony Guardians Lambsfoot 4-5.JPG

That's nice! Is this a full-size lambsfoot, somehow it looks a wee bit smaller? Then again it could be me, I think the Missus was adjusting, my office chair. o_O:rolleyes:

A small one ,just the perfect size for my liking.

Back